Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2023, 18:29   #316
BHPian

Re: Maruti Fronx Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Damn, car prices are through the roof.
Can’t believe I picked up my S-Cross Zeta AT for 13.3L on road price in October 2019.
Talk about coincidences.

That's the exact amount I paid after all discounts and in the exact month for S cross Zeta MANUAL and have the exact feeling about car prices during my hunt for a proper Auto Box Car in 2023.

They are through the Roof and all cars are overpriced by a lakh or 2.

Let's just not talk about Korean twins and European twins car pricing!!!

Drive Safe.

Last edited by matchvan : 2nd June 2023 at 18:30.
Old 3rd June 2023, 00:29   #317
BHPian

Hi folks. We went for a 80+km test drive of Fronx Alpha AT today and thought I'll share my expectations and impressions here.

To give a bit of context about us, we have a 2012 A Star VXI AT (bought at 37k in late 2016) and a 2014 Honda City SV CVT (bought at 33k in 2018 by exchanging a 2014 Amaze S MT which had covered 35k kms). Both having completed 70k kms, both had tyres and suspension replaced in the last 1 year. Both are ASS maintained. I'm 6' 4" 110kgs and my wife is 5' 3", 70 kgs. Our driving is mostly in the city with 4-5 highway trips a year.

I had bought the A star as a cheap automatic for my wife to learn driving in. The plan was to keep it till she learns and then replace with something better in a couple years. However, I instead upgraded my Amaze to a City , for better seating comfort, power and auto gearbox so she can also drive it. So was looking for an upgrade in the sub 4m space as my wife feels that more her size, even though she has taken the City to all the same places as her A Star without any issues. And I must admit, every bit matters during parking in busy areas (cough T Nagar cough). While the 1.2L class of engines will have enough grunt for the city, I am also looking for a car that can do highway duties, which for me means:
1. 100-120 acceleration should be at least a good as the Honda city
2. handling should be decent, minimal body roll during curves at 80-85 kmph and quick lane changes
3. suspension should be balanced enough for good low and high speed ride quality.

The idea behind a good handling highway car, is that this will allow us to replace the City with a 7 seater MPV in the future which can be used to travel together in with extended family members (I'm not going to drive zestily with that crowd for my own good :P, and neither will the car allow me to). In addition to the above, there are the general requirements in a car, in order of importance:

4. reliable
5. decent service experience and parts availability
6. stable body shell in crash test
7. low NVH
8. TC or CVT. Maybe iMT/DCT if everything else fits, but thankfully, the ones that do give them fail in the above 3 aspects, saving me the confusion.
9. big enough to seat 4/5 people with me at a comfortable spot in the front (A star cannot seat anybody behind me when I'm driving)
10. good mileage
11. no sunroof (eats into my headroom and the non panoramic ones don't really improve the experience for me)
12. creature comforts but not really interested in gimmicks

Tata Altroz DCA is slow and not that much of an upgrade in performance from the A Star. iTurbo does not come with an auto box. Rest of Tata's lineup is AMTs and worse ones than MS (they are deal breaker slow for me, even in manual mode). Even if I wait for Nexon DCA, the refinement and service are still question marks. XUV 300 is AMT as well, and from what I've read online, only a fraction faster than Tata and not in the same league as MS or Hyundai.

None of Hyundai's lineup has a stable body shell. Even if I ignore that for the turbo petrols with DCT, they cost 14+ on road and I would prefer MS lineup instead at that price.

Honda has only the Amaze. A used Amaze diesel or Jazz were considered as well. I backed out of the Diesel due to low NVH, the discontinued engine and because the copy I found had some battery issues. The petrols didn't have adjustable headrests at the back (something that the A star has, WTH Honda!!), no rear AC vents, the 100-120 acceleration isn't much to look forward to and noise insulation isn't great either. But it is very VFM at 11.5L onroad for a new Amaze top end and 8L for a 2019/2020 35k odd run used copy.

Kiger has a good powertrain, but service is a question mark. The NVH seems to be low based on multiple reviews.

Kushaq pulled at my heartstrings because that is the one car that fit me the best in the driver's seat (though not perfectly). It's turning radius is 5.2, same as brezza and isn't too much wider or longer than it either. However, the bad reports in reliability and service even for the TC variants along with a much bigger price sticker ruled it out.

The ones in MS which satisfied safety were Baleno, Fronx and Brezza. Almost all the requirements are met by the Baleno, except a quick 100-120 and the type of auto gearbox. I have driven an AMT Swift during a road trip in Kerala. While I can accept the jerks, the reliability concerns and the momentary failure of the gearbox during that trip where it refused to change from N to D without restarting the car is preventing me to go for it. That incident created an aversion in me to AMTs, because this happened when we had reversed out of a restaurant parking and into the road, and the car refused to go to drive causing a small pile up of traffic. I don't want this to happen when my wife is driving without me.

The brezza has a sunroof in the higher variants and I thought the Fronx would have better roll on acceleration due to the turbo and the slightly higher torque. So had requested for a long test drive for the Fronx which I just completed today.

After a long winded context setting, here are my impressions of driving the Fronx:
1. The suspension is better at handling bolt on speed breakers and potholes than even the City which causes a bit of a jerk, while this was more cushioned. At moderate speeds, while the potholes are held, they are barely felt by the body. However, on concrete roads at 80-100kmph, it felt as if the car is shaking. Not something I felt in the City. The stupid and steep mini ramps which connect the plain road with a bridge also did not send sharp jerks.

2. The TC is fast. Well maybe not as fast as the DCTs, but it was faster than the City and A Star. The shifts in manual mode are even faster.

3. The throttle response is balanced. If I'm gentle, it keeps things smooth. If I press down harder, it drops even two gears quickly and surges ahead. I didn't even have to go full throttle.

4. While the engine is audible outside the car (I can barely hear the City at a distance and I could clearly hear the Fronx), inside the car, the engine noise does not filter in much. Engine and road noise was also well contained even at 120. I'm wondering if changing the tyres to XM4s or UC6s will not show significant difference or if the cabin will be even more silent. My wife didn't even realize she went to 120, when she generally stops at 100-110 in the City. I think this has to do with the better mid range. Even when I was driving, the RPM barely went above 4k and never above 5k even when I was demanding power. In the City, I easily go above 4k consistently.

5. Body roll was very well contained and handling was also good for me. The car felt planted at turns at 80kmph and quick lane changes at highway speeds. I felt, this was at par or maybe even slightly better than the City. Stability in the start of continuous beep zone was okay but it did not inspire confidence to go further, while the City has no problems going to silly speeds in a straight line. Doesn't matter much for us since we barely go into that zone.

6. Indicated FE at the end was 12.8 kmpl. For some reason the mild hybrid system was not working. The Auto start stop was on, but it kept saying it's unavailable. The battery didn't charge during braking or slowing down either and was at 2 bars throughout the drive.

I have requested a test drive of the Amaze, to see if the extra 3.5L are worth it. It seems to be for now, but will drive it before making up my mind.

Also, the only thing I care about in Alpha variant are the UV cut glasses and maybe the 360 deg camera and a bigger ICE unit.
I read in the XL6 thread that the UV cut glasses do work and are not a gimmick. 360 camera should make things easier for the wife. And a bigger screen should help with quickly identifying icons in the cluttered UI. However, not sure if paying an additional 1.1L for them is worth it. If UV cut glasses were no there, I would even be thinking about this variant.
vvs29 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 10:13   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvs29 View Post
XUV 300 is AMT as well, and from what I've read online, only a fraction faster than Tata and not in the same league as MS or Hyundai.
Excellent write-up! I don't think there are lot of posts about the boosterjet AT anywhere, so this helps solve some mystery around it.
I am surprised by your above point about XUV 300. I'm not sure if you're talking about Petrol or Diesel, but I believe both engines have class leading performance. I have driven diesel & that car is a pure joy. In my opinion, no other car in that segment has a better engine + dynamics combination.

Where Mahindra loses it for me is in reliability. In general, they are not known for their service reliability and I will think 10 times before buying an AMT car from such a company. I trust only MS and perhaps Hyundai for AMTs.

On a side note, how much difference does it feel in real world between a 1.2 Baleno and a 1.0 Fronx? I'm assuming it's not a lot in city, but must be noticeable on highways.
RohanPitre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:21   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanPitre View Post
I believe both engines have class leading performance.
On a side note, how much difference does it feel in real world between a 1.2 Baleno and a 1.0 Fronx? I'm assuming it's not a lot in city, but must be noticeable on highways.
I meant the AMT is slow in the XUV300.

I haven't driven the Baleno, but I have driven the Swift and the 1st gen Amaze Petrol. Both of them were comfortable upto 100. Past that they lost steam. They would be loud and FE would also drop significantly at that point.
vvs29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 15:26   #320
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Why is it that the 1 litre turbo engine is only offered with the Fronx Manual Transmission variant?
Is it that somehow those who opt for AT have been rendered ineligible to enjoy the power of the Turbo engine, by the All Powerful Mandarins at Maruti Suzuki India?
Old 3rd June 2023, 16:01   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why is it that the 1 litre turbo engine is only offered with the Fronx Manual Transmission variant?
Is it that somehow those who opt for AT have been rendered ineligible to enjoy the power of the Turbo engine, by the All Powerful Mandarins at Maruti Suzuki India?
Erm... The 1.0 turbo petrol has the 6 speed torque convertor as an automatic option. This is one aspect that is the Fronx's USP for now.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 16:05   #322
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Erm... The 1.0 turbo petrol has the 6 speed torque convertor as an automatic option. This is one aspect that is the Fronx's USP for now.
I went to the showroom today. And that mutt of a sales exec told me this which is why I asked.
Apologies. Should never trust these showroom chaps to have the correct info.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 12:05   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I went to the showroom today. And that mutt of a sales exec told me this which is why I asked.
Tell me.

My dad and I gave up explaining to the sales exec that the Celerio has 3 cylinders. Had the Celerio, Alto, WagonR 1.2 and Ignis bonnets open and close by. Showed him the spark plug caps of the Celerio and even then he was adamant, "No sir. The Celerio has four cylinders."
DicKy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 13:53   #324
BANNED

Quote:
Delta Plus turbo does not have an Automatic option. Only from Zeta, AT is available, maybe the sales guy did no know this, which is pathetic TBH.
Old 5th June 2023, 13:48   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Fronx gets more bookings for its non-turbo version as the 1.0L turbo is deemed too pricey.

Before price reveal:

Quote:
When we started taking bookings for the Fronx, 55% was for the turbo version
After price reveal:

Quote:
After we announced the prices, we saw that the trend changed, with 15% bookings for the turbo version and 85% for the non-turbo version
he Fronx witnessed domestic wholesale dispatches of 8,784 units in April. It performed even better in May at close to 10,000 units.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 15:16   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Fronx gets more bookings for its non-turbo version as the 1.0L turbo is deemed too pricey.
Looks like reality is a total reversal compared to a poll going on this site where the majority seemed to be voting for the turbo version.

Last edited by SedateGuy : 5th June 2023 at 15:19.
SedateGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 21:30   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Before price reveal:

After price reveal:

[/url]
That is correct. It will sell in good numbers particularly the 1.2 NA as its somewhat value for money. I guess, It will grab numbers from Punch, Baleno 120 etc. The only issue is the absurd pricing of the turbo variants for both MT and AT. I considered it for the upgrade from Tiago till the price was revealed but I think I need to wait till the Nexon facelift is launched.

Last edited by khanmaj : 6th June 2023 at 21:33.
Old 7th June 2023, 06:30   #328
BHPian

Test drove, Fronx 1.2l ags. First impression is that there is perceptible improvement in seating position, compared to Baleno. Ags is well tuned, compared to it's limitations. Kickdown is well calibrated. I am not sure if LED headlight are really required, probably projector headlamps maybe good enough. In general , looks like Fronx is built better than Baleno. As usual, nexa guys put all additional stuff into financial pricing and jacked up on road pricing. I hope some manufacturer shows by example and puts end to enthical practice of hard selling to customer.
navrddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 14:27   #329
BHPian

Saw multiple Fronx on road, and I must admit it looks really short to be called a SUV. While the styling is smart to give it that stance, the height is really low. I checked the numbers of other cars to put it in perspective, and while Fronx is 1550mm tall, here are heights of some other cars for reference:
1. Ford Freestyle - 1570 mm
2. Fiat Avventura - 1542 mm
3. Tata Punch - 1615 mm
4. Citroen C3 - 1604 mm
5. WagonR - 1675 mm
6. Ritz - 1620 mm
7. Swift - 1530 mm

So it's more comparable to the cross which were introduced earlier but flopped. Even compared to the micro SUVs, it's shorter. It's only the styling which makes it look somewhat like a CSUV. I can understand why people will rather buy GV than Fronx turbo models.
Old 10th June 2023, 08:08   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti's Fronx is among the top 15 bestselling cars in May sales/ dispatches.

Maruti Fronx Review-screenshot-20230610-080710.png

Source: Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks