Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2023, 11:21   #1471

Re: Kia Carens Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Any walkaround video showing the x line or the new versions with 10.25 inch platform instrument cluster?
Could not find one for Carens, but I believe its the same cluster as Seltos, so maybe this video might give a fair idea on what to expect:

angy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 13:27   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
Yes. Thanks for the explanation. While it is not an issue per se, the sound has gotten a bit loud for my liking recently. If that is the way it is, I guess I have to live with it. This and the annoying click sound while pressing the horn.
For me it is a "Feature" as it reminds me to turn off the indicator, in case auto turn-off did not work

But the "horn" clicking sound is not only annoying, sometimes it only makes click sound without horn sound.
praveenkkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 05:04   #1473

Quote:
Any walkaround video showing the x line or the new versions with 10.25 inch platform instrument cluster?
I received delivery of my new Luxury Plus DCT Carens 4 days ago. It has the same updated instrument cluster as the X-Line.

I don't currently have the car as its gone for PPF installation and I'll be getting it two days later. I'll upload a video for you then. This is what it looks like though.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-20231102_150713.jpg  

AreebMKhan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 17:51   #1474

Saw the X-Line Carens in person when I went to the showroom today to collect the original documents for my Carens. Looked slick but I wish they had a 7 seater variant instead of just the 6 seater with captain seats. I still feel my imperial blue Carens looks equally as good.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Carens Review-20231103_165808.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-20231103_165806.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-20231103_165336.jpg  

Kia Carens Review-20231103_165254.jpg  

AreebMKhan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 19:27   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreebMKhan View Post
I received delivery of my new Luxury Plus DCT Carens 4 days ago. It has the same updated instrument cluster as the X-Line.
Thanks for sharing. Looks good! Congrats on your new car btw
Raghav07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 12:45   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreebMKhan View Post

I don't currently have the car as its gone for PPF installation and I'll be getting it two days later. I'll upload a video for you then. This is what it looks like though.
Thank you. Does it have the turn cameras in display, like Alcazar? Also, do let us know your view of the IR glasses. Carens gets meaningful updates in each refresh.
Old 4th November 2023, 13:20   #1477

Quote:
Thank you. Does it have the turn cameras in display, like Alcazar? Also, do let us know your view of the IR glasses. Carens gets meaningful updates in each refresh.
No it doesn't since the Carens doesn't have any cameras on the side unlike the Seltos or Alcazar. The UV cut glass seems to have made a noticeable difference for me. The cabin inside isn't getting heated quickly even when I'm running on low/no AC.

Here's a video I shot of the updated instrument cluster.
AreebMKhan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 19:26   #1478

Hi,

We are planning to buy Kia carens as our family car in Kerala. It's replacing the iconic Renault Duster as it has started showing some niggles. As this being a family car, space and ride comfort are paramount and preferably an automatic over the manual variants. We test drove the diesel automatic and planning to test drive the petrol AT in the coming days. After going through several posts on T-bhp on carens, I have a few queries I need your expert opinion on

1. Which automatic variant to pick, the diesel AT or the petrol AT? Carens being a 7 seater and our use is primarily in our hometown in Kerala (a mix of village roads, highways and hill stations). Are there any reliability concerns over the DCT gearbox?

2. Has Kia fixed all the earlier issues reported for Carens? I see so many issues discussed in this thread itself, such as the left rear door closing issue, multiple sensor issues (ambient temperature, rain sensing wiper, parking sensor), LED headlight inadequacy, AC condensation, discoloration of plastic claddings etc. While some of these are okay to live with, there are a few that raise serious concerns?

3. Does the diesel variant has frequent DPF warnings? Our daily drive doesn't consist bumper to bumper traffic. So should I worry about this at all?

4. We want to keep this car for the next 8-10 years or so. So how would the overall fit & finish feature in the long run?

5. Are there any performance concerns on full load? Especially while driving in hill stations.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th November 2023 at 09:51. Reason: Clean up edits. Caps where needed etc.
Old 6th November 2023, 13:25   #1479
BHPian

While I cannot answer all your questions, I will try to answer a few (mine is Prestige Plus which does not have some features like LED headlamps, rain sensing wipers, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambabu View Post
2. Has Kia fixed all the earlier issues reported for Carens? I see so many issues discussed in this thread itself, such as the left rear door closing issue, multiple sensor issues (ambient temperature, rain sensing wiper, parking sensor), LED headlight inadequacy, AC condensation, discoloration of plastic claddings etc. While some of these are okay to live with, there are a few that raise serious concerns?
Left rear door not closing properly: This is not exactly the left rear door, but the last door not closing on first go for me. I believe it has something to do with the cabin insulation and the only workaround is to roll down a window by a couple of inches and roll it up again. This way, the last door always closes properly and I do not have my family complaining about it Exerting a bit more force while closing it works too.

Ambient temperature: This was kind of taken care of by Kia last year, but it does rear its ugly head every now and then. I stopped worrying about it now. The ambient temperature used to be shown as 50-60 on hot days. It no longer shows such absurd temperatures, but when I stop in heavy traffic or if I stop next to the exhaust pipe of a heavy vehicle, it does show incorrect temperature temporarily. When the air is free flowing, I have no such issue. The location of the sensor is to blame I guess.

Parking sensor: I never had an issue. The only "issue" I have is that range of the front sensors is limited (not sure if this is by design). I usually notice an obstacle and stop even before the sensors start beeping.

AC condensation: Not sure about the current batches, but for me, it no longer appears these days. Kia tried applying some fixes to those who complained. I never complained to Kia about it. I usually keep one of the AC vent in the last row open, may be that is the reason why I hardly get to observe it.

Discoloration of plastic claddings: I did observe this with the other vehicles with black claddings as well, including my old Grand i10 which had cladding on the doors, not just Kia. I guess this is the price we pay for to get some protection all round. I apply a dashboard polish occasionally which seems to be working well for me (for now).

Quote:
3. Does the diesel variant has frequent DPF warnings? Our daily drive doesn't consist bumper to bumper traffic. So should I worry about this at all?
I never received a DPF warning (*touchwood*) in the 21K+ Km I have driven the vehicle. Since the current batch utilises AdBlue, DPF warnings should not be as frequent. If you get to drive regularly on the highway, you should not worry about DPF much.

Quote:
4. We want to keep this car for the next 8-10 years or so. So how would the overall fit & finish feature in the long run?
I too am thinking of retaining the vehicle for at least 10 years. So far, things are holding up fine. However, there are places where the paint quality is not so good like the door edges for example. I have noticed that the paint has chipped in a couple of places for no reason. I also have a 2-3 mm chip on the bonnet thanks to a small pebble hitting the bonnet.

Quote:
5. Are there any performance concerns on full load? Especially while driving in hill stations.
Mine is a Diesel manual. It did struggle on steep ramps a couple of times when the vehicle was new. I took it to a small hillock with 5-6 curves when the vehicle was new with 4 members onboard and I had to change to first gear a lot more than I wanted. After the engine has settled down, I notice no such issues. I've recently been to the same place and was able to pull comfortably in second and third gear without issues. The vehicle stalling on inclines in first gear is gone too. I have noticed that the engine really opened up post 12K Km mark. Don't ask me how, it is just an observation. I felt that the engine has become more responsive and overall mileage has improved post 12K Km.

Since I hardly drove the AT versions except when test driving the vehicle, I did not comment on those questions. Owners who own one should be able to answer those.
furyrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 19:18   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambabu View Post
Hi,

1. Which automatic variant to pick, the diesel AT or the petrol AT? Carens being a 7 seater and our use is primarily in our hometown in Kerala (a mix of village roads, highways and hill stations). Are there any reliability concerns over the DCT gearbox?
Our family has 2 DCT cars, a 2019 Venue with 22k and my uncles 2023 Carens with 3.2k( please check an earlier post regarding this)
Both have been running smoothly, so the DCT is pretty reliable.

Since you are in a hill station, there wont be many emission laws, so a Diesel AT could work for you.

Petrol DCT gives around 7-10 kmpl in city and 15-17 on highway if driven in Eco Mode and driven with a light foot. I am not sure about Diesel AT figures, could someone help here?

Hope this helps. Please quote if you have more queries
Raghav07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:54   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav07 View Post
Small error, It was supposed to be "Prestige Plus" has wireless. Sorry for the error.
Recently I've been with my friend to KIA showroom. He booked a Sonet and we observed the same too!

Lower variants has a different infotainment system when compared to the top variant. I believe top variant has no physical buttons and has a larger screen size. The one used in top variant doesn't have wireless Carplay/A-auto feature. Doesn't make sense to me
Old 8th November 2023, 11:25   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone noticed a clicking sound when turning the steering with the indicator on?

I raised this with my local Kia service centre and they say this is normal and is present in all Seltos/Carens variants. Their justification is that the sound is made by the notches present on the steering shaft which come into contact with the indicator switch when the indicator is turned on.
This was recently faced by a BHPian on his Verna also. While Kia's justification is valid, I'm not sure if all Kia cars or all Carens have this. You should probably visit few showrooms and check it on the new cars, not a TD car.

As for the Hyundai, the SA acknowledged that this is an issue and will probably fix it in a few days. Below posts are for your reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Nyx View Post
Hi,

There is a clicking sound in the steering when the indicator is ON and I turn the vehicle. Is anyone else noticing this? Is this normal?
This sound is not the ticking sound of Indicators though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
I haven't noticed any such sound in mine. All I hear is the ticking sound of the indicator.

Possible to share a video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Nyx View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the info
I went to the service center and the SA assigned another person to check the issue. He checked the issue and said that is normal sound with the steering. But I asked him to check in other Vehicles. There were some new Vernas waiting for PDI and he checked them quickly and there was no such sound in them luckily. Since that happened SA acknowledged that it is an issue and checked the steering by removing it from the vehicle and he did something to reduce the sound and informed that he will change the parts under warranty next week. Sound is reduced now but not eliminated though. I will post further updates once the parts are replaced.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ang-Oz1BeckrgvcAVJnc82rDU2f5iA
If Hyundai can do it, I wonder what's stopping Kia!
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 12:03   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
If Hyundai can do it, I wonder what's stopping Kia!
Thanks for the references to the Hyundai threads. Even I am not entirely convinced with their explanation since the car started making such noises 3-4K Kms ago. Since I was reluctant to close the issue, they brought their TD vehicle home to try to convince me. I never noticed such sounds in the 3 Hyundais we've owned till date. Even our 2019 Santro in which Hyundai cut costs left, right and centre has no such issues.

For now, I am stuck with the current ASC. I will visit my hometown next month. Maybe I will check with them as well. Thank you once again for the references. It is very helpful!
furyrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 16:19   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the references to the Hyundai threads. Even I am not entirely convinced with their explanation since the car started making such noises 3-4K Kms ago. Since I was reluctant to close the issue, they brought their TD vehicle home to try to convince me. I never noticed such sounds in the 3 Hyundais we've owned till date. Even our 2019 Santro in which Hyundai cut costs left, right and centre has no such issues.

For now, I am stuck with the current ASC. I will visit my hometown next month. Maybe I will check with them as well. Thank you once again for the references. It is very helpful!
Hi mate,

Do not check in a TD vehicle. Even my SA informed that it is normal for the steering to make that noise but when I insisted him to check other new Vernas which were there, he did it and confirmed that there is no such sound in other Vernas and also checked my vehicle and reduced the noise for now. But he said he will place parts request and replace them in a week or two. I will share the invoice / details about the parts being replaced once I get it done.
V_Nyx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 18:46   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr08 View Post
Recently I've been with my friend to KIA showroom. He booked a Sonet and we observed the same too!

Lower variants has a different infotainment system when compared to the top variant. I believe top variant has no physical buttons and has a larger screen size. The one used in top variant doesn't have wireless Carplay/A-auto feature. Doesn't make sense to me
On the Luxury and Luxury Plus, it indeed has a larger screen but has some shortcut buttons below it.

The Prestige and Prestige Plus has a smaller version, but has the same shortcut buttons below it.

And yes, the Luxury and Luxury Plus dont get wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto, but Prestige does .

Also what engine trim combination did your friend book for the Sonet? I am kinda curious

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks