Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2014, 10:40   #6316
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

I am considering the upcoming Punto but in 1.4 petrol avatar (if they dont release a TSi version of 1.2 Petrol).

Do we have any owners here who can share the performance, peppiness, power available especially for highways / hill drives & real life economy of this engine?

I know its an old fashioned 1.4 FIRE engine, but I still love my 15 yr old Fiat Uno petrol & the way it drives.
Old 18th May 2014, 12:07   #6317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Anyone faced the niggle with the bonnet not opening after pulling the lever ? I've faced this a few times, and usually it starts working inexplicably after a few hours.

Has anyone got this diagnosed at the ASC and got it resolved ?
Take it to the FASS and get it rectified at earliest. The cable on my T-jet got unlatched while it was at FASS for some other work. There was no other way of opening the hood, except hitting the latch with a screwdriver passed through the front grill. There is a minor ding on the bonnet since that. I didn't push them for repainting as the colour of my car is quite rare (Bronzo Scuro). It's a different story that I have stopped visiting the particular FASS.
Old 18th May 2014, 12:55   #6318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I am considering the upcoming Punto but in 1.4 petrol avatar (if they dont release a TSi version of 1.2 Petrol).

Do we have any owners here who can share the performance, peppiness, power available especially for highways / hill drives & real life economy of this engine?

I know its an old fashioned 1.4 FIRE engine, but I still love my 15 yr old Fiat Uno petrol & the way it drives.
Why not stretch the budget a bit and grab the ever superior beast T-Jet?
Old 18th May 2014, 12:59   #6319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Why not stretch the budget a bit and grab the ever superior beast T-Jet?
We already have a sedan - Chevy Aveo that is still in great condition, so we are looking to replace the Uno with another hatch.

Unfortunately no real compact SUVs around yet...
Old 18th May 2014, 13:03   #6320
BHPian

Polo GT TSI is a better petrol hatch than anything from Fiat Petrols. Rather pricey though.
Old 18th May 2014, 13:08   #6321
BHPian

Hi abhishek, I own a 90 HP and it's has kept me happy for last 3 yrs. there is a known fact about turbo lag at lower speeds but with all the strong points on handling, drive ability, highway worthiness, and the huge confidence from point sharp steering will leave you love it more any day. It doesn't come loaded with fancy gadgets, but I think the latest model has got a nice chrome touch for interiors.
nixie89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 13:17   #6322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Polo GT TSI is a better petrol hatch than anything from Fiat Petrols. Rather pricey though.
Agree, but I still want a manual tranny not quite ready for automatics.. if they had a Polo 1.2 Manual TSi I would have bought it yesterday.
Old 18th May 2014, 16:33   #6323
BHPian

Quote:

Well, I have a 2010 1.4 Fire Linea, and it is a tad weak at the bottom end, especially with the fuel efficiency minded gears 1 & 2. But: it is very refined, has 90 bhp, a strong midrange, is efficient and is a VERY reliable engine too, like the MJD.

On the much lighter Punto, and with better low-gearing (i have heard recent Punto 1.4-s have improved in this respect?) it will be a pretty good i reckon, though much depends on driving style and desire.

I hope the new Punto comes with a 1.2 t-jet option, I believe it will sell well despite the higher cost.

The Avventura comes in october, although that would be differentiated more by its styling than by its engines.
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 14:23   #6324
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a 1.4 and have done over 38k kms in 4.5 years.
It gives me a city mileage of 11 kmpl. On highways, it depends on what I need -whether mileage or reaching destination faster. If I drive for mileage, I get 16+ kmpl. On a 400 kms trip(Bangalore to my native place) with NICE, average, bad and substandard roads, I get an overall average mileage of 13.5kmpl. It gives me 16kmpl when driven at 80-100kmph.

Performance: It never disappointed me, be it in city or highways. It can manage the ghat sections mostly in 3rd or 4th gear unless they are really steep.
Go for it if you are okay with ever rising petrol prices.
Old 19th May 2014, 21:09   #6325
BHPian

@nixie89

Agreed, booked the 90HP on Sunday. 3 agonizing weeks lie ahead until the car comes home.
AbhishekE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 23:15   #6326
BHPian

Well done! That's with contrasting coloured wing mirrors and black roof, no? And a subtle decal? Sorry but am not au fait with the Punto 90 hp product configuration.

cheers, man
Old 19th May 2014, 23:52   #6327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Well done! That's with contrasting coloured wing mirrors and black roof, no? And a subtle decal? Sorry but am not au fait with the Punto 90 hp product configuration.

cheers, man
I was given two options.

1. 2013 Punto 90HP Sport which has all the stuff you mentioned.

2. 2014 Punto 90HP which is without all the modifications, simple and classy.

Both had loads of discounts. The 2014 one commanded a slightly higher price tag and I went for it as I felt a fresher car would be better. The cosmetic changes could be done anytime if I want.
AbhishekE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 00:50   #6328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Pune Fiatians a small help here.

My Punto 7 months and 11 K Kms old has developed a few rattles in the past couple of weeks. Today I drove to Mumbai from Pune for work and could hear quite a lot coming from the rear. Maybe the rear parcel tray or somewhere on the hatch door. Tried figuring out from where the rattles are coming but couldn't. Now Where to take the car to trouble shoot this. I am not really sure if my Service center guys (Pandit Auto Pashan) .

Thanks in advance.
Please visit Pandit auto only. The other dealership does not have trained staff to help you out in such untraceable rattles. I opine Mr.Rahul(works manager) there would be the guy who can sort it out.
Oranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 23:13   #6329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post

My two cents would be to Look for the "H" in the odo, and get the VIN number from the SA to check the month of manufacture.
I have booked my 1.3MJD Emotion Punto which should be delivered to me by next weekend. Just curious to know more about this "H"on the odo. Can you/someone throw some light on it? I am expecting to do the PDI early next week.
Old 29th May 2014, 23:45   #6330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtorque View Post
I have booked my 1.3MJD Emotion Punto which should be delivered to me by next weekend. Just curious to know more about this "H"on the odo. Can you/someone throw some light on it? I am expecting to do the PDI early next week.
I am pasting a weblink that will redirect you to picture of yet another fiat model car's dashboard display with the "H" in it. I suppose it to be a Bravo. since the odometer reads in km supposing it to be from the UK. People in there also mention about seeing that letter on the display when they bought it brand new and witness it to disappear for ever once they cross 100 odd miles and never ever see it again reappearing at any time. Not sure why ?

http://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/Dsc01850.jpg

Last edited by sriramr9 : 29th May 2014 at 23:46.
sriramr9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks