Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 12:57   #361
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
The only big change is that the back seats can be half folded (See the pic). With the earlier A star you had to get the entire back seat down. This is the only big change other than the biege interiors.
Looks like this is mainly due to reviews/fb about the lack of boot space in A*. With 4 people sitting in the car there is absolutely no space in the boot. I had trouble fitting 2 duffle bags! I have a trip with family planned to mlore and goa in march. God save me.
Old 17th February 2012, 13:22   #362
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Get a roof-carrier fitted. Preferably something that is easy to remove, so that you need fit it only on out-station trips.

Can't make out from pics if the biege looks better or the previously black interiors. Will drop in at the dealership sometime to confirm. The split-seat is indeed a good addition and nice to know they take action on customer-feedback.

The AT version added to A-Star has indeed brought many customers - we now have so many A*-ATs on TBHP itself.
Old 19th February 2012, 20:22   #363
BHPian

Thanks guys for the inputs. Booked a Bright Red A Star Automatic for my wife. Dealer says approx 30 days, but I am not in any hurry.
Old 25th February 2012, 17:50   #364
BHPian

Has ABS been omitted in the refreshed model? And I wonder why the Auto is not available in ZXI Model at least as an option? The only other option is the i10 Auto Asta variant which costs 1.5 lakh more.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-.jpg  

Old 26th February 2012, 20:33   #365
Senior - BHPian

^^^IIRC, the i10-AT is also available in the Sportz version which is below Asta and thus a little less costlier.
But yes, if you want ABS, then Asta is the only option, since Sportz does not have ABS.

I wonder why they discontinued AT in Magna trim, which would have brought many potential buyers to i10,
given that it is below Sportz and price-wise would have been same as A*-AT. At that price, most buyers would
have plumped for i10, and rightly so, except for the horrible FE of the i10.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 26th February 2012 at 20:36.
Old 1st March 2012, 10:59   #366
BHPian

Took the delivery yesterday (29th Feb). Will post a ownership experience soon.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:32   #367
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, simonkayar. You seem to have got the car in just 10 days. Good. Do post an ownership experience. Is this the refreshed one with biege interiors ? And do confirm if it has ABS like the pre-refresh models ? There seems to be some confusion about ABS.

The A*-AT community is growing very fast - we now have so many on the forum. And I see quite a few of them on the roads too. Ironic given that the MT version is a slow-seller.
Old 1st March 2012, 13:34   #368
BHPian

^^^^^^. Surprising but yes I got it very fast - that too the same color (Bright Red) that I had requested. White, Silver and Brown were available off the shelf. Yes this is the refreshed model with beige. Looks much better than the dull grey they had earlier. It has ABS. And Team bhp and the A* AT owners' feedback was the reason I could zero in on the car confidently.
Old 2nd March 2012, 22:42   #369
Senior - BHPian

Simonkayar, Congrats! Yes, as Supremebaleno said A-Star AT tribe is growing. Good to see it is doing good in AT version at least. I bought mine July-end last year. Mine is bright red, too. You can check out my car pics on teambhp. It is one hell of a cute car. And AT is verrry practical for intra-city runs. The size is right, too, to squeeze through traffic. And it runs good on highways, too. I made 3/4 highway runs in last 7 months and trust me it keeps up with most bigger/faster cars this side of 10 lakhs. Post some pics.
Old 3rd March 2012, 06:14   #370
BHPian

Thanks pgsagar. I had seen your A * AT photos and bookmarked your thread. Whenever we wanted to see how it looked like in red we used to check your thread. In fact I have gone through all the user reviews here. You are right about the practicality of the car. As soon as I took delivery of the car, it was a km long traffic jam and I felt like sitting in the sofa of my hall with just having to hold the steering steady and press/depress the brake. Loved it. Will post the pics as part of the ownership thread that is planned after a few days (let me get some more experience to post).
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:02   #371
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Simonkayar for those kind words. Am waiting for your pix. BTW, when you wait for long period at lights or in traffic, shift the stick to N. Keeping it in D with your foot on brake may wear brake a wee bit and also effect inetrnal clutch or whetever it has inside the torque coverter mechanism. If I have to wait for more than 5 seconds at stops, I shift to N.
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:53   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Thanks Simonkayar for those kind words. Am waiting for your pix. BTW, when you wait for long period at lights or in traffic, shift the stick to N. If I have to wait for more than 5 seconds at stops, I shift to N.
Makes sense totally. I do the same whenever I drive the automatic.
Infact even with the other manual car that I have, I shift to neutral when Idling is required. Guess it helps the same way.

The switching between driving auto and manual cars is creating some problems. Yesterday when I had the manual, I put the reverse gear without the clutch. The car gave me a big jerk and went off. I took me 5-10 secs to figure out that I am not in the A Star Auto.

Hope others have also had such experiences.
Old 3rd March 2012, 23:03   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The switching between driving auto and manual cars is creating some problems. Yesterday when I had the manual, I put the reverse gear without the clutch. The car gave me a big jerk and went off. I took me 5-10 secs to figure out that I am not in the A Star Auto.

Yes, I had the same issue last week. Took neighbour's new Renault Pulse D for a spin. As I came to lights, I just slammed on brakes, completely oblivion to existence of clutch. The car juddered and stalled. Conversion from MT to AT is easy but other way around is not so much.
Old 4th March 2012, 08:35   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
waiting for your pix. BTW, when you wait for long period at lights or in traffic, shift the stick to N. Keeping it in D with your foot on brake may wear brake a wee bit and also effect inetrnal clutch or whetever it has inside the torque coverter mechanism. If I have to wait for more than 5 seconds at stops, I shift to N.
Pics will be part of the ownership review shortly. Point taken about the N. Thanks for the input. Will tell my wife who will be the main user of this car.

Quote:
I have a manual and the A* AT is wife's, which I get to drive a lot too, but I do not get into any problem, at least so far. Hope I don't end up with a broken gear someday.
Old 4th March 2012, 17:48   #375
BHPian

I am noticing a clunk-clunk sound when the automatic is about to start moving. I don't hear that sound again while driving further.
Have observed this for 4-5 times now. Any ideas what it could be.
The 1st servicing is due next week. Will point it out to the service guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks