Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2010, 01:44   #316
BANNED

so, what is the waiting period for Beat in delhi after booking, is it about 15 days or a week. IN gurgaon i was told it can take anywhere between 15 to 30 days. i thought it would be like 4 to 5 days at the max. Do you really think its in demand or its just dealers trying to fake it. i am planning to book LT option pack by first week of Feb. I am a bit confused between blue or the green color.
Old 24th January 2010, 01:57   #317
Senior - BHPian

@azharace: I am no tire expert. Nikhil has best idea and with the calculations 185/60R14 was his choice with C drives 175/65 will be big.

I agree with GTO with everything he said, however here is my view of TD (remember I am reviewing this car for my mother and is the 3rd car in the family after CityZX Vtec 07 and Indica V2 02),

Choice of cars: i10/Ritz/Beat/Spark.

Mum did not like Ritz rear and we are not too serious about Spark for it is aging platform.

I registered for TD of i10, Ritz and Beat on 01/20.

1. Interaction with Sales team:

Hyundai: They never bothered to call back/arrange for TD. I visited the showroom alone but there was no car available for TD. The dealership sales team was not eager to attend as well. They say its a tried and tested vehicle and you can buy without TD. I am not too happy with their approach.

My friend has one and he was very fine that Mum could TD it anytime. So no more going back to the dealership least not this one for sure.

Maruti: They were the first one to return the answer to email, but I think it was an automated response rather than a person writing back. Slow to callback. They call on 01/22 and say Demo vehicle was crashed and is under repair. I wanted to see the VXI variant, but it was out of stock and they can only show me one before it is delivered to someone, meaning I have to be early to showroom and without drive again choose the vehicle can only see the interiors before PDI. Huh!!! Again atleast 1+ month waiting for delivery. The caller on the other hand did not understand English and put me on hold to inquire about everything from her boss. All in all no TD, but can see the interiors and check the quality.

Chevy: First to call back the next morning 01/21. Courteous call center employee who was only there to fix the dealer near our home and nothing more. The conversation was crisp and factual.

01/21 The dealer sales rep calls and is eager to fix up the TD the same day again not too hyper. Nicely she books a convenient time on 01/22 and does not turn up. However, she apologized profusely in sms slang and again fixes up time on 01/23 and reaches perfectly on time. She again apologizes to mother and we are off for a TD.

The cars:
i10 Kappa: on 01/22; Nice interiors with already numerous iterations on road. Exteriors are nice but nothing striking. Nice gear position and steering, EPS is very light. Mum liked it but I somehow like HPS better, dont like the EPS even in Vtec. Ride is bouncy at rear and the legroom is not that great. Remember this is my friends city chariot and he has done few ICE mods in the boot. Unusable boot. He rips the engine (10k kms done already) on NH8 and Mum is uncomfortable on those speeds stilling back. Also she remarked the car has more floating ride than Indica/Vtec. She drives and she revvvs n revvvs hard, I do not rip it as much as she does. But has a grin on her face though she complains about engine noise. Breaking is okish but not to her liking, also the engine breaking is not comparable to diesel engine. I sometimes wonder if I have converted my mother to be a petrohead or the other way around. The doors she says are light and beige not a necessity.

Ritz LXI/VXI/ZXI: on 01/22; The vehicle was still in contention even after the attitude with dealership as I was telling her all about the reviews from TBHP and K12 engine, I was disappointed with the quality, certainly not match to Kappa's. Wish Maruti understands that cars are not meant for 2 years but at-least 5 years. The plastics even though dual tone were not great. Mum already has prejudice against Maruti's (2+ years khadakti (rattling) image, we had 3 Marutis earlier[800/zen/esteem]). Even though the build quality has improved but still not worthy, IMHO MASS saves the cars else these wont last much. So no TD, nice engine (I trust TBHP) but average build quality. Mum also didn't like the rear. The bumper design makes it look even wider than it actually is. Boot was nice/back tray was petty.

Beat: on 01/23; The Cocktail Green car arrives and Mum has a smile, she likes the external rear profile too, Start the engine and it is silent, was idling at 750/800rpm, I initially rip the car towards Manesar and I like the pickup and in gear acceleration, checked for various rpm range from 1500, then 2000, then 3000 and finally 4000 to 5000 wasnt able to go any further as I ran short of the highway (11 km one way). Took the U-turn from Toll plaza and gave it to Mum for ride. One thing that I would like to mention here is that Mum did not know I was doing 100+ and so no instruction from back seat Nice NVH I must say, tire sound does filter in but the adjacent vehicles sound was minimal. Sorry cant draw comparison with Ritz but this was better than i10. Also the ride in back seat, Mum did not complain, she was ok with the back bench incline, the lower seat could have been on an angle so provide better seating.

Mum starts driving and she doesnt adjust Tilt steering she likes my position of steering (maybe she was not aware), she liked the small steering and weighted feeling of this HPS better than EPS on i10, however she is not a fan of having horn in the middle(its a matter of getting use to), she rips, always keeping the engine above 3k, I check her from back seat and she shifts to higher gear, remarking she did not feel the need or that she did not hear the engine shout, she drives the Vtec and can make out the Vtec in play here no Vtec so I think she will redline this more than Vtec. She likes the seats (she is medium built 5.5 ft) but again she asks me how did I fit in those seats, I am 6 and even though the I could feel the side bolstering I was not uncomfortable as the cushioning is good/better than i10 again (i10 has good seats) this one is a bit smaller but better. She does some sharp turns and also breaks (I forgot to check breaks). Nice bite and she finds it good.
ACC is very nice feature, Nice readable displays in the afternoon sun (today was nice sunny day in Gurgaon), minimal reflection from dash. Again Okish HU output but I will say its only due to the speakers, though I did not pump up to max (forgot the calbe for Aux in for iPod at home, others please check if the HU is iPod compatible, Thanks!). For average user/first time car buyers I will recommend this over aftermarket. For 6 ft person the rear bench is okish, thighsupport was minimal, Spark has better seats, also the curve on the rear bench makes it smaller, ample for two adults with a toddler. I can speak of NCR and for that I think rear windows are good, good that you wont get sunburn and less greenhouse effect, add sun film and I think I can work on my laptop all day long without glare. Ride is way better than i10 and legroom is great. Boot has a light but smaller to other cars.

Rear view mirror adjustment for me was not good, its too low on the windscreen and obstructs some view of the road ahead, ORVMs are odd share as only half is usable and other half slops down making it useless. For Mum she had no complains, I think this is done for shorter drivers and no seat adjust.

As everyone remarked, there is hint of bodyroll but that is not something that might turnoff someone from to take nice cornering speeds. Suspension are soft but make the noise, also the TD vehicle (380 on odo) had some sound constantly coming from the front right suspension when Mum drove that I think is because Mum was trying to pickup the accelerations at far lower rpm range and the engine was lugging. Then again while at speed the sound came with uneven surface, the driver said maybe inspection was not done completely. I would like others to check the suspensions please.

Once we came back, I did a complete check of the engine bay, nicely laid bay, though I think the battery was smaller than Indica's and that of Vtec. Please comment. The quality of wiring and fluid containers were better than Ritz, less solid plastics, I think over time these will also cloud, harden and then crack as in Indica.

Fuel filler is meant for smaller nozzle and I think many filling attendants will scratch the paint work if not focusing. But nice thing is that it is on the driver side. I did not pay attention to this detail in Ritz and i10. Rear wiper is nice and covers good area, not gimmicky, front wipers also cleaned a lot of area and the late last wipe is nice to keep the dripping stream, I did not check the intermediate level. Did not check it on Ritz and i10 either.

Nice quality of rubber beading, and dashboard plastics. Ergonomic design of center console, for 6 ft person you can find your position well and also the left knee wont hurt. Front co-passanger has less space to park the left foot(its on a curve).

Final note: Beat is VFM for city drives also relaxed highway car, boot will restrict the carrying capacity but nice rear seat ride. Nice engine I do not see Mother revving it past 5k where it does develop a grunt and is not too smooth. As enthusiast I find the car to be great for the price package. GM do not change the pricing if you want numbers, Hyundai and Maruti will give discounts if they want to curtail GM else this car is sure success for the company and has huge potential to be best seller.

I will update you about the color choice most probably White but today Mum liked Green too. We have not see white in person.

Hope this long winded review also helps with viewpoint mainly of a lady driver looking for a city car. Do ask me if you wish to know something in detail or if I have skipped something.

Cheers!
Old 24th January 2010, 02:29   #318
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprodigy View Post
thanks azharace.
as for the tyres both the sizes 175/65R14 or 185/60R14 sound very good, but I would personally prefer the 185/60R14 (although wide enough) for better looks and stability i may to sacrifice on FE a little bit though. Since the car already has apollo acelre so I'll get the new ones from apollo as well so that I can get a good exchange on existing one's. I will have to check that they fit well on the steel wheels.
hey, congrats on booking the beat in black, i too would be booking it by first week of feb. if you exchange the stock apollo tyres for apollo only, do you think you'll get a better price for them. As i've been told by some T-bhpians that i wont get a great price for the stock tyres as the size is unique to beat only. So do tell me how much are you getting for the stock tyres, if its really worth it, i might drop the idea to go in for yoko's and might go in for apollo. You can continue the beat tyre upgrade discussion in the thread i have opened for "Beat tyre upgrades".
Old 24th January 2010, 17:35   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
A dummy sensor in the Indian variant:

This is actually the theft deterrent LED which keeps blinking after locking the doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-chevy_beat_09.jpg  

Old 24th January 2010, 18:13   #320
BHPian

@-Slayer87
thanks a lot bro. regarding tyres I have been very busy this week and weeknd as well and will start my search tomorrow and will update you on the price and deal I can find in the market. I agree the tyre size is unique to beat so its a bit tough to find a deal and thts why I'm hopeful to get smth from apollo itself. Reliance carzone in Ambience was willing to pay 1800+175 for Tyre+rim each and tomorrow I'll check with apollo guys.
Waiting period for beat here in Gurgaon is 15-20 days for black and white color and 45 days for other metallic colors and I was told if you pay all cash then u can manage to get a little early.
I think that the car is in good demand as they had quite a few bookings I could figure out from the booking dairy and these guys are busy with giving TD's. I have been told 20 days to get the delivery. As for color its a very personal choice I love both black and white and reason for black was that the silver roof rails which looked odd on other colors looked great only on black. I was lucky to see all the colors on the vist to showroom including the black LT and LS variants I must say if budget is not a constraint go for LT option it has a few things that you will love to have in your car and they enhance the look on interior and exterior.
Old 24th January 2010, 18:54   #321
BHPian

@-Sniper
which dealer did you go to. Apex or Aravali Auto. I think Apex do not have the Beat yet and Aravali told me they have only the red LS for TD's. Just want to make sure its a TD vehicle and not a customer vehicle being used for TD's.
The way you described the sales person being profusely apologetic I think you got it from Aravali IDC.
Old 24th January 2010, 19:00   #322

LT or LT(O)

The waiting period in Delhi is a month. 2 weeks back the waiting was 12 days. I'm going to book the blue color - LT or maybe the LT(O).

I like the design, it certainly much better than the i10. The dash is on the higher side and yes short drivers might have a problem. Not me - I'm 6+. The speakers will have to be changed. Overall the car looks more personal than the Ritz. Beat will be my replacement for the Xing.

Just cant make up my mind on LT or LT(O). On one hand I am thinking with LT I can change the tyre as is being recomended and get alloys put. With (O) I'm not so sure that the chevy alloys can be placed in the new tyres - 175/65 R14. Also which tyres should I pick up if I do change? Help required here? Plus in the (O) u-ve got air bags - not that there is too much highway travel - but my folks want it. I think it cam be avoided and the money can go in the speakers. But then there is ABS as well in (O)- does that really help?
I would like some feedback on whether one should go for LT (I will put alloys and maybe change tyre) or LT(O) - If I change the tyre will the chevy alloys fit. If not then its a waste..
What say??
Old 24th January 2010, 22:45   #323
Senior - BHPian

@vprodigy: It was Aravali with Green car. Apex did not have the car. How did white look? I did not get time to visit showroom. I can't imagine the TD vehicle was a customer car as it was not that clean but it did not have any demo marking as well. I do not think a customer will take delivery with 400 odd on odo. My TD alone was 22kms.

I might go with White as I see it has potential to add with carbon fiber components and nice black lower grill with maybe black alloys/the oem steel wheels colored black. Anyone fancy the Photoshop work here

@LedZep: I did not feel the need for ABS, the bite is very affirmative. I also did not like the standard alloys, the car is nice to have better ones. I will go in with LT.

Does everyone here recommend ABS and Airbag for city driving?

Guys: Please also add your comparisons of the car wrt your choice of competition. That will help me plonk money upfront. Thanks!
Old 24th January 2010, 22:51   #324
Senior - BHPian

ledzep - please do not equate speakers with ABS+Airbags. The latter might save your life someday.

sn1p3r - did you try braking (in a wet road/road covered with dust/sand) and steer away at the same time? The brakes might lock and the car shall then skid and go out of control.

Last edited by blackasta : 24th January 2010 at 22:55.
Old 25th January 2010, 00:39   #325
Senior - BHPian

@blackasta: At what speeds? 10-20 city or 80+ highways? Also during monsoons Delhi's average traffic speed is all but fast. I agree that speakers not comparable to ABS but I do not feel the need of the Option package on Beat, maybe its the way I foresee the driving conditions.
Old 25th January 2010, 00:44   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
@blackasta: At what speeds? 10-20 city or 80+ highways? Also during monsoons Delhi's average traffic speed is all but fast. I agree that speakers not comparable to ABS but I do not feel the need of the Option package on Beat, maybe its the way I foresee the driving conditions.
40-50 is enough to make a car w/o ABS skid if the conditions are ideal.
I speak for ABS especially because I guess it has saved my car (and maybe my life) for 3-4 times. If you do strictly city rounds, then ABS+Airbags is as chevy says - 'optional'.
Old 25th January 2010, 01:10   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
ledzep - please do not equate speakers with ABS+Airbags. The latter might save your life someday.

sn1p3r - did you try braking (in a wet road/road covered with dust/sand) and steer away at the same time? The brakes might lock and the car shall then skid and go out of control.

I agree safety is vital. However none of the cars I have ever driven have had ABS or Airbag. I also have the Optra which has neither. The other issuue here - In the Optional pack, will the company fitted alloys fit in the tyers I plan to upgrade? 175/65R14. If not then thats a waste right. I will spend extra for new tyres and alloys. That was my point earlier that new tryes + alloys + speakers will cost me right. Please do tell me abt the company alloys on the new tyres...
Old 25th January 2010, 02:10   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedZep View Post
I agree safety is vital. However none of the cars I have ever driven have had ABS or Airbag. I also have the Optra which has neither. The other issuue here - In the Optional pack, will the company fitted alloys fit in the tyers I plan to upgrade? 175/65R14. If not then thats a waste right. I will spend extra for new tyres and alloys. That was my point earlier that new tryes + alloys + speakers will cost me right. Please do tell me abt the company alloys on the new tyres...
It depends on the rim width.
If chevy provides a 5.5J rim on the beat for 155/70R14 tires (which is unlikely), you can upgrade to 175/65R14 on the stock rims. If not, you have to get aftermarket rims which are wider for new tires.
Old 25th January 2010, 07:47   #329
BHPian

@-Sniper
white looked great...better than any other colors but when you have to choose between black and white you just can't resist the black color. black on LT/LTO looks great.
@-ledzep
ABS airbags don't make a lot of sense if you are driving within city its a must for highway travel but you never know they can save your life some day.
Old 25th January 2010, 13:52   #330
Senior - BHPian

Confused

Guys, I have never bought a GM product so can someone give an overview of the cost of spares and comparison of service charges etc. with respect to Maruti/Hyundai.

Also, I read the following article in Mint: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-note.jpg

I am having second thought after reading this :( but still think that for 5+ years ownership this should not be a very big deterrent. I am confused.

Most Viewed