Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 23:28   #271
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Karan, I did argue with SA about using synthetic oil and that too of Mobil-1 but he said all K-series engines uses this oil and you have no other choice.
Though we use synthetic oil for Fiat cars as well but their Imported SELENIA engine oil is much much cheaper, I even asked him if I can get the oil from out side, for that he refused and said it will void the warranty, you have to use company recommended oil.
Bro, trust me on this, you can ask him to give that in writing! W.r.t to the KB series engine oil, just to be on the safer side, email the folks from Maruti Suzuki and ask them to answer you query. Just take a print of the reply from Maruti Suzuki and show it to the MASS guys. If I understand correctly, you want to use the mineral oil, and those flks are stopping you from using synthetic one? (Since I didnt understand your issue, ive listed all the possible issues)

Or if its the other way around, where the MASS SA is forcing you to upgrade to synthetic (claiming that it comes by default with it) then you can show the print out and also raise this issue with his Service manager/MASS or Maruti Suzuki.

Or, if he is stopping you from using the synthetic one, you may ask Maruti Suzuki regional office (technical) about the usage of a synthetic engine oil, ofcourse of the same grade and can also ask for their recommended/preffered/apprroved/partner brand.
Old 5th September 2011, 23:45   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeguy View Post
Well, I saw in another blog one user from chennai saying 16 kmpl on city and around 19kmpl on highways on AT !. Is that really possible according to you ?

Is under-anti rust coating required for astar ?

Regarding seats, Im looking for material that doesnt causes much heat on body. In that sense Im thinking fabric seat cover will be better than art leather covers . But the bimal showroom has got just one shade for the astar in fabric type. The other type is g-sport which seems to be costly .

For sunfilm, they are asking me to take 'global' windows sunfilm. Is this a good brand. ?

regards
humveeguy
Fuel Average in Mumbai (Andheri Kurla Road), which has crazy traffic from 8 AM till 10PM, I get an average of 8-10km/L. Whereas on oter stretches of Mumbai, which includes free moving traffic I get 10-11. Whereas on the expressway (Mumbai - Pune), national highways (NH 8, NH4), I got an average of 17-19km/L. All the times, the Airconditioner was on and with 3 people onboard and very less luggage.

If you are getting a good deal for anti rust, then get it done, but dont spend 300-4000 for it. I know a MASS which offers a liquimoly coat, for Rs. 1250. Do not fall for "warranty in this, as it doesnt peel off entirerly, but a few chips on the coating here or there, which can be "touched up" for free, if you have good relations with the SA, or elsewhere.

Seat covers: Art leather ones look good and are VFM, but they surely stick and become sweaty, artificial suede too is horrible in the heat. MAy be you can purchase cotton based cloth, from a furnishing fabrics store and get them stitched for 500 bucks. The "towel" material too is good and inexpensive, but the durability is very low.

Sunfilm: Due to strict RTO rules, I have put the following:
(Note: Make sure thre is the Garware logo on the actual piece of the film and not just taken out of the box. Mine has a hologram, and a yellow stamp.

Front
Garware Cool Vision with 70% VLT (Visible Light Transmission) Rs. 1000
Heat Rejection - 37%%
3 Yrs Warranty

Sides and Rear
Gareware Classic (Charcoal 50) with 50% VLT - Rs 1600
Heat Rejection - 50%
3Yrs Warranty

I have used it on the highways, on the ghats, etc, the front sunfilm especially performs really well, and I remember the days when I used to drive the M800 without the front films: my arm used to burn! The one on the sides too is really good. I would say total VFM
Old 6th September 2011, 09:35   #273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan1609 View Post
Bro, trust me on this, you can ask him to give that in writing! W.r.t to the KB series engine oil, just to be on the safer side, email the folks from Maruti Suzuki and ask them to answer you query. Just take a print of the reply from Maruti Suzuki and show it to the MASS guys. If I understand correctly, you want to use the mineral oil, and those flks are stopping you from using synthetic one? (Since I didnt understand your issue, ive listed all the possible issues)

Or if its the other way around, where the MASS SA is forcing you to upgrade to synthetic (claiming that it comes by default with it) then you can show the print out and also raise this issue with his Service manager/MASS or Maruti Suzuki.

Or, if he is stopping you from using the synthetic one, you may ask Maruti Suzuki regional office (technical) about the usage of a synthetic engine oil, ofcourse of the same grade and can also ask for their recommended/preffered/apprroved/partner brand.
Karan, I am not confused, I just quoted what SA had told me during 2nd service. I am open to any kind of oil change as recommonded by Maruti though I prefer Synthtic oil over mineral oil.
Old 6th September 2011, 10:57   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Karan, I am not confused, I just quoted what SA had told me during 2nd service. I am open to any kind of oil change as recommonded by Maruti though I prefer Synthtic oil over mineral oil.
Sure, actually, I couldn't interpret your post, so listed all the three possiblities that may have arised during your interaction with the SA . If you haven't upgraded already to a synthetic grade, you may continue with the mineral grade, I am sure the folks at Maruti have done way more research and are confident about what they do. I too want to upgrade, but the cost is going to kill me. Approximately 150/ltr of mineral vs. 1100/ltr of synthetic oil. . Please keep me posted. Also, to be on the safer side, please do email Maruti Suzuki confirming the type of oil that comes from the factory along with your manufacturing date.
Old 6th September 2011, 13:40   #275
BANNED

Quote:
Sure, actually, I couldn't interpret your post, so listed all the three possiblities that may have arised during your interaction with the SA . If you haven't upgraded already to a synthetic grade, you may continue with the mineral grade, I am sure the folks at Maruti have done way more research and are confident about what they do. I too want to upgrade, but the cost is going to kill me. Approximately 150/ltr of mineral vs. 1100/ltr of synthetic oil. . Please keep me posted. Also, to be on the safer side, please do email Maruti Suzuki confirming the type of oil that comes from the factory along with your manufacturing date.
Thanks Karan for information, I just asked SA from other service station and has confirmed that they use mineral oil 5W-30 and if you wish they can use synthetic as well.
Old 6th September 2011, 19:21   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Karan for information, I just asked SA from other service station and has confirmed that they use mineral oil 5W-30 and if you wish they can use synthetic as well.
During my cars 3rd service I used mineral oil. If you are using synthetic, which is totally your choice, the interval between oil changes would be 20,000 Kms, which is double of what otherwise would be.

And you are free to use an oil of your choice as long as its ratings match the requirements. Any 10w40 oil should be fine. This will not affect the warranty.
Old 10th September 2011, 15:53   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel Average in Mumbai (Andheri Kurla Road), which has crazy traffic from 8 AM till 10PM, I get an average of 8-10km/L. Whereas on oter stretches of Mumbai, which includes free moving traffic I get 10-11. Whereas on the expressway (Mumbai - Pune), national highways (NH 8, NH4), I got an average of 17-19km/L. All the times, the Airconditioner was on and with 3 people onboard and very less luggage.
Hey Karan. Do you drive the auto? I am sorry I did not see your previous posts. I use the Andheri Kurla/Andheri Sion/ Andheri Ghatkoper to reach Nerul abd I can tell you that the avg I get is about 14-16 kmpl with my Manual tranny. Considering that I have about 17 KMs of Highway to travel everyday, this would be about 12 kmpl on the conjested roads. The expressway surprisingly gives me about 17-19 with speeds of around 140 kmph

Thanks a million for the remainder of the post. This was helpful

Last edited by manson : 10th September 2011 at 17:15.
Old 10th September 2011, 19:42   #278
BHPian

Yup, mine is a manual transmission. The roads are not congested! but much worse! it takes me 15min to reach in the mornings, whereas it takes me 1.15 hrs to return. I thus dont expect a good economy on these roads. I am glad that my post was helpful.

Of late, there is a metal to metal rattle that has begun. I am not sure what is and it has started to annoy me! I will get it checked during the second service!

The car has driven 8600 Kms till now. I will write more about it in my post "Experience a star"
Old 10th September 2011, 20:23   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
The expressway surprisingly gives me about 17-19 with speeds of around 140 kmph
Did you say 140 kph? Are you serious? Can A-Star do these speeds? Or for that matter petrol hatches of this class do these speeds? Recently, I made a 200 KM highway trip on my A-Star AT and I was scared of exceeding 90 kph. In the absence of tacho, I couldn't ascertain engine RPM and hence I thought it safe to stay under 100. If yours has a tacho then please tell me what the RPM was at 140?
Old 10th September 2011, 20:44   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Did you say 140 kph? Are you serious? Can A-Star do these speeds? Or for that matter petrol hatches of this class do these speeds? Recently, I made a 200 KM highway trip on my A-Star AT and I was scared of exceeding 90 kph. In the absence of tacho, I couldn't ascertain engine RPM and hence I thought it safe to stay under 100. If yours has a tacho then please tell me what the RPM was at 140?
pgsagar, yes, these speeds are very easily possible. Here are the approximate rpms in 5th gear

80 kmph at 2.8k

100kmph is at 3.1k

120kmph at about 4k

140 kmph at about 4.8 - 5K

Only once I have gone at about 150kmph on the expressway but that was a dead straight section on a dry day and I did not notice the tacho. Slowed down as I ran out of straight road.

All I can say is dont worry about going to about 120kmph which I do on a daily basis. It's a breeze for the manual atleast, i dont think a 4 speed auto tranney will be very different but that is for the gurus to expand on.

Handling at speeds of 120+ is exceptional and personally I felt it's way better than the Accent which my dad has.

The engine gets thunderously loud (3 pot mill) if you dont have ur ICE on and JK vectras add to the noise level at anything above 120kmph.

But dont worry, you can really go over 100kmph and it's safe to go as the car is very stable at these speeds. As my friend who has a Polo 1.2L trendline says "A* road pakkad ke chalti hai"

Safe driving!
Old 10th September 2011, 22:25   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Did you say 140 kph? Are you serious? Can A-Star do these speeds? Or for that matter petrol hatches of this class do these speeds?
Why not ? I have done 140 in a Spark and a Santro too. May not be quick enough to reach there like other hot hatches but definitely do able.
Old 11th September 2011, 10:52   #282
Senior - BHPian

On a good surface even the M800 could achieve 130, but with a lot of effort. My Alto K10 can easily do 140 (same engine as A*), though I rarely drive above 100, it is reassuring to know that it is possible.
Old 11th September 2011, 20:49   #283
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the response. Good to know that tiny A-Star can do these speeds. But yes, I would keep it under 120 for safety's sake.

Shome, 150 on A-Star? Wow! The capabilities of these small cars really amaze me. Too bad, they didn't provide tacho on my AT.

Also, I had asked long back on my thread if anyone can tell if gear ratio of 5th gear on MT A-Star is same as 4th gear on AT A-Star. If same then both will have identical top speed. Pick will of course differ, MT being faster. Is any one in the know of gear ratios?
Old 12th September 2011, 00:05   #284
BHPian

Quote:

Also, I had asked long back on my thread if anyone can tell if gear ratio of 5th gear on MT A-Star is same as 4th gear on AT A-Star. If same then both will have identical top speed. Pick will of course differ, MT being faster. Is any one in the know of gear ratios?
Hey again.
This is what I know of as I had the same question earlier

4 Speed Automatic Transmission
  • Forward Gear Ratios: 1.875 , 1.568, 1.000 and 0.698 respectively
  • Reverse Gear Ratio of 2.300
Source: Maruti A Star Automatic Price In India - Specifications Features And Color Options

5 Speed Manual Transmission
  • Forward Gear Ratios: 3.454 , 1.904, 1.28, 0.966 and 0.815 respectively
Hope this helps.
Old 12th September 2011, 15:34   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Hey again.
This is what I know of as I had the same question earlier

4 Speed Automatic Transmission
  • Forward Gear Ratios: 1.875 , 1.568, 1.000 and 0.698 respectively
  • Reverse Gear Ratio of 2.300
Source: Maruti A Star Automatic Price In India - Specifications Features And Color Options

5 Speed Manual Transmission
  • Forward Gear Ratios: 3.454 , 1.904, 1.28, 0.966 and 0.815 respectively
Hope this helps.
Thanks Shome for the info. BTW, the ratios are very interesting. AT's 1st gear is near MT's 2nd. AT's 4th at 0.698 is way more overdrive than MT's 5th at 0.815. This means AT should be more fuel-efficient at 4th than MT at 5th. Good for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks