Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 13:13   #1771
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

@Salbin, That's a great experience you've got there!
I too am aware of a 'flat scale technique' that can be used to open Marutis and Hyundais. Infact, it was a Hyundai dealer who demostrated it to me.
I thought the same would work with the Beat as it had the same kind of lever for door lock!

Your info is of great help! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Auto freak : 24th March 2011 at 13:15.
Old 24th March 2011, 21:11   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Might be they are taking into account the cost of living index for different cities.
+1 to that. Also, I think that those guys are much more smarter and already knows it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
@Salbin, That's a great experience you've got there!
I too am aware of a 'flat scale technique' that can be used to open Marutis and Hyundais. Infact, it was a Hyundai dealer who demostrated it to me.
I thought the same would work with the Beat as it had the same kind of lever for door lock!
Your info is of great help! Thanks for sharing!

Many people came there for watching it and giving instructions.
Even one guy(from the petrol bunk only) came with a flat steel scale for doing the push technique. When I told that this car requires pull up instead of push, the guy laughed at me and told he had already done it for many vehicles and he knows it very well. He left the place when I told him that I will manage to do it myself. He came back to me after I opened it to find out how I did it.

The purpose of posting this experience in this forum is to share the information that the flat scale technique will not work for Beat. If at all someone tries to do that, it will be a waste of time and also can lead to some damage to the internal linkages.

@Alston & Sajan:
Could not take any photos.. I was not in a situation to click photos at that moment.
You can check-out some of the inside door pics taken during the remote lock install. A part of the linkage is visible. The lock lever comes upwards from the door handle portion till the plastic knob on top and the remote lock actuators/solenoids are generally connected to this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2047474
Old 26th March 2011, 10:17   #1773
BHPian

Is the fuel gauge of the Beat Highly inaccurate by any chance or is my case a one off?

Issue is, from the very beginning, i have noticed the fuel gauge was a bit inaccurate, but after 6-7k kms i had almost managed to judge its antics pretty well, or so i thought.

My car has currently done 9,200kms and during the last 3-4 refills i have noticed the following :

1. Even after filling up the tank to the brim, and i mean "to the brim" and thats about 2.5litres more after the auto-cut( 29 to 30l of fuel), the fuel gauge indicates 75% fuel left in the tank!

2. To make matters worse, the gauge would sometimes drop to 25% after a mere 20-30km drive!

3. All through the 400-450kms run that a full tank sustains in my driving conditions the gauge keeps dilly dallying and keeping me guessing.

4. The last 2 bars in the fuel gauge disappears within a range of 10kms sometimes!

I generally do not bother much about it since i have already gauged my range on a tank full for my daily office commute, but problem arises during trips to Durgapur/Bolpur, a 400km round trip from Kolkata which i have to undertake once or twice a month. The errant fuel gauge makes me panicky and i often end up making unnecessary stops at filling stations.
Old 26th March 2011, 14:18   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Is the fuel gauge of the Beat Highly inaccurate by any chance or is my case a one off?

Issue is, from the very beginning, i have noticed the fuel gauge was a bit inaccurate, but after 6-7k kms i had almost managed to judge its antics pretty well, or so i thought.

My car has currently done 9,200kms and during the last 3-4 refills i have noticed the following :

1. Even after filling up the tank to the brim, and i mean "to the brim" and thats about 2.5litres more after the auto-cut( 29 to 30l of fuel), the fuel gauge indicates 75% fuel left in the tank!

2. To make matters worse, the gauge would sometimes drop to 25% after a mere 20-30km drive!

3. All through the 400-450kms run that a full tank sustains in my driving conditions the gauge keeps dilly dallying and keeping me guessing.

4. The last 2 bars in the fuel gauge disappears within a range of 10kms sometimes!
It seems to be a one off case.
In my case the fuel gauge shows full after filling upto auto cut-off.
Suggest you to show it to Chevy service and get it corrected.
Old 26th March 2011, 14:25   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post

I generally do not bother much about it since i have already gauged my range on a tank full for my daily office commute, but problem arises during trips to Durgapur/Bolpur, a 400km round trip from Kolkata which i have to undertake once or twice a month. The errant fuel gauge makes me panicky and i often end up making unnecessary stops at filling stations.
Has to be one off case. The fuel meter is very reliable is my case. Show it to the SA and get it checked. keep us updated
Old 26th March 2011, 22:03   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Has to be one off case. The fuel meter is very reliable is my case. Show it to the SA and get it checked. keep us updated
I had a similar experience with the fuel gauge erroneous reading. Upon complaining they have replaced the FG float or so which I don't remember correctly. Don't worry man, your ride has got 3 year warranty and Chevy guys are ready to help you without much sweating
Old 26th March 2011, 23:14   #1777
BHPian

Guys, any idea or info from GM about fitting LPG kit on existing BEATs? I read in another thread they were doing it for 12K.
Old 27th March 2011, 00:19   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Guys, any idea or info from GM about fitting LPG kit on existing BEATs? I read in another thread they were doing it for 12K.
By any chance it cannot be 12K.
AFAIK,
- The LPG kit of GM is a Sequential Injection type kit. This will be costlier than the closed loop system.
- They are using a Toroidal tank, which is again costlier than the Capsule type tank.
- Always OEM kits will be costlier than the aftermarket retro kits.
Old 27th March 2011, 16:37   #1779
Senior - BHPian

10K update.
* FE=13.5 (CITY only)
* Pulling power is present (much better pre ECU upgrade) but not instantaneous to push in the back.
* Excessive body roll not inspiring sudden lane changes and overtaking on highways.
* HPS has little to complain about. Weighs nicely. A little low on feedback but once you get used to it ALL IS WELL.
* Ride quality is most amazing. Best in class. Its a tallboy, it is softly sprung but still not bouncy.
* No rattles so far.
* After sales Service had been A+. People are courteous, prompt and the servicing capability looks excellent. I would rate them as good as Maruti if not better. The only issue is you cant find a service center at every corner of town.
* There are a few blind spots. A pillar is a big hindrance. Real visibility is also not helping.
* AC is still a chiller. No complains here.
* Built looks promising so far. Not made of wafer thin sheets of Maruti.
Old 28th March 2011, 17:08   #1780

Just saw the bluetooth sign in the factory music system in my LT version. This can be seen at all times if monitored closely, the sign is never lit though. Tried to connect my phone to it but no luck. Perhaps its a feature in international models only. Has anybody else has seen this and has any further information?
Old 28th March 2011, 22:54   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedZep View Post
Just saw the bluetooth sign in the factory music system in my LT version. This can be seen at all times if monitored closely, the sign is never lit though. Tried to connect my phone to it but no luck. Perhaps its a feature in international models only. Has anybody else has seen this and has any further information?
Ive seen it too. The display must have been manufactured for all types of models but the bluetooth hardware is not present in the ones sold in India I guess
Old 30th March 2011, 20:20   #1782
BHPian

About the new Smartech engine

ACI April 2011 issue carries a first drive report of the Beat with the new Smartech engine.
According to this report, 'The idle is much more silent and vibration-free compared to the older engine. The low-end responses have improved too and there is no hesitation while taking standstill starts. The Beat has a perky throttle response, which is useful in stop-and-go traffic. But even though the midrange has improved, you can still notice the lack of outright punch.It is not particularly an effortless motor. You can extract respectable performance from it but you need to work it hard. '
The report concludes that 'The Beat is now better to drive but does fall short of the benchmark set by the Maruti K-series and Hyundai Kappa motors'.
Old 31st March 2011, 23:54   #1783
BHPian

Guys, I ve got the stock alloys on my car painted matt black. This is how she looks now!
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc01129.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc01142.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc01137.jpg  

Last edited by Auto freak : 31st March 2011 at 23:58.
Old 31st March 2011, 23:59   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Up close it looks awesome.
But Personally I prefer silver alloys than black. Entirely my opinion.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:11   #1785
BHPian

Auto freak nice ones, I like them, why not paint the brake calipers red or yellow, makes them stand out and give a more agressive look

Most Viewed