Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2018, 09:54   #1651
Senior - BHPian

Re: Battery Query : Manza Quadrajet ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Experts / experienced hands / knowledgeable folks may please chip in.

Cheers !
Go for it eyes closed. Nothing is going to happen to your alternator/car/battery. I've done the same practically in my every car (P/D). All it would translate to a longer time for battery to get fully charged.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 23:10   #1652
BHPian

Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

I just bought a TATA Manza Elan 2011, and it's still the most VFM used car in the market IMHO.

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-screenshot_20190315224542__01.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-screenshot_20190315224554__01.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-screenshot_20190315224602__01.jpg

I was in need of a car, though I wanted my next new car to be an EV, this was unavoidable of sorts and thus begin the ordeal and I checked a lot of options for almost a month including new and used.
I was inclined towards petrol as the running would be less than 6k kms annually and intra-city only.

I was absolutely frustrated by the unreasonable used car prices. So, a new car looked like the only logical option.

While checking the new ones I was most disappointed by Maruti Suzuki and it's offerings specially the Swift. Suzuki in Swift LXi at ₹6L won't even provide front power windows whereas in it's sibling the Baleno for another 20k you get a better and bigger car, a lot more features and front two power windows as well.

Baleno at around ₹6.20L further complicated the puzzle which already had the new Wagon R VXi (O) at around ₹5.7L Vxi (O) 1.2 at ₹5.95L, Celerio X ZXi at around ₹5.10L and Swift LXi at around ₹6L & Vxi at ₹6.83L, it was only a matter of time till Hyundai i20 era jumped in to complicate things more, finally the Honda Amaze E at ₹6.80L with better safety and features (including isofix seats and all 4 power windows in the base variant) made them all look expensive and unworthy. But, those auto locking doors, internally adjustable ORVM and other essential features in the Honda Amaze S made it worth the extra money.

Finally when I'd made up my mind to book the Honda Amaze S after more than month of checking tons of used cars and considering every new car offered out there from ₹4L to ₹8L the TATA Manza Elan arrived with a big smile on it's face and saved me. How much did it cost? Just ₹1.32L and it is equipped with airbags and ABS as well. It's cheap to maintain, parts are available easily and has the reliable 1.3L MJD aka the national engine.

It has run 92k kms and would require a clutch overhaul, probably a new timing chain and new tyres. Took it for a quick service first up, replaced the engine oil, coolant and filters and took it for a longish drive. It didn't disappoint a bit. Came home happy and without breaking the bank. Hope it will last for another 3-4 years and 20k - 30k kms, hopefully by that time the EVs will become main stream and that would be a worthy and realistic upgrade. So, this decision also helped me in postponing all my future new car purchases till then.

Also, it was kind of frustrating to see how car dealers quote higher prices on OLX anywhere from ₹50k to ₹1L just to manipulate the market, because of their high prices the private listings are posted for unreal amounts too. People are expecting way too much for their used cars just because of OLX, their cars either don't sell for that price for a long time or don't sell at all. In the end they end up selling their cars to the dealers out of frustration for much less than what they could have with realistic pricing. Whereas the dealers are quick to cut off about ₹50k easily without too much negotiations. Futher, platforms like Car24 have contributed heavily in the rise of used car prices.

Last edited by wrongturn : 15th March 2019 at 23:21.
wrongturn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 23:25   #1653
BHPian

Wrong turn, this is the right turn. Amazing price for this awesome car 😀 I used to own one and trust me, not 20 or 30 k you can run for another lakh KMS !! Marvelous find !! Treasure it
power ranger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 23:40   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Marvelous find !! Treasure it
Thanks, that is very reassuring Power Ranger I definitely will take good care of it.

As the Zordon used to say "and may the power protect you"
Old 16th March 2019, 10:54   #1655
Senior - BHPian

As for the clutch, it may cost around Rs.8,000.00 including parts and labour charges.

Timing chain doesn't need replacement until 1,20,000 km if it is already replaced at 60,000 km. Check about it at an authorized service station and you would know whether it was replaced as per schedule.

Higher rated battery can be installed if space permits. Manza diesel can be fitted with 80 AH battery as far as I know.

As for the engine, the 1.3 MJD can last up to several lakh km if maintained properly. We were used to the 75 BHP engines in Site, Vista and Swift but the 90 HP one pulls better. I happened to drive a Manza diesel for 70 km and felt it was quite good. That drive influenced me to buy a Zest with 90 hp diesel in 2014.

Last edited by simplyself : 16th March 2019 at 10:58.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:34   #1656

Dear BHP'ians,

I own this beast, Saffire Aura+ model, recently completed 8 years @ 45,000 Kms.

Service cost came out to 4600/- in TaMo Authorised service center in Delhi.

Highly satisfied with this product. Just that I get the Wheel Alignment & Balancing done twice an year, because an engineer at TaMo mentioned the same in one of my past visit to service station.

Still in love with the balanced ride it offers, it just sails over the rough roads.
reach_gm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 21:12   #1657
BHPian

My Manza Clubclass QJet EXL (2013) completed 80,000 Kms today.
Yes, it's the same fat Manza that went down a grassy slope and refused come up almost exactly two years ago (Read here (A ridiculous misadventure - Manza stuck on wet grass & mud)).

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190925_065229_2.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190925_064917.jpg

An underrated car, packing great value. No regrets about buying it six years ago. No issues other than occasional electrical niggles. The major servicing needs were clutch replacement at 45K Kms (the car spent 3 years in Bangalore traffic) and change of timing belt as per service schedule (60K Kms). Currently on its second set of tyres. The engine, transmission and suspension has been trouble free. The space, especially the back seat is fantastic. The ride quality is good. The 90bhp Fiat sourced diesel motor is adequate for comfortable cruising.
The interiors have held up reasonably well, except for a bit of slackening of the door pad fabric on one side. The OEM leather seats have fared well with minimum signs of wear.

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190925_065035.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190925_064944.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190925_065011.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190925_065055.jpg

It is no longer my daily runner. A petrol hatchback (Abarth Punto, incidentally another Fiat engined car) addition to the family has eased its running. The Manza is now used primarily by the wife with a driver.
We plan to keep this for another three-four years.
cogWheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 12:25   #1658
BHPian

1. Background Story: I just turned 18 and learnt driving from my Father (yeah cause i had tooo much interest in cars) and felt that i had no need to go to a driving school. Got my DL and started taking out the humble Alto for highway/college runs. Now since it had aged and run well (2,00,000 kilometers in 7 years with just front axle replaced and regular servicing done!!!!) It had to be changed. Moreover, our family of 6 couldn't travel together even while we 6 had to travel together for only once or twice in a month. So come 1 December, 2018 we posted our car on OLX. Hundreds on messages and calls we got. Nearly 50 people came to check the car (most of them were time-passers!). One fine Sunday morning and i got a call from a serious buyer who said he's coming with money to buy the car. He came checked the car, didn't even moved it. He just started the engine and put all gears to check them.
He was surprised to find a Alto which had run 2,00,000 kilometers in this condition. So he finalised the deal and off went our Alto. It was emotional cause it never ever broke down anywhere and went to almost full India with us.
Now as we sold our Alto, we only had 1 bike left for daily commute which was used by my Father and i had to rely on autos and cabs. Due to some reasons we only looked at used car market.

2.Options considered:

A. Tata Safari
Many people have dream cars such as Buggati or Lamborghini's, but my dream car was always the Safari Dicor.
Positives:
1.Big, Hulky beast which whenever comes in RVM of any small car, the car gives side.
2.S-P-A-C-E this beast screams space whenever you enter it.
3.Torque'y diesel engine.
4.Many features such as heated side view mirror, defogger, power windows
Negatives:
1.Usual Tata ASS
2.Maintenence

B.Tata Manza
My Dad's office's colleague had a Manza and i also sat in it many times. This was also one of my favourites.
Positives:
1.Space, rear seat could accomodate 3 adults with some space left for a small child.
2.An overall nice package with many features.
3.Poor resale. This was actuallly nice thing for me as i was getting Manza's for just mere 1.4-1.7 lakhs
Negatives:
1.Rattles here and there.
2.Famous Tata ASS.

Well, no other options were considered and due to many FNG's scaring me by saying that Safari has too much maintenace costs, we finalised on a Pre-Owned 2010 Tata Manza Quadrajet Aura (ABS) model with 75k on Odo.
3.Buying Experience:
While browsing OLX, found a nice looking Manza 2010. Next day went with my Father to check out the Manza. he had all service records. We thoroughly checked the car from outside and it was spic and span. Then we asked for keys and my Father started the car and it came to it's glory.
Finalised the deal in Rs._______ . Well i would not disguise the price and would like you all guys to guess it.
Next day we went to owner's house and again checked the car and it was as same as before!! [roll]
Gave him money took the keys, did the paperwork and we were ready to take her home!!
When we started the car the fuel gauge showed that the tank was full, which wasn't when we checked the car previous day. Asked the owner and found it was a gift for us!!!

4.Ownership Experience:
Positives
  • Extremely silent engine and even when revved the engine note sweet but not loud like a free flow exhaust!!
  • Wind noise is damped very well even at speeds of about 100-120
  • Seating position is very comfortable and one does not get tired after long journeys
  • Interior space & Quality
  • Feeling of premium interiors
  • Default speakers are more than sufficient and has a good bass. No need for an upgrade.
  • Nice pep in engine even on highway runs!

Negatives
  • Ride is bumpy at high speeds when there are undulations in the road.
  • Auto lock is not present above 20 kmph. Need to manually lock the car every time.
  • No Dead pedal.
Well my Father had taken the car for some work and would return in 2-3 days so more pics at that time.
This was my first review and i tried to keep it as much comprehensive as i could. Please point my mistakes so i can be better at writing.

How was the 'upgrade' from Alto??

1.More road respect (you know road bully done with alto's and nano's or 800's
2.Not a highway champion but a nice ride to be in on highway journeys. Easy cruisability even at speeds of 120-130kmph
3.Revv-happy engine (of-course India's national 1.3 Mjd under the hood)
4.S-P-A-C-E

Driving experience
Well, it's a mixed bag for me. While the engine output of 90bhp helps in getting enough pep for city driving, the car, somewhat, feels that it lacks power beyond 130kph. Handling department is also good, though, you cannot throw this car around corners. I've upsized the tyres to 195/70 R15 and now it feels better while cornering at high speeds. Suspension is the place where Manza excels! Backseat passangers just love siting there. I've driven the many cars like Verna, Cruze, Dzire, Amaze and I feel that still, Manza is better at comfort levels ( no offense to owners of these beautiful cars).

Current situation
All you read was my review after just one month of buying the car.
In the meantime,

1. Engine was replaced at around 100k kilometers, now I'm sure the previous owner must've reversed the odo, because a 1.3 Mjd can't just stop at mere 100k kilometers..

2. After the engine overhaul, I drove the car for 2 months and then I started facing a power loss, and it affected the car to the extent that I always had to turn AC off to climb steep hills!. Next day, I went to a open highway at 5:00 AM and pressed pedal to metal to check the pickup and to my surprise, TURBO HAD STOPPED SPOOLING!. Earlier, turbo spooling couod be heard at around 2.5k RPM, but now I revved to 4.5k RPM and there was no turbo sound at all! Even the pickup from 0-100 is slower than a Eon! I checked it. (Experts please advice that what could be wrong).

3. Many small niggles such as power window failure started cropping up but, while driving, handbrake light suddenly comes on amd when I punch at the handbrake, it again goes off.

Overall, Manza is a nice car in all major areas, be it comfort, power, interior looks, features (being a 2010 car). It's just that I ended up buying in a haste..
A minor accident!
In the third picture I attached, you can see paint scuffs and a minor dent. A autorockshaw driver rammed his Auto behind my car at around 30-40 kmph. This shows how rigid is the build quality of Manza.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190908_173910.jpg  

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190908_194208.jpg  

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190908_164922.jpg  

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190908_164907.jpg  

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190908_135158.jpg  

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190908_135052.jpg  

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190908_135043.jpg  

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190908_134945.jpg  

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190908_134955.jpg  

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190908_135003.jpg  

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20190908_135021.jpg  

THE_DRIFTER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 10:21   #1659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_DRIFTER View Post
1.Space, rear seat could accomodate 3 adults with some space left for a small child.
2.An overall nice package with many features.
3.Poor resale. This was actuallly nice thing for me as i was getting Manza's for just mere 1.4-1.7 lakhs

In the third picture I attached, you can see paint scuffs and a minor dent. A autorockshaw driver rammed his Auto behind my car at around 30-40 kmph. This shows how rigid is the build quality of Manza.
Congratulations on the car. A solid spacious limousine on budget! Wish you many safe & happy miles with the cruise ship on wheels.

The center fascia around the AC controls seems a bit damaged & taking away some points on looks. Its a press fit piece. Please check on boodmo or nearest TASC & order it. Or ask for a totaled car from the service center for cheap deal.

Here is the part for reference -
Link - Boodmo.com for Manza center lower fascia (AC control surround).
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 15:28   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Congratulations on the car.
=====
Boodmo.com for Manza center lower fascia (AC control surround).[/url]
I was also keen on finding a way to change this part or kind of vinyl wrap it.
I would check out with TASC, for sure. Thanks for the link Sir.
Old 22nd December 2019, 16:07   #1661
BHPian

Alongwith the guidance received from BHPian @Chalu , this great review by @GTO was a guiding light when I bought my Tata Manza Aura ABS Safire in 2011.

The car served me well for about 9 years now and its time for her to be replaced. While the car was always comfortable and still is, mileage went for a toss almost immediately after I bought it. So much so that it has started to return about 5 kmpl now. A tank full these days is barely enough for the monthly office run which is about 4.5 km from my residence . Traffic in Mumbai is pathetic though.

My 10 year old son who literally grew up with the car, is sad to let her go. But emotions aside, it has become seriously challenging to keep the car with us now.

Appreciate if you guys can throw light on my considerations below:
- A car that provides me with space not less than Manza. With the family, space cannot be compromised.
- My Manza does not have Airbags, but think they should be there now.
- City mileage over 12 kmpl, something that I never had with Manza.
- I am believer in bells and whistles, so a car that gives max of them in my budget
- Within a budget of 12-15L on road price

Also, If I sell my Petrol Manza Aura ABS (built Nov 2010/ Registered Feb2011), what price to expect in Mumbai?

Thanks and brgds
GC
chaturgaurav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 12:14   #1662
BHPian

You can take a look at City Petrol as well as Verna Petrol (they both are around 10lakhs ex showroom for base model).
I bought a Manza Diesel 2010 1 year ago for 1.4 lakhs, so your Petrol one could fetch around 1.2 lakhs..
THE_DRIFTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 13:49   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_DRIFTER View Post
You can take a look at City Petrol as well as Verna Petrol (they both are around 10lakhs ex showroom for base model).
I bought a Manza Diesel 2010 1 year ago for 1.4 lakhs, so your Petrol one could fetch around 1.2 lakhs..
Thanks. I am currently considering Honda City VX CVT and Maruti Ciaz Alpha AT. Hyundai Verna, somehow feels a little short on rear space. Had a look and TD of Skoda Rapid also, but it miserably fails in terms of rear space (thanks to very high transmission hump). Although Ciaz is no match for City, considering my budget, the pricing makes Ciaz more appealing.

Congratulations on the good deal you got for diesel Manza at 1.4 L, I doubt my petrol will be as near as 1 L. Although I have not officially got it rated, but have been advised locally to expect around 60 K max. Will be taking my car to Cars 24 for the valuation soon.
chaturgaurav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 17:50   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaturgaurav View Post
Thanks. I am currently considering Honda City VX CVT and Maruti Ciaz Alpha AT. Hyundai Verna, somehow feels a little short on rear space. Had a look and TD of Skoda Rapid also, but it miserably fails in terms of rear space (thanks to very high transmission hump). Although Ciaz is no match for City, considering my budget, the pricing makes Ciaz more appealing.

Congratulations on the good deal you got for diesel Manza at 1.4 L, I doubt my petrol will be as near as 1 L. Although I have not officially got it rated, but have been advised locally to expect around 60 K max. Will be taking my car to Cars 24 for the valuation soon.
Absolutely correct, according to my experience Rapid and Verna are not spacious even if comapred to the Manza.

Yes, I bargained a good deal by buying the Manza at 1.4l but had to do an engine overhaul soon after buying!! It made the car cost around 2.1l.

60k is way too less for a Petrol Manza. And I don't think selling your car to Cars24 would give a good price to you. They had quoted just 45k for my Alto which I sold for nearly double the price.
THE_DRIFTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 01:02   #1665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaturgaurav View Post
Thanks. I am currently considering Honda City VX CVT and Maruti Ciaz Alpha AT.
Although I have not officially got it rated, but have been advised locally to expect around 60 K max. Will be taking my car to Cars 24 for the valuation soon.
Have a look at pre-owned Corolla's & Elantras as well as the Creta & Seltos as new options.

If buying new, check if the dealers have any lucrative exchange offers. The exchange offer may offset the dismal quotes dealers generally give, and save you the headache of selling the vehicle yourself.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks