Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 02:23   #241

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Even I am getting my Altroz next week and swapping out the MRF ZVTV’s with Conti UC6. Michelin P4ST’s are available in my area in Bangalore but the new import restriction will cause a problem if I need to claim warranty. 195/65/R16 is a very common choice and with local manufacturers producing multiple varieties it wont be imported easily. The two other options are Yokohama Blu Earth1 and Yoko Earth 1. Pirelli Verde is very soft and it makes me worried with the Bangalore (off)roads.
Old 19th December 2021, 08:51   #242
BHPian

The iTurbo is 195/55/R16, right, and not 195/65/R16? Yes, I ruled out the Pirelli for the same reason. I forsee a lot more punctures with the Pirellis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghadeep13 View Post
Even I am getting my Altroz next week and swapping out the MRF ZVTV’s with Conti UC6. Michelin P4ST’s are available in my area in Bangalore but the new import restriction will cause a problem if I need to claim warranty. 195/65/R16 is a very common choice and with local manufacturers producing multiple varieties it wont be imported easily. The two other options are Yokohama Blu Earth1 and Yoko Earth 1. Pirelli Verde is very soft and it makes me worried with the Bangalore (off)roads.
Old 19th December 2021, 08:55   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
The iTurbo is 195/55/R16, right, and not 195/65/R16? Yes, I ruled out the Pirelli for the same reason. I forsee a lot more punctures with the Pirellis.
Yes you are correct. Its 195/55/R16. I typed 65 by mistake
arghadeep13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 09:18   #244
BHPian

Hi: got my iturbo Altroz 3 days back and am enjoying a very comfortable drive in terms of great suspensions and handling, and very sorted out, thoughtful electronic features- seems rather dramatic, having transitioned from my 800cc 2012 Hyundai Eon However: few small queries:
1. Any idea at what RPM does the turbo kick in? (Couldn't find it in owners manual). Felt driving in city traffic a little tricky (lower pickup than expected) than my prior NA engine and had certainly felt the pickup to be better on the test drive vehicle(must confess In driving only in city drive mode and haven't yet engaged sports mode- as the vehicle is still in its running-in period).
Not sure if this is just the turbo lag that I should get used to- or am I overreacting and should allow the engine to run some more and familiarise myself with the driving dynamics more (present ODO 200kms)? Does changing the spark plug(as had been tried with NA petrol) help, considering it's the same 1.2L revotron engine? Did enquire about ECU updates- there are none for iTurbo.
2. How safe is it to use idle start-stop (during and after city usage- where turbo RPMs are rarely getting used), considering it's a turbo engine that should ideally be cooled before turning it off?
3. Idling at start- the owner's manual specifically advises "Do not warm up the engine when the vehicle is stationary": IMHO this goes against the general dictum of idling at start for the fuel circulation to occur- what am I missing? (Although I suspect that the owner's manual given with the vehicle is the one which is given with NA petrol engine and doesn't specifically mention the precautions to be observed with iTurbo- they haven't really bothered to update the manual which still mentions ECO/CITY modes).

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 23rd December 2021 at 09:20.
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:08   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Hi: got my iturbo Altroz 3 days back and am enjoying a very comfortable drive
In my short experience with my cousin's Altroz turbo what I had noticed was city mode was useless in city conditions, the car really feels slow and laggy. I always used the sports mode in city conditions, don't worry, it won't hurt the engine, keeps the revvs low and be gentle with the throttle, that's all.

Always let the engine warm up before driving off, if I remember correctly altroz's engine takes around 15-20 seconds to settle down around 1k RPM. That's the time needed for the engine oil to warm up.

With the rising costs of petrol it is good to use start stop function as many people don't turn off their engines. But at many instances when the stop light is only for under 10 seconds you find it pointless as well.

Last edited by yesyeswe : 23rd December 2021 at 12:13.
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:36   #246
BHPian

My Altroz iTurbo is arriving sooner than expected! The dealer confirmed earlier this week that I should receive it this weekend and I'm hoping to pick it up on Sunday.

It's taken just under four weeks for the delivery, which is much ahead of schedule as the dealer initially said it would take 7-8 weeks. The iTurbo has a lot lesser demand than the NA petrol and diesel hence the quick turnaround time. The dealer had offered a dark version just a week after booking, but I wasn't too keen on black.

I've decided to swap the stock tyres for Michelin Primacy 4St. Already spoken to a tyre dealer in Bangalore who has agreed to take the stock tyre for Rs. 3500, while the new one would cost Rs. 9200 per tyre, which seems like a good deal.
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:49   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post

Always let the engine warm up before driving off, if I remember correctly altroz's engine takes around 15-20 seconds to settle down around 1k RPM. That's the time needed for the engine oil to warm up.
+1
It is always advisable allow cars with Turbocharged engines to idle for anywhere between 30 seconds to a minute during cold starts and also before turning the ignition off after a drive. It helps prevent premature turbo failures. Essential reading on this here (Why you must practice the "Idling Rule" with Turbo-Charged Cars)
vik99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 23:10   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Our friendly neighborhood AutoSpy caught up with an Altroz i-Turbo test mule on the streets of Pune last Friday.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-1.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-2.jpg

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-3.jpg

It was a manual. The sticker on the right of the rear windshield indicated a batch number only.

Flex fuel testing? Components? Your guess is as good as mine.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 07:50   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Our friendly neighborhood AutoSpy caught up with an Altroz i-Turbo test mule on the streets of Pune last Friday.

It was a manual. The sticker on the right of the rear windshield indicated a batch number only.
[Djay] Damn, I've been at this thread with an eagle eye just to confirm when/if the test mules for the dual-clutch automatic, IF at all will be on the roads for testing. Got my hopes built up seeing the pics, only for them to be shatterred when read the line - 'it was a manual'

A question - how did you determine that this was a test mule and not a test drive vehicle? Also, from the pics it seems to be a pretty roughed out mule given the scratches aplenty on the back left hand side bumper.
Old 28th December 2021, 14:11   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
A question - how did you determine that this was a test mule and not a test drive vehicle? Also, from the pics it seems to be a pretty roughed out mule given the scratches aplenty on the back left hand side bumper.
Valid question.

Test drive vehicles usually carry the name of the dealerships to whom they are allotted. Plus, stickers with batch numbers are not stuck on their windshields, either front or rear.

Scratches in urban traffic conditions is a given. Plus, occupants of such cars are usually more involved in the test bed readings which are thrown up regularly on their laptops/Tabs and are half-busy recording them or noting them down. A side-swipe by a random two-wheeler is bound to happen, specially if the test mule has done plenty of in-city runs before.

Like I said above, something is brewing with the i-Turbo. What it is, will be clear in the days to come.
Old 28th December 2021, 15:11   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said above, something is brewing with the i-Turbo. What it is, will be clear in the days to come.
I am guessing an updated engine spec identical to Nexon 1.2 turbo
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 00:49   #252
BHPian

Quote:

I hope to God that it's testing with the engines in the Nexon's state of tune with that sweet 6-speed gearbox! I have been practically praying for Tata to do this since they already set precedent with the Harrier refresh with 30 more horses. If they weren't bothered about the Harrier eating into the Safari's sales (after its launch) at the time, I don't think they should be worried about the Altroz cannibalizing the Nexon now, either!
RoverX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 13:26   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
Seems like we might finally see the launch of Altroz with a proper automatic gearbox (read DCT) in the next few months.
Birdie confirms that the testing of the Altroz AT has entered it's final phase.

Automatic will be in petrol only. No diesel.

Expect a launch in the next 3-4 months.
RavenAvi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 15:17   #254
BHPian

I also saw the test mule yesterday on the Kolhapur-Pune road. I am sure the engine was a petrol from the engine note. No other changes to the car, so it was not a facelift for sure.
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-img_42742.jpg
nimishlalwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 16:41   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Automatic will be in petrol only. No diesel.
Tata never fail to fail miserably at product planning, don't they?!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks