Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 22:28   #2026
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Has anyone installed a K&N filter in the Beat?.Do let me know what all should we take care while installing it.
Old 7th September 2011, 01:02   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
The damage was 15K including installation.
Mine doesn't rattle, may be because of the enclosure design. It gives a good tight bass compared to the bass reflex systems.
I think yours will be a vented enclosure right? Is it 12" sub?
Have you identified the source of rattle? Is it the hatch door or the plastic panel on the side of the boot?
IMO it is better to identify the source of rattle and then try correcting it. Just adding damping to every panel will be a costly affair. Since you are a DIY-er, you can try for a DIY with some kind of rubber/foam mats. I remember reading a thread in T-BHP on low cost DIY damping.
15K is still on the higher side atleast for me, am too happy with my current 12" JBL. No its not vented, a closed one with 2" custom made MDF walls with polyfills.

There's rattling sound if I push the volume to the limits which happens very rare hence I didnt wasted my time to find out.

I dont think that any rubber/foam mats will give the damping effect as it wont add any weight to it, the damping material is having aluminium foil sandwitched between the foams, hence its reducing the resonance vibration by its weight. If this were considered to be a low cost damping materials then all our DIYers would've stick to it already. Its just a suggestion that may reduce the vibrations to an extent.

Anyways nice setup, would love to have an audition next time when you are in home town

Last edited by sajjt : 7th September 2011 at 01:04.
Old 7th September 2011, 09:31   #2028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Has anyone installed a K&N filter in the Beat?.Do let me know what all should we take care while installing it.

There is a video on this on youtube, just that the guy is revving the engine, nothing much to be honest, but gives you a good idea on how the car would sound
Old 7th September 2011, 18:53   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
@ariendj:
Definitely I am enjoying the thump!!
Here comes the pics of my Infinity Basslink amplified sub set-up.
Attachment 604797
The pack contains all the wires except for the power wire and fuse.
Horizontal and vertical mounting are possible. Supplied with both the set of mounting brackets.
Attachment 604798
It is fixed on the LH side of the boot. The spare wheel is slightly offset towards the RH side. So the space is just enough to fix the Basslink.
Attachment 604799
This will give an idea about the space consumed.
Attachment 604800
Pic from inside:
Attachment 604801
A closer view:
Attachment 604802
A 11" x 18" wooden plank was made and fixed to the boot. Basslink mounting brackets mounted to the wooden plank.
Attachment 604803
This will give an idea about the space left-out on the other side. The system has a 10" subwoofer and a 10" passive radiator on the other side. The technology is different from the bass reflex type enclosures(with vent holes). So the enclosure is air tight to drive the passive radiators.
Attachment 604804
The amp rating is is 200W rms. It has got controls for the Gain, Cross-over and Bass boost. Cooling fins on the amplifier side.
Attachment 604805
Seats folded flat..
Attachment 604806
This will give an idea about the space between the seat and the rear body panel. Fits perfectly without touching on either sides.
Attachment 604807
There is a wired remote bass level control knob. I have not fixed it in the dash. Will do it later only if necessary.
Attachment 604808
Another view with parcel tray.
Attachment 604809
Fuse kept closer to the battery. The wiring is very simple - Only power wire is drawn from the front. Since it got auto on/off feature with speaker level inputs, connecting to any OE system is very simple. This was one of the reason for selecting basslink. I can easily remove this myself and use for my next car upgrade.
Attachment 604810
The set-up was done from Sachin's Auto Shop, Koramangala. It was a nice experience dealing with them.
Congrats..Finally you did it.I cant wait to see this.

Last edited by white-rabbit : 7th September 2011 at 18:55.
Old 7th September 2011, 20:56   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
The data quoted by me are from trusted source.
Once I did a fuel efficiency test and drove Beat for 583 km out of which about 70% was Highway driving and 30 % City driving and have taken the photographs as soon as the tank emptied to the 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 marks. Total fuel consumption was 26.7 l, FE ~ 21.84 kmpl. The whole drive was without AC.

Trip meter set to 0 after full tank.
Attachment 604641
3/4 tank mark
Attachment 604635
1/2 tank mark
Attachment 604636
1/4 tank mark
Attachment 604637
photograph taken as soon as the 4th bar disappeared
Attachment 604638

One more thing I would like to say whenever I filled the petrol, after the warning lamp statred blinking, the tank never took up more than 31 litres.
Please,did you stop filling at auto cutoff or did you do to-up to fill more?
Old 8th September 2011, 13:53   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
There is a video on this on Youtube, just that the guy is revving the engine, nothing much to be honest, but gives you a good idea on how the car would sound
Yea i have found the video.. K & N hasn't come with the Beat filter yet.. I think the filter which he has installed will be the right fit..
Old 9th September 2011, 11:24   #2032
BHPian

@salbin, I have been following your ownership thread since long. I must say you have carried out impressive mods in your Beat right from the alloys, speakers upgrade, tail light smoking, DRLs and know very neatly fitted sub-woofers. Great job buddy and thanks for providing detailed explanation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Please,did you stop filling at auto cutoff or did you do to-up to fill more?
I always fill upto the autocut. Initially I tried different bunks and conducted quantity and quality tests at each bunk and identified the best bunk with best petrol. I always fill regular petrol from the same dispenser of this bunk. Whenever I go outstation I prefer COCO pumps.
Old 9th September 2011, 23:14   #2033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
@salbin, I have been following your ownership thread since long. I must say you have carried out impressive mods in your Beat right from the alloys, speakers upgrade, tail light smoking, DRLs and know very neatly fitted sub-woofers. Great job buddy and thanks for providing detailed explanation too.
Next mod coming up..
Illuminated door sills!!
Just ordered it from ebay.
Will be doing a DIY install.
Old 10th September 2011, 11:22   #2034
BHPian

Quote:
Next mod coming up..
Illuminated door sills!!
Way to go Salbin!!
My next mod will be smoked lamps! and it will be a DIY!
Thanks a ton for your detailed guide on it. I will follow the same!
Old 10th September 2011, 13:26   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Next mod coming up..
Illuminated door sills!!
So i also got a follower
Old 10th September 2011, 17:33   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Way to go Salbin!!
My next mod will be smoked lamps! and it will be a DIY!
Thanks a ton for your detailed guide on it. I will follow the same!
Great!!
In your case, it will match perfectly with the black alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post

So i also got a follower
You are my inspiration for the illuminated door sills.
It was nice working with you for the DIY install.
Old 11th September 2011, 10:37   #2037
BHPian

Finally, my DRLs got installed... It was done by a leading car zone in Trivandrum city. But while going there, unexpectedly i had changed the front speakers too.. Here goe the split ups.

JBL CS-4 4" coaxial speakers - Rs. 1690/-
Wire Mesh for speakers(2 pcs) - Rs. 300/-
DRL installation Charge - Rs. 250/-

Total it will come to around 2300/-. As the shop owner is my brother's friend, we got a discount of Rs.500/- and the figure comes around Rs. 1800/- only.

Planned to get custom seat covers within two days as this shop is specialized in seat covers and alloy wheels and was told that he can give us the seat covers with a considerable margin... Lets see...

BTW, will post the pictures of my DRLs soon...
Old 11th September 2011, 12:01   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekm85 View Post
Finally, my DRLs got installed... It was done by a leading car zone in Trivandrum city. But while going there, unexpectedly i had changed the front speakers too.. Here goe the split ups.

JBL CS-4 4" coaxial speakers - Rs. 1690/-
Wire Mesh for speakers(2 pcs) - Rs. 300/-
DRL installation Charge - Rs. 250/-

Total it will come to around 2300/-. As the shop owner is my brother's friend, we got a discount of Rs.500/- and the figure comes around Rs. 1800/- only.
Why do you need speaker grills for front speakers? CS 4" coming with a pair of speaker grills along with the speakers and how it can be fitted to stock position? Speakers will cost max of 1400/ (B&W) here from dealers and the labour cost for installation of DRLs is very much justifiable for 250/- as the whole front bumper has to be removed to install it properly.

BTW, did you connected it to park lights or to the ign wire to lightup all the time?
Old 11th September 2011, 12:25   #2039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Why do you need speaker grills for front speakers? CS 4" coming with a pair of speaker grills along with the speakers and how it can be fitted to stock position? Speakers will cost max of 1400/ (B&W) here from dealers and the labour cost for installation of DRLs is very much justifiable for 250/- as the whole front bumper has to be removed to install it properly.

BTW, did you connected it to park lights or to the ign wire to light up all the time?
Sorry, as it is wire harness, not wire mesh. BTW, I didnt bought speaker grills and CS 4" is perfectly suiting for the front speaker position. And my pack of JBLs doesnt offer any speaker grills. The MRP of the packet is Rs. 1690/- but that guy reduced it to 1200/- for me and the wire harness reduced for 250 rs. The DRL installation charge remains the same.

BTW, i connected it to the park light as it is the most comfortable setting for me. And am thinking to remove my wooden box in rear where my rear JBLs are installed. And instead of that, it would be nice, if the speakers are fixed to a wooden tray in rear as am not installed any sub or bass tube so far. Any suggestions???

And what about the idea of turning the park lights to white light???

Last edited by vivekm85 : 11th September 2011 at 12:37.
Old 11th September 2011, 12:54   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekm85 View Post
Sorry, as it is wire harness, not wire mesh. BTW, I didnt bought speaker grills and CS 4" is perfectly suiting for the front speaker position. And my pack of JBLs doesnt offer any speaker grills. The MRP of the packet is Rs. 1690/- but that guy reduced it to 1200/- for me and the wire harness reduced for 250 rs. The DRL installation charge remains the same.

BTW, i connected it to the park light as it is the most comfortable setting for me. And am thinking to remove my wooden box in rear where my rear JBLs are installed. And instead of that, it would be nice, if the speakers are fixed to a wooden tray in rear as am not installed any sub or bass tube so far. Any suggestions???
Generally the speaker grills are coming along with the speakers except for sub, possibly your installer must have taken it just because you dont need it. Another doubt, what is the need of a wiring harness to drive a front speakers off the HU as its already wired by stock? I opted for a base model which doesn't have a HU but its already wired by stock. Being its driving from the HU, I don't think there's any need of wire upgrade. Or am I missing something?

Sealed enclosure will give you better tight bass than the free air type the one on the shelf placing. So if you are going to place it on the shelf rack, you will be disappointed by the lack of thump you are getting now. If you dont bother about the boot space then let be there for better sound and later once you decide to go for a Sub, you can consider sacrificing the tight bass from the 6X9.

Mee too connected the DRLs to the parking lights as its more suited for me than its running all the tim.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks