Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2022, 12:56   #436
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Test drove the 1.0 AT Virtus yesterday afternoon. I wanted to TD the 1.0 MT but it wasn't available.

A few observations and my experience based on my current 2012 Tata Manza car.
  1. The cherry red looks awesome in real life, I also liked the blue.
  2. The AT works buttery smooth in both bumper to bumper traffic and open road.
  3. I would have preferred wider ORVMs, they were a bit smaller for my liking.
  4. The riding ergonomics are perfect, no other words.
  5. Quick acceleration to close those traffic gaps is delightful. I manually changed gears a few times, and it was smooth.
  6. The ICE is tilted a bit towards the driver, and that helps in creating good ergonomics for the driver.
  7. The boot opens and keeps hanging in the top position. I was hoping it would lock itself. You have to manually push it to the lock position.
  8. The fuel panel can be opened when the car is unlocked, just requires a small push to open it. There is no mechanism from inside the car to open it. I take it that one would have to be careful if the car is unlocked to ensure no one messes with the fuel filler.
  9. The Highline variant does not get a sunroof, and gets manual controls for the ACC. The Topline variant gets the sunroof and touch controls. I would have preferred manual controls as the touch controls requires the driver to take their eyes off the road.
  10. The music system is quite good, the car has a rich sounding 8 speakers including 2 tweeters. The equalizer was set to manual. The thumps on bass heavy songs that I played was good but not overbearing. The Slavia with it's subwoofer sounds much better. The difference was like the Sony bass heavy headphones versus Sennheiser headphones. I don't know how the Slavia system without the subwoofer sounds though.
The SA was enthusiastic in showing off the car and it's features. Their uniforms are smartly casual, and that created a relaxed atmosphere in the showroom. At least for me, it created a space for relaxed communication. For comparison, the Skoda showroom was more business-like. Nothing bad with either approaches, but I preferred the VW approach. I'm getting the 1.0 MT test drive tomorrow, so will update this post with pictures. I couldn't get pictures yesterday.

Please excuse my language, no offence to anyone. I feel that the Slavia is like a trophy girlfriend, there is a lot of attraction, some mystery (in a good way) since you don't know each other fully well, you want to spend as much time together as you can. You know someone will be jealous (how did he wind up with her?!). The Virtus on the other hand, feels like a girlfriend of several years. You know she has the grace and maturity, there's a certain warmth that only she can bring, and gives you space to be on your own while you know she will always have your back. You know someone will remark "they make a great couple".
isotope729 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 13:28   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Cool features that you can unlock with the VCDS
I assume this will void the warranty or does it not?
Old 6th July 2022, 15:07   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotope729 View Post
Test drove the 1.0 AT Virtus yesterday afternoon. I wanted to TD the 1.0 MT but it wasn't available.

A few observations and my experience based on my current 2012 Tata Manza car.
[list=1][*]The cherry red looks awesome in real life, I also liked the blue.[*]The AT works buttery smooth in both bumper to bumper traffic and open road.[*]I would have preferred wider ORVMs, they were a bit smaller for my liking.[*]The riding ergonomics are perfect, no other words.[*]Quick acceleration to close those traffic gaps is delightful. I manually changed gears a few times, and it was smooth.[*]The ICE is tilted a bit towards the driver, and that helps in creating good ergonomics for the driver.[*]The boot opens and keeps hanging in the top position. I was hoping it would lock itself. You have to manually push it to the lock position.[*]The fuel panel can be opened when the car is unlocked, just requires a small push to open it. There is no mechanism from inside the car to open it. I take it that one would have to be careful if the car is unlocked to ensure no one messes with the fuel filler.[*]The Highline variant does not get a sunroof, and gets manual controls for the ACC. The Topline variant gets the sunroof and touch controls. I would have preferred manual controls as the touch controls requires the driver to take their eyes off the road.[*]The music system is quite good, the car has a rich sounding 8 speakers including 2 tweeters. The equalizer was set to manual. The thumps on bass heavy songs that I played was good but not overbearing. The Slavia with it's subwoofer sounds much better. The difference was like the Sony bass heavy headphones versus Sennheiser headphones. I don't know how the Slavia system without the subwoofer sounds though.
Point number 7- I guess that problem is only there with test drive cars. My relative in Kerala got his Virtus recently, the boot opens and locks at the top position, no wobbling. Checked one out myself in the showroom too!
Point number 9- Highline gets both Manual and Automatic AC option, as per the choice of the customer.
TechnoBloop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 16:17   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
Point number 7- I guess that problem is only there with test drive cars. My relative in Kerala got his Virtus recently, the boot opens and locks at the top position, no wobbling. Checked one out myself in the showroom too!
So then does this mean that with usage the bonnet door will not latch onto to the top position in a few years time?
isotope729 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 16:50   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Mate, what you have described here is the process for download and use of VW Play apps (Sygic maps, Gaana etc.)

The “My VW Connect” application is different - it provides car running, service and other information and requires some kind of activation at dealer level, post which you have to download the app and login through your mobile device. Mine is not yet active and I am following up with dealer.
Aah my bad. Thanks for the correction.

That is strange though, My app did not require any such intervention. But yes, I was only able to login to VW connect and VW play after I registered on the link. Not sure if I did anything differently.

The app is fairly rudimentary and does not show a lot of information, as attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_2422.jpeg  

IceManMK1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 17:02   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotope729 View Post
So then does this mean that with usage the bonnet door will not latch onto to the top position in a few years time?
That's a good question !
No that won't be the case definitely. I don't know the particular reason why this problem is only specific to the test-drive cars (never seen an owned car facing this problem) but if the thing that you mentioned happens in real life, then I am pretty sure the owners won't leave the management of VW alive!
Old 6th July 2022, 21:56   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Point number 9- Highline gets both Manual and Automatic AC option, as per the choice of the customer.
I got the manual rotary knobs in the highline manual 1.0 tsi. So, before final payment the dealer asked me if I was okay with accepting the manual ac instead of the touch controls, I happily said yes. And for that I got a 15k discount on the overall price However, I'm confused as you mentioned automatic ac. Do you mean auto climate control or just manual ac but with a touch panel ?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-img_20220625_171851.jpg  

Last edited by raycers_honda : 6th July 2022 at 21:57. Reason: QUOTE error
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 22:46   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
I got the manual rotary knobs in the highline manual 1.0 tsi. So, before final payment the dealer asked me if I was okay with accepting the manual ac instead of the touch controls, I happily said yes. And for that I got a 15k discount on the overall price However, I'm confused as you mentioned automatic ac. Do you mean auto climate control or just manual ac but with a touch panel ?
Looks like Automatic Ac is removed. This is very very bad.
Auto AC is helpful because the AC would adjust the airflow on its own according to the temperature you set.
Also you can press Auto AC button for a predefined temperature,this is a great convenience factor to me.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 08:51   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
The touchscreen AC is fully automated, just as redcruiser mentioned. It's got auto climate control which adjusts the cabin temperature, fan speed according to the temperature you set, irrespective of the temperature outside. The climatronic AC offered by VW has also got an AirCare tech which doesn't allow pollen, dust particles and other foreign particles in the air to enter the cabin. I think AirCare system isn't there in the Manual AC. So if you ask me, I guess getting an Auto AC for 15k rupees is a good deal and I would opt for that.
But right now, due to the notorious problems with VW's AC , I guess people aren't using the Auto AC to it's full potential, they reduce the temperature of the AC ad increase the fan speed so that the cabin gets cooled as fast as it can.
Come on VW, solve these problems, people don't want to sit inside a hot car.
TechnoBloop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 10:52   #445
BHPian

Delivery of 101 Virtus on the same day

on 26th June, The Coimbatore dealer of Volkswagen delivered 101 Virtus Cars on the same day at a star hotel here.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus Review-whatsapp-image-20220706-6.42.18-pm.jpeg  

JShah is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 11:14   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShah View Post

Delivery of 101 Virtus on the same day

on 26th June, The Coimbatore dealer of Volkswagen delivered 101 Virtus Cars on the same day at a star hotel here.
Fun Facts:

Just counted, Out of these 101

- About 65 cars have a sunroof, Says a lot about the customers perfering the top variant.

- Approx numbers

43 - Candy White
21 - WildCherry Red
13 - Carbon Steel Grey
13 - Rising Blue Mettalic
5 - Curcuma Yellow
5 - Reflex Silver

Last edited by JShah : 7th July 2022 at 11:16.
JShah is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 18:12   #447
BHPian

I'm just curious but is Virtus a good buy for someone who is currently using a 2014 Audi A4?

The long warranty options and the price point and the 1.5 TSI is tempting.
Old 7th July 2022, 19:19   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart_mm View Post
I'm just curious but is Virtus a good buy for someone who is currently using a 2014 Audi A4?

The long warranty options and the price point and the 1.5 TSI is tempting.
Personally I don't think it is. I own a 2013 Vento TSI and I don't feel it would be a good upgrade for me itself. It is definitely a great package and a good buy, but in my view definitely not for an Audi Owner
Rajeevraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 20:36   #449
BHPian

I am facing a weird issue. My Virtus 1.0 AT is making screeching brake sounds when I drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Or when I reverse the car and drive it on half brake, it makes screeching sound. The A.S.S. claims that this is normal operational noise and won't cause an issue ever. But the sound is really irritating and feels bad to have this on a brand new car. Had anyone else faced this in their 1.0 AT? If yes, any solution to get rid of this "operational noise"?
shivathedude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 21:36   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivathedude View Post
I am facing a weird issue. My Virtus 1.0 AT is making screeching brake sounds when I drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Or when I reverse the car and drive it on half brake, it makes screeching sound. The A.S.S. claims that this is normal operational noise and won't cause an issue ever. But the sound is really irritating and feels bad to have this on a brand new car. Had anyone else faced this in their 1.0 AT? If yes, any solution to get rid of this "operational noise"?
Hey, Yes i've been facing the same issue in my 1.5. Initially i thought it was coming from the brake disc, as it rained that day and the brake would slip. I assumed the above was the problem until this day i heard it again when i was gradually slowing down while approaching a speed breaker.

Could it be because of the debris between the disc and the brake pad? will it cause the screeching sound? But i've never come across it during higherspeeds. But it has a function called brake disc wiping?
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks