Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 22:57   #3571
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hi everybody. Need urgent information.
More than a year back somebody had posted a video of a whisling sound when the ignition was put on. This was due to the fuel pump being defective.
I noticed the same thing a few days back. My Beat petrol car is May 2010 model and has done less than 30k kms.
The FN Mechanic said that normally the fuel pump motor is the culprit and there is no need to change the whole assembly. However he will know more when he opens the pump.
Can somebody please guide urgently.
The points I would like to know is which is the fuel pump used. And can we get it outside. I am in Bombay Mahim Shivaji Park area. The FNM said that it could be Bosch but he wasnt sure.
Called up the service centre and they quoted 5818 for the pump.Plus labour charges. Would this amount be for the whole assembly or only the motor?
Can somebody please guide a mechanically challenged member like me?
Thanks a lot in advance pl guide earliest possible.
Regards
PS: The FNM suggested Denso brand. And the motor should be around rs 2000.
Old 22nd September 2015, 18:07   #3572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody. Need urgent information.
More than a year back somebody had posted a video of a whisling sound when the ignition was put on. This was due to the fuel pump being defective.
I got this problem when my car was just out of standard warranty. But my 2 year extended warranty saved me that time around.

See details here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3137573

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3144610

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 01:08   #3573
BHPian

Myavu.
Thanks for your response.
As I did not want to take a chance with my driver and daughter stranded in traffic I got the fuel pump motor replaced. The driver and FNM took a trial for 5 kms in peak traffic and there was no issue specially regarding the whistle sound.
Cost was rs 1700 for the motor, rs 400 for the mechanic and rs 200 for cab fare.
Once again thanks. Regards
PS: I did not opt for extended warranty
faustus77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 07:32   #3574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Myavu.
Thanks for your response.
As I did not want to take a chance with my driver and daughter stranded in traffic I got the fuel pump motor replaced. The driver and FNM took a trial for 5 kms in peak traffic and there was no issue specially regarding the whistle sound.
Cost was rs 1700 for the motor, rs 400 for the mechanic and rs 200 for cab fare.
Once again thanks. Regards
PS: I did not opt for extended warranty
Good to know that the issue was resolved.

So it is safe to start with replacing just the Fuel Pump Motor and not the whole assembly as such, for this particular whistle issue.

Also, since you got the motor replaced from the FNG, which brand did he put in ? Bosch or Denso (that you mentioned earlier) ?
Old 25th September 2015, 01:31   #3575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Good to know that the issue was resolved.

So it is safe to start with replacing just the Fuel Pump Motor and not the whole assembly as such, for this particular whistle issue.

Also, since you got the motor replaced from the FNG, which brand did he put in ? Bosch or Denso (that you mentioned earlier) ?
Soumyajit
Hi.
The original was KAFUS and the replacement was same.
On the metal body KGF 40 E was inscribed and on the plastic head KG4.5.
Googled for the word KAFUS and had 3500 results. Korean brand.
Incidentally the driver mentioned that when he pulls the high beam towards himself he hears the same whistle.FNM said no issue but I will check on saturday.
Regrds
Old 4th October 2015, 15:05   #3576
BHPian

Upgraded a few months back to 175/65/14 Michelin XM 2. Great performance. My stock JK's lasted me over 65 K hence had to upgrade and I'm glad I went in for the XM 2.

Went for a solo road trip from Delhi to Dharamsala/Mcleodganj. The grip of the wheel was amazing and was taking corners faster than I did with the JK's while on various trips to Himachal Pradesh.

Really happy with this purchase. Have stuck to the steel rims. The grip was good while ascending to Mcleodganj. Had driven from Dharmsala to Mcleodganj and back which is a steep climb and descend about 6-7 times and was amazed by how well the car behaved around corners.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 4th October 2015 at 15:06.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 19:07   #3577
BHPian

Quote:
Soumyajit
Incidentally the driver mentioned that when he pulls the high beam towards himself he hears the same whistle.FNM said no issue but I will check on saturday.
Regrds
Have you put powerful lights or electricals? If yes, that might be the culprit. I live with it ( rest assured, that is not the fuel pump. I had a nasty scare too) .

In other news, I have moved to Kolkata. People here will see my drive soon. The sad news is that some stupid Enfield banged me while overtaking from the left. I need to change the entire front bumper since the locks are sheared by the impact)
Old 15th October 2015, 14:42   #3578
BHPian

So, the front bumper was replaced and painted at Dulichand Kolkata. They have a fairly big service center.
About the work, it was done fairly well(except for two black dots in inspicuous places where the painter missed it, I guess). Drove into Dulichand yesterday morning and their driver dropped it off at my office at 12:30 pm today. The fog lamps were also aligned FOC.aAnd the best part: they managed to restick the Tbhp sticker in the front bumper

The front feels funny ( in a good way) and new
Old 15th October 2015, 20:20   #3579
BHPian

Hi everybody.
Need urgent suggestion for replacement of battery for my AC Beat with power steering.
Original battery ( five and half year old) is giving up so need to change it immediately.
Called up 2 Exide dealers. One said that the original is 50 AMP and the other said it is 44 AMP. Confused so please advise.
My trusted FNMechanic has recommended Sonic which is about 15/20% cheaper. 2 years replacement guarantee plus an additional 2 years warranty. He mentioned that it was advertised by Salman Khan( not that it carries any weight) Is it a good brand? Has anybody bought it?
Thanks in advance
Regards
PS:Adg Andy Hi Thanks your post. I have nothing high powered accessories. Just the original AC and the music system.
Old 16th October 2015, 13:03   #3580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need urgent suggestion for replacement of battery for my AC Beat with power steering.
You can go through my experience here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3470483

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 13:31   #3581
Senior - BHPian

My sister's Chevy Beat had a broken windshield. When she took the car to the ASC they are claiming it will cost 3500 for the glass, 3000 for gum, 1400 labour and 200 for the mold. Are these figures correct. 3000 bucks for just gum is too much. She is claiming insurance.
Old 16th October 2015, 16:34   #3582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
My sister's Chevy Beat had a broken windshield. When she took the car to the ASC they are claiming it will cost 3500 for the glass, 3000 for gum, 1400 labour and 200 for the mold. Are these figures correct. 3000 bucks for just gum is too much. She is claiming insurance.
Two years ago, even my Chevy Beat had a broken windshield. I got the windshield replaced at ASC and I remember they charged me a bomb. Sometime later I came to know about Windshield Experts.

www.windshieldexperts.com

I heard they are quite good with repairs / replacement of Windshields, any car, any make.

May be you can contact them and get a quotation before giving the car to ASC.
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 16:04   #3583
Senior - BHPian

This is the estimate for my sis's Chevy Beat from ASC Chevy in Vasai. Car has done mere 15k kms and they are asking for change in brake pads & discs. The car was stationery for close to a year but change of discs and pads at 15k kms irrespective of use seems irrational. Also they have recommended a change of radiator as they say there is some leak etc. I believe it must have clogged and a simple flush should do. Are these costs justfied. We are definitely not going ahead with the ASC but need to know if the radiator should be changed along with the discs ? Remove refit bumper cost 2500 is simply

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img20151016wa0005.jpg
Old 17th October 2015, 16:27   #3584
BHPian

The brake pads may actually need replacement. My Beat is at 70k on the ODO and is running on it's fourth set of brake pads( replaced at 18k, 32k, 45k, 63k). Poor OEM part quality obviously. Brake discs should not need a change so early unless your brake pads have worn out too much(do you hear metallic chimes?)to scratch/deform the disc which I doubt. Even then a simple lathe job would do the trick. AC gas refilling is again most of the time a gimmick and is not required unless the gas is drained out to carry some maintenance work. Get the radiator inspected at a FNG and lastly, I guess they have mistakenly charged you for a new bumper(Rs.2500).

I'll advise you to take the car to another A.S.S. or a trusty FNG.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 22:21   #3585
Senior - BHPian

So @ ODO 42400 kms my Beat's front strut mount again gone kaput. This time it was softness on front left suspension.

Booked an appointment for today at Metro Chevrolet and reached at 11.30AM. The area around the service centre is a mess due to service roads dug up for laying water pipes. Got car back at 5.15PM.

Last time same strut mounts was changed on 27th February 2014. So they lasted for around 15,000 Kms. Details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3379942

Parts and labour costs are sky-rocketing.

AC pollen filter too changed. Total damage Rs.2903/-

But there is an icing on the cake. Got a Full service and Engine oil Free which is valid for 1 year. Anyway my regular service is scheduled for next month 16th and I'm planning to utilise the offer then. Kudos to Chevy for such an incentive.

Some recall stuff was taken care too along with today's work. All loose electric cables were tied to the body in the engine bay.

Please find the invoice for your reference.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-16102015.jpg

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks