Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2021, 10:00   #256
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Opting out of Punch and then going for Santro / WagonR means we had terribly low expectations on the price. At best, it could have been slightly less than / at par with the Altroz.

Now that we know it is not the case and Tata went all SUV pricing that this closer to Nexon than it is to Altroz, maybe the prospective buyers should opt for the Altroz instead.

Apart from the higher GC and no waiting period, the Punch doesn't seem to have a lot going for itself.

Altroz, by comparison is a physically larger car in all dimensions and with lower weight, it should be faster as well while being almost as safe. You can also have it in Turbo Petrol / Diesel if you want it to go even faster.

Altroz is, in my books, the most well rounded product in this price range and should be looked at instead of the Pulse. That is what I would recommend to everyone.

Renault Kiger (Turbo) is another option that can be explored. ASEAN NCAP 4 Star rating is actually safer than GNCAP 5 star.
antz.bin is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 10:23   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
All these newer cars coming in - while not directly comparable in kit/capability/use-case - are showing how the Ignis actually was/is a good car!

All of a sudden the Ignis (which is a failed car in our market) seems quite practical and value for money. Its worth noting that even the Zeta variant of the Ignis, is very well kitted out. Even includes a rear wash+wipe & defogger in fact. Spend 20K on a good HID projector fog light setup & a good Android Head unit in it - and you are golden! I always liked the Ignis and continue to like it for its practicality and fun to drive + fiddle nature. Strangely it failed for its "looks" when even weirder looking cars like the WagonR, Venue, Magnite, Punch (even the Nexon perhaps) are acceptable in the same market!
True. Couldn't understand why the Ignis is an average seller. Atleast in my place, Ignis sales is up there with the new WagonR. The Sigma variant, though bare, is much superior to buying a top end Spresso or WagonR.

The current Zeta variant does come with the touchscreen unit, Android auto and all. And from reports, they have managed to cure the horrible steering tuning of cheaper Marutis in the BS6 version.

Loved the quirky JDM look, eventhough they kinda destroyed it with the Jeep wannabe facelift.

Last edited by DicKy : 20th October 2021 at 10:24.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 11:23   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post

Really struggling especially as it is out first car. To be used by myself, wife and 2 kids.
Tiago AMT is the best choice for you in my opinion.

* Value for money
* Safe
* Looks much better than ignis/spresso/wagon r
* As spacious as ignis
* More kit for money you spend
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 11:36   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Tiago AMT is the best choice for you in my opinion.

* Value for money
* Safe
* Looks much better than ignis/spresso/wagon r
* As spacious as ignis
* More kit for money you spend
Thanks. Will try to check it out in more detail this weekend may be. Before even news of Punch, that was what were looking for anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Opting out of Punch and then going for Santro / WagonR means we had terribly low expectations on the price.
Not terribly low but yes not this 9.3L high for the variant I liked (car, not the price). May be my lack of knowledge about cars attributed to this. As I told, as I think about spresso right now, something inside me keeps telling me not to go for that. Heart and Mind are conflicted.
But yes, a safe car would be good any day.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th October 2021 at 12:11. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Old 20th October 2021, 13:09   #260
Senior - BHPian

New TVC

nairrk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 13:40   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay, no waiting times for the pre-booked punch. The real question is how many of those who pre-booked will be going ahead with the purchase, now that the Punch is one expensive small c-suv?

I saw one white Punch being delivered on the day of launch. So, it's true Tata has a lot of Punch in stock.

Meanwhile Altroz and Nexon have a 50 days waiting period in my city. I was lucky enough to get the car delivered in 20 days.

Kudos to Tata for grabbing the opportunity in using the "India's safest car" tag. They did it with the Nexon. Then XUV300 grabbed it from them.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 20th October 2021 at 13:44.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 16:02   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- I don't think it matters to you as a buyer. TML would have it easy by swapping out the ICE with an electrical powertrain but in the end you will have to buy the new car, call it ePunch or whatever.
If you're thinking about a conversion of the car outside which I doubt, I would strongly discourage it. Electricals and powetrains should not be messed with. Let a company like TML design, build, test and troubleshoot it.

- This is something you've to ask yourself.
Punch has the negatives of pricing, being the first iteration it is supposed to have some niggles, waiting period, TML's hit/miss service and positives being the 5 star GNCAP, fresh and good looks and assuming a better ride as TML cars usually have.

Ignis has the negatives of 3 star GNCAP primarily, polarising looks and positives being a better refined powetrain, MSIL's spare and service, proven car, better FE and pricing.

I am not going to recommend a 3star GNCAP over a 5star GNCAP rated car due to the sensitivities involved but would recommend you to go through the points and most importantly take the TDs again if still confused and let the person who will be driving take the call.

Good Luck
Thankyou for that input about the ignis vs punch point.
Sorry but I was asking about TML coming up with electric conversion kits in the future?
Will there be anything of that sort if so then the car might not feel as much overpriced. Because I live in a 2nd tier city in MP and the closest fast charger is 300kms away. We really wanted to buy an electric vehicle but it would not suffice our needs so we decided to buy a cheaper car for the time being until the infrastructure is not developed.
But I read somewhere that Tata vehicles would be easy to convert as there are kits being developed to accommodate that need.
I was really hoping for a clear news or Info from some of the members who are in contact with Tata officials.
Old 20th October 2021, 16:36   #263
BHPian

Looks like there's no waiting period at all for the Punch. However seeing no posts/pics of people actually taking deliveries and I don't see anyone here opting to go for it either. Agreed, there is a larger market out there. But it looks like Tata has sabotaged any chances they had of doing well, let alone winning, in this market with the Punch. Poor engine. Bad pricing.
smoes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 16:57   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pramathyu View Post
But I read somewhere that Tata vehicles would be easy to convert as there are kits being developed to accommodate that need.
No idea about this, someone else might answer if they know.
Based on your location, currently EVs/kit don't make sense.
Old 20th October 2021, 17:23   #265
BHPian

Found this on YouTube. Magnite definitely has better road presence and looks better too.

RD150 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 18:50   #266
FHW
BHPian

More on Punch pricing:

Today received the revised OTR price for Punch Creative MT from the dealership: Rs 9.85 Lacs (with iRA Rs 10.18 Lac)
Same dealership quoted Rs 9.67 Lacs for Altroz XZ+
18k difference was in the insurance premium.

Rs. 9.09 Lacs for Altroz XZ.

I think the Punch pricing is simplify my finalization.
FHW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 20:36   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Why FCA? Especially since there is no diesel involved and 1.3 MJD is phased out already

FCA still manufactures does all the machining of 1.2 NA as well as 1.2 Turbo petrol mills that go into Tata Cars. Better say FPT manufactures these for TATA.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 20:44   #268
BHPian

We had finalised to buy either Ford Ecosport or Tata punch. After Ford news, got a sweet deal on my friend's ecosport. Bit the bullet and bought the car in the first week of Oct. Looking at the Punch's price, I would have surely regretted if I had waited for its pricing and let go of ecosport.

Last edited by Poornavakra : 20th October 2021 at 20:55.
Poornavakra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 12:00   #269
BHPian

Line up after PDI. Size comparison with big brother Harrier.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch Review-whatsapp-image-20211021-11.58.16-2.jpeg  

Tata Punch Review-whatsapp-image-20211021-11.58.16-1.jpeg  

Tata Punch Review-whatsapp-image-20211021-11.58.16.jpeg  

PapaBravo is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 12:12   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
FCA still manufactures does all the machining of 1.2 NA as well as 1.2 Turbo petrol mills that go into Tata Cars. Better say FPT manufactures these for TATA.
That's news to me. I was under the impression that the F-T plant in Chakan, worked on the diesel engines (specifically the 2.0 MJD that Tata buys). The petrol mills were manufactured independently by Tata at the Sanand plant. At least that's what I believed all along. The petrol engine joint venture ended with the end of the 1.2 and 1.4 FIRE/SAFIRE NA engines that were used in the Vista/Manza. Since the erstwhile 4 cyl 1.2 Revotron, Tata is making its own engines independently (Bolt-Zest onwards). Nevertheless - not bad if the collaboration extends into other engines etc - better stability and revenue for the plant and safety for the employees!
I guess what your post means is the machining is done at TF plant and final engine assembly happens on the Sanand line?

Last edited by Reinhard : 21st October 2021 at 12:18.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks