Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:59   #5356
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Dear Friends,
I test drove Punto 90HP today. The car is great to drive, great handling and very planted on the road.
The other cars I have driven are Omni (my daily ride), test drove Ritz. Must say, cannot even compare Punto to any of these two, and very foolish to even say that.
I plan to book Punto Sports over the weekend. Apart for standards, I was promised a car cover and neck rest pads. I need help here. I would like a reverse sensor, please suggest what would be a good bargain?

Last edited by GrayBerry : 3rd October 2012 at 23:00.
Old 4th October 2012, 02:19   #5357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
I plan to book Punto Sports over the weekend. Apart for standards, I was promised a car cover and neck rest pads. I need help here. I would like a reverse sensor, please suggest what would be a good bargain?
Congrats GrayBerry on deciding Punto Sports. It is the powerful hatch and best VFM Diesel hatch currently available in India.

Why don't you think about the Absolute Edition pack? For an additional cost of Rs. 14k or something you will be getting the GPS navagator, reverse parking sensors, mudflaps and so on.
Old 4th October 2012, 11:49   #5358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Congrats GrayBerry on deciding Punto Sports. It is the powerful hatch and best VFM Diesel hatch currently available in India.

Why don't you think about the Absolute Edition pack? For an additional cost of Rs. 14k or something you will be getting the GPS navagator, reverse parking sensors, mudflaps and so on.
Hi Ramesh,
Yes, I am going for Absolute Edition Pack. Never knew it had reverse parking sensors!!
How long have you been driving a Punto? and how is your experience?
I plan to change the tyres to michelin, heard they perform very well. your thoughts?
Old 4th October 2012, 12:47   #5359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Ramesh,
Yes, I am going for Absolute Edition Pack. Never knew it had reverse parking sensors!!
I plan to change the tyres to michelin, heard they perform very well. your thoughts?
As far as I know, Absolute edition for Punto does not have reverse parking sensors. You have to get this outside of the absolute pack of accessories, either by negotiation or by purchasing it yourself.

Even I am planning on Michelins after purchase, lets see if we can get some discounts for 2 cars going together. Be warned that Michelins are on the softer side, so it may not be suited for very rough roads / highways where there are sudden dips and potholes. I will be using it predominantly for the city, so I will go ahead with Michelins and take the risk for the added comfort and zero tyre noise. For the Punto, you have only the 195/60R15 PrimacyLC to choose from in the Michelin range, if you want to retain the stock alloy size. If you want more ruggedness in the tyre switch than Michelins, you can try Yokos or Bridgestones.

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th October 2012 at 12:53.
Old 4th October 2012, 14:29   #5360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Ramesh,
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
As far as I know, Absolute edition for Punto does not have reverse parking sensors. You have to get this outside of the absolute pack of accessories, either by negotiation or by purchasing it yourself.

KarthikK, Absolute Edition does have reverse parking sensors.

Attached below is the screenshot from the press release
Name:  123.bmp
Views: 3397
Size:  820.7 KB
Courtesy: http://fiat-india.com/newsdetails.aspx?nid=84

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 4th October 2012 at 14:31.
Old 4th October 2012, 14:32   #5361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
KarthikK, Absolute Edition does have reverse parking sensors.

Attached below is the screenshot form the press release
Attachment 995470
Courtesy: http://fiat-india.com/newsdetails.aspx?nid=84
hemanth, the sensors are only for the Linea. For the Punto, the absolute edition does not have sensors. Its just the GPS + Door sils + black foot mats + mud flaps. I remember this because I was pestering the dealer to give me Linea's absolute pack for the Punto

In the link you gave me, check the pdf file. Page 2 of the pdf has details on what one can get in the Punto and Linea with the absolute pack .

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th October 2012 at 14:36.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 14:48   #5362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the link you gave me, check the pdf file. Page 2 of the pdf has details on what one can get in the Punto and Linea with the absolute pack .

Thanks for pointing that out...I stopped reading as soon as I thought I found the answer
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 19:24   #5363
BHPian

Quote:

Even I am planning on Michelins after purchase, lets see if we can get some discounts for 2 cars going together. Be warned that Michelins are on the softer side, so it may not be suited for very rough roads / highways where there are sudden dips and potholes. I will be using it predominantly for the city, so I will go ahead with Michelins and take the risk for the added comfort and zero tyre noise. For the Punto, you have only the 195/60R15 PrimacyLC to choose from in the Michelin range, if you want to retain the stock alloy size. If you want more ruggedness in the tyre switch than Michelins, you can try Yokos or Bridgestones.
Hi Karthik,
Even i have opted for Michelins i don't think soft sidewalls will create any issue but if you push the tyres hard in corner, due to its soft nature it produces some body roll, ow excellent tyres, check out the pirelli p7 as well but have not found any reviews on it, also the bridgestone turanza are good. Which one you are using on your Jet ?
parimal_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 19:53   #5364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ramesh,
I drive Linea MJD and it still run with stock tyres (Apollo Acelere). Mechelins are very good. I would recommend that following which you may consider for the upgrade.
Michelin PLC
Yoko C-Drive
MRF ZLO

Quote:
hemanth, the sensors are only for the Linea. For the Punto, the absolute edition does not have sensors. Its just the GPS + Door sils + black foot mats + mud flaps.
Thanks for the clarification Karthik. That helps. But, can't we get the Absolute Pack of Linea for Punto by paying something additional? Did you check on that?
Old 4th October 2012, 19:56   #5365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Hi Karthik,
Even i have opted for Michelins i don't think soft sidewalls will create any issue but if you push the tyres hard in corner, due to its soft nature it produces some body roll, ow excellent tyres, check out the pirelli p7 as well but have not found any reviews on it, also the bridgestone turanza are good. Which one you are using on your Jet ?
I guess he has retained the Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 for the time being? The same tyres are on my car too.

A bit of road noise is there, but seems quite good. By the way, the 16 inchers are quite expensive, like atleast 50% jump from the 15 inchers in terms of cost.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:45   #5366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Hi Karthik,
I still have Goodyear Eagles on the Jet . I use the T-Jet mainly for highway drives, so I did not want to go for very delicate tyres since I encounter pretty bad roads during weekend trips to remote areas.

nkrishnap is right when he mentioned the difference in pricing of the PrimacyLCs between adjacent sizes. PrimacyLC 195/60R15 costs around 5900 per tyre, and 205/55R16 in the same range costs ~9500 per tyre! At that rate, I'll have to start auctioning my belongings to be able to afford 5 tyres for the Jet .

I can afford to play around with the Punto's tyres, since it will mostly be used in the city. I'll check out Pirelli P7 as well, thanks a lot! Are you using Michelin Primacy LC or xm2+ or something else? some reviews on it with punto will help me.

Quote:
can't we get the Absolute Pack of Linea for Punto by paying something additional? Did you check on that?
Good idea, that should be possible Ramesh, but I haven't negotiated with the showroom. My problem is different. I have a MMI S650 GPS device which was bought with the T-Jet. After the Punto arrives, I will still be the predominant user of both cars (dad rarely drives and distance is usually restricted to closeby places). Although I can get another GPS device by paying 14k (v/s 24k) in the absolute edition scheme, what will I do with 2 GPS devices is the question *lol*. I can only use 1 at a time, so didn't think it wise to throw 14k down the drain just for a flashier, later version of the same thing. I can just upgrade the maps version in my current device for the time being and instead use that money for RaceDynamics DieselTronic, eh? *winks*
Old 5th October 2012, 14:11   #5367
BHPian

Quote:
id:.

I can afford to play around with the Punto's tyres, since it will mostly be used in the city. I'll check out Pirelli P7 as well, thanks a lot! Are you using Michelin Primacy LC or xm2+ or something else? some reviews on it with punto will help me.
The one on Linea T jet are still better than the Good Years which comes with Punto, i have replaced the stock Good year with Micheline Primacy LC.
1> Awesome when it come to road noise, too silent.
2> Wet Grip is ok. Still think XM1 + are better for wet Grip.
3> Minimum Rolling resistance.
4> my car did 8k and wear looks good, say it will last for 40k.
5> Too soft for inspired driving. Tends to bounce when u push them hard, but then these are comfort tyres.
6> Tyres are ok on bad roads, just need to be extra careful, but not bad at all. And i am living in Dombivli, near Mumbai, i can give you guarantee that you will not find more worse roads than here.
But then whatever tyres you have if your city has those stupid paver blocks everywhere noise will be there inside cabin.
Old 8th October 2012, 12:50   #5368
Senior - BHPian

For those thinking about upgrading the tires on your Punto, I would say have a look at Yokohama C-drives. I changed my tires the very next day of delivery and I would say they're amazing.
Excellent grip on wet or dry roads, very low road nice. And moreover it costs considerably lower than Michelin PLC, atleast in Bombay.

Regards
Old 8th October 2012, 14:12   #5369
Team-BHP Support

Following parts from absolute edition are now available to existing owners as accessories.

News source-
http://www.****************/fiat-ind...tml#post131582

The starred part is team fiat forum.

S No Part Number Description Model MRP (INR)
1 59117349 REAR SPOILER Grande Punto 4109
2 59117350 REAR SPOILER Linea 4109
3 59117351 ROOF RAIL Grande Punto 4624
4 59117397 MUD FLAP-MOULDED CUP TYPE-LINEA Linea 899
5 59117398 MUD FLAP-MOULDED CUP TYPE-PUNTO Grande Punto 899
6 59117413 CHROME STRIP BOOT LID LINEA Linea 199
7 59117407 CARPET MAT BEIGE LINEA Linea 917
8 59117414 GPS NAVIGATION UNIT –CAR PAD 5 Linea/Grande Punto 19990
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 16:47   #5370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Following parts from absolute edition are now available to existing owners as accessories.

S No Part Number Description Model MRP (INR)
1 59117349 REAR SPOILER Grande Punto 4109
2 59117350 REAR SPOILER Linea 4109
3 59117351 ROOF RAIL Grande Punto 4624
4 59117397 MUD FLAP-MOULDED CUP TYPE-LINEA Linea 899
5 59117398 MUD FLAP-MOULDED CUP TYPE-PUNTO Grande Punto 899
6 59117413 CHROME STRIP BOOT LID LINEA Linea 199
7 59117407 CARPET MAT BEIGE LINEA Linea 917
8 59117414 GPS NAVIGATION UNIT –CAR PAD 5 Linea/Grande Punto 19990
Only the mud flaps and the roof rails may interest people - I'm one of them.

Car Pad 5 - I can buy from MMI directly for the same price.
It doesn't have any special features which would be exclusive for Fiat, In dash unit would've been more Exciting IMO (but it is expensive and will be useless if ylou change the car)

Other accesories have nothing to rave about

But its good that they are giving an option to people who are wary to go outside OEM Service centre for accesories.

Just now, I enquired with the dealer if the part number was availabe with them
As expected, these part numbers have not yet been updated in their system

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
News source-
http://www.****************/fiat-ind...tml#post131582

The starred part is team fiat forum.
Off-topic, but can you tell me why you starred the link; I don't think its against the rules to quote from other websites as ong as you give credit.
Initially I was wondering why the link wasn't working

The TBHP rule pertaining to such instances says as quoted below

Quote:
3. Do make sure that you provide the relevant permission & references / original sources for every piece of material that has been reproduced from any other website / publication.
Admins please clarify If I'm wrong here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks