Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2021, 06:40   #211
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

I'm yet to test drive the new car but the pricing is totally on point, in my opinion. For a new product launch you have to hedge the price taking into account inflation for atleast the next 3-5 years, especially for currencies like ours. A price increase mid-life is going to spook customers. Compared to when the previous gen octy was launched, our currency has inflated by well over 50-60% present day. Just for example, a standard driver's pay was around 10-12k in 2012 and you'll have to pay 20k today.

While I respect everyone's opinion about what the Octy is to them, I HAVE to say this after reading earlier comments (too many of them). Please don't say the Octavia is 80% of an A4/C Class/3 series or 60% of an A6 or 30% of an S class or whatnot. It's like saying Octy's trying to be a poor man's luxury car - it's not, and it's not trying to be! It's a unique, well-engineered European sedan from VAG that is packed with user-friendly features and is value for money for what it offers, and I think we should leave it at that.

I'm sorry but this is not meant to offend anyone. It's just that these are unquantifiable comparisons. Like saying a Seiko Prospex is 90% an Omega. You're belittling both in the process.
hortons15 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 09:38   #212
BHPian

I am one of those disappointed with the pricing and think this will at least force me to consider the Elantra in my consideration bucket to replace my Jetta.

On further thought, what we are essentially seeing is the Octavia completely leave the D segment sedan. If Hyundai bring in the Elantra N line, it would sit firmly in competition with the current Octavia, pumping out 204bhp and 264nm of torque and comparable to the Octavia's 190bhp and 320nm. Dimensions and feature list are also similar with unsurprisignly the Koreans trumping with superior features while, presumably, the Skoda has the better ride, handling and driving experience.

The challenge for someone like me, who drives fairly sedately and mostly on the highway, is whether i go for the superior power and engine of the Octavia or get the cheaper and more sedate ride of the Elantra. This Octavia pricing with its 200 units per month, might not be enough to tempt the koreans to launch the N Line but if they do, it might put the cat among the pigeons for Skoda.
Old 13th June 2021, 11:35   #213
BHPian

Pricing is just disappointing escpecially when things like Ventilated seats are missing with that abnormal humb at the back. It they really wanted to increase the price by 10L, could've invested a little more to attract the customers.

My opinion, they are only trying to target a few upper Middle class as most will limit themselves to 10L - 20L bracket and higher class would go for Mercedes and BMWs.

Having said that, Indian customers are way too unpredictable. After what we've seen with Innonovas and it's price rise across the years and yet it was accepted.

Last edited by devilicious : 13th June 2021 at 11:39. Reason: Addition of text
Old 13th June 2021, 12:15   #214
BHPian

The pricing discussion has taken over an otherwise great review, and that should tell us something about Skoda's strategy. In general, if a car is priced appropriately for its segment, it is usually echoed by a larger population, in this, it is not there. In fact, most of the comments are around how ambitious this Octavia pricing is.

New generation, new features, new tech is part of evolution for any product, in the Technology world, the consumer is not charged for that, in fact, economies of scale make the tech cheaper. For the same money which one paid in 2016, one could get far superior laptops for the same money.

Skoda has erred here, and they should course correct it. My guess is, with second-wave hitting us hard, Automakers has done non-aggressive inventory planning for India and most of them have decided to focus on profits than revenue. This could change in next year is the hope.
Gsynch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 14:21   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsynch View Post
New generation, new features, new tech is part of evolution for any product, in the Technology world, the consumer is not charged for that, in fact, economies of scale make the tech cheaper. For the same money which one paid in 2016, one could get far superior laptops for the same money.
That's an unfair comparison. Laptops have been turned into commodities and hence the incremental development as well as pricing graph is a lot different. The firm opinion on this blog is that Octavia belongs to luxury segment and hence it demands a premium.

All said though, I don't understand the strategy of Skoda and how long this car will sell if it continues to appeal only to a very niche segment.
Old 13th June 2021, 16:21   #216
Senior - BHPian

A lot of views about the pricing of the Octavia is about how close the pricing is to the Superb. But is there a chance that this may be part of the strategy?

Increased footfalls into Skoda showrooms to see the Octavia translating into considerable up-sells to the Superb as people understand how much more they get for 3-5 lakhs extra. Especially things like ventilated seats and the panoramic sun-roof.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 17:44   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
That's an unfair comparison. Laptops have been turned into commodities and hence the incremental development as well as pricing graph is a lot different. The firm opinion on this blog is that Octavia belongs to luxury segment and hence it demands a premium.
Cars like Octavia are also pretty much commodities unless we talk about supercars which are built for specific purposes. Even in Skoda's own scheme of things Octavia wouldn't be called a Luxury car.

Like in the Technology world, most of the automobiles like this one, are incremental updates over previous generations. From consumer POV, it is only fair to expect that companies don't charge a premium over incremental changes.

I agree with you on Skoda's (misplaced?) attempt to reposition Octavia now as a luxury offering, but making it stand next to its "Superb" marquee may not be the best idea in my humble opinion.
Gsynch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 22:07   #218
Senior - BHPian

The Evo review confirms all that I had indicated (without driving the car):

1. The new Octavia is slower than the earlier Octavia.

2. Does not have the spike in power like the earlier car.

3. Emphasis on comfort rather than handling.

4. Not a drivers car.

5. Softer suspension compromises handling.

6. Better driven in a relaxed manner rather than hard like the earlier car.

7. Lost a lot of the characteristics that enthusiasts look for in an Octavia.

I wouldn’t have had an issue with the price if they had retained the sporty nature of the car. With the morphing into a barge, it’s become a car I wouldn’t consider at all.

I am reminded of BMW’s mistake with the F30, subsequently corrected with the G20 (and how!) Hopefully Skoda will take a page from that lesson in the next generation Octavia.

This one is a washout.

Last edited by AMG Power : 13th June 2021 at 22:24.
AMG Power is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 22:52   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Rustled up a comparison sheet taken from TBHP and Autocar India.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-comparo.jpg

Notes:
1. Dimensions and kerb weights are a bit iffy so E&OE please.
2. Caveat: I own 2 of the cars here
3. No flaming please, purely an amateur effort!
itwasntme is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 23:04   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
The Evo review confirms all that I had indicated (without driving the car):

1. The new Octavia is slower than the earlier Octavia.
Not exactly, the review says 0 to 100 in 7.4 seconds which is faster than the previous model. It’s the feel and turbo kick which is missing in the new one.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 10:33   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Not exactly, the review says 0 to 100 in 7.4 seconds which is faster than the previous model. It’s the feel and turbo kick which is missing in the new one.
I'd take that 7.4 seconds with a pinch of salt; I didn't notice a VBOX in their video review and don't think they tested it personally.

ACI says 8.00 seconds and Overdrive 7.81.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 11:31   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I'd take that 7.4 seconds with a pinch of salt; I didn't notice a VBOX in their video review and don't think they tested it personally.

It isn’t Evo’s Test figures - what is being referred to is a “claimed” figure and as we know, “claimed” figures are by the manufacturer and have no relevance to Indian conditions which are always slower due to fuel quality, drag coefficient (the international model sits lower and hence lower cd) and other conditions such as tail winds not considered etc.

This is the Evo review:

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-9aa0aa32a5584c5f80efdaa2462ee9bc.jpeg

Quote:
I own 2 of the cars here
Stop rubbing it in you lucky bloke. Btw, you owe me for the 330i.

Last edited by AMG Power : 14th June 2021 at 11:45.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 11:47   #223
BHPian

Quote:

Actually there are various pages on that quote 7.4 as the "claimed" figure for the 2.0 Tsi Octavia. Maybe they picked it up from there.

https://www.car.info/en-se/skoda/oct...17856897/specs

Last edited by karan85 : 14th June 2021 at 11:48. Reason: typo
Old 14th June 2021, 11:57   #224
BHPian

All said and done, at the current prices, I'd pick the BMW 330i over the Octavia or the other cars any day. I may be wrong but I also hear that amongst the 3 Germans, BMW service is the best.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:06   #225
BHPian

Wouldn't its numbers be comparable to the A4 with its 7.19s tested?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks