Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 02:12   #2866
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hi everybody
I have a Beat bought in may 2010.
I have less than 15000 on the odo(6000 km Leh,3000 Gurgaon and 3000 northwest Gujarat.
Last service(including oil change) was in november 2011 after which I have driven approx 4000 km
Subsequently it was checked at the dealers free check up camp and everything was ok.
My question is "Is it good for another 8000 kms on good to bad roads?"
I know things can go wrong but by and large what is the experience in the first 25000 kms.Any issues.
I am thinking of going on a long drive and as I travel alone any problem will be a big headache.As it is there service centers are few and far between.Nor are the parts available easily even at the A-S-S.
Safer and cheaper option would be to take a train/plane.But no charm in it.
Please advise.
Thanks and regards
Old 27th November 2012, 06:42   #2867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
I have a Beat bought in may 2010.
I have less than 15000 on the odo(6000 km Leh,3000 Gurgaon and 3000 northwest Gujarat.
Last service(including oil change) was in november 2011 after which I have driven approx 4000 km
Subsequently it was checked at the dealers free check up camp and everything was ok.
My question is "Is it good for another 8000 kms on good to bad roads?"
I know things can go wrong but by and large what is the experience in the first 25000 kms.Any issues.
I am thinking of going on a long drive and as I travel alone any problem will be a big headache.As it is there service centers are few and far between.Nor are the parts available easily even at the A-S-S.
Safer and cheaper option would be to take a train/plane.But no charm in it.
Please advise.
Thanks and regards
I have done 32,000 kms and I do not recall any issues which were a headache. Problems can be uninvited but precaution is the best cure. So would suggest you to check the basics like the wheels, oil levels, wheel alignment, pollen filter etc. The only so called issue I've had is the brake pads getting a little ineffective. This happened around at 22 k. I've had throttle cleaning done at 30,000 kms but that was after a abusive trip.

Please note throughout the car never let ever let me down. These were all precautionary measures taken by me. Brake pads were changed after Del-Mum-Del trip. Throttle cleaning and changing of pads was done on recommendation of A.S.S and maybe it was needed, maybe not but went ahead anyway.

To cut the confusion down to minimum the answer is No, My chevy has never let me down on any front which may cause driving discomfort and I suggest a car scan if you plan to go on a trip which may give you peace of mind.

Hope it helps!
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 00:59   #2868
BHPian

Abhishek
Hi
Thanks a lot for your reply.
As mentioned earlier the car was checked at a free checkup camp and everything was found to be OK.Since there has not been much of city driving the brake pads should be OK.Will definitely get them checked by the friendly neighborhood mechanic.
I would have sent it to the A.S.S but unfortunately they have closed down and Mortis had 2 bad experiences with the other one,so reluctant about them.
No doubt will get it serviced and rechecked enroute at 2/3 places.The service centers outside the main cities are very helpful and the icing on the cake it is gratis.
They did a thorough washing,checking and cleaning job at Pathankot,Chottorgarh and Srinagar.At all the places I offered to pay but they declined.A big thanks to them.
Regards
Old 28th November 2012, 16:47   #2869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Abhishek

No doubt will get it serviced and rechecked enroute at 2/3 places.The service centers outside the main cities are very helpful and the icing on the cake it is gratis.
They did a thorough washing,checking and cleaning job at Pathankot,Chottorgarh and Srinagar.At all the places I offered to pay but they declined.A big thanks to them.
Regards
Sir, as good as it has always been I will strongly urge you to get checks done before you embark on your journey. You need not go to an A.S.S. but a thorough check up can be done at any place. A lot of things you can do yourself like engine oil levels, wheel pressure, coolant levels and wiper cleaning fluid etc.

I have total faith in you doing this without any issues, this is a very reliable machine but personally I would leave nothing to chance.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 22:44   #2870
Senior - BHPian

Hey faustus ! I am happy to tell you that the Nikhil service center has a new manager who is really great and gets the job done. He has restored my faith in Nikhil Auto. His name is Mr Cyrus. Very helpful and attentive. You should give Nikhil a shot
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 23:19   #2871
BHPian

Mortis
Hi
Thanks for the update.
That makes it a bit easier for me.
Has he replaced Mr.Sahani the earlier manager at Nikhil,Reay road?Any idea.
Will call them up tomorrow and speak to mr.Cyrus.
Incidentally they had mr.Gordon at their Worli office.Met him in june and he was quite helpful specially when I told him that I wanted to drive the north-east(he is from Jorhat)
Thanks once again and regards

Abhishek
Hi.
Thanks your post
I will get the small checkups done by my old friendly neighborhood mechanic.Have availed his services for more than 10 years.
Thanks a lot and regards
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:20   #2872
BHPian

Hey folks!

I got a mileage of 15.85 per ltr. I kept it simple. COCO BP for petrol and pressure of 32. Apart from that I've become a little rev happy and shift at 2.5 RPM.

The below two pics show how the fuel gauge jumps from half to the last four bars within a few kms. This is a little stressful specially when you think you have half a tank to drive with. The first image was at the fuel station with a consumption of 28.5 ltrs.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121203_091957.png
Views: 1955
Size:  487.9 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 3rd December 2012 at 09:22.
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:45   #2873
Senior - BHPian

Hi Beatles (read: Beat Owners)

I have a quick question which I couldn't find out in any of samarth.bhatia, alstonlobo, salbin, jeganatu or this thread. Hope to get some advice from someone here.

Crazy it may seem, but I badly need the Chevy golden bow-tie logo on the horn pad. I have been asking the Kropex, Trident guys since the last ~2 years, but its a No each time.
It was shown as a standard fitment in various TV/Print ads. However, when I booked my Green Bolt Petrol (March 2011), it wasn't there. Now I see it in the TCDI models. So rushed to the showrooms to get the horn pad replaced with the one with the golden bow-tie, but the guys refused stating that the TCDI had EPS and Petrol model had PS, hence the build of horn-pads was diff.
I remember that the LT (O) had a hornpad with golden bow-tie.
I am slowly going into depression with the in-ability to get the golden bow-tie horn pad in my Beat

Anyone has any idea of where to get this in Bangalore ?

P.S: I have been an active guest of Team-BHP since the last 3 years. After several attempts, my membership got approved last month. So if, I have missed out any discussion with regards to my query, please accept my apology. Please guide me to the correct thread.
Old 4th December 2012, 00:54   #2874
BHPian

Mortis
Hi
Called up Nikhil and spoke to mr Cyrus.
I mentioned to him about my wanting to go alone on a very long trip and I wanted to be sure,as far as possible,that nothing goes wrong.
I also mentioned about your 2 past experiences with Nikhil.
He asked me to bring the car for a thorough checkup ,which I shall, before I start on my journey.
Good that you gave me his name.Makes a bit easier.
Will update after I meet him.
Regards
Old 4th December 2012, 17:52   #2875
Senior - BHPian

Great that you got in touch with him. I hope he can help you out like he did with me.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 20:10   #2876
Senior - BHPian

Saw this red Beat with the whole roof and the pillars vinyl-ed in black. It have minimal decals on the side too. Though subtle, definitely an eye catcher, and sort of looked good to me. And something different that initially made me think to be a different car. For some, the red and black combination might feel to be that of a taxi. Thought would share it here. Sorry, couldn't get front pics.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc00935.jpg
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 23:33   #2877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Hi Beatles (read: Beat Owners)

. Please guide me to the correct thread.
Hi.

I will check with my contact here at the Delhi service centre and revert on this.
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 10:33   #2878
BHPian

does anyone know the price of the headlamp assay(left)?
Old 21st December 2012, 16:17   #2879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Hi.

I will check with my contact here at the Delhi service centre and revert on this.
Hi samarth,

Any luck on the Golden Bow-Tie logo on the Horn-pad in your Delhi service centres ?
Old 24th December 2012, 14:37   #2880
BHPian

Hello Guys, updating after a long long time.
I have a beat bought in July 2010 due for 2.5 years service in Jan 2013.
Some of the issues faced are
1. Incompetent A/C unit ( Anybody facing this? )
2. Rattling noise from behind the steering assembly
3. Will be replacing wipers now ( Suggestions? )
4. FE of the car has dropped from 18.5 to about 17. 5. (Again, any specific reason or anything that i should get checked?)
5. At times, i have to struggle to slot in the 1st gear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks