Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2012, 13:58   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you fill petrol while the gauge is on, it will change slowly. If you switch it off, the gauge resets to zero and shows the fuel level (nearly)instantly once switched on.
But I wonder if anyone keeps the car on (either the engine or even the ignition key in on position). It is supposed to be off while re-fuleing.
Old 6th April 2012, 14:50   #407
BHPian

sometimes, you do when you need the aircon in 45 degree heat at a remote bunk in the middle of nowhere
Old 6th April 2012, 17:32   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
But I wonder if anyone keeps the car on (either the engine or even the ignition key in on position). It is supposed to be off while re-fuleing.
In summers I do just for the AC. In winters I switch off.
Old 6th April 2012, 21:05   #409
BHPian

Well, not a big deal really if you've just refuelled. You're sure that you won't run out of gas, the fuel gauge can take its time to move up.
I've stopped worrying now that I know it's not specific to my car.

Question on the audio setup: just finished reading a thread by Sankar on his A-star ICE. I definitely don't need anything as fancy! But that said, the stock audio SQ is pretty average and a speaker upgrade is on the cards.
I'm considering one of the following:
1. Install components at the front and move the OEM speakers to the rear doors
2. Keep the OEM speakers as-is and install co-axials in the rear doors

Any suggestions please?
Old 12th April 2012, 13:01   #410
BHPian

Just back from a trip to Ooty and here are a few observations:
  • Decent performance on the highway and ghat roads. The accelerator input worked well most of the way. On the way up, had to slot it in 'L' only while negotiating a few back-back steep hair pin bends. Of course, I was in '2' and 'L' on the way down.
  • Didn't feel fatigued after the drive - pretty good leg room at front and carries a weekend luggage for 2/3 people. Having duffel bags in the right size helps
  • Overtaking takes some time getting used to. Flooring the pedal gives you better acceleration and found it works better than changing to 3 -> 2. Also, had to switch off the AC couple of times during tight overtaking moves. Learned from that and didn't attempt anything adventurous since!
  • Got an FE of ~14 Kmpl - pretty decent and should improve after couple of services.
Cheers!
Old 29th April 2012, 16:52   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
Got a quote from 2 dealers in Pune.
They are quoting 4,70,000 on road price after 30k discount. Nothing extra apart from 30k. Not even mud flaps.

Will most probably book it for my wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Me too thinking of booking one for my wife. Had a question though.

Haven't ever come across this, can this car (any AT for that matter) be fitted with a CNG/LPG kit? (Please ignore my ignorance if this is a stupid question!)
I am considering the A star for my wife. Did either of you purchase the A-star finally? If yes, would like to know how was the buying experience? What kind of discounts were offered? How's the ownership experience so far? Thanks in advance.
Old 29th April 2012, 21:30   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
I am considering the A star for my wife. Did either of you purchase the A-star finally? If yes, would like to know how was the buying experience? What kind of discounts were offered? How's the ownership experience so far? Thanks in advance.
Not sure about the current prices and all...

I have been one of the first A-Star AT owners in the forum I suppose.

My car has done 17000 + kms, and following are some of the stuffs noted during this period.

1. So far so good. Did not have many issues. (touch wood)
2. Done 2 trips to and from Kerala. One to Coorg from B'lore. Will be doing one this coming weekend
3. FE has been a consistent 12 + (max I have got was 15 once with an extremely light foot, with 50 - 60 % AC) in Bangalore and 17 + on high ways (full load), both with AC
4. Had a steering column change (precautionary done by Maruti Dealer Service Center) - Nothing major at all

Pros for the car:

1. Great convenience in the city
2. Good turning radius
3. No hassles so far
4. Lower ratios - L and 2, a boon in inclines / slope as well as for some spirited driving
5. Reasonably quick shifting transmission for a torque conveyer AT (better than the same gearbox in SX4) when AC is off. Helps in overtaking a lot. Definitely, keep in mind that this is a 1 L car
6. My wife is loving it overall. She hated all kind of MTs.
7. One free leg. In fact, at times I preferred this convenience factor when choosing the A-Star over my then Baleno (modded a bit) even for long drives
8. Good GC

Cons:

1. Brakes need to be improved. Pedal becomes a bit hard during sudden braking (Brake pads may wear out faster, as in other automatics too, since the usage of brakes is much higher, like whenever the car is completely stopped, but in D)
2. Lack of power (anyway this was expected from a 1 L engine)
3. Drop in performance with AC on
4. Claustrophobic feeling for rear seat passengers (largely due to large headrest in the front)
5. Small boot. To me this was not a priority

Things to be done:

1. Fit sunfilms (definitely as per the Motor Vehicle act guidelines)
2. Get Osram Nightbreaker Plus headlights

Overall, this was one car, which I was not sure whether I would like it, when I bought it, due to the space issues and lack of power. Now, I have to say, I am simply loving the ease of use, practicality, decent FE for an AT and go-anywhere ability (due to good GC, gears that can be held on without upshifting in L, 2 and 3)

Hope the experience is same for others too.
scuderiaferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 11:05   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiaferrari View Post
Hope the experience is same for others too.
Agree with Scuderiaferrari's experience. Would like to add:
  • The A-star AT is a great city car - I'm loving not having to constantly change gears in traffic.
  • For outstation trips, may or may not be suitable for everyone. I'm 6-feet tall and the car practically becomes a 3 seater if I push the driver's seat all the way back. It's managable if you have a small adult or kid sitting behind the driver.
  • The steering position is not very much to my liking. It's a bit too high and your hands feel tired after a long drive. There's no proper place to rest your elbow on, unless you roll down the window.
  • Overtaking on the highways takes some getting used to. It's best to be a little conservative when trying to overtake.
  • Luggage space is adequate for a weekend trip for 3 people. I think it helps to have soft luggage rather than the hard suitcase kinds. And if only 3 people are travelling, then the 50:50 split rear seat helps.
  • Last time I checked, the FE was around 14 Kmpl. The car's only run 1300 Km, so should improve with more on the odo.
  • With regards to offers - I bought the car in March, there was a cash discount of 30k + Corp discount of 2.5k + dealer threw in sunfilm and remote locking as freebies. Not sure what the current offers are.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:01   #414
BHPian

Quote:
I bought it from My car, Pune. The buying experience was good except for the finance. The finance guys at My Car are a tad slow there.
1 tip that I can share is you might end up with multiple quotations based on ur changing requirements/changing discounts with the same dealer, but ensure that the final quote that you have is the one which will be converted into sales order.
Regarding discounts, its the standard one that is published in newspapers. they don't even offer mats extra. It's the same across all dealers for a region, atleast in Pune.
I agree with scuderiaferrari regarding the rear seats.
Did a pune-diveagar trip recently and couple of mumbai trips. No issue at all. The last mumbai trip was with 4 adults and 2 kids. Neve felt the need to do go into the lower gear. "D" is all required.
And finally "Kitna deti hai". Last time I filled, it gave 465 Kms for 28 ltrs. Do the maths. It's giving in the range of 14-16 Kms/ltrs.
Driver seat adjustment is a boon considering me and my wife drive the car.

Cons:
1. My left leg keeps brushing the centre console. Irritates me a lot especially on long drives. I am 5'9''.
2. The foot position gets almost vertical when using pedals with driver seat forward. It pains.
bigwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:37   #415
BHPian

I too bought a A Star auto in March reading the reviews here on TEAM BHP, I am getting a mileage of 8 with A/c in Bangalore city, my wife does not drive more than 40kmph the car has done about 600kms, any pointers to improve fuel efficiancy

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd May 2012 at 13:52. Reason: Please do not quote an entire post. Thanks!
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:20   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz

I bought it from My car, Pune
Thanks, bigwheelz. This is useful info. So when did you purchase the car? What was the discount and on road price in Pune? You can pm me if you want.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:18   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy
Normally it will take time if the car is on. If you switch the car off while refueling, it will come on instantly.
@Aroy, did you mean the other way round ie. gauge will take time if car is off and will come on instantly if gauge (not car) is on ?
Asking because normally, I switch off the engine and dashboard before fuelling. I almost always fill when fuel is at E and do a full tank and notice that once I drive off it takes some kms of driving before the gauge comes to full reading.

But yesterday while fuelling up at Pondy (at Rs6 less per litre than Chennai), I switched off the car, but left the dash-gauges on. After a full tank fill, when I get into the driver-seat, the guage is already at full position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
I too bought a A Star auto in March reading the reviews here on TEAM BHP, I am getting a mileage of 8 with A/c in Bangalore city, my wife does not drive more than 40kmph the car has done about 600kms, any pointers to improve fuel efficiancy
Prashanth, how did you measure the FE ? I think this is the first A*-AT that has reported a single-digit FE - the lowest I got was ~12kmpl and that too was over a full ghat-road drive and with the car fully loaded with people and luggage. Any possibility of under-fuelling by the gas-station guys ?
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:23   #418
BHPian

I measured full tank to full tank, wife drives 99% of the time ac on all the time and she is still not fluent in driving and not over 40, in bumper to bumper traffic, each way is about 8kms

Last edited by s.prashanth : 2nd May 2012 at 16:27. Reason: added ac
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:29   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, bigwheelz. This is useful info. So when did you purchase the car? What was the discount and on road price in Pune? You can pm me if you want.
Hi Mandar,
Unable to PM you. Not sure why.
I bought it in Jan 2012. For the discounts and OTR, See the quote below
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-star-quote.jpg  

Last edited by bigwheelz : 2nd May 2012 at 17:34.
bigwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:35   #420
BHPian

@BigWheelz - I had the buddy list option enabled that's why you could not PM me. I have disabled that option now. Thanks for the info. Very useful. I believe the prices have gone up though, so it would now cost around 5 lacs or so.

Last edited by MandarMax : 2nd May 2012 at 17:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks