Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 10:42   #346
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellusiv View Post
Recently test drove a Skoda Octavia and loved it. Huge leaps ahead of the 2015 Creta we have currently and the engine and gearbox is a charm. Unfortunately, the dealer is quoting an OTR price of 33 lakhs and is not open to any negotiations.

Now wondering if we should save money and go for a Hyundai Tuscon 2020 to fulfil my fathers love for sleek SUVs. Dealer was quoting a price of 31 Lakhs for the 4WD version and mentioned that they are open to further negotiation once they are able to arrange a test-drive for us.

Although my brain tells me the Tuscon makes sense, I keep lusting over the Octavia.
We own the previous gen Octavia (2017 pre facelift) 1.8 TSI Petrol and a 3 month old Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Diesel GLS (2WD). We were all set to get the easy upgrade to the next gen Octavia until the prices of the car were revealed. Call the interiors upmarket and the cabin plush but the car simply doesn't justify the premium price tag. It just didn't feel special enough to be a 30 lakh+ car. There's Superb for that.
This is where the decision was made to step into SUV territory. We were always happy sedan owner before this. Tucson is perhaps the only car that exists in this segment and offers a decent price to premium feel ratio. The Jeep feels a size smaller and the Citroen again is overpriced. Although the car looks slightly dated and the interiors feel underwhelming, it still felt like a decent deal with all the discounts being offered. Moreover, it's a CKD so the build quality is up to international standards.
We have driven about 3000 kilometers in the Tucson and are happy with what it offers. The engine and gearbox are perfectly tuned for mixed use and the car provides you with sort of a sporty feel. All that being said, it can never feel as good as the Octavia to drive. I still take out the Octavia for an occasional spin whenever I feel deprived of the fun factor. The Tucson is for everything else other than that. It makes all the airport runs, the office runs; all of this while delivering a very impressive 12.5-13 kmpl (mostly in city).
In conclusion, I would just say that my mind and heart are best friends now.
Hyundai for peace of mind and Skoda for my heart.
You may watch the videos at the below links. They may help you come to a decision.

umairalvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 09:33   #347
BHPian

The price of the Ocatvia has been increased by Rs. 30,000 effective yesterday (for both the variants)
mmridul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 17:39   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmridul View Post
The price of the Ocatvia has been increased by Rs. 30,000 effective yesterday (for both the variants)
Is Skoda going crazy or what! The prices were already very high and here I was thinking that sooner or later Skoda will have to give discounts to sell the car. And they actually increase the price! I can't understand what's happening!
Old 20th September 2021, 12:29   #349
BHPian

To people who have been inside the 2021 Octavia and the outgoing one,

How's the interior quality, fit and finish of the outgoing one compared to the MY2021 Octy? I checked the the 2021 Octavia out yesterday and I absolutely LOVED the interior. The soft touch plastics, solid build, even the roof liner seemed excellent. Is the outgoing one as good in these areas as the current car? I'm seriously considering picking up a used BS4 1.8 TSI Octavia L&K, just wanted to get an idea before I start looking at examples in person.

Thanks!
Old 20th September 2021, 14:03   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
To people who have been inside the 2021 Octavia and the outgoing one
The 2021 Octavia is a clear step up in quality of materials used and it's execution. Having said that, the older generation is not bad at all.

Sit in them back-to-back if you can by visiting your local used car dealer.

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th September 2021 at 14:05.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 15:02   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
To people who have been inside the 2021 Octavia and the outgoing one,

How's the interior quality, fit and finish of the outgoing one compared to the MY2021 Octy? I checked the the 2021 Octavia out yesterday and I absolutely LOVED the interior. The soft touch plastics, solid build, even the roof liner seemed excellent. Is the outgoing one as good in these areas as the current car? I'm seriously considering picking up a used BS4 1.8 TSI Octavia L&K, just wanted to get an idea before I start looking at examples in person.

Thanks!
I definitely felt the new one to be better, infact I felt the new one interior to be very premium and almost there with 3, C and A4 - no sunroof though. Especially I liked the suede leather treatment. Though I would have preferred an all black interior, trust me maintaining beige interior is not all that difficult if you take good care.

The previous gen interior is great too, though not as good as new one but still better than many current cars in that price range. The quality of materials, soft touch and overall feel is good. My 6 year old Octavia has aged well - only concern being the AC vents and steering controls which are fragile and cost a lot for replacement. Another thing I find out of place in the previous gen is the infotainment screen which feels old and small by current standards. I have updated this to a 10 inch android unit with wireless apple car play and totally happy with overall interiors.
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:14   #352
BHPian

Folks, requesting your inputs on any discounts received or offered for Octavia. Anyone who has bought a style variant? Your experience would help.
Old 26th September 2021, 09:21   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
Is Skoda going crazy or what! The prices were already very high and here I was thinking that sooner or later Skoda will have to give discounts to sell the car. And they actually increase the price! I can't understand what's happening!
Maybe they’re taking a scarcity premium approach. Convince customers that there is actually demand by increasing the prices to try and push customers on the fence into hastening their purchase decision. Given its abysmal sales rate thus far I’m guessing this is a last ditch effort before they have to buckle and start giving the discounts.
RoadTrippin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 13:56   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
Maybe they’re taking a scarcity premium approach.
I would say scarcity is of Sales. NCR especially Gurgaon and Mumbai seem to be hotspots for maximum Octavia Sales. It's been many months and I have not spotted a single new Octavia in Gurgaon.
Old 29th September 2021, 06:27   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Folks, requesting your inputs on any discounts received or offered for Octavia. Anyone who has bought a style variant? Your experience would help.
Absolutely no discounts here in Cochin. The SA told me that the prices are bound to go up by 30-60k from October
Took the TD of the Octavia L&K

I took the TD of the Octavia after the TD of the 330i and 330Li which was a big mistake
Have to take a TD again
It is a nimble car to drive. Absolutely no turbo lag. It did not launch with a wheelspin, but was brisk off the line with no perceivable gear shift.

Compared to DCT in the Kia, gearshifts of the 380 were seamless. DQ200 had more percievable shifts. It never had the push / kick that the 1.8TSI had. But the ride was plush, steering was light and maneuvering the car around tight bends in small roads was a breeze. It would never corner like a RWD, but who takes corners in this daily grind. I think Octavia would be more suited for the daily grind than a 330i.

Missed the sunroof. On a rainy day you d feel dull.
The touchscreen was a disaster. It looked odd and response was not great
The wide bezels on the touchscreen was odd, felt like a cheap Chineese tablet.
The gear selector was a change. You would require strong muscle memory to operate that. There were a lot of instances where I was searching for this. The digital cluster felt a step down from the previous generation Octavia.
Missed the 'moon roof', extendable thigh support and ventilated seats, which would have made it a killer deal.

Here it is 37L on the road Kochi. It does feel over priced. Under 30 for the style and 34L for the L&K would have been made the deal sweeter.
Hunting for a Generation III Octavia 1.8TSI for a lateral upgrade.
sandygordon is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 07:41   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post

Here it is 37L on the road Kochi. It does feel over priced. Under 30 for the style and 34L for the L&K would have been made the deal sweeter.
Hunting for a Generation III Octavia 1.8TSI for a lateral upgrade.
An Octavia at 37 lakhs is eye popping! If you have come this far, might as well check out the A4 too- few of our members got it for 39 odd lakhs- basically a more luxurious version of the Octavia if your idea is to have a relaxed drive.

330i will always be the driver's choice.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:14   #357
BHPian

Saw this tweet recently on twitter. Issue headlight throw & illumination being insufficient at night. Has anyone faced similar issue?

This is a age old issue with German siblings. Vento highline plus though the throw and illumination is manageable in city but lot to be desired on highway drives.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-ce9a30d6943e4e2baecd1c2aa4a83621.jpeg  

Old 2nd October 2021, 13:14   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Saw this tweet recently on twitter. Issue headlight throw & illumination being insufficient at night. Has anyone faced similar issue?

This is a age old issue with German siblings. Vento highline plus though the throw and illumination is manageable in city but lot to be desired on highway drives.
Honestly all modern car headlights are insufficient for night driving in Indian conditions (not talking about high end laser ones). The good old halogens are better.
Even I had upgraded to a good set of HIDs and it works perfectly fine and lit the road well in normal conditions. But the moment you hit dim lit roads and when it rains god only knows where that bright headlights vanishes

So this feedback can be subjective based on the acceptance level of the user

Last edited by sunikkat : 2nd October 2021 at 13:15.
Old 2nd October 2021, 14:58   #359
BHPian

Couldn’t find details on the performance of headlights in the review.

@GTO as you had the car for sometime how is the performance of headlights? How does it stack up against superb headlights?

Is there a huge difference in headlights performance expected between octavia L&K and Style setup?

These inputs can tilt decision on which variant would one choose. Night driving is one of the crucial aspect to consider and headlight performance is essential here.
Old 2nd October 2021, 15:14   #360
BHPian

I think maybe the issue may be with the style variant as they have LED reflector headlight. I saw some videos on YouTube of the adaptive LED projectors of L&K variant and they seem pretty good.

Most Viewed