Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2021, 13:02   #331
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandavinash View Post
Given that more than a few members have owned the new Octavia for some weeks or months now, is there any ownership feedback about the switch by wire technology and how well the car has been performing?
And i will also appreciate any feedback from owners on this suede like seats? Are they dust and dampness magnets as i worry they will be?
Old 14th September 2021, 13:30   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
And i will also appreciate any feedback from owners on this suede like seats? Are they dust and dampness magnets as i worry they will be?
I don’t own the vehicle but have driven the test drive cars which were soiled in the first week. Little darker beige shade in my current car needs maintenance. Octavia is lot lighter shade.

Current generation Octavia interior will be harder to maintain be it the dashboard or seats. Alcantara on the seats adds to additional difficulty. You will need to take care personally and also get professional help periodically.

Depending on your OCD about cleanliness the effort would vary.

With light Colors interior comes great responsibilities. They look great though if done right
Old 14th September 2021, 20:15   #333
BHPian

My father recently bought the style variant. While everything else is working OK, the infotainment system often hangs he says. And it would not reset until for a while. I have not checked the issue but as per him the screen goes blank and nothing is responded to. It gets all working after you end the drive and start the car after a few minutes.
I will try my debugging skills to see what could the problem. But asking here if any of the owners of the 2021 Octavia are facing this kind of problem?
penpavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 23:06   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
My father recently bought the style variant. While everything else is working OK, the infotainment system often hangs he says. And it would not reset until for a while. I have not checked the issue but as per him the screen goes blank and nothing is responded to. It gets all working after you end the drive and start the car after a few minutes.
I will try my debugging skills to see what could the problem. But asking here if any of the owners of the 2021 Octavia are facing this kind of problem?
Ask him to press and hold the switch off button of the infotainment, for 10 seconds. The system will restart it should be all ok.
mathuranuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 21:43   #335
BHPian

I'm contemplating the Style variant. The dealer is offering Rs. 1 Lakh off (chosen between cash discount and getting my own insurance).

Does this sound reasonable, or do you guys think I can push for more?

If it helps, I will be going the finance route for the car, but I'm open to either his financer or my bank.

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2021 at 07:12. Reason: Capitalisation, punctuation
mmridul is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th September 2021, 01:23   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmridul View Post
The dealer is offering 1 Lakh off (chosen between cash discount and getting my own insurance).

Does this sound reasonable, or do you guys think i can push for more?
Lucky Mumbai folks. Insurance is always marked up at dealership, so there is always big margin there. Actual discount is less in either of the options put forth in the deal.

I would advice to restructure the deal.

1) 1 lakh cash discount + you get own insurance from outside.

2) 1 lakh cash discount + insurance taken from showroom which they should match with the quote you get outside.

My preference will be option-2.

All the best. Hoping you get hold of one.
Old 16th September 2021, 09:24   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Lucky Mumbai folks. Insurance is always marked up at dealership, so there is always big margin there. Actual discount is less in either of the options put forth in the deal.

I would advice to restructure the deal.

1) 1 lakh cash discount + you get own insurance from outside.

2) 1 lakh cash discount + insurance taken from showroom which they should match with the quote you get outside.

My preference will be option-2.

All the best. Hoping you get hold of one.
I guess luck is subjective, and I am sure you can also get a similar discount, if not better in your city.

The dealer’s markup on insurance is close to 50,000 and will let me get my own insurance (which saves me 50,000) and will offer an additional 50,000 as a cash discount, hence totalling 1,00,000.

I have already tried restructuring the deal as per suggestions but failed miserably. I will however, try to get them to give me the accessory package gratis.
Old 16th September 2021, 10:11   #338
BHPian

A question to owners of the current Octavia in Mumbai. Are you facing any issues with ground clearance?
Old 16th September 2021, 11:02   #339

Recently test drove a Skoda Octavia and loved it. Huge leaps ahead of the 2015 Creta we have currently and the engine and gearbox is a charm. Unfortunately, the dealer is quoting an OTR price of 33 lakhs and is not open to any negotiations.

Now wondering if we should save money and go for a Hyundai Tuscon 2020 to fulfil my fathers love for sleek SUVs. Dealer was quoting a price of 31 Lakhs for the 4WD version and mentioned that they are open to further negotiation once they are able to arrange a test-drive for us.

Although my brain tells me the Tuscon makes sense, I keep lusting over the Octavia.
ellusiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 11:48   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmridul View Post
I guess luck is subjective, and I am sure you can also get a similar discount, if not better in your city.

The dealer’s markup on insurance is close to 50,000 and will let me get my own insurance (which saves me 50,000) and will offer an additional 50,000 as a cash discount, hence totalling 1,00,000.

I have already tried restructuring the deal as per suggestions but failed miserably. I will however, try to get them to give me the accessory package gratis.
Apart from insurance margin the other component of 50,000 cash discount does it include any corporate benefits?

If you own VW group vehicle then loyalty benefits can be also added.

In Hyderabad the offer stands insurance discount(this is not actual discount) + corporate benefits. Sales advisor messages every month (No offers this month for Octavia ). Other states have heard of better offers.

If you don’t mind waiting till Diwali or Year end you might be able to get additional discount. Example Skoda might add warranty as part of standard discount.

Which variant are you planning for?

Try to haggle across multiple dealerships.

With around 150 odd number a month across India it is not flying off shelves. Skoda has maximise profits and strange that they don’t want to sell enough numbers. Still they are hoping to gain significant market share. It would be interesting to see impact it Octavia over superb sales. What is the % of increase for superb sales.

Management at Skoda might say this is in line with expectations, but the fact is it that it is not true. Around release on price criticisms the brand director said 250 odd number is target.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 11:56   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from insurance margin the other component of 50,000 cash discount does it include any corporate benefits?

If you own VW group vehicle then loyalty benefits can be also added.

In Hyderabad the offer stands insurance discount(this is not actual discount) + corporate benefits. Sales advisor messages every month (No offers this month for Octavia ). Other states have heard of better offers.

If you don’t mind waiting till Diwali or Year end you might be able to get additional discount. Example Skoda might add warranty as part of standard discount.

Which variant are you planning for?

Try to haggle across multiple dealerships.

With around 150 odd number a month across India it is not flying off shelves. Skoda has maximise profits and strange that they don’t want to sell enough numbers. Still they are hoping to gain significant market share. It would be interesting to see impact it Octavia over superb sales. What is the % of increase for superb sales.

Management at Skoda might say this is in line with expectations, but the fact is it that it is not true. Around release on price criticisms the brand director said 250 odd number is target.
The 50,000 cash discount does not include any corporate discount / etc, since I don’t seem to be eligible for it. Plus no exchange bonus for me, as I sold off my Polo late last year. I doubt ill be willing to wait till year end (the petrol head in me has been without a vehicle since December 2020)

Interesting that other states have better offers, I’ll try to use this to my advantage if possible.
mmridul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 12:02   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellusiv View Post
Recently test drove a Skoda Octavia and loved it. Huge leaps ahead of the 2015 Creta we have currently and the engine and gearbox is a charm. Unfortunately, the dealer is quoting an OTR price of 33 lakhs and is not open to any negotiations.

Now wondering if we should save money and go for a Hyundai Tuscon 2020 to fulfil my fathers love for sleek SUVs. Dealer was quoting a price of 31 Lakhs for the 4WD version and mentioned that they are open to further negotiation once they are able to arrange a test-drive for us.

Although my brain tells me the Tuscon makes sense, I keep lusting over the Octavia.
While Tucson can be more sensible choice as you are saving money it will never be as fun to drive as Octavia. Agree new Octavia is slightly soft sprung and not as fun as previous gen, but still the best bet in that price range. Though Tucson has a big panaromic sun roof the interiors of Octavia is much better and feels upmarket. Performance wise too Octavia beats Tucson hands down.

However if you need a SUV and more ground clearance and a sun roof then it is Tucson.

Trust me Octavia is definitely a keeper and very difficult to upgrade. The interiors of previous gen still feels fresh and the car has aged well. Real fun is once the warranty is over, the mod potential is just splendid. For me atleast the car was super reliable.

But end of it take a back to back test drive and decide. Honestly you can’t go wrong with both the cars, based on your requirements.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 12:03   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellusiv View Post

Different segment and different life cycle of each product. Tucson is old almost ready for replacement and Octavia is just barely a year old platform.

Tucson in current form is a good vehicle given you can digest those bland interiors. If you plan to take a trip to very high altitude areas then be aware of DPF issues and the performance concerns. Recently a bhpian travelled to ladakh in Tucson and penned his experience.

Tucson is due for a update. New model once introduced in the market will also result in price increase.

Octavia vs any car will be always heart vs mind. Go for the one which meets your requirements.

Car plying on road is lot better than one that would be resting in your garage.

Wishing you all the best and happy motoring.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 12:37   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Though Tucson has a big panaromic sun roof the interiors of Octavia is much better and feels upmarket. Performance wise too Octavia beats Tucson hands down.

However if you need a SUV and more ground clearance and a sun roof then it is Tucson.

Trust me Octavia is definitely a keeper and very difficult to upgrade. The interiors of previous gen still feels fresh and the car has aged well. Real fun is once the warranty is over, the mod potential is just splendid. For me atleast the car was super reliable.

But end of it take a back to back test drive and decide. Honestly you can’t go wrong with both the cars, based on your requirements.
Sunroof isn't a necessity at all. Spent a few years abroad where both cars we bought had a sunroof and never ended up using it. The main attraction with the Tucson is that it is a Hyundai and my father has always enjoyed the commanding view SUVs give you.
We were definitely blown away by the looks and interior of the Octavia, it truly is a magnificent car to sit in and look at.

Quote:
Different segment and different life cycle of each product. Tucson is old almost ready for replacement and Octavia is just barely a year old platform.

Tucson in current form is a good vehicle given you can digest those bland interiors. If you plan to take a trip to very high altitude areas then be aware of DPF issues and the performance concerns. Recently a bhpian travelled to ladakh in Tucson and penned his experience.

Tucson is due for a update. New model once introduced in the market will also result in price increase.
Saw the newer Tucson and the 2020 one looks a lot better in my opinion but I guess it is a subjective choice.
Due to the bigger showroom in the city not having a floor model and attempting to persuade us to test the Alcazar instead, we contacted the other dealership who said they would have a test car in a week. Due to this, I have not gotten a chance to experience the interiors yet.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:12   #345
BHPian

It appears that none of our forum members own this car currently as there are no initial ownership reviews.

Most Viewed