Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 10:04   #1216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Yes. Gear shift indicator is there in Diesel - Polo. But I do not know how it is going help us drive. We can hardly look at the display while driving. Unless the indication is both audio/visual, it may not be a great feature. But initially, it will definitely give us a sort of training in gear shifting specifically confined to Polo. later on, as and when we get used to the car, by the sound of the engine ( which is quite audible!) we will know when to shift.
Your right initially it might be very useful for driving and getting optimum mileage. But VW have given such a feature and not given electric mirrors which is quite surprising actually !!

Is the diesel officially launching today ?? Any confirmed news on that ?? Also I was just wondering if the highline has a trip computer ??
Old 10th May 2010, 10:26   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I dont know about other people but often on long drives while cruising on highways i occassionaly place my hand on the gear shift to assure it's in the top gear.I have notice i do this sub-consciouslywhilst driving on long higways.I guess thats the time when the display might be of useful to atleast to people like me.
Yes. you are right. This happens to me also. But I tend to go by the engine sound. At 100Kmph, we can easily make out by the sound of the engine, that we are in the 4th gear. with Polo, it will be much easier!!
Old 10th May 2010, 10:42   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I dont know about other people but often on long drives while cruising on highways i occassionaly place my hand on the gear shift to assure it's in the top gear.I have notice i do this sub-consciouslywhilst driving on long higways.I guess thats the time when the display might be of useful to atleast to people like me.
Well I do that too, but I would rather take my hand off the wheel than my eye off the road to check which gear I'm in.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:40   #1219
BHPian

^^^ highway!!! i do it all the time. but maybe in polo ill have to keep it on the steering to work well with the reverse indicator controls.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:45   #1220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha100 View Post
When i was test driving the Polo i was told that the set of 4 wheel covers will cost 1600. Also they mentioned the annual service cost to be 5-7k.
If it's true then it's totally fair enough But we do read conflicting views right? Anyways the general service cost seems to be kept down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I am ready to pay 2k tomorrow morning for the set. Where can I get it... I enquired from both VW West delhi and VW south delhi and the price quoted for one wheel was Rs. 1650 by both the dealerships (this was 3 weeks back).

Anyways, the prices of parts you have confirmed, definitely looks promising. Good for us. Thanks
Quote:
Now comparing the sales people of VW and Ford (i finally bought Figo diesel) i observed that VW sales were telling us to expect 11/12 kmpl in city (for petrol) and about 16 on highways. I got a feeling that VW sales were trying to setup low expectations to the customers. But i found the opposite with the Ford sales folks. Now look whats happening the figo thread people are complaining low FE. VW is going slow and steady and i have a feeling that Polo owners might be a happier lot in the long run given the expectation setting thats happening by their sales team. BTW what the kind of FE polo owners are getting on highways and city?
I totally agree with you on the high expectations set by the sales persons.

Regarding the FE, I don't expect the Figo P to give good FE at all. It's neither powerfull nor high on FE. But the Figo D is a surprise to me. I have driven the Fiesta D a lot and it easily gives 15 KmpL and above in the City.

Check this out,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
With everyone worried about the Figo mileage i just checked out the various test drive reviews for the TDCi engine. (The last entry from BS motoring is on the Figo TDCi)

If these figures are to be believed i think we need not worry about the Figo F.E figures that owners here are coming up with.

What say??
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-untitled.jpg  

Old 10th May 2010, 12:22   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liner4u View Post
Your right initially it might be very useful for driving and getting optimum mileage. But VW have given such a feature and not given electric mirrors which is quite surprising actually !!

Is the diesel officially launching today ?? Any confirmed news on that ?? Also I was just wondering if the highline has a trip computer ??
Please go through the UK - Polo excel file that I had posted in this thread earlier. That has some details about MID. I think it is the same in India for Diesel with the display color changed.

I was told by the SP that the TD cars will be available by this week end. No idea about the launch. I thought it was already launched this month beginning? Highline definitely has a trip meter. In fact it should be common to all variants. Try to get a Carindia magazine of April. It has some details.

@Kiku007 - May be since Figo is a Hatchback, common perception is that it should give more mileage then Fusion/Ikon/Fiesta with the same engine. May be lot to do with expectation here. Fiesta's diesel engine had a great fame - Dealers/company have gone overboard and used it to sell Figo. But even with this FE, Figo is a good car for the price we pay.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 10th May 2010 at 12:32.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:35   #1222
BANNED

Saw a Red Polo yesterday with the Sport bumper kit. Looked quite good but it is surely going to get scraped on most of bangy's humps. if you ignore that and go fast then it will probably crack that expensive kit.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:35   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
i observed that VW sales were telling us to expect 11/12 kmpl in city (for petrol) and about 16 on highways.BTW what the kind of FE polo owners are getting on highways and city?
I got 13.58 tank full to tank full regular petrol

70% city 30% highway driving

70% A/C on

The tank is mentioned 42 litres and the manual recommends to fill up till the first click with an auto nozzle. However I had filled it to the brim first time so I had to do it again to calculate to calculate FE correctly. The capacity then is around 50 ltrs. the manual does recommend not to fill to the brim though.

Another feature I noticed is that if you depress the indicator stalk and then remove the keys then the parking light gets illuminated. So check the position of the stalk before you remove the keys to avoid the battery getting drained. Mine didnt but just a warning for fellow BHPians who werent aware.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:39   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Please go through the UK - Polo excel file that I had posted in this thread earlier. That has some details about MID. I think it is the same in India for Diesel with the display color changed.

I was told by the SP that the TD cars will be available by this week end. No idea about the launch. I thought it was already launched this month beginning? Highline definitely has a trip meter. In fact it should be common to all variants. Try to get a Carindia magazine of April. It has some details.

Trip meters are common for all variants. But trip computer, Distance to empty is available only on the highline I think. Was talking to the SP and he also confirmed TD by the weekend.

I was just comparing the polo highline with the 1.4 Fabia tdi ambiente and these are the features which the Fabia has and Polo doesn't have

1. Electric mirrors with heater.
2. Cooled glove box with light.
3. Boot light.
4. Vanity mirrors on passenger side and driver side. Polo does not have vanity mirrors.
5. Height adjustable passenger seat.

These are small features but the 1.4 fabia is jus 50k more than the polo highline
Old 10th May 2010, 14:21   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Prices of Polo in Karnataka is in the attachment. Can you post the same WRT Chennai after the tax changes? I am sure that Karnataka will be the costliest.

Sidindica, Cardeep@ Black color is yet to be launched, is it not? How come this car is in black? But it looks great!! Happy that I have booked for one in black!
Hi Chetan

Sorry for the delayed reply. When I checked the car the black colour display model wasn't there & it looked way better than the Black one. Rather it was the Red one. But, Black was (at that time was well) an option on the Comfortline & Highline variants (Trendline is available in Red & White only).
Old 10th May 2010, 17:16   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trip meters are common for all variants. But trip computer, Distance to empty is available only on the highline I think. Was talking to the SP and he also confirmed TD by the weekend.

I was just comparing the polo highline with the 1.4 Fabia tdi ambiente and these are the features which the Fabia has and Polo doesn't have

1. Electric mirrors with heater.
2. Cooled glove box with light.
3. Boot light.
4. Vanity mirrors on passenger side and driver side. Polo does not have vanity mirrors.
5. Height adjustable passenger seat.

These are small features but the 1.4 fabia is jus 50k more than the polo highline
1 to 4 is good to have but does not make a great difference. 5 is mainly cosmetic?
Even I had checked Fabia before booking Polo. Fabia's engine is Tdi-PD, which is being discontinued. Also it's AC is not as good as Polo. Very soon Fabia will have the same CRDI engine as Polo. Otherwise, it is a good car. Rear leg space is better then Polo. After sept, when it gets Polo Crdi engine, sales of Fabia may also pickup. Interesting to see how VW will position Fabia. In Europe, I heard that Fabia is priced below Polo. But Europe Polo's features are better.

@Logical - Great FE!

Parking lights can be turned on without keys in many cars. It is the same in my current car - spark also. We have to take care and switch this off separately. This light is generally used during road side parking. Is this the same you mean or something different?

@Sidindia - When did you see that Black Polo at the dealer? Just curious to know..
Old 10th May 2010, 18:27   #1227
BHPian

So finally, after waiting for 42 days I finally got the VW-Polo CL.
Firstly a little brief about the delivery day 4th May - The reception at the VW- Showroom was wonderful , a cake cutting ceremony coupled with some clicks. I also received an Eye catching Key chain + A chrome Card Holder + A Parker pen (VW printed on all). Quite a surprise and my family were impressed

8th May I take the steering wheel for the first time. The starting sound was a WOW… WOW.. a little shake , the moment I pushed the throttle it responded as if it was longing for that pressure. The 1st 15 kms local drive was actually a cruise on the road (God I love the handling!!). Will give the complete details about the local and highway drive below..

The Commercials :

VW –POLO CL – 4,98,000 ( Ex- SH ,Chandigarh)
Insurance – 14000/-
Bank Processing fee – 3250/-
Registration – 7500/-
Mud flap – 900/-
Foot Mats – 1100/-
Car Cover Tweak Silver – 1090/-
Stereo – 7500/- (Pioneer Single DIN)
Speakers – 5200/- ( 4 nos , all door fitted , KICKER brand )
Filming – 1800 / - ( LLunar with 50% HR)
Seat Covers – Will buy company fitted 5000/-

Total OTR cost – 5,45,340/-

A local drive for 50kms in 2 days & a Highway drive from Chandigarh to Delhi ( 260 kms covered in 3.5 hrs )

Power – I drove with 2 ppl along with me all the time and the engine responded fairly well in terms of power. The initial gears rev are fantastic and I loved the sound as it went on multiplying miles. Sometimes I did witness little thuds in the 2nd gear but the 3rd gear is actually a boon. I found some extra-ordinary power in the 3rd gear (probably I need to give sum more time on the gear shift lolz).
Highway- Covered 0-100 in 16secs approx , the car goes from 0 to 40 km/hr in no time.. so quick.. As stated earlier the 3rd gear rev at 4200 rpm is like sailing on a sea..
100-140 Kmph – It sticks to the ground, can feel the roar which is enticing.
140-150 kmph – 3 pot motor effect felt for the 1st time (Swift bags the race here)
150 and above – Runs out of breath.. oohh mama… missing the 1.6 !

Gear Shift – Superb , Very Comfortable , it actually guides you through. The size of the lever and the shift mechanism is impeccable. Felt a little baffled while putting the reverse gear in the initial hours though. Pls advise if I should go for a gear lock of the default security is enough, I’ve not opted for central locking as well.. hate that sound.

Handling – In my first 10 mins of the drive I realized that the worth of the 5 lacs I had spent is not a waste. The car is just WOW in handling. The wheels and steering wheel are so much connected that one can feel a 10 degree steer.
Highway – There is 1.5 km ‘C’ turn at madhuban near Karnal. One hand on the steering..other on the gear… 5th gear at a 3200 rpm..@ 110km/hr...with an unbeatable grip on the road i felt as if I was beating the air!

Space and Comfort – The tilt steering and the height adjustable seats covers all probable possibilities for tall/short drivers. The car seems to be big from inside though the REAR seat comfort is little compromised , though a forward shift of the front shift copes up the same. AC seems to be rich in cooling in 3-4 mins. I’ve put a LLumar film which is very effective and save on my AC’s oxygen.
Highway – The bucket seat with a thigh / back support are a boon. The only turn off is the angled dash ( the vertical plastic shelf) that collides with the knee all the time. It is very displeasing. On the contrary the same doesn’t happen in the co-driver seat where there is ample space for the knee. I felt clutch a little higher than the usual !

FE (90% AC ON) – I got a decent 14.2 kms/lt in local and a ‘can be improved’ 16.4 kms/Lt average on a highway. I’ve been told by the VW team not to put SPEED/Xtra mile type fuel… can any1 tell me why??

Net Net – Apart from being a wonderful package , the hatchback proudly exhibits a galvanized body with flamboyant design turning all the head as you pass by them. This is the novelty I’m enjoying

Moderator's Note: Not more than 2 smilies per posts are allowed. Please go through the rules carefully before going further. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-polo.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 10th May 2010 at 20:27. Reason: Note inline
Old 10th May 2010, 19:07   #1228
BHPian

congrats on your purchase steve paaji. best of luck with the car.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:36   #1229
BHPian

@Steve82: Congrats on your car. Hope you have a lot of happy miles ahead. And the dealer has showered you with quite a lot of pleasantries

Was there a run in period mentioned for the engine. Just curious since you already touched 150km on the speedo
Old 10th May 2010, 21:07   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
@Steve82: Congrats on your car. Hope you have a lot of happy miles ahead. And the dealer has showered you with quite a lot of pleasantries

Was there a run in period mentioned for the engine. Just curious since you already touched 150km on the speedo
Thanks a ton. i specifically asked abt the run, but i was told - "the car is mine and so i the throttle" lol. but i kept an average 100-110 kmph on the highway, the speed test was done just once!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks