Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2021, 12:06   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
It isn’t Evo’s Test figures - what is being referred to is a “claimed” figure and as we know, “claimed” figures are by the manufacturer and have no relevance to Indian conditions which are always slower due to fuel quality, drag coefficient (the international model sits lower and hence lower cd) and other conditions such as tail winds not considered etc.
If you hear the review at 9:10 it says 0 to 100 in 7.4 secs, also from the review the wording is "0 to 100 takes a claimed 7.4 seconds", so i would read that as they have tested and it takes the claimed time.
Agree it depends on various parameters and we cannot fully believe in those numbers, but i dont think new Octavia will be slower than the old 1.8 TSI. However I agree on other points about handling, turbo kick etc compared to earlier model.
Old 14th June 2021, 12:22   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
All said and done, at the current prices, I'd pick the BMW 330i over the Octavia or the other cars any day.
The Octavia here in Gurgaon is 33.7 on road - 330i Sport here is 49.7 (both without discounts). Thats like 50% higher and a big delta in my opinion. For example personally I have a budget of 35 (max) when I plan to upgrade my car next year and I really cant go above it so while the Octavia works for me budget wise the 3 series(something I absolutely adore) just doesn't. I can actually wait for 2 more years before I upgrade but then I feel the 3 series would be even more expensive by then and it would make it even more difficult for me to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Wouldn't its numbers be comparable to the A4 with its 7.19s tested?
Exactly! The heavier A4 with essentially the same engine +gearbox is much "faster". Is the engine tune so different in the both the cars. On paper they have the same power and torque figures.
karan85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:35   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Wouldn't its numbers be comparable to the A4 with its 7.19s tested?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
Exactly! The heavier A4 with essentially the same engine +gearbox is much "faster". Is the engine tune so different in the both the cars. On paper they have the same power and torque figures.
I'd blame the skinny 205 Goodyear tyres on the Octavia compared to the A4's 225/50/17. Further, the A4 may have launch control too.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:35   #229
Senior - BHPian

Are we splitting hairs on 0-100 figures?

For someone with a budget of around 30L with an open mind to cross shop (brands, body styles, drivetrain or pretty much anything), I doubt there is any other option which is in the ball park of 7.xx seconds to 100
GeeTee TSI is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:41   #230
BHPian

karan85, I do see your point. But my opinion and purely mine is that the badge alone would be worth close to 8-10l more. Apart from that, you will be getting a car which is 40% more powerful, with a much better power to weight ratio, torque to weight ratio and much better to drive.

From a longer term perspective, it may not make such a difference if you are able to get the financial package right.

If I were you, I would probably wait till I am in a position to cough up the extra dough and then enjoy myself.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:42   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Further, the A4 may have launch control too.

21 Octavia has launch control too. If the older octavia didn't have it then with the same power to weight ratio I would expect the new one to have a faster 0-100 time.

Last edited by NT56 : 14th June 2021 at 12:51.
Old 14th June 2021, 13:17   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Are we splitting hairs on 0-100 figures?

For someone with a budget of around 30L with an open mind to cross shop (brands, body styles, drivetrain or pretty much anything), I doubt there is any other option which is in the ball park of 7.xx seconds to 100
Hi GeeTee,
I don't think buyers in this price range and this segment will choose Octy just for the 0-100 number. Make another 10L (expected to price around 40 ex) and wait for the RS245.
Old 14th June 2021, 13:52   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I'd blame the skinny 205 Goodyear tyres on the Octavia compared to the A4's 225/50/17. Further, the A4 may have launch control too.
There are other differences too between the two cars.

The A4 is built on the MLB Evo platform which makes the car more planted and provides better traction making it faster off the block than the Skoda. Additionally the engine is mounted longitudinally which supposedly reduces transmission losses.

Both these factors give the new A4 lower 0-100 times and also gives it far better high speed stability, makes it better in corners and gives it a better ride.
AMG Power is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 14:02   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
There are other differences too between the two cars.

The A4 is built on the MLB Evo platform which makes the car more planted and provides better traction making it faster off the block than the Skoda. Additionally the engine is mounted longitudinally which supposedly reduces transmission losses.

Both these factors give the new A4 lower 0-100 times and also gives it far better high speed stability, makes it better in corners and gives it a better ride.
I'm guessing which is why they can't use the same DQ gearboxes as well since the A4 is a weird longitudinal engine mount with a front wheel drive.

Isn't that counter intuitive actually to have longitudinal mount but exclusive front wheel drive.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 14:35   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I'm guessing which is why they can't use the same DQ gearboxes as well since the A4 is a weird longitudinal engine mount with a front wheel drive.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Isn't that counter intuitive actually to have longitudinal mount but exclusive front wheel drive.
It does sound counter intuitive and should normally lead to more transmission losses. But the layout of A4 transmission is Engine -> Flywheel -> Drive shaft to the wheels -> Gear box.

This position of the driveshaft allows direct connection to the driven wheels - if the drive shaft was behind the gearbox, as is normally the case, it would have led to a convoluted final drive layout.

Drive shaft circled in blue located at the front of the gearbox:
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-ca9553c8bfaf4646bebd035c0f62374a.jpeg  

AMG Power is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 17:56   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Phew! Not having bought a car for so long, really sandbagged by the prices. In the late 90s, early 2000s, the Octavia was aspirational for me, at approx. 10 lakh, along with the 1st-gen Honda City and the Opel Astra. After a few years came the Laura at 14-16 lakh and the Superb at approx. 18L. Makes me wonder, "what the hell!".
The only surviving car, the city, is 50-60% more expensive and the Octavia? 300%?!!!

Just because the big three have moved up, are we justifying the Octavia also moving up two segments?

Or maybe...I am stuck in a time warp.
Slightly OT, but, the first generation City was actually based on the early '90s Civic, while the Octavia was built on the then current - gen Golf platform. All subsequent generations of the City have been based on the Jazz platform while the Octavia still has the same underpinnings as the current Golf.
While definitely overpriced, the sedan lover looking for a D segment car has no alternative. The new Superb will definitely move further up in pricing - maybe as much as the 2 Series/ A Class.
I know this is being too optimistic, but hopefully Honda wakes up and gets in the new Civic with 1.5 and 2L turbo engines.
thechinmay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 20:00   #237
BHPian

Quote:
The Octavia here in Gurgaon is 33.7 on road - 330i Sport here is 49.7 (both without discounts).
Are you sure this Bimmer pricing is OTR? In Delhi it comes to north of 55L.
Old 14th June 2021, 20:03   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Are you sure this Bimmer pricing is OTR? In Delhi it comes to north of 55L.

330i Sport is 49.71 as I can see it. M Sport is 55+

https://www.carwale.com/bmw-cars/3-s...gurgaon/?qti=1
Old 14th June 2021, 20:07   #239
BHPian

Quote:
330i Sport is 49.71 as I can see it. M Sport is 55+

https://www.carwale.com/bmw-cars/3-s...gurgaon/?qti=1
I heard 330i Sport is discontinued. Have they resumed selling it?

In any case, sport loses on features I consider essential in a modern premium car - navigation and Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto.
greenh0rn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 21:25   #240
BHPian

I came across a few videos of the Style variant on YouTube and noticed that it had rather nice looking "Lyra" alloy wheels as opposed to the Rotare alloy wheels mentioned in the brochure for Style variant.

Attached Images

akshay_b is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks