Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 19:18   #1981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh
Any idea on a solution to the lack of locking mechanism in the polo?

Get an after-market Autocop (or similar) system that auto-locks on the move. The one in my OHC Vtec did just that.

Are we talking about the version which has central locking but no auto-lock mechanism ? If yes - most likely it is just a software setup to be done thru VAG COM to enable this. Most of these germans (VW,Skoda) cars have this feature common.

If it is just plain vanilla manual locking - aftermarket is the way to go. And i think the dealership's accessories section itself will be able to provide this to you - so warranty should not become a problem.

Last edited by jigbarai : 13th September 2010 at 19:19.
Old 13th September 2010, 20:21   #1982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Red + Big wheels + Tints = Personality. Stunning looker.

Attachment 420930
That was the first Polo I saw in town. Werent those wheels chrome? Because when I it I remember chrome wheels.
Old 14th September 2010, 12:14   #1983
BHPian

Polo-1.6 is here

Today morning i got a good news on MSN Volkswagen launches new Polo 1.6L - 3 - *Autos - MSN India. It read Volkswagen launches new Polo 1.6L
Think atlast there is something which may replace my Sail-1.6.X-Showroom ND price of 6.16 L sounds ok
Old 14th September 2010, 13:56   #1984
Senior - BHPian

That is stale news. The forum currently has at least half a dozen ownership reviews of the 1.6L Polo . This review itself was posted a good month prior to the launch of the car

IMHO the forum is the best source for the latest happenings in the Auto world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaga View Post
Today morning i got a good news on MSN Volkswagen launches new Polo 1.6L - 3 - *Autos - MSN India. It read Volkswagen launches new Polo 1.6L
Think atlast there is something which may replace my Sail-1.6.X-Showroom ND price of 6.16 L sounds ok
Old 15th September 2010, 01:19   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
..... Fiat Did the same for the Punto active versions..... VW has been pretty hard about telling prospective customers that any additional electronic or electrical additions is against its warranty terms
Just for the record, I am a Punto Active owner and I can tell you for sure that FIAT has never certified any aftermarket central locking vendor (likes of Autocop ). I have had a decently long chat on this very subject with a senior person from FIAT. There were instances of folks getting 'Wheels' central locking devices installed from dealerships in Bangalore. They may still be doing be the same for all we know, but FIAT doesn't approve of it. I think this was reported to FIAT and they got back to the errant dealerships asking them to stop doing the same.

This was till 2 months ago, after which they introduced the central locking with actuators for Active models in their accessory shop. Electronics/wiring is a huge issue with FIAT, they are pretty fussy on the subject. Glad to know VW too is in the same league and we have a common 'suffering' to share and discuss.

PS: If at all FIAT has approved of any brand, please confirm the same, I'd be happy to acknowledge the same and probably will get the same installed in my car as it would probably be cheaper compared to what FIAT is selling.

Last edited by better4worse : 15th September 2010 at 01:24.
Old 15th September 2010, 09:20   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
Electronics/wiring is a huge issue with FIAT, they are pretty fussy on the subject. Glad to know VW too is in the same league and we have a common 'suffering' to share and discuss.
12V, 12V-Return, Grounding - Are 3 different things, which are crucial in any automobile wiring. If these things are not taken care, it can cause havoc.

There can be chances that return path is routed through certain devices for certain logics. Local electricians will not have any clue about it. It can be easily messed up.

If it is messed up - With modern engines, with so many sensors and other electronics controlling it, any thing may happen. Other than inconveniencing the customer, this can increase the warranty cost to the company & and also bring with it, bad reputation.

It is best not to fiddle around with wiring of any automobile. If we can catch hold of the Car's electrical wiring diagram, then things can be simpler!
Old 15th September 2010, 13:10   #1987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
12V, 12V-Return, Grounding - Are 3 different things, which are crucial in any automobile wiring. If these things are not taken care, it can cause havoc.

There can be chances that return path is routed through certain devices for certain logics. Local electricians will not have any clue about it. It can be easily messed up.

If it is messed up - With modern engines, with so many sensors and other electronics controlling it, any thing may happen. Other than inconveniencing the customer, this can increase the warranty cost to the company & and also bring with it, bad reputation.
Agreed Chethan ! I am aware of this, but the nuisance is that there is no standard process shared for installations like HU, Central locking for after market devices especially when the company itself is not providing the same in their accessory shop. There is no scope for cutting the wire, even splicing is tricky. The dealership refuses to install your after market HU or any other device, and if one gets it done from outside, there is always the inherent risk of getting it wrong with a local guy. While electronics like rest of the modern car is a bit more complicated and should not be fiddled with, companies offlate use this as reasoning or excuse to scare the customer with 'warranty void' scenarios and force them into buying company manufactured devices from their own accessory shop which happen to be relatively costlier.

Last edited by better4worse : 15th September 2010 at 13:13.
Old 15th September 2010, 18:07   #1988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed Chethan ! I am aware of this, but the nuisance is that there is no standard process shared for installations like HU, Central locking for after market devices especially when the company itself is not providing the same in their accessory shop. There is no scope for cutting the wire, even splicing is tricky. The dealership refuses to install your after market HU or any other device, and if one gets it done from outside, there is always the inherent risk of getting it wrong with a local guy. While electronics like rest of the modern car is a bit more complicated and should not be fiddled with, companies offlate use this as reasoning or excuse to scare the customer with 'warranty void' scenarios and force them into buying company manufactured devices from their own accessory shop which happen to be relatively costlier.
This is something similar/close to Monopoly Trade Act.

These connectors/couplings should be standardized by all companies (including HU manufacturers), so that we can fit in the HU according to our choice. Same thing holds good for central locking also. It is high time manufacturers share the wiring diagram with their customers.

Today, we are left with no/little choice. Even if some one is ready to spend the money, he/she can not have a HU of their liking.
Old 15th September 2010, 20:37   #1989
BHPian

Quote:
Just for the record, I am a Punto Active owner and I can tell you for sure that FIAT has never certified any aftermarket central locking vendor (likes of Autocop )..
Here is the link to the Fiat Branded Keyless entry and Reverse Sensor system
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ng-sensor.html

I believe it is the Fiat Recommended Accessory

Edit : On re reading your post i am unsure if you did know about the post and we are talking about the same . If so please ignore my reposting the link

Last edited by sreedotk : 15th September 2010 at 20:40.
Old 16th September 2010, 00:41   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
Here is the link to the Fiat Branded Keyless entry and Reverse Sensor system
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ng-sensor.html

I believe it is the Fiat Recommended Accessory

Edit : On re reading your post i am unsure if you did know about the post and we are talking about the same . If so please ignore my reposting the link
Thanks for the clarifications Sree, I hadn't checked out Sid's thread on the subject.

The link in your post refers to the FIAT branded device for Linea and from the pic it seems as if the circuit box has been sourced from AUTO COP. The reason why its for LINEA is because LINEA comes with preinstalled actuators and hence the cost of the kit is around 5K INR whereas the one for Punto is around 10K (comes with actuators). Check out the link below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...pg-9-a-13.html

Well I had seen the box and its contents in pics but hadn't noticed the AUTO COP etched on the main circuit box as I am yet to procure one for myself. Moreover I was categorically told that by the gentleman at FIAT and folks RAMA that its not the Autocop lock, its FIAT original (sounded as if they are going to get it from ITALY or something !!).

As for my post, I meant FIAT folks never endorsed the AUTO COP or WHEELS standalone kits available 'off the shelf' available in the market, infact I was clearly told that if the same were installed on the Punto, there was every chance of warranty being considered void. When I offered to buy it from the market and have them (dealership) install it instead of the local guy, they flatly refused. Now these buggers sell the same stuff by merely re-branding it.

PS: This is a POLO thread, I have no intentions of hijacking it with PUNTO talk, sorry folks for being slightly off topic !

Last edited by better4worse : 16th September 2010 at 00:47.
Old 16th September 2010, 13:35   #1991

VW POLO Points to Improve

I collected my POLO Petrol Highline in Emotion Blue exactly a month ago. Overall I am quite pleased with the car although haven't stressed it at all. I have a few observations which I find quite surprising for VW to have not considered.

Owners' Manual
The Owners' Manual is a direct translation from the German one and therefore has all the information of the European Model. There is no segregation between the available variants. Therefore it is a fat book with most not relevant.

Drivers' View
ORVM These should have been recessed more in the housing. Because during heavy rains the mirror gets wet and water trickles down distorting the view. I faced this problem during the Delhi rains.
Surprisingly you get to see the reflection of the air vent near the door in front and the light knob on the right in the window glass overlapping with the view to the OVRM. At night specially you see the dashboard illumination reflected in the same vision angle as the OVRM.
IRVM I think the IVRM is not placed properly other than the fact that the view is restricted due to the rear headrests, in the anti glare position the view shifts upwards, requiring a manual resetting for the driver.

I will be sending some snaps to demonstrate.
Old 16th September 2010, 13:42   #1992
BHPian

Congrats Sudipc!

Please start a detailed ownership review with lots of pictures of the lovely emotion blue Polo so that all of us enthusiasts can drool over it
Old 16th September 2010, 18:13   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipc View Post
I collected my POLO Petrol Highline in Emotion Blue exactly a month ago.
Is this a new colour? I thought there was just one blue called Glacier Blue available.
Old 16th September 2010, 18:52   #1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipc View Post
IRVM I think the IVRM is not placed properly other than the fact that the view is restricted due to the rear headrests, in the anti glare position the view shifts upwards, requiring a manual resetting for the driver.
I noticed this problem when I received my Polo in early August. It is a known problem with a recent batch of Polos. Point it out to the dealership. They will inform VW, who will send a replacement specifically for you. Same goes for the driver-side power window switch. Both items were replaced for me, though the new switch still has the odd problem.

tushar
Old 21st September 2010, 20:35   #1995
BHPian

Nicely written!

This was very well written and it pretty much echos what I feel about my Polo. I especially liked the last part - I'm in my 30s and I seriously think the Polo looks way better than the Punto!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks