Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 15:48   #241
Senior - BHPian

Hi GTO,

Great reviews and great answers for the queries. In the crowded markets of Ritz,Swift, Estilo, I10,I20,Polo, Sx4 Hatch will this beat survive. Only t9ime should answer . Isn't it?
Old 6th January 2010, 21:29   #242
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi GTO,

Great reviews and great answers for the queries. In the crowded markets of Ritz,Swift, Estilo, I10,I20,Polo, Sx4 Hatch will this beat survive. Only t9ime should answer . Isn't it?
Probably the i-20, Polo may fall in a different league. This will surely compete with the i-10, ritz, swift,estilo and maybe even pull many Wagon R and Santro customers towards itself. Competent pricing and great offering means this will be a decent winner for GM i feel in 2010.
Old 7th January 2010, 07:55   #243
BANNED

A good review and except for the uncommon looks the car should sell well.
Old 7th January 2010, 08:08   #244
Senior - BHPian

Have seen one in pictures and TV yet, I hope this will be a cute looking car. Saw a large ad placed just outside technopark, the car in the pic looks good.

If Hyundai were making this car, they'd have already come up with a blurb "Beat It!" or something in the ads
Old 7th January 2010, 15:55   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Hi GTO,

I think cars with more than 75K thousand price difference should not be compared at all, because to me it forms a different subsegment within Hatches.

Going by that yardstick its ok to compare only A-Star, Ritz, I10, WagonR and estilo with beat and IMO Beat seems to be strongest contender for top slot this year, although with GM's smaller sales network it may not be able to beat i10 or WagonR.
Old 8th January 2010, 03:34   #246
BHPian

Im in love with the interiors of this car . And for the mini Usb it can be used with the normal USB's by using a converter right?
Old 8th January 2010, 11:12   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
  • The beat comes with integrated audio in the high end variant. What about the low and mid variant . Can aftermarket systems be fitted in these variants. Will there be provisions for it.

I have the same question. Any ideas anyone?

Also, wondering how the black would look
Old 8th January 2010, 19:06   #248
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
The beat comes with integrated audio in the high end variant. What about the low and mid variant . Can aftermarket systems be fitted in these variants.
According to this, the mid-level does NOT come with an integrated stereo. I don't see any issues with fitting an aftermarket stereo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I just had a small spin in it. Will post a complete test report tomorrow.

One thing: Took back to back tests with the Estilo/A-Star and the Ritz... for city-driving this car literally trumps them on most counts. The futuristic interiors are an absolute delight.
True, its a superior hatch to the Estilo, though I'd debate on the Ritz. All thanks to its engine + gearbox combo.

BTW, where is your driving impression report?

Quote:
Hi GTO,

Chevy has priced the Beat exceedingly well. That alone is enough to ensure its space in the crowded 3 - 5 lakh segment. My prediction is that the Beat will settle at 3500 odd units a month, if not 4000 (at best).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If Hyundai were making this car, they'd have already come up with a blurb "Beat It!" or something in the ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
And for the mini Usb it can be used with the normal USB's by using a converter right?
Sure can.
Old 8th January 2010, 19:44   #249
Senior - BHPian

I ckeced out Beat in a near by showroom.

The interiors are nice but its another car with a big dashboard & which is also somewhat high making judgment a but difficult.

The rear is as mentioned by GTO claustrophobic. The window almost starts from shoulder /neck level. Although its not as if your head would touch anywhere but you certainly *feel* cramped. Also I feel that Spark is more roomier

Couldnt take test drive but yes it looks like a good package at this price.
Old 9th January 2010, 18:03   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Allow me to start my review by asking a pertinent question : What is the differentiator amongst the many modern hatchbacks on sale today? Every modern hatch, be it the i10, the Ritz or the Swift, is already running on (or soon will be) a 1.2L petrol engine, sufficiently reliable, fuel efficient, offers reasonable room and about the same power (no truly large variance). The hatchback options between the 4.0 – 5.5 lakh rupee growing segment are becoming innumerable. Good news is, the Indian customer is spoilt for choice, but again, what is the USP or key buying point? One of the most substantial differentiators in the market today is the styling. Then, if a diesel engine is available. Next, quality and lastly, the level of kit. The Beat has three differentiators : A trendy design, compliant ride and ARAI topping fuel efficiency.

The Spark has taught GM a thing or two about the Indian hatchback market. In November, it sold 4,200 units! At the same time, the UVA's inability to click in the market offered a share of lessons as well. Fact is, the UVA was an entirely lackluster car, while the Beat is anything but. The Spark looks cute and is fuel-efficient. Ditto with the Beat. GM has bragging rights with the ARAI numbers (18.6 kpl) that “beat” that of the Ritz (17.7 kpl).

The Beat has been designed by GM Daewoo (South Korea) and is based on the M300 platform (the Matiz was based on the M100 platform, the Spark M200). A competitive advantage that the Beat doesn’t have yet is a diesel engine. The market has made its ever increasing preference toward oil burner hatchbacks glaringly obvious; Chevy’s engine plant will be ready only by end 2010 which is when a diesel Beat is slated for launch. The Beat will be launched on the 4th of January, 2010 at the Auto Expo. I’m willing to bet that it will be priced a notch lower than the i10. Why do I think so? The absence of driver seat height adjustment, keyless entry and steering mounted controls on the top end hint toward a price war.

GTO, I think this chart needs modification for i10 kerb weight and Power to weight figures. Already many people have pointed-out that I10 1.2 is higher weight than 860 Kgs as mentioned and for source you can see Auto Car January edition (comparions between Beat1.2 Vs i10 1.2 Kappa) where you can find the Kerb wt for i10 1.2L.

I think now its established fact that Swift is the peppiest in sub 4 lakh segment while this chart still shows i10 Kappa at 92 BHP/tonne having better power/Weight ratio than swift 89BHP/tonne.
Old 10th January 2010, 08:41   #251

I went to the showroom, did not get a TD, will try again today. But the first impression is that styling though unique and fresh, is not too pleasing to the eye ( probably because of the different proportions compared to what we are used to ). Maybe I will start liking it over time.

I am in the market for a hatch mostly for city driving ( to replace my Santro ). Between i10 kappa, Ritz and Beat, whats the take on the forum? The thing going for the Chevy is that I have owned a Maruti and a Hyundai before But, on a serious note, is the poor visibility ( both driving and reversing ) of Beat something that should make me think of other cars ?
Old 11th January 2010, 12:17   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
GTO, I think this chart needs modification for i10 kerb weight and Power to weight figures. Already many people have pointed-out that I10 1.2 is higher weight than 860 Kgs as mentioned and for source you can see Auto Car January edition (comparions between Beat1.2 Vs i10 1.2 Kappa) where you can find the Kerb wt for i10 1.2L.

I think now its established fact that Swift is the peppiest in sub 4 lakh segment while this chart still shows i10 Kappa at 92 BHP/tonne having better power/Weight ratio than swift 89BHP/tonne.
@anu21v: Got this confirmed from someone in Hyundai itself. 935 kgs is the kerb weight of the i10 Kappa Asta which has additional accessories like the Sunroof etc. The Kappa Magna does indeed weigh 860 kgs which is the same as the 1.1 IRDE . Autocar must have taken the weight of the Asta in their comparo. Hope this clears things.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:53   #253
sab

fresh new look

thanks for the great review GTO. Like some other members on this forum, I also thought it to be a 2 door hatchback. Overall, I think it has a fresh new look that will help them stand out in the crowd.

cheers,
sab
Old 11th January 2010, 12:56   #254
Team-BHP Support

Saw the car, overall good fit and finish. Build seems to be better compared to Japs (no surprise here), even the body panel felt tougher and thicker. Boot is the only concern, but the split seat is a boon.

Waiting for RTO approval and testdrive, that will decide if we buy or not.
Old 11th January 2010, 13:16   #255
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review GTO, i like that you put more pics than text

I think GM has winner at it hand, this car could really take GM to next level in Indian market. The 3 year service thing is really good initiative and negate the Maruti's biggest strength of cheap service. One of my friend bought spark over A-star only because of this.
Even the engine with 108nm of torque should be good for city.
what is ARAI certified FE for beat ?

Most Viewed