Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2021, 11:20   #196
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

I think what Skoda did with the Octavia is placed it as a halo product! This one is really meant for the well heeled mostly young enthusiast who cant afford the next segment or all out sports cars and wants something new. It might convert a few SUV aspirants but I guess, not many. The lower order jeep compass s will still sell, and the 4x4 top end jeep compass aspirant is probably not heading to a sedan anyways! However, for enthusiast small families, just couples or single buyers this is still a fantastic deal over the entry level premiums like the 2 series, A class and A3(when it launches). Close by quality, and in some cases a more fun engine+tranny, along with more practicality and probably a better india suited ride! Frankly, I am glad to see a heavier car. I might be the only one, but I felt the last gen octy and most other VAG car quality and build just wasn’t as good as expected. I have definitely seen way better from VAG in the past.
If you think about it, the Superb and maybe the Kodiaq are the real contenders to move people away from the real premium segment. Now all they will need to do is a good job on the new bigger rapid, and price the Karoq right. I think those are really the ones that will pull in the numbers and margins.

For us, this would have been our 3rd attempt at buying an Octavia in the last 5 years, we love it! However, I couldn’t wait any longer and went in for the base X1 late last year. I knew it would hurt when the new Octy launched, but now I feel rather good about our purchase. I got it for about 5L higher than the L&K price and it suits our family with dog and child really well! The engine+gearbox is fun too and probably faster and more reliable. However, as someone mentioned late 2020 prices are not worth comparing with. Standing today too, I am not sure if I would pick the Octavia blindly but it might have been a strong contender!
Old 12th June 2021, 11:52   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Amidst tens of posts cribbing without justification about the pricing of the Octavia, this is one of the few that makes sense in my view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
One of the most practical takes on the pricing and one that I couldn’t agree more.

The new Octavia is definitely not overpriced. For those who want it and are falling a little short on budget can and must wait for discounts to roll in. Mind you, once you drive it for a while, you won’t like or want any other car (provided you want a sedan in first place). And definitely not Elantra!
We are again comparing the On-Road prices of previous models. Every One lakh hike in Base price, we end up paying almost 60K more as taxes, which magnifies the effect. And we also compare the discounted prices of base variant of the next segments vehicle. If we wait we might get some discounts in Octavia too which would correct these perceptions.
Old 12th June 2021, 11:59   #198
BHPian

If I being an enthusiast was in the market for a car with 30-35 lacs budget, I would still buy this!

Octavia has grown in size, has better engine/gearbox, is still the sportiest sedan with great equipment list and delivers 90% of 3 series at 70% price.

Prices in general have increased a lot in the market scenario. People are buying Creta 1.4 AT top end for 18 lac ex showroom like hot cakes (NO OFFENCE TO CRETA OWNERS), the extra 10 lacs this is costing is justifiable as it’s way more safer, powerful, well engineered and sportier. It’s just that now we realise how VFM the outgoing Octavia was. It offered immense value for its price which has us spoiled to seek same VFM quotient in this new generation which is better in every aspect, and hence the higher price.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 13:29   #199
Senior - BHPian

2021 Skoda Octavia compared with Hyundai Tucson
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 15:14   #200

Surprised to see the compass appear to have lesser body roll than the euro-spec octavia!
Ofcourse, the Octavia may have a sharper turn in & steering feel.

Thoughts ?
Experts that have driven both cars, please comment!

Am I right in the thinking the compass suspension is un unchanged from global model in India?

reddify is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 16:13   #201
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Phew! Not having bought a car for so long, really sandbagged by the prices. In the late 90s, early 2000s, the Octavia was aspirational for me, at approx. 10 lakh, along with the 1st-gen Honda City and the Opel Astra. After a few years came the Laura at 14-16 lakh and the Superb at approx. 18L. Makes me wonder, "what the hell!".
The only surviving car, the city, is 50-60% more expensive and the Octavia? 300%?!!!

Just because the big three have moved up, are we justifying the Octavia also moving up two segments?

Or maybe...I am stuck in a time warp.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th June 2021 at 16:42. Reason: Please avoid using abbreviations such as OHC and Octy
handsofsteel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 16:45   #202
BANNED

I too vote for the older version's grill. The grill in the older variant is apt and subtle with a thin chrome border. The new variant's grill is rather glaring with lots of chrome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Great Review

Still the older version looks elegant.

Attachment 2165970

Image Courtesy : Team-bhp Official Reviews
overtaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 17:30   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddify View Post
Surprised to see the compass appear to have lesser body roll than the euro-spec octavia!
Have not driven new Octavia, so can’t compare with that. But having driven Compass Diesel Manual extensively definitely it has more body roll than MK3 Octavia Diesel (with torsion beam). But not fair to compare as one is low slung sedan and other one a crossover / SUV. The go anywhere ability that Compass has, Octavia can only dream of.
Infact both of them are my favourites in the respective segments, irrespective of the price.

Last edited by sunikkat : 12th June 2021 at 17:33.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 19:56   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Phew! Not having bought a car for so long, really sandbagged by the prices. In the late 90s, early 2000s, the Octavia was aspirational for me, at approx. 10 lakh, along with the 1st-gen Honda City and the Opel Astra. After a few years came the Laura at 14-16 lakh and the Superb at approx. 18L. Makes me wonder, "what the hell!".
The only surviving car, the city, is 50-60% more expensive and the Octavia? 300%?!!!

Just because the big three have moved up, are we justifying the Octavia also moving up two segments?

Or maybe...I am stuck in a time warp.
Its called inflation, the purchasing power of our currency is going down every year. You can blame the nitwits in our government and their bird brained policies for that. If you realize and accept this fact the new octavia is actually pretty good value for money and is a steal since its 85 % Merc c class/ Audi A4 for a bit over half the price.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 20:09   #205
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
...the new octavia is actually pretty good value for money and is a steal since its 85 % Merc c class/ Audi A4 for a bit over half the price.
Pardon me, but I always thought the Superb was designed for that category/ feeling. It was at 60-70% of the A4's price for nearly the same car.
Wonder where will the Superb be positioned now?
Old 12th June 2021, 20:11   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Pardon me, but I always thought the Superb was designed for that category/ feeling. It was at 60-70% of the A4's price for nearly the same car.
Wonder where will the Superb be positioned now?
Superb is the thinking man’s eclass/ A6.
nakul0888 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 21:09   #207
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia L&K Walkaround Video

While the car is well packaged, just like everyone said, it's overpriced by around 3 lakhs. 21-24 lakhs would have been sweet price for this Octavia considering that the space is now vacant after Karoq was discontinued. For 3 lakhs more, the Superb is immense Value for Money. It's definitely More Car Per Car than this Octavia.

I was looking forward to this car as an upgrade, and voila Skoda themselves said, hey you don't buy this. While the 1.5 will be cheaper, I don't think it'll do justice to this car especially when the same engine combo will be available in shortly to be launched Kushaq.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 22:35   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Superb is the thinking man’s eclass/ A6.
Agree. Looks like the new Skoda CKD positioning is to offer good value alternatives to the German trio. The Octavia to the C class/3 series segment, the Superb to the E class/ 5 series segment and the Kodiaq to the GLC/X3 segment. The Karoq, if reintroduced, is a good alternative to the petrol GLA and X1.
thechinmay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 22:37   #209
BHPian

Hi folks. So I went down to Mody Skoda showroom in Bombay today to test drive the new Octavia.

Took a few spins around Worli seaface, and first impressions are that while the turbo kick / push isn't as pronounced as it was in the previous gen, it still is a REALLY quick car and a lot of fun.

Also, the car is roomy and spacious, with a large footprint.
However while driving, it feels nimble and agile. It doesn't feel like you're driving a car as big as it actually is. Honestly, I wouldn't want to own a car larger than this one, not atleast in Bombay. Didn't get to corner it much, but took a few sweeping benders along the seaface at around 100 kmph, and it did put a smile on my face - felt really firm and planted.

Big ups on the spacious boot and plush interiors. Everything felt solid and well put together. Wife and parents loved the backseat comfort.

On pricing, I echo the sentiments expressed here that it is slightly overpriced, but hey, it is indeed a lot of car that we are getting, and even the new i20 was priced at a premium over its previous gen, as was the new Honda City. Would sincerely request everyone to take the car out for a spin and experience it in person before forming opinions / judgements on the car.
ostreichwein is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 06:00   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Unfortunately, we all tend to get carried away by the money illusion - and think that a Rupee today is the same as a Rupee 5.5 years ago.

That is because we are anchoring to prices from 5 years ago and failing to realise that the auto industry is actually doing a great job keeping prices down for vastly superior products.

But these were discounted prices for clearing inventory after a Covid year in which inventory planning went completely awry. We can’t compare launch prices for a new car with that.

If you are price sensitive, that is a sensible approach to take. Wait for one of the periodic crises that hit the car industry, and buy products that are about to be replaced and whose inventory manufacturers want to move.
@Hayek, superbly & lucidly captured, thank you . Just as that Rs.10 note (from my childhood) has lost all 'value', so will the Rs.100 one and soon the Rs.500 one. You can rant and rave from the rooftops, but economics (& the time value of money in an consistently inflationary world) is cold hard reality.

Personally, my take is to accept the inevitable price raises by ALL manufacturers, and move on.

For the salaried class aspiring to own this elusive Octavia (which promises so much), I'm constantly reminded of vigneshkumar31's hilarious post on the Salary Mule:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5033846 (Car loan vs outright purchase)

Accept you're a Salary Mule, bite the bullet, take that loan and buy your dream car. Life (especially nowadays) is too short.

Last edited by itwasntme : 13th June 2021 at 06:05.
itwasntme is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed