Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2016, 10:08   #1636
BHPian

Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Avoid authorised service centres. Get this looked at ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Correct!
Pls get it aligned at either Bridgestone or Goodyear tire showrooms.
They have the best maintained equipment and well trained technicians.

Thanks @anilp & Maverick79 for your valuable inputs & correct diagnosis. I finally got the alignment checked & done at Darshan Tyres(Bridgestone dealer) & the sound disappeared. Now covered more than 2000 kilometres & car is running fine. No noises from turning. Lesson learnt: No alignment balancing from now on at TASS.
Hudson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 22:50   #1637
BHPian

Today came home from Tata motors service center with a shocker bill of 37K for the 60K service of my Manza QJD. The car is 6.5 years old, but well maintained. But by seeing the list of things replaced in the car, I will be afraid to put my money again on a Tata car.
Out of 37K, 10K was for AMC, which took care of the timing chain replacement, oil filter, fuel filter and engine oil. It also gives the next 70K service free.
The remaining 27K was charged for one radiator fan, water pump, engine mount, clutch assembly, front brake pads, wiper blades, bardahl engine oil additive (which SA didn't inform me) and some consumables. I had plans to get an alloy set today, but after this shocker from TASS I just couldn't take the wallet out of my pocket

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th November 2017 at 00:25.
Old 30th December 2016, 07:01   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
The remaining 27K was charged for one radiator fan, water pump, engine mount, clutch assembly, front brake pads, wiper blades, bardahl engine oil additive (which SA didn't inform me) and some consumables. I had plans to get an alloy set today, but after this shocker from TASS I just couldn't take the wallet out of my pocket
Did you specifically list out any problems? Why were the radiator fan, water pump and clutch assembly replaced? Is this your first change of brake pads?

You have to be very specific in the job being done at any service center. 65k kms for the first set of brake pads is ok. But if it's your second, then depends on your driving pattern. Clutch life also depends on driving pattern. The original clutch on my Vista (100k kms) is now due for replacement. Although I did replace the master and slave cylinders about 10k kms earlier.

Service centers make their money on spares, around 30℅, so they will hardsell stuff. It's up to us to deny them the luxury. Always ask for an estimate and tell them not to replace without approval.

I got the AC fixed at a local guy for 7k where the service center quoted 13k. Still works like a charm. Awareness is the key. Check with local friends on who would do a good job outside of the A.S.S. As the car is already outside warranty, there's no reason for you to hit an A.S.S that fleeces you.

Last edited by discoverwild : 30th December 2016 at 07:03.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 09:03   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Did you specifically list out any problems? Why were the radiator fan, water pump and clutch assembly replaced? Is this your first change of brake pads?

I got the AC fixed at a local guy for 7k where the service center quoted 13k. Still works like a charm. Awareness is the key. Check with local friends on who would do a good job outside of the A.S.S. As the car is already outside warranty, there's no reason for you to hit an A.S.S that fleeces you.
The car had symptoms of failure of some of these parts. The A/C was not cooling and after checking SA mentioned that the second radiator fan went kaput. The clutch was too hard that driving it in city was a nightmare. For Water pump, there were no symptoms. The SA called and said the bearing is gone and has to replace. Brake pads were the stock ones.

I tried few local shops, but problem is when any part replacement is required all these guys were using not genuine parts (for that I am not sure even TASS uses genuine parts or they make money by taking shortcut there as well).

Moreover I totally don't agree that in a business transaction, customer has to always suspect the intentions of the seller and then run around validating it. In any business such a practice is continued, it is not going to last long. Customers too value their time and energy and hence in their next purchase they will look for an alternative.
Old 30th December 2016, 12:15   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...one radiator fan, water pump, engine mount, clutch assembly, front brake pads, wiper blades, bardahl engine oil additive (which SA didn't inform me)...
Its often considered prudent to change the water pump when timing chain is changed, but, small items like wiper blades (did the old ones have cuts?) etc may be unnecessary.

Is Bardahl Engine Oil Additive suggested in the 60k service in the manual (I don't think so) ? If not, send an E-mail complaint to Tata Motors that the service advisor is doing changes against what is suggested by Tata Motors, on his own accord that too without your permission.

Quote:
The car had symptoms of failure of some of these parts. The A/C was not cooling and after checking SA mentioned that the second radiator fan went kaput. The clutch was too hard that driving it in city was a nightmare. For Water pump, there were no symptoms. The SA called and said the bearing is gone and has to replace. Brake pads were the stock ones.
So I guess some of it is based on your feedback. But still, check the list of items & mention the ones that you feel were totally unnecessary.

Quote:
Moreover I totally don't agree that in a business transaction, customer has to always suspect the intentions of the seller and then run around validating it. In any business such a practice is continued, it is not going to last long. Customers too value their time and energy and hence in their next purchase they will look for an alternative.
That is the reason people have been complaining about Tata service since a long long time. We're used to assuming propriety but thats where they often seem to take advantage.

This "feeling cheated" sentiment has haunted Tata customers since long. There does come a point when one intuitively decides "I'll never buy a Tata car again, no matter how good the product seems".

My effort for this concern, was to the extent that my personal feedback to Karl Slym was that they should relieve the customers of such issues through longer extended warranty and AMC, even at the cost of increasing the product price.

But what they now seem to be doing is counter intuitive, wherein they're reducing free services and not giving longer warranty. So, again we're left to the mercy of dodgy service center practices.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 12:37   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While it may not be right to always suspect a service center, your previous post mentions the use of an engine additive without your consent. However little it may be, doing it without your knowledge is totally uncalled for. Every rupee that we make is hard-earned and there's no reason that we need to let go of it for something that we weren't aware of.

There's a particular cycle in every car's life that requires maintenance depending on our driving skills, habits, road conditions etc. Most of my cars so far have had it around the 100K mark (second tyre change, clutch replacement, timing belt/chain, ball joints and tie-rods, suspension bushes etc). Around the 80-100k km mark, each vehicle normally goes through this phase. Some have early concerns because the car might have been used predominantly inside the city, or has seen a period of dusty conditions (construction particulate dust), so the chances of failure tends to increase.

Do look at the positives with the car you have and weigh it out with the negatives. I spend approximately Rs. 1.00-1.25 per km on maintenance including tyres. If your bills are under Rs. 2.00, I would still call it a fair deal, given the fact that our driving conditions are only getting worse.

If however you're spending more, it might be better go in for an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Its often considered prudent to change the water pump when timing chain is changed,
Can you please elaborate on this? Thanks.

Last edited by discoverwild : 30th December 2016 at 12:42.
Old 30th December 2016, 17:33   #1642
BHPian

I sold of my Feb 2012 Manza Quadrajet 90 Elan last week for 2,50,000. It had 92,000 km on the odo. Was due for 90k service and tyres change. Got 40,000 exchange bonus and picked up an S-Cross 1.3 Zeta. Was pretty happy with it but a near 1,00,000 expense looming up made me dispose it off.
Old 30th December 2016, 19:03   #1643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I sold of my Feb 2012 Manza Quadrajet 90 Elan last week for 2,50,000. It had 92,000 km on the odo. Was due for 90k service and tyres change. Got 40,000 exchange bonus and picked up an S-Cross 1.3 Zeta. Was pretty happy with it but a near 1,00,000 expense looming up made me dispose it off.
Not sure about resale prices at this point due to demonetisation but, why a 1,00,000 expense?! Something wrong?

I sold my 2006 Indica DLG in 2012 for 2.20L after using it for 1,65,000 kms.
Old 30th December 2016, 19:22   #1644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
That is the reason people have been complaining about Tata service since a long long time.
Even after spending 37K, today after a short drive I noticed this one!!! TASS had mentioned that they have changed one bulb and this is the end result. The cover is not only dislocated, but also one of its holding clip is broken. Tomorrow I am going to see these morons. This was from RF Motors, Cochin. But again, I am wasting my time

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-headlight-assembly.jpg

By the way, is there any grievance redressal options in TASS apart from sending an email to customercare@tatamotors.com ? If so, please let me know.

Last edited by sreerknair : 30th December 2016 at 19:44.
Old 30th December 2016, 19:59   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
If your bills are under Rs. 2.00, I would still call it a fair deal, given the fact that our driving conditions are only getting worse.
I am going to change the tyre this week. Including that I would say my maintenance cost is ~ Rs. 1.50 per kilometer. But if I include the cost for the time I spend on getting things done, it will be much much higher. For every service, I need to visit the service center at least 2 times after that.
sreerknair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 23:00   #1646
BHPian

May I know whether any of the Amaron batteries fit the Manza QJD 2010 model? I am looking for a replacement battery. Current one is at end of life.
Old 18th November 2017, 23:48   #1647
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Please check with the battery dealer. I think Amaron has an option in their Hi Way range equivalent to the DIN60R .
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:04   #1648
BHPian

Tata Manza/Vista Door/Light/Seatbelt Buzzer

Hi All
I recently purchased a new Tata Manza. Yes folks, you read that right, NEW. Here in South Africa it seems that Tata still has a few floating around, and they are still for sale. I suspect the stock will run out in a month or 2 though. Now, I bought the top of the local range Manza Ignis [Safire90]. On the local distributor's product brochure spec sheet, it shows that my Manza should have a headlamp on/seatbelt not fastened/door open warning buzzer. However, my car does not. Closer inspection of the cabin fuse box to the right hand side of the steering wheel shows that the relay position marked BUZZER is empty. My question is: if I get this buzzer relay part, can I just slot it in, and the buzzer function will work? Also, does anyone have a part number or a web link to a supplier, as well as any Vista/Manza owners who can take a pic of their fusebox with the buzzer relay installed, so that I can have an idea of what it should look like?
Many thanks for any advice!
Old 3rd December 2017, 02:12   #1649
BHPian

I have recently acquired a Manza Safire90. One thing puzzles me : when I turn the ignition on and the instrumentation lights up to do its check, a light within the speedometer circle comes on for 3 or so seconds. The light reads "SPEED LIMIT". I can find no mention of it in the owners manual. Does anyone know what it's function is?
Old 3rd May 2018, 15:17   #1650
BHPian

Battery Query : Manza Quadrajet ABS

I am in a quandary here. The battery in my Manza Quadrajet ABS needs replacement. The Owner's Manual informs me that the battery is a 60 AH for Quadrajet (44 AH for Safire Petrol).

I remember reading somewhere in the forum, that a battery of somewhat higher AH can be safely installed , provided that the alternator is able to fully charge the battery . That way it can take whatever load the system throws at it , & then some. The alternator is, as described in the Owner's Manual - "12V 105A with vacuum pump".

On the Amaron website, the recommended battery for Tata Manza is a 70 AH one (BL 700 RMF). This further confuses things a bit.

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-amaron.png

My query is
  • Can a battery of a higher rating (70AH) instead of recommended rating (60AH) be installed in the car?
  • Will the alternator be able to charge the battery fully? I guess the alternator is rated for 105 Amperes.
  • Any negatives , if I go ahead with this?

Experts / experienced hands / knowledgeable folks may please chip in.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 3rd May 2018 at 15:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks