Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2023, 10:11   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Carens Review

I have a Prestige Plus Diesel Manual. Has anyone upgraded the headlight bulbs?
I ordered the Osram Nightbreaker 200 H4, but on checking the manual now, I realized that the Carens bulbs are H19L.

What are my options?
Old 7th April 2023, 16:30   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post
To my utter shock the driver side door would not open hence I could not even step out to see the extent of damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
There is no visible damage anywhere close to the doors so I am wondering what could be the reason for the door getting jammed. Did something get in the way? Are you able to open the door from outside or the problem still persists. This is a bit surprising and worrisome. I would seriously advice you to raise this issue with Kia and get to understand why this happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
But not able to open the door is a concern for sure, to be checked with Kia (unless the damaged fender obstructing the door opening at the joint).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharthg View Post
It is just unfathomable that the door wouldn't open. The impact on the front side of the fender prompted it to block the opening of the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
The real concern is the door not opening.
Landed here from the Team-BHP’s facebook post. Sorry to see the Carens in this state. I hope it is back to its previous glory. I would like to add something regarding the much noticed door jamming in the car.

This could happen to any car regardless of the build quality if the front fender gets deformed after collision. Blaming it on the Carens’ build quality or Kia is a bit harsh to be honest.

My S-Cross got into an accident at around 40kmph where it hit the roadside guard rail at an angle that caused damage to multiple components (fender, bumper, headlight). The door got jammed as well because the fender got deformed. The angle at which this Carens must have hit is seemingly exactly the same. I can see that the panel gap between the fender and door is no longer uniform and the fender seems deformed enough to affect door opening. The speed of 10-15kmph is much lower though.
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 16:19   #1353

Respected Expert and Well-wisher,

It’s been my privilege to get inducted as member in Team-BHP.
And I am excited to share my automobile experience with fellow car enthusiastic and also to participate in a constructive manner in various forums and also get insights on automobile from other car enthusiastic as well.

That said,

We owe Kia Carens 1.4 Turbo Petrol manual as family vehicle to move around.
Carens won over the other options like Mahindra XUV700 and Hyundai Alcazar simply for the third row seating comfort, pricing, long uncertain waiting period for Mahindra XUV (about 12 months owing to chip shortage – as explained by their sales executive) and various other factors which went into consideration and deliberation during family decision.

To summaries the journey for selecting family car started with comparing option shortlisted by family members which included Mahindra XUV700, Hyundai Alcazar and Kia Carens. After much homework and brainstorming session within family we all opted for Carens as Mahindra XUV had waiting period of about 12 month in Mumbai Region owing to shortage in chip as explained by their sales executive.

Once finalised on Kia Carens, we got delivery (after waiting for nearly a one month from the date of placing an order) in last week of April 2022.
We were greatly enthused by the addition of the new automobile member in our family i.e. Kia Carens 1.4 Turbo manual, in addition to Ford Ikon 1.6.

We made several long trip with full occupancy and load to various part of Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan. Ride quality was smooth and speechless. There were however certain Issues observed (restricting to critical one, in my opinion):
1. outside temp indicator showing vague numbers (sometimes as high as 52 degree during monsoon),
2. left side door sometime doesn’t close properly or the sensor attached to the door thought so ,
3. rear right side tyre always showing 2-3 psi lower than all other three tyres despite of filing all tyre pressure as recommended ;
4. trembling glass noise from door’s windows when partially opened; etc.
are few to quote.

In search for a solution for the tethering issue faced with our new Carens, when TeamBHP came to rescue. It was TeamBHP Forum and Discussion which were of great help to enlighten me with facts and solution. It was then that I learned, it was a general problem associated with Kia Carens and is addressed by the Company during the second service by replacing the necessary part, such as outside Temperature gauge sensor and software updates.

With this I shall begin my journey with the like car enthusiastic.

Happy Driving
Carzy_Carz30 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 22:09   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Found this on the Alcazar thread and at least couple of people have reported the same juddering issue on their Diesel automatics.

Apparently it's due to faulty fuel injectors. Anyone here had similar issues with Carens?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...injectors.html (Hyundai Alcazar | Juddering due to faulty fuel injectors)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5493819 (Hyundai Alcazar Review)
So my car (Diesel Automatic) had an accident with a motorcycle and was in the shop for more than a week and I brought this up again to them to check the jerk/juddering issue. They were able to replicate it and said its likely due to DPF and said they will fix it. I also mentioned the Alcazar thread to them and asked to check the fuel injectors, but they are saying this is a DPF issue.

I got the car back and its still having the same issue occasionally.

Any suggestions?
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 23:05   #1355
BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions?
How were SC able to reproduce the issue?
Old 15th April 2023, 00:18   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
They were able to replicate it and said its likely due to DPF and said they will fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranHyd View Post
How were SC able to reproduce the issue?
Yes, I thought I mentioned it above. The service center said they were able to do fairly long testing and replicate the issue since the car was at the dealer for almost 10 days. However, the issue still persists so I'm going to open a service case again with them.

I'm surprised other Carens owners haven't raised this issue.
Old 15th April 2023, 05:25   #1357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I have a Prestige Plus Diesel Manual. Has anyone upgraded the headlight bulbs?
I ordered the Osram Nightbreaker 200 H4, but on checking the manual now, I realized that the Carens bulbs are H19L.

What are my options?
I have the same Prestige Plus Diesel manual and I’m using Blaupunkt V19 Pro HP 110W LEDs for the past 9 months (My car is 1 year old). After a thorough market research, these were the only branded ones with a H19 type of socket. Rest all brands were doing a jugaad with their H4 socket trying to somehow make it sit in our H19 socket. Had already wasted money on Osram H4 LEDs from Amazon before this upgrade, they did not fit well owing to H4 and there was an issue with high beam alignment.

Another issue that I experienced was yellowing of the DRLs, especially on the inner sides around 3 months after I bought the car. Got both headlights replaced under warranty for the same but the same issue has come again after 9 months of the replacement. Wondering if Luxury or Luxury Plus variant owners are facing the same issue since they have an integrated turn signal in their DRLs or it’s just us Prestige Plus owners who have just the DRL there? Have seen a couple of other Prestige Plus cars with the same yellowing here in Delhi/NCR region.
idoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 18:35   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoctor View Post
I have the same Prestige Plus Diesel manual and I’m using Blaupunkt V19 Pro HP 110W LEDs for the past 9 months (My car is 1 year old). After a thorough market research, these were the only branded ones with a H19 type of socket.
Thanks for the update
Kia are themselves now offering Kia branded H19 LEDs for about 7000 a pair.

But I'm vary of putting an LED in a halogen enclosure due the glare I'm afraid it will cause. How is the throw off the Blaupunkt LEDs? Is there a cutoff that will not blind oncoming vehicles? Can you share some pics against a dark wall?
Old 16th April 2023, 09:41   #1359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Thanks for the update
Kia are themselves now offering Kia branded H19 LEDs for about 7000 a pair.

But I'm vary of putting an LED in a halogen enclosure due the glare I'm afraid it will cause. How is the throw off the Blaupunkt LEDs? Is there a cutoff that will not blind oncoming vehicles? Can you share some pics against a dark wall?
Mine also costed around ₹6500. Throw is good and the brightness is much better than the OEM LEDs on Luxury Plus variant owing to 110W. Not sure if it has a cutoff but I’ve observed myself by sitting in someone else’s car that the light is not blinding on low beam. I do not have a parking where I have a wall to show the lights on.
idoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 11:17   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
I'm surprised other Carens owners haven't raised this issue.
I tried your suggestion but couldn't replicate it. I tried running at ~ 1400-1500RPM for longer distances on ORR Hyderabad. Didn't observe any shaking. Though I can feel a jerk when gears get changed.

This is why I was requesting more clarification on how to replicate.
Old 16th April 2023, 12:35   #1361

FIRST INSURANCE RENEWAL PREMIUM

Hello Expert and Well-wisher,

Need your guidance in this matter.

Its time for first renewal of my KIA Carens insurance. It’s been a YEAR…. And still it seems as though it was bought yesterday only.

With receipt of renewal proforma from car dealer, felt something unusual, so sat to analyse. The first premium was for Rs. 47,270 (inclusive for third party for three year and zero dep for first year) (included in above amount, Rs33,222 for zero dep for first year)(excluding GST) while renewal was for Rs. 23,216 (zero dep for second year renewal)(excluding GST). The breakup of which is as under:

Note: Certain add-on were removed by the insurance company but definitely not increased.
It is the Add-on premium and the value of NoClaim Bonus(NCB) which took my attention and made me a bit uncomfortable. Was expecting NCB to be around 6k. On enquiry with the dealer, they explain that it’s a normal as add-on are provided at concessional rate in the first year and NCB as in relation to Basic.
Well, am unable to digest such explanation. I feel that it’s a way to reduce the basic vehicle premium so that the amount of NCB gets reduced and one recoups the shortfall by increase in the Add-on premium. Is this the practice? What can be done about this? What has been experience so far by other members?

May, I have thoughts and guidance from other learned members on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-insurance-renew.jpg  

Old 18th April 2023, 01:25   #1362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImranHyd View Post
I tried your suggestion but couldn't replicate it. I tried running at ~ 1400-1500RPM for longer distances on ORR Hyderabad. Didn't observe any shaking. Though I can feel a jerk when gears get changed.

This is why I was requesting more clarification on how to replicate.
Sorry, I misread your question. Not sure how the service center was able to replicate the issue.

The most times it has occurred to me is while accelerating from a steady 1,500 -1,600 rpm range. In fact right after I finish accelerating say to 2,000-2,500 rpm and when I'm about to resume coasting in low rpm.

Its a very noticeable jerk/judder and everyone in the vehicle can feel it.

I would love to get more reports from Kia Diesel automatic owners here.

Saw this issue on the Seltos forum.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5497465 (Kia Seltos : Official Review)

Same on Alcazar as well.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...injectors.html (Hyundai Alcazar | Juddering due to faulty fuel injectors)
Old 18th April 2023, 16:59   #1363
BHPian

Has anyone taken delivery or has test driven the updated Kia Carens 1.5 Turbo petrol IMT? Please share your drive experience.
Old 21st April 2023, 16:22   #1364
BHPian

I am on the look out for a family car to upgrade from my current 2012 Polo Topline Diesel, which I ran for 1.3L km. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Bought it when I was single and now a family with two kids. Given my parents or in laws will visit us in Bangalore at least once or twice a year, wanted to get an MPV as the kids are growing (as of now, 7 and 5 yr only, but they will not be happy sitting in laps after sometime for sure). Even other wise, it's more practical with respect to space. The driving will be limited in the city, just for school pick up/ drop and weekend shopping. For sure, there will be long rides around Bangalore during the weekends. I initially thought of a 5 seater and shortlisted Hyryder hybrid. However, I was not happy with the boot space, while the vehicle looks so large from exterior, the inside space is not so great. So I thought for the same price of around 20L, let's check any MPV options. Short listed XL6 Alpha+ AT where the onroad is costing 18.23 L and the Carrens D 1.5 6 AT Luxury plus 7 costing 23.64 L. Not sure if the 5 lakh price difference is worth it, given the space inside, boot space and FE are more or less same. The drive on the highways could be better with Carens diesel, but is the XL6 that bad and should we have to increase the budget by 5 lakh to get this?
Old 21st April 2023, 18:06   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb4u View Post
Short listed XL6 Alpha+ AT where the onroad is costing 18.23 L and the Carrens D 1.5 6 AT Luxury plus 7 costing 23.64 L. Not sure if the 5 lakh price difference is worth it, given the space inside, boot space and FE are more or less same. The drive on the highways could be better with Carens diesel, but is the XL6 that bad and should we have to increase the budget by 5 lakh to get this?
XL6 is not that bad and it is difficult to justify the difference of 5 lakhs between XL6 & Carens. Where Carens scores over XL6 is the overall sense of space inside due to slightly bigger dimensions and dual-tone light colored interiors, the flat folding 2nd row seats (note that XL6 captain seats don't fold flat) that help in carrying stuff whenever required, the sunroof which is absent in XL6 and the bench seat in the 2nd row that allows to carry 5 people without anyone having to sit in the 3rd row. Plus the individual AC vents even in the 3rd row add to the comfort in Carens.
I would suggest you to check out both the cars and take test-drives back to back and you will have your answer.

Last edited by Knightrider : 21st April 2023 at 18:08.
Knightrider is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks