Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2023, 14:10   #1411
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustavguha View Post
Is anyone facing frequent Apple Carplay/Android Auto disconnection issues after this update? (Mine is a luxury plus with the 10.25 inch screen)
Sounds like a cable issue. Happens with me some times so I use the cable the other way around and keep the phone stable and it works again. Try changing your data cable and see if the issue persists.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd August 2023 at 14:44. Reason: quote content trimmed
guru_to_be is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 00:06   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_to_be View Post
Sounds like a cable issue.
I have tried different cables, and also bought 2 new ones, still the issue persists.

My 20k service will be coming up in a few days, will ask ASC about the same.
Old 22nd August 2023, 10:12   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post
Hi everyone,

So I've done almost 22K KM in my Carens Lux (O) Auto Diesel in almost 10 months now. Following are the things that have cropped up:

1. In neutral, the car RPMs are jumping from 600-800 rpms, it is a very random occurrence.

2. Car is jerking in cruise control mode b/w 65-69km/h when RPM is close to 1800.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranHyd View Post
I never observed problem #1 but now running into the problem #2 frequently. There is a very feelable jerk. Initially I thought it was due to gear change at low RPM but doesn't look like that. Someone else is also running into the same issue. See few posts before.
Ok, I now have noticed problem#1 too. I had to stop at a traffic signal and I moved the car to N and stopped the AC. The engine started dancing between 700 and 800 RPM and I could feel the car shake. On the next stoppage, I tried to check the behavior but the same didn't happen. This problem has been observed in Seltos (Kia Seltos 1.5L Diesel | Dancing, fluctuating RPM needle at idle) too.

I have now shifted to Reliance Diesel. The car seems to be running smoother, but I still feel the jerks (usually when gears get shifted from 5th to 4th).

Do you still see both these problems?
Old 23rd August 2023, 10:53   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
I guess I have covered all that I had to say and do let me know if anyone has any queries.
Thank you for a crisp yet insightful review of your Carens. I am thinking of buying either a used Hector CVT (2021 FL) or a used Carens 1.4 DCT/1.5 TC. Would love your insights on the following pointers-

A little brief about me- My current cars are Kia Sonet HTX iMT P and Ecosport S TDCI (BS4). I intend to replace the Ecosport for now with either Hector/Carens, and reevaluate my finances if I need to replace the Sonet with a smaller car.

1) Considering I would be replacing the Ecosport, how much am I too miss the driving feel of the Ford, vis a vis the Hector CVT and Carens DCT/AT?

2) My travel generally involves a 20 km daily drive to my office, which is 90% city. Is it worth it to go for a Diesel Carens AT, only asking from DPF issues POV. Or is it worth to go for a petrol DCT to avoid DPF hassles.

3) In Carens, I see that navigation directions can be enabled via MID. Does it also show the maps data when synced with Android Auto or Apple carplay?

4) I normally drive sedately between 80-100 kph. Which of the Hector CVT/Carens DCT/Carens D AT be a great drive on the highway?

5) Whose low speed (city ride) and high speed ride (highway 80-100 kph) is better, Carens or Hector?

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th August 2023, 14:05   #1415

Hi All,

I just completed 10,000 Km servicing a few days back so thought to put my experiences here.

It's just 9 months since I got my Blue Luxury Diesel Carens MT and till now I have enjoyed most of it. Below are my views which I will try to bifurcate into Pros and cons for better and quick reference:

Pros:
- The car is a beauty to drive with literally no engine noise and a calm cabin till 110 kmph post which the wind sound does seep in.
- For 6 adults and a toddler (that's my family) it's a charm from a comfort point of view, decent for 3 of us who are 6+ feet but lavish for the remaining 3 and the toddler in the car seat.
- The power is enough and I believe that's because of its Manual nature, as you can choose it based on anticipation and your driving pleasure. I have driven it on the Satpuda ranges and also the Sahyadri's and didn't find an issue with power on inclines.

Cons:
- I opted to put a footboard to the car (though it's not required, it helps in situations where some bike rider wants to kiss the car and keeps them a bit away), but this creates an issue on the back breaker of speed breaker we have, have to drive cross else it does bottom out and hits the footboard.
- The suspension is a bit soft, which helps in the ride quality but on roads with cratrers of holes it will make you dance inside the car and also for those who have motion sickness it won't help either.
- AC is a chiller but if there are differently opinionated people in the car, and someone places the vent on the diffuser with a high blower it will make a strange whistling noise, so it is better to keep the vent open or closed rather than use the diffuser.

Apart from this, the rest of the points are well discussed on this thread and overall the car will please most and has a good service footprint.
Blue_Silver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 01:05   #1416
BHPian

While parking the car today I noticed that there was mist in both the headlights. These are the LED units from the showroom itself and I haven't done any kind of modifications.
Is this normal? If not then will Kia change the headlamps under warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-20230824_224018.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-20230824_224030.jpg  

Old 25th August 2023, 06:05   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
While parking the car today I noticed that there was mist in both the headlights. These are the LED units from the showroom itself and I haven't done any kind of modifications.
People have reported this issue.. but not sure what solution they have received.. maybe check with the owners -- one such issue is reported in this post..https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5401360
vikramv4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 09:43   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Silver View Post

Apart from this, the rest of the points are well discussed on this thread and overall the car will please most and has a good service footprint.
Thanks for the inputs Blue_Silver. Few queries from my side-
  • Can you brief about your usage pattern. I would be driving it daily to my office (20 km to and fro), and 95% of this drive would be in city traffic. Does getting a diesel Carens make sense, asking from DPF POV. Have you faced any?
  • Does the MID display map directions when connected to android auto or apple car play? Or does it display only for the onboard navigation.
  • What is the FE you are getting in city and highway conditions?
Quote:
Completely normal. This happens in all my cars. If this mist doesn't go away after you have parked, then it's a problem.
Old 25th August 2023, 11:33   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I would be driving it daily to my office (20 km to and fro), and 95% of this drive would be in city traffic. Does getting a diesel Carens make sense, asking from DPF POV. Have you faced any?
It really depends on the traffic conditions you encounter. If you intend to use it with-in the city for extended period of time, you should worry about DPF. If you can take it for a spin on the highway once in a while, you should be good to go. Mine is a 2022 Diesel MT. While I did not encounter DPF issues as of date, mine seem to be running into oil dilution issues which I first began noticing at around 16K Kms on the ODO. The ASC as usual is trying to downplay it. To make things worse, they are even unwilling to do an oil change at my own cost stating that I have only 2000 odd kms to cover before the periodic service. They say mine is the first complaint (which I am not willing to believe) with this issue and they would like to observe it for a few more days and that I can use the vehicle normally in the meantime. I even tried explaining that this might be a result of multiple aborted regens (which, given my usage is not possible) or worst-case scenario, a failing injector. They are not ready to accept the later.

I am not sure about the BS 6.2 ones though since it comes equipped with an SCR system.

On a side note, although the vehicle does not display that it is regenerating, you can notice it. The instantaneous FE drops to below 20 (if you are cruising on a highway) and no matter how gentle you are with the throttle; the instantaneous FE does not raise. Also, the RPM will be slightly high for the 20 min or so it takes for the vehicle to do it's part. Post that, the instantaneous FE magically crosses 20 again while cruising and the RPM drops back to where it was. For example, setting cruise control at 85 (80-81 GPS speed), the RPMs are usually around 1500-1600 mark and the instantaneous FE will be well over 20 (assuming the road is relatively empty). While regenerating, the instantaneous FE drops to below 20 no matter what and the RPM hovers above 1700 mark.

Quote:
Does the MID display map directions when connected to android auto or apple car play? Or does it display only for the onboard navigation.
No, it does not at least in Prestige variants (mine is Prestige Plus). Not sure about the Luxury variants though.

Quote:
What is the FE you are getting in city and highway conditions?
The worst I got was 12 (including a forced regen since soot was at 84%) and the highest was 22.6 (solo driver, couple of duffle bags) - both tankful to tankful. My average for the past 18K kms as per fuelio is 18.01 Kmpl (usage 70% highway, 30% city). City usually gives me 13-14 and highway anywhere between 18-20 with full load (4 passengers with rear seats folded and filled with luggage). I tend to stick to the speed limit mentioned on the road I am travelling on. Crusing above 100 will bring the mileage down by a couple of Kms.
furyrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 16:05   #1420

Quote:
  • Can you brief about your usage pattern. I would be driving it daily to my office (20 km to and fro), and 95% of this drive would be in city traffic. Does getting a diesel Carens make sense, asking from DPF POV. Have you faced any?
  • Does the MID display map directions when connected to android auto or apple car play? Or does it display only for the onboard navigation.
  • What is the FE you are getting in city and highway conditions?
  • - I Have a mixed usage pattern, mostly in the city I drive similar to your requirement, around 50kms to and fro. However 50% of the time it's also on the highway with a minimum drive of around 500kms. So Diesel makes sense.
    - The MID doesn't display the navigation if you are using AA or ACP but if you use the onboard maps (which is inadequate) then it does do a pop-up on the MID, which is again inconsistent, but it hasn't created any issues on even remotest of drive if you have downloaded the maps on your mobile (offline maps in Google maps)
    - It's a heavy car and me a heavy-footed driver, so I don't actually think FE when driving, but for records my Fuelio has seen an average FE of 15.877 km/l, the lowest being 13.22 and the highest being 17.53, so I am surely not the ideal to answer this.
Blue_Silver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 08:11   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
3) In Carens, I see that navigation directions can be enabled via MID. Does it also show the maps data when synced with Android Auto or Apple carplay?
I own a Luxury Plus Diesel AT, the map directions are displayed on the MID only if the inbuilt navigation is used, it shows only a compass when google maps/any other navigation is used via Apple car play/ Android auto.
kaustavguha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 08:23   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for a crisp yet insightful review of your Carens. I am thinking of buying either a used Hector CVT (2021 FL) or a used Carens 1.4 DCT/1.5 TC. Would love your insights on the following pointers.
Thanks 07CR and glad to be of help. Have tried answering your queries as best possible.

Quote:
1) Considering I would be replacing the Ecosport, how much am I too miss the driving feel of the Ford, vis a vis the Hector CVT and Carens DCT/AT?
I haven’t ever driven or even been driven in an Ecosport, but have experience of other Ford Cars. Having said that, I doubt that either will come close to the driving feel of a Ford Ecosport. If you had to choose between the two, based solely on driving feel, I would pick the Carens since it has better drivability, quicker throttle responses and is generally more nimble on its feet. The Hector though is a far better highway cruiser .

Quote:
2) My travel generally involves a 20 km daily drive to my office, which is 90% city. Is it worth it to go for a Diesel Carens AT, only asking from DPF issues POV. Or is it worth to go for a petrol DCT to avoid DPF hassles.
I have till date driven 22000kms+ on my Carens and not had any DPF issues or warnings not used AdBlue. I use my Carens for my regular office commute but do often use it for the occasional highway drive and will generally keep it on high revs to burn off any DPF.

Quote:
Yes to both and I connect using a USB - not wireless!

Quote:
4) I normally drive sedately between 80-100 kph. Which of the Hector CVT/Carens DCT/Carens D AT be a great drive on the highway?
This is easy, if FE is not a big concern for you, it is the Hector all the way and by a big margin and I cannot emphasise this enough.

Quote:
5) Whose low speed (city ride) and high speed ride (highway 80-100 kph) is better, Carens or Hector?
I feel that low speed ride is almost the same for both the Carens and the Hector. On the higher speeds, again the Hector is better, feels way more planted and solid at triple digit speeds, is more comfortable and gives confidence to drive. Though neither is a corner carver, I actually feel more confident throwing the Hector into a corner than the Carens. Though this could be down to individual preferences.

Last edited by PGNarain : 28th August 2023 at 08:25.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 21:10   #1423
BHPian

A quick question to all the Carens 1.5 Turbo DCT owners on the forum,

What is the average fuel economy and the highest fuel economy in the city and highway?

In case you have a 1.4 Turbo DCT, your response is encouraged, but I would like to know from the 1.5 Turbo owners.
Raghav07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 09:34   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Check if the caps behind the headlamp are there or the company has removed them to install the LEDs. If they're there, then check if they are tight. If they are absent or loose, moisture goes in the headlamp assembly, especially after a wash. I got aftermarket LEDs installed, they generate a lot of heat (Mine are Blaupunkt, but all brands do) hence I have removed the caps so that there can be better ventilation in the headlamp assembly. Since mine are off, I regularly see this moisture after the car is washed. This goes away spontaneously in a few hours.
idoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 13:56   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav07 View Post
What is the average fuel economy and the highest fuel economy in the city and highway?
City: 8-9 kmpl depending on conditions.
Highway: 15-16 kmpl.

Please note efficiency figures vary due to road conditions and driving styles.
carnutfrombanga is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks