Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 13:23   #466

Re: 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaurougeatSpa View Post
I have seen this earlier.. was quite intrigued. But unsure how usable it will be for a normal person. Especially with regards to taking backups of existing code baseline etc. I found that there was an option for wireless car play that can be enabled with a USB dongle. For 360 I would think it requires camera hardware setup as well.
The car seems useful enough to check the health and clear fault codes will save unnecessary trips to the VW service center at least. for $100, it seems like an investment to be made. I've ordered one, will post a review when I get it. Can you share detail on the carplay via USB dongle? I'm using the carlinkit for now and it seems to work well. there are minor glitches at times, but a battery reset fixes it all. The 360-degree camera setup if available and will fill in all the missing gaps. Also wondering if anyone has got the stage 1 ECU remapped. The guys at Quantum tuning claim an FE increase by 1-2 km/lt besides the increase across the power band.
TheMufi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 15:17   #467
R_R
BHPian

After what seems like an eternity (especially to my wife!) of debating pros and cons, I’ve finally decided, reluctantly, to pass on the VW Tiguan in favour of buying a Toyota Fortuner petrol AT. I still love the Tiguan and will likely look at it longingly every time I see it on the road somewhere but I decided that given my needs, especially that I can’t justify spending 40L unless I keep the car for the full fifteen years, the Fortuner was the safer bet. Like much else in life, choosing a car is also a compromise, and I feel I compromise less with this choice than the alternative. I do want to thank all here who helped me in making my decision, and particularly @MadHawk for putting me in touch with Mr. Dheeraj Handa at Liftech VW in Ghaziabad, who came a long way (50 kms!) to give me a good test drive on the Tiguan, clearly going well beyond the call of duty. This was exceptional service, considering all the bad things we hear and experience about VW sales and service. One of the things I am most unhappy about is that I couldn’t give him a sale! I’ve explained my decision more fully in the Fortuner Facelift thread, if anyone’s interested.
Link (2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review)
R_R is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 00:51   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
After what seems like an eternity (especially to my wife!) of debating pros and cons, I’ve finally decided, reluctantly, to pass on the VW Tiguan in favour of buying a Toyota Fortuner petrol AT.
Congratulations on putting your finger down. It’s a great vehicle and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it immensely.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 19:49   #469

Since my old car started acting up and couldn't get the Tiguan due the delivery issues, I went ahead and bought the Octavia L&K last month.

All the best for your future road-trips in your Tiguan guys!
MohanPyare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 20:15   #470
BHPian

Does any body have real life pictures of the dolphin grey Tiguan? The SA says it’s not the same as the steel grey colour in Skoda superb sportline.
Also, is it possible to paint the bumpers to body colour?
Old 11th September 2022, 21:24   #471
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Does any body have real life pictures of the dolphin grey Tiguan? The SA says it’s not the same as the steel grey colour in Skoda superb sportline.
The pictures that accompanies the review of the facelifted model on p. 1 of this thread are of a Dolphin Grey Tiguan.
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 21:31   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
The bumpers come in body colour as stock.
I own a dolphin grey Tiguan, pm me your contact, will message you some pics if you want.
troika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 18:42   #473

Hello BHPians, This is my first post on the forum although have been an ardent follower for many years. Currently going through a similar conundrum of Tiguan vs Rest of the world!

Quote:
After what seems like an eternity (especially to my wife!) of debating pros and cons, I’ve finally decided, reluctantly, to pass on the VW Tiguan in favour of buying a Toyota Fortuner petrol AT. I still love the Tiguan and will likely look at it longingly every time I see it on the road somewhere but I decided that given my needs, especially that I can’t justify spending 40L unless I keep the car for the full fifteen years, the Fortuner was the safer bet. Like much else in life, choosing a car is also a compromise, and I feel I compromise less with this choice than the alternative.
Congrats on your decision!
Your post helped me track down a Petrol AT Fortuner for test drive at MGF Gurgaon. Though I ended up deciding against it for the said reasons:

1. You do not get inside the Fortuner, but on it - Coming from a family of hatchbacks and sedans, this is a giant leap for us (pun intended!)

2. Driving dynamics - the petrol engine does not do justice to the size of the vehicle. Not happy with the AT gearbox either. Steering wheel was a bit heavy for my liking within city limits. Apart from this, enough has been said about the ride quality

3. Price - I couldn't get my head around the ~5 lakh premium (over the Tiguan). Am I paying extra money for road presence, reliability and resale value? Also, the SA wouldn't budge on the insurance amount and wouldn't let me get my own insurance either. This and additional logistics charges on the vehicle. Plus, he mentioned there will be tentative price hike of ~1 lakh from Oct 1st.

No offence to existing or future owners of Fortuner!

Talking about the Rest of the World :

Mahindra XUV 7OO
Step into the vehicle and you will realize why it costs a good 10 lakhs lesser than its competition. This and the fact that the TD vehicle was extremely dirty from the inside and running on a steel spare wheel, did not impress us.

Hyundai Tucson
Test drove the Petrol version today and was welcomed by a rich cabin (if not as premium as Tiguan). Enough has already been said in the reviews. But comparing it with Tiguan, I feel the performance to be adequate for city runs and decent for highways. It will not give you that German adrenaline rush and the 6 speed AT is no match for the DSG on Tiguan. However, its something I can live with by paying 4 lakhs lesser than Tiguan (including the extended warranty package that is a must buy for foreseeable DSG issues).

Verdict - I have already put down my money on the Tiguan and thinking about the Tucson. I guess it will come down to who deliver the vehicle faster.

Still open to opinions from the group as I am yet to book the Tucson.

I see a lot of interest among B'lore folks for Tucson.
Kumbaya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 21:14   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbaya View Post
Still open to opinions from the group as I am yet to book the Tucson.

I see a lot of interest among B'lore folks for Tucson.
I love the emoji
If you are going to be chauffeured most of the time then, the top end petrol Tucson could be a good option. If self driven and have a heavy foot then Tiguan is the choice for you. Tiguan has less features to the Tucson, but whatever it has, it’s top notch. If you like gadgets then the Tucson again wins.
The Tiguan will definitely age better. Also other key differences would be AWD and Three zone climate control if that matters.
Hope this helps.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 23:04   #475
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbaya View Post

No offence to existing or future owners of Fortuner!

Verdict - I have already put down my money on the Tiguan and thinking about the Tucson. I guess it will come down to who deliver the vehicle faster.

Still open to opinions from the group as I am yet to book the Tucson
This has been a difficult decision for me, a I explained previously, and I am still not sure it's the right one, but the Fortuner seems still the least bad decision for my requirements. So absolutely no offense taken from my side! I think it's a difficult decision for all in this segment. The Fortuner best suits my requirement only because I expect to drive on a lot of bad roads plus NCR rules prevents going for the diesel 4x4 plus I need to keep the vehicle for the full fifteen years to justify spending four million on it. I also don't mind the size. My biggest concerns re the Fortuner is:
1. Not having 4x4 (which I justify to myself by saying I am not an off-roader and I only need it for terrible roads, which I am hoping the Fortuner's outstanding ground clearance and underbody protection etc would take care of even without 4x4)
2. The lack of some key features like panoramic sunroof and memory seats, both of which were features that I was keen to have in my next car (this, I justify to myself saying I can live without it, though I am disappointed)
3. The rather lack-luster interior (my justification is that it has most features that the Tiguan has, and some that Tiguan doesn't like electric passenger seat).

I would have gone for the Hyundai Tucson without hesitation if they had brought in a petrol AWD version. But it has neither the ground clearance or underbody protection of the Fortuner, nor the excellent AWD system of the Tiguan. It falls somewhere between the Tiguan and Toyota as far as reliability goes. So, for my requirements, the petrol 4x2 Tucson just doesn't work. So I didn't even bother with a test drive.

Also, curious about your comment about the 5L premium of the petrol Fortuner over the Tiguan. They are both the same price in the NCR, roughly 39-40 L. Were you thinking maybe of the diesel Fortuner? I don't think there's any significant price difference between the petrol Fortuner and Tiguan, though the Tucson is several lakhs cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaurougeatSpa View Post
If you are going to be chauffeured most of the time then, the top end petrol Tucson could be a good option. If self driven and have a heavy foot then Tiguan is the choice for you. Tiguan has less features to the Tucson, but whatever it has, it’s top notch. If you like gadgets then the Tucson again wins.
The Tiguan will definitely age better. Also other key differences would be AWD and Three zone climate control if that matters.
Hope this helps.
I definitely agree with these points. Though I found the Tiguan front seats a bit lower and slightly more cramped than my Grand Vitara, and surprisingly, was disappointed by the flimsy retracting cover for the sunroof. Despite these, it still pulls at my heartstrings . I just love it's understated elegance, inside and out.

Last edited by R_R : 18th September 2022 at 23:14. Reason: Added another point
R_R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 00:42   #476

Quote:
Also, curious about your comment about the 5L premium of the petrol Fortuner over the Tiguan. They are both the same price in the NCR, roughly 39-40 L. Were you thinking maybe of the diesel Fortuner? I don't think there's any significant price difference between the petrol Fortuner and Tiguan, though the Tucson is several lakhs cheaper.
40.5L + 1L effective Oct 1 is what I was told for Pearl white. I guess I didn't bother to probe into the details after the test drive experience. Hoping you get your car delivered before the increase.

I agree with your comment about the flimsy sunroof cover. Perhaps an aftermarket solution could be explored?
However, one question I haven't been able to answer is what is the failure rate for the dsg or put in simple words, what percentage of those are failing in these cars globally or even in India - if those stats are available anywhere?

Also,any Tucson petrol takers on the forum?
Old 19th September 2022, 17:17   #477
BHPian

Any reference for a competent Volkswagen workshop in NCR for the third scheduled service of my car?
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:32   #478
BHPian

Am unable to get commitment from SA for nightshade blue colour. The dealer is not comfortable taking the booking for blue as they have not received a single blue in the last 8-9 months. Just wanted to know is this the case with all dealers across India?
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:40   #479
R_R
BHPian

Yes, nightshade blue is a great colour, and I was asking for it when I was considering the Tiguan. In NCR, I was told that it would take a couple of months to get this colour. It seems rare, despite it's popularity. Though one of the cars I test drove was nightshade blue!
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:46   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, nightshade blue is a great colour, and I was asking for it when I was considering the Tiguan. In NCR, I was told that it would take a couple of months to get this colour. It seems rare, despite it's popularity. Though one of the cars I test drove was nightshade blue!
Thanks. VW would increase the prices from October 1st and am wondering if waiting for the nightshade blue is worth the wait. If it takes 4-5 months then there is a chance that the prices might again increase and i basically pay more just for the color.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks