Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2021, 17:45   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Managed to have a look at the Octavia Style variant in a dealer stockyard.

Major changes as expected as the alloys and the headlamps. The L&K gets sharper looking LED Projectors while the Style makes do with normal LED diodes in a reflector type setup.

Couldn't spot any other changes at all TBH. I would much rather opt for the Style than the L&K.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_20210704_174750.jpg

Alloys look very similar to the Audi A4:
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_20210704_174808.jpg

LED headlamps are slightly different. Look vanilla as compared to the ones on the L&K and get halogen turn indicators:
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_20210704_174825.jpg
vishy76 is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 19:30   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
Assuming that the previous generation Style was priced reasonably at 20.6(Ex-showroom), I would be okay to pay around 3.5 lakhs more for current generation Style which will age better in my opinion. But at 26 lakhs, it’s still 2 lakhs more than it should be according to me.
All this while, I was aligned to everyone's thought here and elsewhere that 4th generation Octavia's are overpriced and the price increase is unjustifiable.

From your comment, it appears to me that you are a current/ past owner of Octavia, and your analysis on feature list added somehow actually justifies this pricing to me (at least for Style variant) for the 4th Generation Octavia.

With the growing input cost, better engine capacity + gearbox and the additional feature and technology does justify the 2 lacs difference you highlighted considering the current circumstances faced by the entire automobile industry.

You would find almost every automobile manufacturer increasing its pricing for new launches, upgrades, updates, in some cases shockingly without even offering any upgrade and in an exception case where features are removed while increase in prices

This year, you would have seen most of the manufacturers revising (upwards) their pricing more than once, in some cases thrice within 7 months. Just today, we heard Honda announcing price revision from August.

Almost every product launch starting from Jeep Compass, Toyota Fortuner, Skoda Superb every new launch/update have seen higher pricing or serious revision while not offering similar growth in value.

So, when a company launches a completely fresh product (not facelift), somehow the pricing does makes sense given the fresh technology, investments especially during these trying times.

That being said, this is just different perspective, but I am still equally unhappy about these pricing and hope discounts kick in soon.
Old 5th July 2021, 20:51   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudno19 View Post
That being said, this is just different perspective, but I am still equally unhappy about these pricing and hope discounts kick in soon.
It would be interesting to see the monthly sales charts for skoda in the next few months. I suspect Octavia will meet it's rather humble sales targets. The L&K should get good discounts down the line but I feel that the Style trim will see very little discounting. Time will tell.
Old 7th July 2021, 21:15   #289
BHPian

Had a chance to visit Skoda showroom on my way back & stopped by to take a look at the Octavia. Got to say, pictures don’t do justice to the beautiful exterior design, tastefully done interiors had top notch quality - typical German design & flair. The tail lamps look gorgeous & the boot is huge!! This felt like the perfect upgrade for people looking at replacing rapid/vento, if budgets permit. Only if it was priced sensibly, it has the potential to fly off the shelves. It is a premium product inside out! Here’s a pic of the brown shade, hadn’t seen this colour in any of the reviews. TD vehicle was across the city, have asked for a TD to be arranged tomorrow. Time to test how she drives!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-9adc32bf57584921ad2a7f8c5f454bc3.jpeg  

Last edited by suhas_raj : 7th July 2021 at 21:29.
suhas_raj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 18:42   #290
Senior - BHPian

Drive it to Feel it, Skoda Octavia new TVC
Old 8th July 2021, 22:49   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Drive it to Feel it, Skoda Octavia new TVC
Do I see a split headlamp and a 3 spoke steering wheel?
Kashi053 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 22:56   #292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashi053 View Post
Do I see a split headlamp and a 3 spoke steering wheel?
He’s seen getting down from the last generation Octavia at the start.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 22:09   #293
Team-BHP Support

I test drove it today.

Get in and it looks like a hospital waiting room. Too much white with a big screen. The touchpoints no longer have the heft. The gear selector felt a bit fragile. The steering has very little feel.

I actually cannot remember driving the car. The performance is there but there is no character to it. No whump when you accelerate, rolls when you turn in. It sorely lacked personality.

In relative terms compared to prestige brands, it looks good value. It is not a bad car but not for me. The racing blue Superb Sportline looked more appealing

Its gone soft and floppy. It badly needs those green pills!

Last edited by ajmat : 10th July 2021 at 22:54. Reason: in vs it
ajmat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 22:14   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post

Alloys look very similar to the Audi A4:
Attachment 2175172
Exactly my thought, thanks vishy for sharing the pictures of the style. To me the alloys in style variant looks much classier and it reminds me of the previous generation Octavias which always had simple and classy alloy designs. Style variant indeed will be a good buy when Skoda throws in some discounts. I always fathom having a black Octavia with dechromed front grill, it will look killer-
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-images-5.jpeg
sachin_cs is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 16:31   #295
BHPian

Wow......the prices of Octavia have already made this thread a dead thread!
firstguri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 16:41   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I test drove it today.

Get in and it looks like a hospital waiting room. Too much white with a big screen. The touchpoints no longer have the heft. The gear selector felt a bit fragile. The steering has very little feel.

Its gone soft and floppy. It badly needs those green pills!
I have not driven it yet myself. truth be told, I'm a long time VAG user and their marquee sedans have left me a bit disappointed. They are very well equipped, but god the interiors of the Octavia feel tacky while both the Octavia and Superb have too much cost cutting evident in their cabins. I left with absolutely no desire to consider them seriously. Now, Skoda might have been quite clever and, with no competition to speak of, be secure in their offerings and expect people to continue buying them on the laurels of the previous generations. I hope I won't be one of them.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 02:26   #297
BHPian

Does anyone know anything on octavia sports line india launch dates or information?
I really think an addition of new colours , black interiors and sunroof will seal the deal for many potential buyers who are otherwise more interested in buying superb sports line .
Old 16th July 2021, 08:19   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinS View Post
Does anyone know anything on octavia sports line india launch dates or information?
I really think an addition of new colours , black interiors and sunroof will seal the deal for many potential buyers who are otherwise more interested in buying superb sports line .
There won’t be a sunroof on this generation Octavia. That’s the only certainty as of today w.r.t. your questions.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 22:44   #299
Senior - BHPian

The Octavia comes with an 8 speed Aisin torque converter and the 1.4 tsi in Australia. This version should come to India, reliability and economy at a reasonable price. No one is interested in a manual in this segment anyway.
Old 16th July 2021, 23:01   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The Octavia comes with an 8 speed Aisin torque converter and the 1.4 tsi in Australia. This version should come to India, reliability and economy at a reasonable price. No one is interested in a manual in this segment anyway.
Not really. The 8-speed AISIN is a reliable gearbox but I wont say the same thing about the 1.4 TSI EA211. It's long term reliability remains to be seen.

The reason why I say this is the 1.4 TSI has now switched to a timing belt as opposed to a chain. While this means the overall NVH is better and the infamous timing chain issues are history (according to VW that is), the timing belt will need replacement somewhere down the line. It is a rubber component and rubber as we all know goes brittle and ages (not only due to usage but also due to age solely).

The issue here is Volkswagen says the belt is fit for the life of the engine and I frankly think that's a joke. End of the day, this is a complex direct injection turbo petrol interference engine and I am not trusting a rubber belt to hold up for 10-12 years or 2+L km in any case. By this time, my car will also be out of warranty so in case the belt does snap off, VW is going to sit and watch as I go through the painful process of either repairing an engine that has busted its head or scrap the car for whatever it's worth looking at the cost of repairs.

The Germans are very complex people to understand. They first had a chain system but couldn't make it reliable enough. They then went back to a belt but claim that piece of rubber (no matter how high tech it is) is sealed for the life of the engine. I have to drive a 1.4 TSI Jetta/Octavia out of warranty believing these blokes, who have anyways not set very high standards for reliability. Funny times we live in.

Here's a video of Scotty Kilmer saying the same thing. Don't mind the clickbait title of the video or the long rants

vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks