Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2022, 21:13   #1096
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Good, honest review. I was almost ready to book it, but am inclined not to , for the following reasons:
1. The middle row is not sliding and hence..
2. Third row is literally unusable for seating, neither is..
3. The boot usable with all rows up and even tumbled, does not give a flat floor. So, you can't carry people, neither can you carry luggage.
4. The ride quality is suspect. Just marginally better than older Scorpio. I was expecting better , with the use of FSD and Penta link suspension.

It will definitely give people the feeling of "My ride is bigger and more powerful than yours".

Hope when I take a TD soon, i am proved wrong.

How I wish Tata relaunches the Hexa soon!!
Precisely MY THOUGHTS Mate. For all the reasons you listed and more,

Because , my current drive is a Tata HEXA XTA and it's doesn't move, it glides!! I think TATA mistakenly made a few 'Hovercrafts' and then tried to pass them off to Customers as SUVs!

And, since i am informed by Mahindra vide an email that i was amongst those First 25K proverbial 'Fastest Fingers First' (In this case Fastes Thumbs First as i was trying to book on a smartphone) who went for the Kill in the First 'Mad Minute', i have been offered an introductory price!!

And now, after reading this review and GTO's follow up in-depth exposition, i have reached one clear decision for sure - Irrespective of whether or not a Scorpio -N Z8 Diesel AT 4WD ultimately graces my garage, one thing is clear, my beloved HEXA is NOT going anywhere! She stays, and continues to fly my Pennant as my Chariot of Fire ...

"Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my CHARIOT of Fire!" ....
~ From Jerusalem by William Blake
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20220611232659_gallery.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20220611232750_gallery.jpg  

theZULU is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 21:28   #1097
BHPian

For me ScorpioN has few key omissions for an otherwise excellent product.

1. No sliding 2nd row ( absolute mess not to provide those at least in top 2 models).

2. Telescopic steering (Expected at this price point).

3. Auto dimming IRVM (God knows when this became a luxury feature, it is a safety feature).

4. Welcome feature in powered seat version (If powered seat is provided, this is a no-brainer).

I wish Mahindra had launched a Z8(O) model, with these features and remove sunroof in exchange to keep cost same as Z8.
Indepth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 22:01   #1098
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
Scorpio being a Body On Frame architecture a Battery electric variant of it is a absolute no-go.
Don't see any chance of it.
They experimented with a BOF-FWD-transverse mounted engine. So never say never. At some point in time, as diesels become difficult to sell due to regulation, they may be tempted to try something different.
Old 10th August 2022, 06:16   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
But the insane waiting periods will put off many of those looking for a new car.

The below article says 22 months, how many of us are ready to wait this long?

https://www.telegraphindia.com/busin...on/cid/1878849
Absolutely insane, no doubt about that. Such is the time we live in! I think those times would come down. A friend of mine was told 1 year for his XUV700 but ultimately got it delivered in about 7 months. Hoping that the situation improves. It is now getting tiring.
Old 10th August 2022, 08:58   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mophius View Post

I reached out to my preferred dealership for KYC and was told to share the booking details, and upon sharing the same, the SA told me that the dealership would get intimation only after 15th August and KYC would be done post the intimation.
This may be true as we have the option of changing the dealers also till 15th August.
Bala.V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 10:50   #1101
SDK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala.V View Post
This may be true as we have the option of changing the dealers also till 15th August.
Where is the option of changing the dealer for the online bookings? I can only change the variant but not the dealer.
Old 10th August 2022, 11:23   #1102
BHPian

Oh. Apologize. My bad. Thought we can change dealer also.
I cannot do my KYC as I am traveling and will be back only on 17th Aug
I seriously feel this may not be an issue.

Last edited by Bala.V : 10th August 2022 at 11:28. Reason: Added status
Old 10th August 2022, 14:13   #1103
BHPian

I have booked a Z8L 4×4 Auto but now having 2nd thoughts about Z8 vs Z8L.

Front parking sensors and camera I assume can be added at dealership for less than Rs 10,000?

Powered driver seats is not a must have, especially if there is no memory function, which I realized in my current car.

So is the speaker and wireless charger really worth the 1L+ premium? Or did I miss any other feature?
Sidban85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 14:49   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post

Front parking sensors and camera I assume can be added at dealership for less than Rs 10,000?

Powered driver seats is not a must have, especially if there is no memory function, which I realized in my current car.

So is the speaker and wireless charger really worth the 1L+ premium? Or did I miss any other feature?
Aye you missed out one feauture - Driver Drowsiness Detection System.

Also, please don't get misled into assuming that the speakers are made by Sony. They are not! Read the fine print carefully, it says Audio/Sound by Sony (implying thereby that Sony has probably tuned the system. I saw a you tube review by an XUV 700 Ax7 L owner who had taken out all the so called stock Sony speakers and replaced them with good quality speakers. He showed the original speakers in the video and how inferior they were!

So yes, Z8 definitely makes more sense viz-a-viz Z8 L
theZULU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 14:54   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post

What you get in Z8L over Z8 is:
  • power driver seat
  • 12 speakers with dual channel sub
  • front camera
  • driver drowsiness detection
  • front parking sensors
  • wireless charger (only in 4WD AT)
  • captain seats option (only 2WD)

IMO, these features do not warrant a premium of INR 2,00,000 over the Z8. But then, the Z8s and Z8Ls are the money minting models for Mahindra. They also want to make a few bucks early in the sales period by mentioning that they have prioritised the manufacturing of Z8Ls (not Z8s).

I have a Z8L 4X4 Auto in my cart too and have been thinking about it. The only good thing is that the booking is within first 25000 and is price protected. In Gujarat, and at my dealer's, the different in on road price is about 2.3L between Z8 and Z8L (4X4 Auto).
Old 10th August 2022, 15:12   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
What you get in Z8L over Z8 is:[list]

IMO, these features do not warrant a premium of INR 2,00,000 over the Z8. But then, the Z8s and Z8Ls are the money minting models for Mahindra. They also want to make a few bucks early in the sales period by mentioning that they have prioritised the manufacturing of Z8Ls (not Z8s).

I have a Z8L 4X4 Auto in my cart too and have been thinking about it. The only good thing is that the booking is within first 25000 and is price protected. In Gujarat, and at my dealer's, the different in on road price is about 2.3L between Z8 and Z8L (4X4 Auto).
I am also one of the lucky allottees of the 'Introductory Price' allotted and payment made on 02 Aug (was amongst the first few to attempt within first few seconds past 1100 on 30 July couldn't book due to glitch). I have booked a Z8 and NOT Z8L for precisely the reasons discussed in earlier posts.

Quite frankly i would be quite happy if delivery of my vehicle is delayed to sometime around April 2023 as long as i get the price protection of Introductory Price. Once i have booked Z8 not Z8L

If you have some clarity on how these deliveries are planned, please do share!

Thanks & Regards
Old 10th August 2022, 15:13   #1107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Completely agree - the front camera is of very poor quality and the driver seat is not something you adjust every day, especially for those of us who drive our own cars and don't use chauffeurs. The Sony sound system is good, but not great, based on all the reviews. An audiophile would not be happy with the system and would want to enhance it further. In my view, Z8 is the better bet, saves lot of money and also may get delivered a few months down the line, given Z8Ls customers will get first dibs at delivery. Any critical flaws or safety issues will get resolved in that time period, so you are likely to get a safer and slightly more proven product, while still being fresh on the roads. Case in point is when the Thar was launched, there was an issue with the exterior bonnet locks (they were not strong enough) and some unfortunate first customers had the suffer the shocking and dangerous experience of the bonnet coming loose at high speeds and hitting the windshield. M&M fixed it promptly by replacing the locks with stronger ones, but this is an issue that never came up in their road tests as it happened only when the interior lock was not fully engaged. Similarly, the Kushaq had EPC issues that dogged it for 3-4 months after launch but these went away once Skoda put in the fix with better fuel pumps. So best of both worlds is to have a slightly delayed delivery, yet with full price protection.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 15:14   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
  • power driver seat
  • front camera
  • front parking sensors

While it is right that the price difference is 2L in Z8 and Z8L, i think the possibility of adding front camera is not there as read on this forum few pages behind. There could also be a possibility of voiding the warranty owing to tampering of the wiring. How the front camera can integrate with the existing system is also not known. Apart from the 2L difference, there is Stepney difference as well i guess apart from the above list. That difference is specifically for 4x4 variant i think where the Stepney tire is a full size one on steel wheel. Though this is a minor one, but still a point.
Old 10th August 2022, 15:27   #1109
SDK
BHPian

Quote:
  • power driver seat
  • front camera
  • front parking sensors
The MID in Z8L also gives a distance readout of the nearest object detected by the front parking sensors. I saw it when I was at a traffic signal waiting for the lights to turn green.
SDK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 15:28   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
In my view, Z8 is the better bet, saves lot of money and also may get delivered a few months down the line, given Z8Ls customers will get first dibs at delivery. Any critical flaws or safety issues will get resolved in that time period, so you are likely to get a safer and slightly more proven product, while still being fresh on the roads.
Is it possible to delay the delivery and retain the offer of Introductory Price.? If yes, how long? Theoretically, how does one ensure that they are part of say.... 15000 - 25000nth vehicle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks