Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2023, 12:09   #331
BHPian

Re: Maruti Fronx Review

Finally got the chance to revisit the Nexa showroom and get a TD of Fronx. I went there wanting to try Delta+ AGS and Alpha AT.
To my surprise, they still don't have a turbo car for test drive available. When I enquired when will it be available, the sales executive simply said, "There's no demand for boosterjet. It will only waste space here. We had a manual earlier, we even returned that. All the demand is for 1.2 NA models."
When I asked why would I buy Fronx Delta+ over a Baleno Alpha, he in fact agreed with me and said Baleno is better value and basically the same car. He also pointed that Suzuki made a mistake with Fronx Turbo pricing and he will rather recommend Grand Vitara / Brezza over it as they will give you the robust SUV feel.
When I asked by when I would get to try Fronx 1.0 Auto, he simply said we can't guarantee as there's no demand and so they might not request that car.

While we all sense that Fronx turbo is a flop, even the employees seem unimpressed. This is the 2nd time I went to check Fronx 1.0 AT, and both times the service executives took every chance to direct me towards Baleno / GV.

In still entertaining the thought of Fronx Delta+ over Baleno Alpha simply because of the little extra GC. But lack of rear AC, front armrest, 6 airbags, UV cut glass and bigger infotainment system seem like big misses.

I also test drove Sonet D AT. Loved the engine and gearbox, but found the ride to be stiff and rear space is very tight. Seating 3 at rear is a total no-no. So I might just rule it out.
RohanPitre is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 19:23   #332
BHPian

Had a totally different experience with Nexa-Ahmedabad. I was planning to make a general inquiry but after a short while the sales executive was at my place with the top trim auto variant. I was keen on a turbo manual variant but apparently they have an AT for test drive. I agreed because there was no other way to try out the vehicle.

My impressions are more or less same as vvs29 posted in the previous page.
Since I am not used to ATs, can't provide a proper comparison with similar vehicles. My impressions are based on the usage of my Ignis and Vento, both petrol.

The Fronx has been put together rather well and looks good too. But, to be frank, nobody was even looking at the vehicle, which is strange since newly launched vehicles are usually head-turners. I am not after looks; a better performing vehicle would be my choice. The improvement in build quality can be felt while opening the door itself. Seating and ergonomics are typical Maruti-ish.

Visibility is also good. Was expecting some initial lag but it pulled well with minimum acceleration. Further pick-up is also impressive, which the SE kept on saying would be better in the manual turbo variant.

From lower speeds, one need not floor the accelerator to reach 90-100kmph quickly. Didn't have the chance to push further but I guess there was much more juice left in the engine. Suspension is a bit softer and glides over most obstacles. The average fuel economy of the TD car was 8.5 kmph and that on my Ignis is 19. Will go for one more TD for a longer distance shortly. From the response of the SE, it was clear that the turbo variant is available without much waiting period. And, I guess it could get some discounts too in the near future. Hope they don't discontinue the turbo variant.
sreepathy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 21:49   #333
Team-BHP Support

We are looking at Fronx as a replacement of our aging AT hatch. The needs are simple.
  1. A small car which can be parked in a tight basement parking slot
  2. An AT for sure. No DCT and no AMT. (Our aging hatch is a Figo DCT)

Just by the above two needs; nothing comes up but for Fronx 1L and Kiger 1L AT versions. And its no-brainer on what to chose.

As regards to people booking AMT vs Turbo AT based on price I think its more based on needs and aspirations

1L AT would be more targeted by metro folks. And at the same time for the same price they can also fish for other products in the market. So its an open secret on where Fronx 1L AT lands.

As for me: I got to drive it and it felt nice. Sure I could feel the 1L vibration unlike the 1.5NA Jurassic Ford or the 1.2 K Series Maruti. In spite of that for a city its great. The biggest part is it gets you the AT gear-box confidence. I would rather have simple AT than a DCT in bumper-to-bumper city traffic. Of course the car is damn easy to drive as reported by many. The steering weighs up nice. The 360 degree camera surely helps. I did not get the chance to push it on an open road though. But in short distance it builds up the pace well. Also the suspension seems good. I took it over potholes and it held up well. Not too soft and not too tight. The seating also seems apt. I could find a good position and the support was perfect. I guess however a well built/hefty person may struggle though (just my thought).

Coming to price I firmly believe in what Rush mentioned on the Jimny pricing. If one likes a car and if one thinks logically he/she would be able to hold it for 8-10 years; one should just buy it and not worry on the last mile variations in price. Yes there would be better bargaining products at price and feature. But then, how would they matter if one does not like the product to begin with?

No one would have preferred a Figo DCT years back. But the way the car drives still brings me smiles even after so many years! How do you put a price to that smile?

Last edited by ampere : 13th June 2023 at 04:58.
ampere is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 13:19   #334
Senior - BHPian

Maruti says that the Boosterjet variants comprise just 13% of the Fronx's total sales.

Quote:
Buyers are finding the Fronx turbo variants expensive

Greater demand for non-turbo variants due to affordability

Mid-spec Delta Plus trim is the most in demand
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 14th June 2023 at 13:21.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 13:56   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Maruti says that the Boosterjet variants comprise just 13% of the Fronx's total sales.
Source
A change from the usual manufacturer press releases which say they are surprised at the higher bookings/sales of the top variants or the automatic variants.

But, pretty suspect coming from Maruti. Though since they have localised it a fair bit, not expecting them to pull the engine off the market citing lack of sales. Still, this looks like some kind of run up to either offering the turbo petrol in bigger cars only or to allocate more for the export markets.

Otherwise why would they (kinda) admit that they messed up with the pricing?
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 16:13   #336
BHPian

I took a twenty kilometre TD of the 1.2 Delta Plus AMT including a traffic jam, normal city traffic, a short but terrible unpaved stretch and a hill section with my favourite hairpins. With four people in the car, AC on in 40 degree heat, and some enthusiastic revving in the hill section, the car showed a fuel average of 13.2 kmpl, but I have the impression from a Youtube video that at least the turbo variant’s MID is too optimistic so the actual figure may be lower.

Coming from my Punto, which would’ve managed about 9-10 kmpl in these conditions, I was well impressed with how the car drove - engine performance was easily adequate for overtakes and mildly sporty driving, AC worked well, ride was supple on good, bad and terrible stretches, body control was good in the corners, steering had adequate weight and return-to-centre action and did not have a dead feeling around the centre position, etc. A special mention for the front seats, which were lovely.

This was my first time driving an AMT and I preferred driving it in manual mode, which was a bit slow to upshift when I was driving hard. But I can see the advantages in traffic and if you don’t like the head nod (I didn’t, it felt like momentary vertigo) you can drive it in manual mode where there is no head nod. Your left foot will still be perfectly happy.

Now for the cons: the dash line is quite high on the Baleno/Fronx and with the non-height-adjustable seat in this variant, I felt like I was driving a hatch. This was a good thing on the hilly stretch and a bad thing in traffic. I know it’s very different on the Alpha (I briefly drove an Alpha AT as well) if you raise the seat height, but even there the passenger seat cannot be raised, and the roof height is low so for a six footer it may not be feasible to raise the driver’s seat height to the max. Also, the second row seats are of course quite low - in sharp contrast to the S-Cross where the second row felt quite high up, almost like any other CSUV. Suzuki should offer height adjustable front row seats on the Delta variants if they want to convince people on test drives that this car as an SUV. Coming lastly to door heft, there’s no point comparing a Japanese car to a European one, but it felt adequate for what it is. I could also mention that the lack of a centre armrest for the second row, even on the top variant, is disappointing considering how wonderfully spacious the second row is.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy this car for style reasons. The interiors are much too busy and the burgundy upholstery isn’t my colour. The exterior is also overdone with bulging headlamp surrounds and overly thick wheel arch cladding. For me, Suzuki is at its best with the Swift, Ignis and Jimny - small cars that are styled well inside and out, with character in spades. It’s a pity that this versatile car, which can seat five in comfort, attack corners and conquer rough roads, and which has even been blessed with that wonderful sounding turbo, doesn’t have the Suzuki magic it could have had.

Last edited by Vikram9193 : 14th June 2023 at 16:16.
Vikram9193 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 17:41   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
No one would have preferred a Figo DCT years back. But the way the car drives still brings me smiles even after so many years! How do you put a price to that smile?
I never knew that Figo came with DCT (I knew that the DCT came on Fiesta and later on EcoSport). 1.5L NA (4 cylinder?) and DCT must be such a joy to drive. Is Fronx going to replace it?
Old 14th June 2023, 17:44   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I never knew that Figo came with DCT (I knew that the DCT came on Fiesta and later on EcoSport). 1.5L NA (4 cylinder?) and DCT must be such a joy to drive. Is Fronx going to replace it?
Oh yes its a joy to drive !

Engine and mechanicals wise, Fronx does not even come close. But we dont have options. Another long shot is a Taigun/Kushaq 1L AT. Higher in price but similar footprint.

Last edited by ampere : 19th June 2023 at 09:03.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 21:10   #339
BHPian

The 1.2 NA Fronx uses the same puny AC compressor as on the Baleno.

How is the AC performance in hot conditions? Weak as it's sibling?

https://www.marutisuzuki.com/genuine...ly/95200m55t00
Old 21st June 2023, 10:40   #340
BHPian

Has anyone been able to confirm what all can we get installed from Maruti Suzuki on the Fronx Delta+ variant? The showroom in my city confirmed we can install reverse camera, but said no to front armrest and bigger infotainment.
I can understand the infotainment part, but I feel armrest can be done. I am more confused since Arena confirmed they can install armrest on Brezza VXi.

The only reason I'm considering Fronx is because I need better ground clearance and relatively higher seating position, as my mom finds egress difficult in low sitting cars. I considered Brezza and like it too, but my city (Nashik) has no test drive vehicle for AT and they say we can't make it available either. Also, the waiting is 6 months. Is Exter worth waiting for?

Also, anyone has experience of after-market fittings? YouTube is filled with Fronx Sigma transformation videos, changing literally everything. I'm just interested in adding armrest & rear AC vents if possible, and at least installing glossy casing for that infotainment. I don't know why Maruti has provided that cheap looking gray plastic around the screen. Cab car feeling with that plastic. Should have at least kept it glossy.

I will try to take a test drive this weekend. The showroom only has Sigma variant since a month and it's just unacceptable. I have requested them to arrange for a Delta+. Still they say it won't be AGS as they have manual only for Fronx. Alpha and Zeta they simply deny making available any time soon. "You can try them at Mumbai dealerships" was the response. Same from Arena for Brezza AT.
I don't understand how companies don't send AT test drive vehicles when consumers are increasingly moving towards AT. Huge gap between demand & supply.
Old 22nd June 2023, 22:16   #341
BANNED

I got a Fronx Delta Plus AMT last month. I've driven it around 2500 km in a month and first service is done.

Maruti Fronx Review-whatsapp-image-20230601-07.16.22-2.jpg

Maruti Fronx Review-photo-220623-6-49-47-pm.jpg

Maruti Fronx Review-photo-220623-6-49-55-pm.jpg

Maruti Fronx Review-photo-220623-6-50-01-pm.jpg

Maruti Fronx Review-photo-220623-6-50-07-pm.jpg

Maruti Fronx Review-photo-220623-6-50-18-pm.jpg

Here are my thoughts after a month of driving.

1. Most missed features in this variant are the reverse camera and the start-stop button. The start-stop button should have been given as it is not something we can get aftermarket. I will never buy a car without a start/stop button and keyless entry again. It is very inconvenient to find the key in the pocket every time. Also, driver seat height adjustment should have been provided.

2. I've installed the Blaupunkt Car Reverse Camera BC DH 4.3 aftermarket (as Maruti only offers bumper-installed cameras as accessories.) Installation is quite time-consuming as it requires wiring in the boot door. The view is good but moving guidelines are useless.

3. Connected taillight is a single unit. Can it be replaced with the one from the higher variant if Maruti provides the OEM part?

4. A/C is good. We have driven it several times in the afternoon with temperatures greater than 40 degrees. I kept the A/C at 25 degrees with fan speed at 3-4, and it took around 2 minutes to cool the cabin. The rear passengers didn't complain about cooling. I may drop the plan to install rear ac vents. A simple USB fan will work if required.

5. Road noise is too prominent. Maybe because of the tyres (??). I may install damping sheets with speakers, as OEM speakers are not good.

6. Rear seat belt warning is annoying. Have to buy seat belt buckles.

7. The car looks good; it is probably the best looking in Maruti right now. (subjective)

8. Headlights are good. No complaints while driving at night. But according to the user manual, lamps can not be changed separately. We must change the whole unit if any of the three lamps are not working.

Overall, I feel it is not a VFM car. Those who want an SUV should go for Brezza or Kiger/Magnite. The Baleno Zeta/Alpha are a better VFM car if you don't want an SUV. Maruti should give the Zeta with a 1.2 L engine instead of introducing this variant.

Last edited by navin : 25th June 2023 at 14:21. Reason: Grammar
Anxiousblock is offline   (38) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd June 2023, 20:02   #342
BHPian

I test drove a Fronx today, along with Brezza (a day before), Ignis, Baleno and Nexon.

Here are my observations:

- Steering works well. It almost feels natural, when compared to Nexon (test drove it right after). Even in a straight line, on slight deviations, it centres back almost immediately. While turning it, I can feel the steering fight back a little (I guess that means it weighs up with the self-centering force?) U-turns don't need any manual effort to centre it back.

- Suspension is very good. Feels extremely mature. I feel I can drive it on patchy highways without having to slow down a lot. Driving over potholes did not feel uncomfortable. There were also no unusual sounds inside the car.

- Car felt very very well built. It is as good as Brezza, much better than Baleno, didn't feel much different than Venue and Grand i10. Nexon was probably just a little bit better.

- In manual mode, one can drive the car with just brake pedal and paddle shifters up to second gear, without giving any acceleration. When trying to slow down using engine braking, gearbox does not change gears on its own till it reaches around 1k RPM, and then doesn't go below 2nd gear. I needed this for mountain drives.

- The turn indicator stalks felt better than Brezza. They also have the lane change feature (tap for 3 blinks on either side) which Brezza doesn't.

- The dashboard is cleaner and better than Brezza.

- Rear seat is a bit upright. Headrests need to be kept all the way up and cannot be removed without putting the seat forward. My mother (5 ft 2" in height) found the headrest to be not as comfortable in any height and wanted to remove it.

- Rear seat base is very less. We drive a 2011 i10, and even my mother, who is short in height, and not as much into cars as I am, noticed it immediately.

- The rear view mirror and the big screen make the front view look very very cluttered. It is almost as if the divide the view into two halves. Venue's screen size and placement is much less intrusive; almost perfect IMO.

BALENO in comparison:
(I test drove it to see how much AGS as improved, since the price difference in respective Fronx variants in huge!)

- AGS is almost as smooth as TC. My mother did not notice any shifts. Manual is smoother, if one lifts and shifts. I think it is quite livable, and just for smoothness alone, TC gearbox shouldn't command a such high premium.
- Car feels noticeable lighter (doors and overall driving) compared to Fronx.

Venue and Grand i10 NIOS: In terms of basic ambience and features, they are both far ahead of the Marutis. Grand i10 immediately felt better to sit inside than the Fronx. Venue had just the right amount of space, but the quality and comfort, especially in the rear seat, thanks to the utterly butterly perfect headrests, seat incline, and superb thigh support relative to the Marutis, was amazing (I am 5ft9).

I felt no inclination to pay 15 lakhs OTR for the Fronx, compared to the Venue iMT which will do all the required work for me at a much lower price and with miles more special feeling.

The only reason I am considering it is because I like to make trips to remote areas and cover the lesser known roads even when there is an expressway, and Maruti's support network is just way better. I also intend to keep the car for at least 12 years and prefer their ASS experience.

When we spoke about discounts with the sales advisor at Nexa, they immediately slashed the accessories amount to zero, but didn't give any discount further. Waiting period for Delta + AGS is 4-6 months, whereas Turbo AT models are available within a month or maximum two. Brezza's waiting period is even longer; 6 to 8 months, that too for the AT models! It is clear that Maruti has misjudged, and now I feel that even if I should consider the Fronx, I should wait for the discounts, as well as some updates like armrests, and maybe even a Zeta and Alpha variant in 1.2NA Fronx.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd June 2023 at 23:01. Reason: Typos
SlowDough is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 10:01   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiousblock View Post
I've purchased Fronx Delta plus AMT last month. First service done. I've driven it around 2500 km in a month
Congratulations Professor, and do enjoy the car to the fullest.

Quote:
AC is good. We have drove it for many days in afternoon with greater than 40 degrees temp.
In most new cars, the AC works adequately. In my view, we must not get addicted to too much air-conditioning. Instead, use the AC to remove just that little discomfort. It will help keep the AC healthy to work better over long time, plus keep ourselves robust too.

Quote:
Road noise is too much. Maybe because of tyres(??)
Most Marutis have this issue - I suggest a change of tyres to something better and even after that, if noise is still not down to acceptable levels, go for damping.

Quote:
Car is good looking. Probable best looking in Maruti right now, Headlights are good
Agree with you on the looks part. I saw one in the same shade as yours in the Akota area last week and it did look impressive.

Quote:
- will never buy car without start/stop button and keyless entry again. It is very inconvenient to find key in pocket every time.
- driver seat height adjust should be there.
We've all these years got used to the conventional "twist key - start car" system. Start Stop system might be a nice feature, but can cause issues when one least expects it due to some issue with the button and its other components. In my view, you should be okay with the present key set up. On driver seat height adjust, I've had this in all my cars since 2010 and have always had to keep it at almost the max height. Unless you are a tall person, this feature ( or the lack of it) shouldn't matter. If you're short, just raise the height by using a thin cushion. That's all!

Quote:
Rear seat belt warning is annoying. Have to buy seat belt buckles
Rear seat belts are a safety feature, highlighted recently in a road accident involving an ex Head of a major Indian conglomerate. I earnestly request you to urge your passengers to belt up, even in the rear seat. Bypasses to silence alarms - please don't!

Last edited by vigsom : 25th June 2023 at 10:05.
vigsom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 10:09   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Rear seat belts are a safety feature, highlighted recently in a road accident involving an ex Head of a major Indian conglomerate. I earnestly request you to urge your passengers to belt up, even in the rear seat. Bypasses to silence alarms - please don't!
I guess the OP is pointing to the cost cutting done by MS. The rear seat belt alarm will come ON, even if no one is sitting on the rear seat. Hence, OP suggested to buy the seat belt buckles. I believe MS hasn't provided a weight sensor for rear occupants, and hence the belts need to be buckled in irrespective of the rear occupants being seated to avoid the irritating alarm.

Quoting from MS Tbhp review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Next, all the seatbelts have to be buckled in while the car is being driven, even if there is no other person in it other than the driver. If not done, the seatbelt alarm keeps sounding. No, this was not a niggle with our test car. The system has been designed that way and it's incredibly stupid. What if you want to fold the rear seatbacks down to carry more luggage than the boot can hold?
07CR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 10:13   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiousblock View Post
Headlights are good. No complains in night driving. But according to user manual lamps can not be changed separately. We have to change whole unit if any one of three lamp is not working.

Three lamps, I can not even imagine if some accessories shops get LED types in the near future. Though I like the size and looks, this can be a major problem for others if upgraded high-intensity ones start coming to market.

Name:  Screenshot 20230625 at 10.06.038239AM.png
Views: 2447
Size:  353.7 KB

Quote:
Overall, I feel it is not VFM car. Those who want SUV should go for Brezza or kiger/magnite.
It looks cute; think of the additional premium you paid only for the looks. Though, given the fact that it's Maruti, it will get popular, and you will see a lot of these. Nevertheless, enjoy the exclusivity until you can

Quote:
Rear seat belt warning is annoying. Have to buy seat belt buckles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Rear seat belts are a safety feature, highlighted recently in a road accident involving an ex Head of a major Indian conglomerate.
Am sure OP was trying to point towards the warning tunes, even if no one is sitting in the rear. It's a flawed implementation, and they need to correct this ASAP.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks