Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2023, 11:57   #286

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Seeking advise regarding purchase.

Hi everyone,
Am new to the forum and seek guidance regarding a car purchase decision!
The car is for my mom and dad who are both doctors in delhi with a daily commute of around 15-20kms and occasional trips to cities like Jaipur, Ludhiana ie around 300-400 kms drives once every few months.

Background:
1. We have a Grandi10 2014 at home which we use as a local daily ride
2. For more family or long duration rides we had purchased an old skoda superb 2014 AT DSG which had driven around 40k and after getting a clearance from a skoda authorised dealership inspection.
This was our first used car purchase as we thought that used car market has matured a little in india.
However the experience though wonderful has been ridden with massive uncertainties. The car has stopped once, some red light keeps popping up in dashboard like epc or something else. Overall we havent felt dependable though we have done 1-2 600 kms trips comfortably.
We had bought it for 6.5L and have spent north of 1.5L on it changing suspensions, break pads, tyres and battery.
The car is being quote for by spinny now for 4L.

To find a solid dependable car which can be used in city and can be taken to long distance we again were on the lookout and had narrowed down on city and verna.
VAG twins were kept away due to the above experience.
On test rides somehow the verna felt more at home due to being more modern and almost similar to drive.

Now my queries:
1. Although we dont mind spending on turbo dct AT but due to risks of reliability we are preferring the NA. Is that a fair call as reliability is super important for us?
2. Which variant between sx and sxo automatic as is it worth the upgrade as i am not sure how much ADAS would be useful in indian conditions.
3. My parents being 61 found the sitting position a lil low and I was wondering if it is worth changing alloys/tires to a slightly bigger ones to help raise the height of the car ?
4. Was wondering what shud Verna replace? We could either sell I10 and keep superb for a local drive in the city as its much more enjoyable todrive and any risks of stalling can be managed across delhi fairly easily.
This is because we have spent money on it recently and could utilise the paid cost. The only overhang is DSG failure whose repair can cost 40k-1L.
Or we could sell the skoda to decrease uncetainities in life and use grand i10 locally while have verna for more versatile needs?
Or something else?

PS: This isnt exactly a purely verna post but rather a car buying advise with Verna as the fav choice.
If there is some other thread where this post might be useful am happy to post it there as well.
Thanks.
tarunds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 12:57   #287
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunds View Post
If reliability is what you are looking for, the best option in the sedan segment would be the Honda City CVT, If not then the Hyundai Verna, the 1.5 DCT is a fun engine with loads of power and torque, however the 1.5 N.A CVT is quite dull and not as engaging. However, if the DCT is worrying you, the CVT is always a good second option, In my opinion, you could go for the DCT and get Hyundai's 7-Year extended warranty, in that way you wouldn't have to worry much either without compromising on power and performance aspect.

ADAS, Ventilated Seats, Leather Upolstery, 10-inch touchscreen, Connected Car technology and 8 speaker system seem to be the major differences between SX and SX(O) in CVT variants and if you feel the same are worth the extra 2.25 lakhs, then you can go for the SX(O)

As regards tyre upsizing, I am definitely not a fan of the same, In my opinion, if your parents find the seating low, the better option would be to consider an SUV instead.

The Superb is an excellent car barring the niggles you have faced, so I would definitely keep the Superb, and replace the i10 but in that case, you would be left with two sedans, which isn't the ideal garage, so in my opinon, a Compact SUV like the Creta or the upcoming Seltos would be the better option for a more complete garage. If you are replacing the Superb and prefer to use the i10 as a compact city runabout then the Verna could be a possible candidate but it wouldn't be as premium as a Superb.

To conclude, In my opinionn you would be better off with a compact SUV to replace the i10 and complement the same with the Superb (considering the fact that you have spent money on it).
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 16:21   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunds View Post
1. Verna SX IVT would be a good option including for occasional drives outside Delhi. SX has all the required features barring ADAS. Honda City CVT is an equally great car, and you all may consider a test drive.
2. Sedans have low seating, is a given. Given the age of parents, may do a test drive of CSUVs such as Creta, Seltos or VAG twins for a comparison of seating position and comfort.
3. As Delhi NCR has a 15 year limit for petrol cars, you may consider disposing off the older of i10 or Superb or both (unless two cars are really required) !

Hope this helps.
Old 18th June 2023, 22:19   #289
BHPian

Need advice from experienced members here:

Got an update from SA that "your car is in pending order." (Not sure what it means).
I will soon get the chassis no. and delivery date.
Now, am definitely going to do a PDI and make payment only after that. Coming to my queries:

1. I have been asked to make half the payment immediately. Is that normal or shall I be firm on any payment to be done only after a satisfactory PDI?

2. Even if I make part payment before PDI, and for whatsoever reason have to decline car during PDI, what will happen to the payment that's been made already?

3. How do I ensure that chassis no. belongs to the model that i want (just want to be double sure looking at recent incident from @ubermensch)?

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 18th June 2023 at 22:42. Reason: Added 3rd point
Old 18th June 2023, 22:52   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post

Got an update from SA that "your car is in pending order." (Not sure what it means).
Now, am definitely going to do a PDI and make payment only after that. Coming to my queries:

1. I have been asked to make half the payment immediately. Is that normal or shall I be firm on any payment to be done only after a satisfactory PDI?

2. Even if I make part payment before PDI, and for whatsoever reason have to decline car during PDI, what will happen to the payment that's been made already?

3. How do I ensure that chassis no. belongs to the model that i want (just want to be double sure looking at recent incident from @ubermensch)?
You have paid the booking amount. That’s it, now nothing doing. Balance payment is to be made once you have seen the car in person and are satisfied with your PDI. Be clear and firm about this. Verna is no HyCross or XUV700 where demand is insane and unscrupulous dealers are running riot. There is still a semblance of normalcy in Hyundai dealerships.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 10:36   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post

After initial booking amount, no amount to be paid until PDI is done. Not 50% or even additional 10%. It is recommended that you make final payments after your inspection of the vehicle

In my case, I had a few questions and observations from my PDI at stockyard.
Dealership assured me that there were no issues with the vehicle since they have completed a comprehensive 64 point check upon arrival from HMIL.

They also assured to get it checked at their service centre once it travels from stockyard to showroom. Here is the real kicker - Since I completed the bank formalities, dealership has asked me to pay reminder amount only after I'm fully satisfied with vehicle checks at showroom.

We are confirming and paying reminder amount on Tuesday (20 June) and vehicle will be registered and ready for delivery by Friday or Saturday (Provided RTO systems don't breakdown)

I hope this helps. Dealer is Trident Hyundai Bangalore.
It does feel like they are going out on a limb because I asked questions that even service guy was confused about. So they are taking a chance by getting vehicle to showroom for checks first.

My PDI observations are here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5566747 (2023 Hyundai Aura Facelift : A Close Look)

This is my observation during my Hyundai booking
  1. After initial booking, all orders are collated vehicle-wise with variant and colour confirmation to HMIL.
  2. HMIL allocates and informs dealerships of vehicle delivery at certain intervals during a month. ( usually once at the beginning of the month and once between week 3 and 4. )
  3. Dealerships get a list of vehicles that are dispatched to them. It includes details of variants and what colour each car is - It is upto the dealership to play mix and match on which customer gets which S No and who gets the car first if there is more than one booking for select variant+colour combo.
    This is where dealerships are able to pull a car planned for someone and give it to someone else who has paid upfront or are willing to take a different colour since stock is already there.
  4. The final payment (and loan formalities) are required only just before registration as it requires a full invoice.
shrinandiyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 20:03   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Upgraded tyres and wheels

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20230619_185346.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20230619_185158.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20230619_185111.jpg

2023 Hyundai Verna Review-20230619_185121.jpg

Lenso Conquista wrapped in 225 45 R17 Yokohama Bluearth GT

Initial observations: Good improvement in steering feel, handling, quick lane changes, and braking. Ride is stiffer now, it was too comfortable on stock setup

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 19th June 2023 at 20:05.
Dr.Naren is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 20:51   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

Initial observations: Good improvement in steering feel, handling, quick lane changes, and braking. Ride is stiffer now, it was too comfortable on stock setup
Nice ride. Really improves the aesthetic appeal of the vehicle. But will this affect the suspension or anything else given that the rest of the car is still tuned to the original factory setup?
Grand Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 21:09   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Tourer View Post
Nice ride. Really improves the aesthetic appeal of the vehicle. But will this affect the suspension or anything else given that the rest of the car is still tuned to the original factory setup?
I do not think it will be an issue. Hyundai / KIA cars with same platform and powertrain have the same spec tyres in 17 inch.

I would be swapping the suspension to N line version once it is launched
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 11:19   #295

Quote:
I had booked Verna 1.5 turbo SX MT 2 weeks back. The car has arrived from factory.

This is how i saw it for the first time. Love the color: Starry night.

Attachment 2463482

Attachment 2463484

Attachment 2463485

Stay tued
Congratulations!!! I have been following you even before I had an acocunt of Teambhp. So glad we share the same car as your pointers and views have been spot on!
v.bhomawat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 23:02   #296
BHPian

We went to Modi Hyundai to book Creta and saw the new Verna. Looks great IRL. I can't understand how & why it looks weird in pics. It's a great-looking car with loads of space and features. It beats Creta in every way, except it's a sedan.

My wife & daughter were completely sold on buying Verna instead of Creta for half an hour! When they are the ones who took me there for Creta. I was more inclined towards Elevate or Kushaq, or Seltos.

Although I have noticed that all of Hyundai's new designs always take some days/weeks to grow on you, even the current creta looked very weird, like too futuristic, in the beginning, even some art & fashion are like that...

Last edited by navin : 24th June 2023 at 18:19. Reason: grammar and formatting
Old 23rd June 2023, 18:53   #297
BHPian

Everyone who owns the new Verna:
Were you offered ceramic coating as an add-on from the dealer? Did you go for it?

Is it advisable to get it done from the dealer? If not, any good leads in New Delhi for ceramic coating?

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th June 2023, 10:26   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh wow. That really does look cool

Quick question, how do you figure out the air pressure for the tyres when you upsize?
Old 24th June 2023, 17:20   #299
BHPian

Verna owners, how do you find the GC of the car? For those especially in Bangalore, is the car able to manage the crazy speed breakers and potholes with 4 people and luggage?
Old 24th June 2023, 18:20   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Verna owners, how do you find the GC of the car? For those especially in Bangalore, is the car able to manage the crazy speed breakers and potholes with 4 people and luggage?
I find it pretty decent, haven't scraped once on bangalore roads yet.
On non bangalore roads, managed to scrape it once on a huge speed breaker, but due to my mistake as the speed was high, almost 28-30kmph and i was distracted. We were 4 without luggage.
Took it to chinaga betta trek, the road was non existent, and it managed to climb all the way till end without any major problem, slightly touched the side due to a big rock (again 4 folks no luggage)

Took it to a coffee estate, no road, all uphill, no problem, 4 ppl with luggage

The only place that scares me is my apartment's parking ramp, it is so steep and has abrupt endings, have to be careful and ensure that the load is even otherwise it scrapes.

A question to other folks, have you gone for anti rust coating on the under body, was it via Hyundai or from 3rd party ?
Hyundai service center was quoting me around 3000 and 3M quoted 5000, would appreciate inputs here. My car is already 2 months old.

Last edited by BudgetFailure : 24th June 2023 at 18:22. Reason: Question
BudgetFailure is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks