Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2021, 11:35   #1081
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickNerd View Post
But here it mentions that it is free for all the cars from skoda side, it doesn't mention that it comes as part of insurance (https://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/knowledge-base-sales) :
Yep, manufactures provide RSA services too. Even TVS provides it for it's bikes for a few years.

You are free to take either the manufacturer RSA or insurance RSA or both. Just be sure give a once over to the terms and conditions regarding how far from a city they would provide the RSA service, cost if any from your end, which service center would they take the vehicle to etc.
Old 16th July 2021, 15:07   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian

Acceleration times per latest Autocar issue on the stands (all 0-100 in seconds):
  • 1.0 TSI MT - 11.47 seconds
  • 1.0 TSI AT - 13.16 seconds
  • 1.5 TSI MT - 9.57 seconds
  • 1.5 TSI DSG - 9.54 seconds

As expected the 1.5 TSI AT is the fastest to the ton. It also has the best kick-down acceleration times of 5.66 seconds for the 20-80 run and 6.75 seconds for the 40-100! Pity it does not come with 6 airbags - could have been the best driver's package this side of 20 lakhs!

The 1.0 TSI AT figures are a bit disappointing. My Thar is almost as fast! (13.52 seconds is the Thar Diesel Auto's 0-100 time)

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 16th July 2021 at 15:20.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 15:55   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Acceleration times per latest Autocar issue on the stands (all 0-100 in seconds):
Owner's manual mentions for 1.0 MT 10.46 sec or 10.6 for 0-100 as far as I remember, will cross check once I go to my car again. But I am sure it is written in 10. figure
Old 16th July 2021, 17:57   #1084
BHPian

Took a short TD of Kushaq 1.0 AT today.

Exterior - the exterior fit and finish and looks were to the point, it’s a no nonsense design and will age well as in case of other VAG cars.

Drive Dynamics - this is what you expect from VAG cars, sorted ride and handling, suspension setup is perfect, the cabin noise insulation is good, steering is perfect for city rides-light and good feedback, gearbox felt perfect.

Interiors - this is where i think the designers missed the trick, the black and grey combination is a bit dull for a car that is so exciting from the outside, i really like the black and beige combination which is on my rapid. Though it is not a deal breaker for me, but the two potential buyers were of the view that the interior is dull and miss the bling factor which seltos offers, they were looking for disco lights which is their in seltos/creta, and other gizmos which the rivals offer. The plastics too are not comparable to ones that we see on Rapid/Polo/Vento but they are not deal breakers.

Build quality - Build quality is good but i think it is not at par with Rapid/Polo/Vento league.

Front seats - i liked the front seats very much they have good side bolsters and finding perfect driving position is no brainer- i find it difficult in my rapid.

Rear seats - for two it’s just perfect, as you sit 3-4 inches away from the doors it makes you feel at home. As far as seating 3 adults is concerned they can be accommodated but then the people sitting at the sides have to sit on the side bolsters of the seat which will reduce the overall comfort. But i think it is not that you can’t adjust 3 people for short and in city drives, and as far as long drives are concerned 2 at the back is the magic number be it any car.

Edit - When enquired about omitting 6 airbags on the top end model, the representative was transparent enough to tell that it is a cost cutting measure.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-ee552e8d22b44780a543ec0c082a6661.jpeg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-da47fb8a7d114a44b353d6637a3c4fa2.jpeg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-955748ef19bb41ef977ca454d48e9e6b.jpeg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-feff52e6327c4a25abd5f382fda8fd58.jpeg  

Last edited by any23 : 16th July 2021 at 18:14. Reason: adding more info
any23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 18:21   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As expected the 1.5 TSI AT is the fastest to the ton. It also has the best kick-down acceleration times of 5.66 seconds for the 20-80 run and 6.75 seconds for the 40-100! Pity it does not come with 6 airbags - could have been the best driver's package this side of 20 lakhs!

The 1.0 TSI AT figures are a bit disappointing. My Thar is almost as fast! (13.52 seconds is the Thar Diesel Auto's 0-100 time)
Thanks for sharing the numbers.
The interesting thing to note here is that how superior the DSG is compared to the normal torque converter AT - the torque converter is almost 2 secs slower than the manual whereas the DSG is marginally quicker than the manual counterpart. Whether the reliability issues of the DSG outweigh the performance advantage or vice versa is something an individual has to decide. I have the Vento TSI with the same DSG gearbox and so far, it has been a delight to drive. In fact, the only reason I went for a decade-old Vento was that it was by far the most fun to drive AT in that price segment. It's a shame that Skoda didn't provide enough safety features on their most powerful variant. Having those safety features and slightly better interior quality could have made the Kushaq a very good driver oriented package in that segment (some missing features can be always ignored when compared to build/safety, dynamics and performance).

I was expecting 9 secs or less which is similar to the VW TROC but good performance nevertheless. How does this compare with the Seltos 1.4 GT?
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 18:35   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post

Edit - When enquired about omitting 6 airbags on the top end model, the representative was transparent enough to tell that it is a cost cutting measure.
Good observations all around. As for the admission on the omission of the airbags, I would imagine it's lack of tact than candour!! Zac and the Skoda management wouldn't have been amused

Just wondering. Would it have been too much of an operational hassle for Skoda to have had another sub-variant where the automatics were provided with 6 air bags. Would have saved them this weird decision, at least in the eyes of the minority who would have appreciated the added safety angle. As for the current 2 airbag variant, the majority would anyway not be too concerned with the missing airbags and not affect sales of those either.
RPM1706 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 19:00   #1087
BHPian

On the airbags issue, I was wondering how feasible is it for OEMs to offer safety packages across the variants - an active variant buyer can then opt for 6 airbags by paying the extra cost.

Would this be too much of a logistical challenge on the factory floor?
ACe_10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 19:30   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Everyone complained about the a/c vents - but I felt that plastic behind the door handle even cheaper. It is not textured (like you can see on the dashboard) and has visible rough edges as can be seen here.
Not right, it is textured but not as rich or sharp like dashboard.
Also I love this two spoke steering wheel in my kushaq and there is no wrinkle in mine too.

Sound quality is really good skoda sound system really impressed me.
Old 16th July 2021, 19:57   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACe_10 View Post
On the airbags issue, I was wondering how feasible is it for OEMs to offer safety packages across the variants - an active variant buyer can then opt for 6 airbags by paying the extra cost.

Would this be too much of a logistical challenge on the factory floor?
That's too much of a democratic expectation Sir. It also will take powers from the manufacturer to force customers to higher variants. Typically, if you need 6 or more airbags, the features distribution will force you to pick the top variant, which in turn means more profits for manufacturer.

I do hope that someday we may be able to customize our cars for features like we do while getting a sub from subway prepared.
headbanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 21:28   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
Good observations all around. As for the admission on the omission of the airbags, I would imagine it's lack of tact than candour!! Zac and the Skoda management wouldn't have been amused

Just wondering. Would it have been too much of an operational hassle for Skoda to have had another sub-variant where the automatics were provided with 6 air bags. Would have saved them this weird decision, at least in the eyes of the minority who would have appreciated the added safety angle. As for the current 2 airbag variant, the majority would anyway not be too concerned with the missing airbags and not affect sales of those either.
To me it looks like Zac and his team executed a well thought of plan, they wanted the introductory prices to be low for top of the line variants, so omitted the 6 airbag variants in top end models, and being simply clever left room for a Onyx 1.0 AT variant with 6 airbags and L&K 1.5 AT with 6 airbags. It makes sense as the success of creta/seltos clearly shows there is no role of safety/airbags in making them segment leaders in terms of sales, there sales success clearly shows they have sensed the nerve of a common buyer who want a panoramic sunroof/disco lights/gizmos, and in a attempt to make their car look appealing in the interior front Skoda have used lot of shiny plastics which looks cheap. In case of older VAG cars we had textured and less shiny plastic which had a sense of elegance not bling.

As far as my thought goes the car is a tastefully done car, none of the elements felt out of place, be it the AC vents. It is just the black and grey interior which was a real let down for me, as i sit in a black and beige interior and it gives me a feel of elegance. I was able to notice the plastics a tad different because i know what are the plastics that were used in Rapid, a non VAG customer will definitely like everything about the car.
any23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 10:13   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

I was expecting 9 secs or less which is similar to the VW TROC but good performance nevertheless. How does this compare with the Seltos 1.4 GT?
KUSHAQ is a faster car than T-Roc
Source: Autocar India
Acceleration( from rest)

Kushaq T-Roc

20kph 1.47 1.83

40kph 2.78 3.18

60kph 4.55 4.93

80kph 6.86 7.14

100kph 9.54 9.89

120 kph 13.26 13.3

140kph 18.09 18.34

Acceleration (in gear,kickdown)
Kushaq T-Roc
20-80kph 5.66 5.51

40-100 kph 6.75 6.36

T- Roc is fast only in 20-80, 40-100.
If Kushaq is faster in 0-100 then why it is not fast in 20-80 ??

Last edited by sagwal : 17th July 2021 at 10:13. Reason: Source
Old 17th July 2021, 11:46   #1092
BHPian

Quote:

As expected the 1.5 TSI AT is the fastest to the ton. It also has the best kick-down acceleration times of 5.66 seconds for the 20-80 run and 6.75 seconds for the 40-100!
Interestingly the more docile Seltos 1.5 CVT beats the 1.0 TSI AT in 0-100 numbers by over 1 sec.

1.5 TSI and Seltos 1.4 Turbo are neck to neck in DSG/DCT avatar with 1.5 being slightly faster. In manual form Seltos 1.4 is quicker !
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-specsheet.jpg  

Turbokick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 12:00   #1093
BHPian

I checked out the car today and was left underwhelmed. The car has no distinct personality and will easily get lost in the crowd. My first impression when I saw it in flesh - "This reminds me of the Maruti S-Cross". It seemed as if Skoda had done what Toyota is doing with Maruti cars in India.

Exterior fit and finish is good, but nothing exceptional. Paint quality seemed good. The alloy wheels look good on the car. The dimensions are a bit awkward. At first glance it comes across as a crossover and not a SUV.

Interiors are a big disappointment. The class leading attention to detail, fit and finish etc that is expected from a "premium" brand are clearly missing. It seemed Skoda India cut too many corners and ended up with a complete mess.

Now, the most important aspect - the asking price. Skoda is not to blame entirely for messing up the pricing. The Korean twins take the cake when it comes to overcharging customers.

In summary, I walked out of the showroom disappointed. The build up to this "most important" launch by Skoda in India had raised my expectations sky high. I won't be surprised if after the initial pick up in sales, this car is relegated to the back alleys of the Indian car bazaar (like the Mahindra Marazzo).

Last edited by kushagra452 : 17th July 2021 at 12:02.
kushagra452 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 12:38   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Interestingly the more docile Seltos 1.5 CVT beats the 1.0 TSI AT in 0-100 numbers by over 1 sec.

1.5 TSI and Seltos 1.4 Turbo are neck to neck in DSG/DCT avatar with 1.5 being slightly faster. In manual form Seltos 1.4 is quicker !
No, Autocar is not always right, check this video, you can see 0-100 1.0 TSI in 12.5 sec multiple times

Old 17th July 2021, 12:52   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Exterior fit and finish is good, but nothing exceptional. Paint quality seemed good. The alloy wheels look good on the car. The dimensions are a bit awkward. At first glance it comes across as a crossover and not a SUV.

Interiors are a big disappointment. The class leading attention to detail, fit and finish etc that is expected from a "premium" brand are clearly missing. It seemed Skoda India cut too many corners and ended up with a complete mess.
As i mentioned VAG cars are known for their elegance not the bling, bling fades away with time but elegance lasts long.

Same is the case with interiors, you read the creta review here on team-bhp forum it says - the creta interior feels premium bcz it does not uses flashy(glossy) plastics as in seltos, the same is the case with Kushaq, as i mentioned in previous post if skoda could have used the same plastics as used in Rapid that would have sufficed, but they tried satisfying customers requirement of bling and messed up using flashy plastics.

It is not any brands fault, i feel they are trying to satisfy customers, we all wanted Skoda to do a Creta/Seltos and they tried, why we all complaining that it is not up to the mark with Skoda standards, we wanted a Creta/Seltos with a Skoda badge, here it is.

Last edited by any23 : 17th July 2021 at 13:06.
any23 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks