Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 12:46   #61
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Excellent review for the most awaited car of recent times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Here are the acceleration figures of the XUV700 for both Petrol and Diesel Engines.

2-litre mStallion direct-injection turbo-petrol. Tested it with VBOX.

0-100kmph: 9.51s
0-160kmh: 25.89s
1/4 mile: 16.92s @ 135.5kmph
Top speed: 197.4kmph

Attachment 2194750

2.2-litre mHawk Diesel
0-100kmph: 9.88s
0-160kmh: 26.11s
1/4 mile: 17.17s @ 133.8kmp
Top speed: 191.8 kmph

Link
Good 0-100 numbers!
I was expecting the petrol version to do 0-100 in under 9 seconds and the diesel to do it in 9.5 secs (as Innova Crysta with its 2.8L 170PS engine and 6 speed AT claimed to do 0-100 in 9.8 seconds).

Good, but not great!
Geta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 12:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Underwhelming review for the most awaited car. The review ends abruptly after the interior pictures. A 'verdict' section summarizing the conclusions of the reviewer is missing. Also advanced features like ADAS cannot be reviewed in a picture only review. Videos should be included for the review of such features.

Last edited by poloman : 18th August 2021 at 12:49.
poloman is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 12:55   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Most detailed review for the most awaited Car. Rated 5 Star.

Here are the acceleration figures of the XUV700 for both Petrol and Diesel Engines.

2-litre mStallion direct-injection turbo-petrol. Tested it with VBOX.

0-100kmph: 9.51s
0-160kmh: 25.89s
1/4 mile: 16.92s @ 135.5kmph
Top speed: 197.4kmph

2.2-litre mHawk Diesel
0-100kmph: 9.88s
0-160kmh: 26.11s
1/4 mile: 17.17s @ 133.8kmp
Top speed: 191.8 kmph
With all the features and the crazy price, the performance is something that's generally forgotten for the XUV 700. I mean, based on these numbers, this almost 2 tonne SUV is faster than all sedans, hatchbacks and compact SUVs between 10 - 20 lakhs except the 1.5 TSI VW twin SUVs. Heck, if you go for the base petrol, it probably even cheaper than an i20 or Polo turbo-petrol, the current hot hatches for the Indian audiences. Even the diesel XUV 700 is as fast as these (though the 185 bhp is more expensive but then again this is a SUV).

So, its like having a BMW X5 that is faster than a Golf GTI but costs less. I can't figure out if Mahindra is even making a profit given the engine and features they are offering, perhaps have they decided to sell at very thin margins to capture the market?
dragracer567 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 12:55   #64
BHPian

Great review as always, but if Mods can Clarify/comment on
1. T & L suffix on some variants.
2. Quality of roofliner.
3. Camera Quality.
4. Quality of Leather on the seats.
5. There is a mention of wide panel gaps, where exactly are the gaps wide?

Other observations are
1. Lack of auto dimming IRVM. Mahindra dealers can get it fixed I guess. Not a deal breaker as can be fitted aftermarket.
2. Ventilated seats. Again not a deal breaker but a nice to have feature.
Old 18th August 2021, 13:01   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Excellent review as always. Mahindra has a winner in their stable with XUV700
While Mahindra has checked most of the boxes, few things that are glaringly obvious are
  • No Auto dimming IRVM
  • No ventilated seats
  • Lack of proper sized spare tyre
  • Not providing proper 3 point seat belt for the mid passenger in the rear

Don't know how much would have costed to provide these important features. This is cheap.
Exactly my thoughts. Auto dimming IRVM is like a very basic feature now. The ventilated seats might have been omitted as M&M think their AC is very powerful (maybe?). I would love ventilated seats on this car. Another small but definitely a miss is all window auto up and down function. At this premium offering, Mahindra should have given that.
Old 18th August 2021, 13:06   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

I wonder what made Mahindra mount the rear camera at such a odd place. Could have been mounted above the logo (still protected from rains) or under the logo similar to the front ADAS camera making the design look more symmetrical. How was the image/video quality during reversing, (a) in low light conditions and (b) bright daylight or directly facing sun?

Is the boot release mechanism better than XUV5OO?

Do the turn indicators are sequential at the rear too?
Pulse500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 13:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

Very nice crisp review. Please do add some more details about the 3D Surround sound system as well.

Overall a great product from Mahindra. They have picked from where they have left XUV500 and made dramatic changes. It may have similar design language as a XUV500 but thats a good thing and most manufacturers do that to keep their products differentiated. Beyond that I dont see a single visible part on inside or outside that is reused. Diesel engine is same but that unit is a gem with no match from the beginning.

I bought my XUV500 W8 (top end at the time) for 17lacs on road in Bangalore in 2015. XUV700 variant that fits the price point today would offer more on all fronts except for maybe airbags. Not many manufactures can claim that, even sub 4m SUVs are touching 15 lacs now.

I am may be in the market 2-3 yrs from now to change my XUV500 and by then feel XUV700 would have undergone some iterations and bug fixes. I have so far not had any niggles on my 1st generation XUV.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 13:08   #68
BHPian

Very crisp review, waiting for the Petrol manual review, which might be the variant of choice for many given its entry level pricing and a cracker of an engine.

Though I noticed in the first few lines of your review you mentioned the MX diesel’s price as 12.99 lacs, where as I think It is in fact 12.49 lacs.

https://www.cardekho.com/mahindra/xuv700?amp=1
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 13:09   #69
BHPian

As per Autocar Review, Drive Modes (the famous Zip,Zap,Zoom) are available only in Diesel AT.

sudharshan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 13:13   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Here’s something you don’t see every day. Note how much the doorpad extends above the window line. This has been done to make the dashboard and doorpad intersection look seamless. It looks okay from the inside but quite odd from the outside. The top of the doorpad is not wide enough to rest your arm:
Quote:

Niggles & Problems

Most brand-new Mahindra models have some niggles or the other in their 1st / 2nd production years. Sadly, our test car faced an issue with the infotainment unit. Ideally, short-pressing the rotary knob should select the option highlighted. Instead, it kept sending the screen to "lock mode". That is, a short press was being recognised as a long press. I tried the same thing on another XUV700 and it worked fine. Another media's test car suffered power loss while driving. Restarting it got the power back, but also a 'check engine' light. Remember that this SUV has a lot of tech wizardry. Make sure you get that extended warranty pack. If you've fallen for the XUV700, we'd recommend buying it once the niggles of the initial batches are sorted out.
Great effort by Mahindra and the mods on the car and the review respectively. This is a dynamic product for sure and loaded to the gills and much more mature than earlier Mahindras. But still the above paras prove that Mahindra still has some more efforts to put to match the engineering standard of foreign brands. But at the aggressive pricing, we really can't complain much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Till then, this is the most honest review so far on Youtube, highlighting both the good (engine, performance, etc) and the bad (laggy screen, notchy gearbox, missing features, etc):

https://Youtu.be/Gw1b5ADm2AU
No offence but this "honest" reviewer of yours is the same guy who used to do 260 km/h on public roads and put others lives in danger along with his. Are his reviews informative? Maybe, are they pleasant to watch? Hell no. I don't want someone shouting like a child when reviewing a car, that is downright irritating and immature.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 18th August 2021 at 13:20.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 13:28   #71
BHPian

My summary's tagline- The Cheetah has now evolved into a home cat.

So, what was all that super hype, take my money, my booking, this is unbelievable, this- that, all about? I don't see anything revolutionary. The top end diesel will cost Ex.19.9 or there about like the rest of the competition and I would be very careful picking a petrol engine for a SUV.

Exterior- Looks very Marazzo like. From very busy to confusing with millions of cuts, creases, materials, colors, textures and badges. The rear has Tiguan or Taigun or the latest VW style language. The logo has a square kind of housing which looks out of place. The alloys have the MG Hector feel. The door handles could break if you walk into them when they open or have not gone back yet. The door pad extension to feature those extra buttons sums up the design of this car, which is that there was never any concrete design idea but things were added as they went along.

Overall I feel the butch, thug looks are gone and now looks a lot tame.

Interior- Quality of the materials and the look and feel appears to be top class. Mid row seats not sliding is not good. The white seats will get dirty very fast. The screens look great but are they responsive? The sound systems in most cars are super hyped because sound is very personal.

So, if I were in the market right now, would I buy one? No, I won't.

That said, I am really happy to see so many folks interested and many more who will buy. Now's the time to stop putting money into FD's but to spend on cars. Get those down payments and car loans rolling! I feel great when companies do well, sell more products because that generates cash flows, creates movement and generates new employment opportunities. Much needed especially in current times in our country. The waiting periods will be big and wishing Mahindra all the success!
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 13:34   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Just two bits :
1. M&M please keep the pricing for rest of the variants very competitive as well.
2. Hopefully the gizmos dont turn nightmarish.
May I know which features are Gizmos
Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 13:41   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagwal View Post
May I know which features are Gizmos
Thanks
1. Feature loaded infotainment system including the connected car tech
2. Door handles which are electronically operated
3. Drive modes
4. Voice command system

and so on
Turbokick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 13:44   #74
BHPian

Lovely, crisp review. Looks like this is going to repeat its predecessor's success.
The white seats will be a pain to maintain though. I know they look good, but what's with this new trend of white interiors? Doesn't work for our dusty conditions.

On the missing features like auto-dimming mirrors, ventilated seats, etc - I feel they will introduce these at a later date, maybe a couple of years down the line once demand/production stabilizes. If AX7 is currently the top variant, maybe an AX9 next? Add a nice black interior too and voila!
Old 18th August 2021, 13:47   #75
BHPian

Thank you for a crisp and honest review as always T-BHP. Did seem a little underwhelming to me. Will wait to read more in coming days.

As mentioned by many, the first few batches of Mahindra cars are prone to niggles. Considering the XUV700 is literally a computer-on-wheels, will have to control my excitement and avoid booking immediately. Not really confident of all electronics working on point. The only downside of booking later would be the fear of price increase and a longer waiting period however.

Also, no auto-dimming IRVM and no ventilated seats!!! What were you thinking, Mahindra? Exactly how much would this have cost anyway? Definitely a glaring omission, considering that we could have done without a couple of other features instead of leaving these out.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed