Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2011, 22:54   #2041
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

@Salbin. You seem to be rocking the beat. Quite literally. Great set up there. We have to meet up some time soon.
Old 12th September 2011, 01:05   #2042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
@Salbin. You seem to be rocking the beat. Quite literally. Great set up there. We have to meet up some time soon.
Sure.. we will meet very soon.
OT: Are you in for the training session organized by Ford for Bangalore Team-BHPians?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...18th-sept.html
Even though I could not get a seat, I thought of going there as I can meet lot of T-BHPians there.

Just finished 2 activities today:
- Illuminated door sills for the front doors.
- Relay for the DRLs(to turn off the DRLs when the head lights/parking lights are turned on)
Here are some low quality pics taken using my mobile cam:

Unboxing:
@white-rabbit: even though I bought from a different ebay seller, the item is exactly the same as yours!
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-10092011241.jpg

Used "quick splice connectors" for connecting the wires without cutting the original wires.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-11092011242.jpg

Got the quick splice connector from a near-by auto shop. 10 nos - Rs.10/. It comes with the remote lock kits and most of the installers dont use it - instead, they cut the wires and join. So the shop guy picked it for me from his junk box!
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-12092011246.jpg

Finally.. illuminated!
(I have done only front doors. Laid the wires for all the 4 doors and boot)
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-11092011244.jpg

This is the relay (12V SPDT) installed under the steering column for the DRLs.
Now my DRLs are proper DRLs - DRLs gets on when the ignition is on and gets off when the head lights/parking lights are switched on.
The reason for putting the relay is because of the 6000K white colour temperature of the LEDs does not match with the yellow light of HLs/Parking Lights/Fog Lamp. Also routed the DRL wires properly using wire clips and 3M double sided tape.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-11092011245.jpg

Last edited by salbin : 12th September 2011 at 01:08. Reason: edit
Old 12th September 2011, 11:00   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Used "quick splice connectors" for connectin the wires without cutting the original wires.

Got the quick splice connector from a near-by auto shop. 10 nos - Rs.10/. It comes with the remote lock kits and most of the installers dont use it - instead, they cut the wires and join. So the shop guy picked it for me from his junk box!
Nice idea, heard of this stuff but never seen it before. Had a hard time when installing the security system as the installer was cutting the wires without any mercy and I was told that there's no such thing coming along with the kit

Quote:
Finally.. illuminated!
Very neat and decent finish, now your ride looks more hot with these illuminated plates.

Quote:
BTW, cover the open terminal with a tape, I guess you've wired in such a way that when the HLs are on the power to the DRLs will be by passed to the open terminal which will be active at this time. I know you've taken enough care not to dangle and causing any issues, to be on the safer side this will be an added safety.

Quote:
Now my DRLs are proper DRLs - DRLs gets on when the ignition is on and gets off when the head lights/parking lights are switched on.

The reason for putting the relay is because of the 6000K white colour temperature of the LEDs does not match with the yellow light of HLs/Parking Lights/Fog Lamp. Also routed the DRL wires properly using wire clips and 3M double sided tape.
Salbin, I guess you've forgotten the DRLs functionality, it surely adds more spice to the appeal but when it comes to safety factor, it should light up when the HLs are on or at least along with the parking lights. AFAIK, DRLs will be more effective in terms of safety during fogs, rain and most importantly twilight periods where our visibility become dull and can be easily distracted by other lights. These DRLs will catch the attention of the on coming driver and take necessary steps in case he's not yet seen you.

There's a specific thread on this, will give you some insights about this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...eadlights.html

BTW, Have you got the 6000K SMD parking lights from dealextream? It will surely match with the DRLs. Have a try.

Last edited by sajjt : 12th September 2011 at 11:01.
Old 12th September 2011, 19:01   #2044
BHPian

Here is my sill plates in daytime.Sorry for the low quality pics.My home internet is down.I am uploading it from mobile.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-scuff-blue.jpg  

Old 12th September 2011, 19:05   #2045
BHPian

I found these sill at Reliance auto zone.I felt the pricing at reliance auto zone is reasonable.

These sills are made of plastics
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-scuff.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-t5.jpg  

Old 12th September 2011, 19:12   #2046
BHPian

And finally,I received my DRL today.Here is some pics.
This is again,a DIY
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-drl1.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-drl2.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-drl3.jpg  

Last edited by white-rabbit : 12th September 2011 at 19:22.
Old 12th September 2011, 19:21   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
OT: Are you in for the training session organized by Ford for Bangalore Team-BHPians?
Even though I could not get a seat, I thought of going there as I can meet lot of T-BHPians there.

- Relay for the DRLs(to turn off the DRLs when the head lights/parking lights are turned on)

Unboxing:
@white-rabbit: even though I bought from a different ebay seller, the item is exactly the same as yours!
Attachment 607998

Used "quick splice connectors" for connecting the wires without cutting the original wires.
Attachment 607999

Attachment 608000

Finally.. illuminated!
Attachment 608001

Attachment 608002
@salbinid you face the same issue what I faced(About sill plates illuminating when any other door is also open)?Did you fin out what is the issue?
Old 12th September 2011, 19:28   #2048
BHPian

Guys,This is my odo reading after a fulltank(auto cutoff) and ecu remapping to original settings.I feel something is terribly wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-t1.jpg  

Old 12th September 2011, 21:15   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
@salbinid you face the same issue what I faced(About sill plates illuminating when any other door is also open)?Did you fin out what is the issue?
You guys must have connected the power from the door ajar switch which is common to all 5. I guess your hatch light too will be on with any of the door open position, right?

BTW, whats the price of the sill plates of yours and Reliance? It doensn't look good due to the feel of plastic.

Last edited by sajjt : 12th September 2011 at 21:18.
Old 12th September 2011, 21:26   #2050
BHPian

Quote:

Unboxing:
Attachment 607998

Attachment 607999

Attachment 608000

Finally.. illuminated!
Attachment 608001

Attachment 608002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
You guys must have connected the power from the door ajar switch which is common to all 5. I guess your hatch light too will be on with any of the door open position, right?.
No.The issue was with the left front door and right rear door.The other two doors are working just fine.But for the above two,if we open any door,those will illuminate.We couldnt find out the issue.

Quote:
BTW, whats the price of the sill plates of yours and Reliance? It doensn't look good due to the feel of plastic.
I payes 1499+100 from ebay.The reliance one was not so good looking and it is written 'Chevrolet' not 'BEAT' .Sorry I dont remember the price exactly.My friend bought One set for his Alto.It is not an illuminated one.MRP was 449,but reliance's price was 249.And the plastic one had only two sillplates in the box.The steel ones are looking cool
Old 12th September 2011, 21:57   #2051
BHPian

Quote:
No.The issue was with the left front door and right rear door.The other two doors are working just fine.But for the above two,if we open any door,those will illuminate.We couldnt find out the issue.
So that means its got separate switches for each door or any other circuit to isolate each door signal. Can you elaborate it? I have something in my mind to go for a custom door ajar indicator for each door. Now if any of the doors are not properly closed, I've to see all the doors individually. A separate circuit and indicator rules out this trial. Hence the query.

Quote:
I payes 1499+100 from ebay.The reliance one was not so good looking and it is written 'Chevrolet' not 'BEAT' .Sorry I dont remember the price exactly.My friend bought One set for his Alto.It is not an illuminated one.MRP was 449,but reliance's price was 249.And the plastic one had only two sillplates in the box.The steel ones are looking cool
Defnitely the steel ones are the best looking one than the plastic
Old 12th September 2011, 23:09   #2052
BHPian

Quote:
Had a hard time when installing the security system as the installer was cutting the wires without any mercy and I was told that there's no such thing coming along with the kit
Same thing happened with me also when I installed the remote lock. I saw this connector only after the wires were cut by the installer. So I just picked it and and was lying in the glove box. I was able to show it as a sample to the accessory shop guy.

Quote:
BTW, cover the open terminal with a tape, I guess you've wired in such a way that when the HLs are on the power to the DRLs will be by passed to the open terminal which will be active at this time.
Thanks.. Good that you pointed-out this. I had missed this during the install. I will be doing it tomorrow itself.

Quote:
Salbin, I guess you've forgotten the DRLs functionality, it surely adds more spice to the appeal but when it comes to safety factor, it should light up when the HLs are on or at least along with the parking lights.
Not exactly..
Most of the branded DRLs like Hella, Philips etc come with a relay module which does the same function as mine.
Some are having a selector switch to select between auto-off or dimmer when the head lights/parking lights are switched on. Most of the OEMs are having this feature.
The reason is these DRLs are really bright, pointed slightly upwards and also scatters the light to all the directions compared to the head lights/parking lights, which is not good for the oncoming traffic during night.
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-hella.jpg
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-philips.jpg

Quote:
I found these sill at Reliance auto zone.I felt the pricing at reliance auto zone is reasonable.
These sills are made of plastics
What is the price?
Had been there 2 weeks back, but could not locate it.

Quote:
That is because the driver side door is separately connected to the control module to have the feature of parking lights turn off when you open the driver side door. You can see 2 wires connected to the passenger side door switch in the picture. So.. it is quite normal.
Old 13th September 2011, 00:31   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
Not exactly..
Most of the branded DRLs like Hella, Philips etc come with a relay module which does the same function as mine.
Some are having a selector switch to select between auto-off or dimmer when the head lights/parking lights are switched on. Most of the OEMs are having this feature.
The reason is these DRLs are really bright, pointed slightly upwards and also scatters the light to all the directions compared to the head lights/parking lights, which is not good for the oncoming traffic during night.
Point noted, but one question, how can we compare the performance of a reputed brand like Hella & Philips with a cheap Chinese DRLs? I think its out of comparison in brightness and performance as these reputed kits are consists of high power LEDs with better optics and if you observe closely our kits having a very small LEDs and they are not as bright as the former ones. Take the luxury cars like Audi, BMW etc. are always glowing the DRLs all the time, but there's some dimmer option just because they are so powerful LEDs which can easily blind others in full power at night time. You can not even look at them with naked eyes closely because of its sheer brightness, but I can look into our DRLs without any strain.

So I dont think these low cost DRLs it will annoy the on coming traffic at night as there are more powerful lights in the HL which can blind others
Old 13th September 2011, 13:46   #2054
Senior - BHPian

Good install guys. Just one thing about the illuminated sill plates. I believe they void warranty, especially if the wires are cut. But in case of Salbin, i think he is safe.

I am also trying to take some time to upload the stuff I have done for my Beat. List includes, centre arm rest console with storage (DIY), interior dome light 48 LED type (DIY as it would not fit, so had to do some adjustments), the best of all, Smoking my Taillights using Nightshade (DIY), Changing all bulbs wit the headlights to Crystal Vision and the fogs to another brand, which is around 4000k, installed transparent door, bumper, mirror guards all around, extended AUX in port for rear seat use and Tomo Headrests (These are amazing headrests, though a tad bit expensive abd believe it is made by Fouring). Will upload pics soon.

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 13th September 2011 at 13:50.
Old 13th September 2011, 15:04   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Good install guys. Just one thing about the illuminated sill plates. I believe they void warranty, especially if the wires are cut. But in case of Salbin, i think he is safe.

I am also trying to take some time to upload the stuff I have done for my Beat. List includes, centre arm rest console with storage (DIY), interior dome light 48 LED type (DIY as it would not fit, so had to do some adjustments), the best of all, Smoking my Taillights using Nightshade (DIY), Changing all bulbs wit the headlights to Crystal Vision and the fogs to another brand, which is around 4000k, installed transparent door, bumper, mirror guards all around, extended AUX in port for rear seat use and Tomo Headrests (These are amazing headrests, though a tad bit expensive abd believe it is made by Fouring). Will upload pics soon.
we didnt cut the wires to connect sill plate.What i did was,connected a seperate wire to a ACC(auto cop's ) and drew from right front door through right back door and under the rear seat to left back door till left front door.Then I connected the negatives to door ajar switched.I didnt even touch any company wiring.It is very easy to disconnect also.
Planning to install DRL in this weekend.Hard to find original 3M tapes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks