Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 16:10   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
With the elder brother Nexon
Thanks for comparo photo in same colour shade, shows how much Nexon rear hatch is overdone and how simplistic it is for Punch.
sukiwa is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 16:44   #197
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Example the elbow rest at the rear(who decided to use white there!!)
My guess: Tata might have recruited that ex-Ignis door design engineer from MS and asked him to design like Ignis but not exactly like it.

Tata Punch Review-rear-door-ignis.jpg
Photo Courtesy: TBHP Official review for Ignis
KPR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 16:51   #198
BHPian

The top variants are definitely overpriced. And Rs 60,000 premium for an AMT is just absurd.
40-45K premium for an AMT would have been fine.
I have no problem with AMTs having daily driven Celerio AMT for nearly 5 years. Got used to the jerkiness and having driven in manual mode like 90% of the times. I am fine by an AMT but this much premium for an AMT by Tata is just not justified.
Renault Kiger or Nissan Magnite gets us CVTs at similar price range.
dr_TJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 17:07   #199
Senior - BHPian

Decided to check cars from other segments, Astor style is just one lakh away from Punch's top-end trim, except for alloy wheels and 5 Star safety, Astor clearly is the better deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch Review-img_20211018_170716.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 19th October 2021 at 05:25. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks
giri1.8 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 17:43   #200
Senior - BHPian

Here’s how Tata Punch lines up on the price graph

Quote:
The Tata Punch rivals high-riding hatchbacks like the Maruti Suzuki Ignis and Mahindra KUV100 NXT, with higher variants also expected to see competition from the Renault Kiger and Nissan Magnite compact SUVs.
Tata Punch Review-20211018_174255.jpg

Source : Autocar India

Last edited by Venkatesh : 18th October 2021 at 17:45.
Venkatesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 18:08   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

All these newer cars coming in - while not directly comparable in kit/capability/use-case - are showing how the Ignis actually was/is a good car!

All of a sudden the Ignis (which is a failed car in our market) seems quite practical and value for money. Its worth noting that even the Zeta variant of the Ignis, is very well kitted out. Even includes a rear wash+wipe & defogger in fact. Spend 20K on a good HID projector fog light setup & a good Android Head unit in it - and you are golden! I always liked the Ignis and continue to like it for its practicality and fun to drive + fiddle nature. Strangely it failed for its "looks" when even weirder looking cars like the WagonR, Venue, Magnite, Punch (even the Nexon perhaps) are acceptable in the same market!

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th October 2021 at 18:36. Reason: Varient corrected
Reinhard is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 18:11   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Let us welcome our home grown major presenting their offering to us with an open heart and move towards them. Good to see them offer some very good products which are offering tough competition to automakers from round the world.

This product with such a good pricing and feature seems to be a Brezza killer to me
Agree with your earlier point 100%. Any competition is good competition. And with safe cars Tata is doing a good job. Kudos on that point.

But boy have they messed up the pricing!!
Honestly I feel the Punch won't be able to hold a candle against the Brezza (old interiors aside). The Brezza Vxi@8.67 lakhs ex-showroom looks like a steal now compared to the Punch. What you're getting is a silky smooth engine which is also PUNCHy (sorry I had to )

I'm trying to list out other cars that people should check out before signing the dotted line: (all prices are ex-showroom & I've left out diesels just to compare petrol models). What's important to note, all these cars have a better usable and more powerful engine that will serve its owner well.

1. Nexon XM (Turbo-petrol) 8.27 L
2. Nexon XMS (Turbo-petrol) 8.81 L
3. Altroz XZ iTurbo 8.7 L
4. Brezza Vxi 8.67 L
5. Magnite XV Premium Turbo(O) 8.85 L
6. Magnite XV Turbo CVT 9.1 L
7. Kiger RXT Turbo 8.12 L

(I haven't added the TSI value bombs from Skoda and VW cause enough has been said about them on the forum.)
The pricing of the Punch makes the Altroz look like great value, which it is. A lot of purchase decisions will become very straightforward now
John316_WRC is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 18:28   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
All of a sudden the Ignis (which is a failed car in our market) seems quite practical and value for money. Its worth noting that even the Delta variant of the Ignis, is very well kitted out. Even includes a rear wash+wipe & defogger in fact.
I believe that you're mistaking the Zeta variant for the Delta variant. Check the attached e-Brochure for details.

IGNIS_6 Pages Brochure.pdf
AdityaDeane is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 18:47   #204
BHPian

Here's the on road pricing for Bangalore.

Tata Punch Review-punch-road-bangalore.jpg
Coyote is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 19:07   #205
BANNED

The pricing of higher variants especially AMT as pointed out by others is too high. When will this stupid gearbox be done away with . This AMT is going to be a deal breaker for many. Charge another ₹50k or ₹1 lakh and give us at least an option of a TC or CVT!
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 19:36   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
The pricing of higher variants especially AMT as pointed out by others is too high. When will this stupid gearbox be done away with. This AMT is going to be a deal breaker for many. Charge another ₹50k or ₹1 lakh and give us at least an option of a TC or CVT!
If we look at the sales number break-ups - I'm sure AMT versions of all cars that do offer it - will show sufficient numbers to justify the technology.

Being an AMT owner myself (in my city hatch) - I find it absolutely fine as long as I know how it behaves AND I know what my requirements are. Its an improvement over an MT in terms of convenience. Absolutely everything else - is like an MT! People complain a lot about the slow shifts of an AMT - I'd like to see these people shift a lot faster and efficiently than the AMT without damaging the clutch or getting abysmal FE figures. Maybe a few true enthusiasts and experts. How many real world drivers are like that? If we look at the accidents & traffic discipline of drivers on our roads - they are below average. AMT is just fine.

Especially in a market where a car as costly as the Seltos sells with an "iMT" - AMT is definitely here to stay & absolutely worth it. What a company wants to charge for anything - is their call. Whether we buy it or not, is ours. For example - I wouldn't say the Punch is priced too high. I'll simply say its optimistic - and its certain that I'd not buy it for the asking price .

The real fly in the ointment in case of Tata Motors specifically is - they are giving ONLY AMT in cars below the Harrier. What they need is an option of a CVT and TC in specific cars. A CVT in the Altroz & Punch, a TCAT in the Altroz & Nexon Diesel. Thats what will properly distinguish their product portfolio and justify some of the tags. For example - the "Premium" offering Altroz - is the only car in their line-up that has no automatic at all! Thats plain stupid . In fact - had they at least offered an AMT at lower pricing - that car would have sold a lot more. Add a CVT/DCT whatever - when its available. Keep it along-side the AMT. People will choose what they need.

Last edited by Reinhard : 18th October 2021 at 19:39.
Reinhard is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 20:09   #207
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch secures a full 5-star rating in the GNCAP

Saw one on Kanakapura Road today.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch Review-09bb36a51aec4fe68d2807ae44fe2193.jpeg  

chethan.ram is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 21:05   #208

The pricing of the Punch seems optimistic Downside being 2 things mainly
1. Lacklustre engine performance
2. AMT gearbox

The 11 lakhs OTR price tag for the Creative AMT is shocking IMO.

I assume they are playing their trump card with the Safest car in India tag.
Or is this an indication that the Punch is going to fill up the shoes of the Nexon and the Nexon pushed towards the Creta/Seltos bracket. ��
mark4nano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 21:05   #209
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch - TVC

Quote:
I am Tata PUNCH - the SUV that VibesWithYou.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 22:22   #210
BHPian

First time visiting this thread and a bit shocked to see bhp’ians who show high regards for safety all of a sudden push safety down the list (as nice to have) and bring up the pricing a very high priority. No wonder Maruti sells more cars, I do respect them for that. Every manufacturer has a price point to play and a customer base to serve.

Korean cars selling double this price could only achieve borderline 3 star rating and we are expecting Tata to give a 5 star rated product at Maruti’s hatchback price. They have their Tiago/Tigor for that isn’t it?

Genuinely curious, did Tata earlier mention they are going to pitch it against Ignis? Or was it an assumption as usual by media given the size? And same with the pricing?

I somehow feel these are the reasons that forces a manufacturer change direction and eventually be dead (Read Ford).
ganesc is offline   (24) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks