Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 16:43   #316
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Which one is a better option in automatics .... A-Star or the i10?

Following are my comparison points:
  • Engine & power.
  • Comfort.
  • Fuel Efficiency.
Old 4th October 2011, 16:58   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartikars View Post

• Engine & power.
  • Comfort.
  • Fuel Efficiency.
For power, the i10 has the edge. But from what I've read on the forum, the A-Star definitely holds the edge with reference to FE. Friends of mine own the i10 AT and they struggle to get into double digits while the A-star does so easily. Those two criteria are clear cut.

Comfort is something that is subjective. Why don't you sit in both cars and see which suits your needs better? Personally, as someone who is 5'11 in height, I find the i10's inner space just about bearable. Once I extend the seat to be comfortable for me, the rear occupants curse me, so it's a bit of a tug of war there. Never sat in an A-star, so I have no way to form an objective opinion on its comfort levels.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 4th October 2011 at 17:08. Reason: Forgot to add a few words
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 17:06   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
For power, the i10 has the edge. But from what I've read on the forum, the A-Star definitely holds the edge. Friends of mine own the i10 AT and they struggle to get into double digits while the A-star does so easily. Those two criteria are clear cut.

Comfort is something that is subjective. Why don't you sit in both cars and see which suits your needs better? Personally, as someone who is 5'11 in height, I find the i10's inner space just about bearable. Once I extend the seat to be comfortable for me, the rear occupants curse me, so it's a bit of a tug of war there. Never sat in an A-star, so I have no way to form an objective opinion on its comfort levels.
Thanks for the inputs. Thats a very nice piece of information. I want this car for driving in the city. I have a W123 300D Benz for the Highway travels. I need the small AT car to just take my family (mywife, 2 year old daughter & my parents) around in the city. I also don't want my father to drive his Maruti 1000 which has manual gears as he is 63 and traffic in Pune has become terrific.

When you are saying about getting into double digits, are you refering to the fuel efficiency? What is the fuel eficience of both?
Old 4th October 2011, 17:18   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you are saying about getting into double digits, are you refering to the fuel efficiency? What is the fuel eficience of both?
Yes, I was referring to the fuel efficiency. Stupid of me to forgot to write a few words in my haste

I'll just quote Ajmat as far as fuel efficiency of the A-Star goes.

Quote:
ARAI Fuel consumption is 17km/l...

None of us managed to get that figure. Our very enthusiastic driving saw us get approx 12-14km based on what we refilled. If the car is run in and driven in moderation, 15 is achievable.
That's pretty damn good for an automatic, say what you will.

As for the i10, well, an entire thread is dedicated to it. Most of that thread is not very kind to the i10 AT, it has to be said.

Quote:
I want this car for driving in the city. I have a W123 300D Benz for the Highway travels. I need the small AT car to just take my family (mywife, 2 year old daughter & my parents) around in the city. I also don't want my father to drive his Maruti 1000 which has manual gears as he is 63 and traffic in Pune has become terrific.
If you drive a Benz around, an A-star will probably be a bit of a step down. if you need better Fuel efficiency, the A-Star AT is what you need. If you can't do without the bells and whistles, the i10 AT is the only real choice you have at a similar price point. It's by no means cavernous, but the i10 should suit your needs just fine.

Important note; rear space is poor according to Ajmat's review of the A-Star AT. Take that into consideration too.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 17:21   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs. Thats a very nice piece of information. I want this car for driving in the city. I have a W123 300D Benz for the Highway travels. I need the small AT car to just take my family (mywife, 2 year old daughter & my parents) around in the city. I also don't want my father to drive his Maruti 1000 which has manual gears as he is 63 and traffic in Pune has become terrific.

Hi, just got a i10 Sportz AT for the missus. Was also in a similar dilemma. My 2 cents

1 For seating 4, i10 is better than the A-Star. Definitely more rear leg space.

2. My father, who is 63 incidentally, loved the all round visibility, the rear wiper + defogger, the chunky ORVM and the easy ingress/egress which is easy on his arthritic knees.

3. Adequate power from the Kappa2. Definitely doesn't feel under-powered. Can't comment on A-Star.

4. FE - getting around 10 kmpl - the mileage is around 700KM. I think i can expect 11-11.5 kmpl maybe. A-Star could be more efficient. Doesn't matter much for me really since the car is driven around 800km a month max.

5. No ABS/Airbags unless you go in for the Asta variant. I personally didn't want to pay 6.3 lacs for a hatch like i10.

6. Ride quality sucks. But then, the A-Star isn't any better. My daily drive is an Accord, so maybe I'm being a bit critical.

7. A-Star delivery time was quoted as 2 months minimum and that completely put me off.

Last edited by d_himan : 4th October 2011 at 17:23.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 13:33   #321
BHPian

Hi Astar fans,

I need some help here. I see that in rainy conditions, the rear window of the Astar AT becomes completely dark with mist on the inside and suspended water drops on the outside. Im trying to evaluate the best solution that is affordable also among the following.

1. An after market ceramic defogger from ebay that comes in a small plastic encasing and runs from the cigarette ligher:2000 Rs for a 150 W/ 3000 Rs for a 200 Watt heater. Cheap solution, but I wonder if will cause problem to the sunfilm pasted on the rear of the glass.

2. Replace with the actual defogger glass used in the ZXI. But maruti person is telling (not sure) I may have to change the ECU also for this in the VXi, and they cannot do that within the maruti shop !. I suspect the glass will cost 5K.

3. Adding a rear wiper only to the back hood (without wash pump/sprayer). Not sure how much it will cost. But I believe I can easily get hold of a cheap rear wiper from an old alto ....

Readers opinions are welcome.
hg;
Old 11th October 2011, 18:52   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeguy View Post
Hi Astar fans,

I need some help here. I see that in rainy conditions, the rear window of the Astar AT becomes completely dark with mist on the inside and suspended water drops on the outside. Im trying to evaluate the best solution that is affordable also among the following.

1. An after market ceramic defogger from ebay that comes in a small plastic encasing and runs from the cigarette ligher:2000 Rs for a 150 W/ 3000 Rs for a 200 Watt heater. Cheap solution, but I wonder if will cause problem to the sunfilm pasted on the rear of the glass.

2. Replace with the actual defogger glass used in the ZXI. But maruti person is telling (not sure) I may have to change the ECU also for this in the VXi, and they cannot do that within the maruti shop !. I suspect the glass will cost 5K.

3. Adding a rear wiper only to the back hood (without wash pump/sprayer). Not sure how much it will cost. But I believe I can easily get hold of a cheap rear wiper from an old alto ....

Readers opinions are welcome.
hg;
1. Avoid this option the heater may cook your film.
2. This is the best bet, as it will preserve your warranty, as well as get you warranty for the new glass/washer/heater combo.
3. I suspect that the sun film is the culprit for darkening the glass. Just the wiper may not serve, as the fog that collects inside is due to the cool air of the AC hitting hot glass. The droplets combined with the film result in an opaque glass. So your best bet is option 2.

I also wanted to get the rear demister/wiper glass for my Alto K10, but it seems that it is a long and expensive affair, so I gave it up. At least with A Star you have an option.
Old 12th October 2011, 17:08   #323
BHPian

Quote:

• Engine & power.
  • Comfort.
  • Fuel Efficiency.
Engine & power: i10
Comfort: i10
Fuel Efficiency: A-Star
Panko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 16:41   #324
BHPian

My dad wants an automatic car just for city driving (no highways what so ever) and currently only 2 A/Ts in market i10 and A-Star and he wants to buy within in a weeks time.

Few things i need advice/clarification on,
1. How high are the front seats, i believe i10 has a high seating position that A*Star correct ?
2. How good is the resale value for A-star A/T, since i dont see many A-Stars around chennai. i10 is a frequent sight.
3. Which steering (i10 or A-Star) is better and needs less input to drive. Dad liked the honda city's steering very much, how harder is the steering compared to city's ?
4. Maruti's after sales service is good. How good is Hyundai's after sales service (never owned a hyundai so dont know)?
5. Which has a better AC, review said A-Star's AC is not that effective. How is i10's ?

Iam trying to convince dad to buy i10 because its better looking, better space and better resale value (i guessing that because i see a lot of i10 around). The only thing thats stopping him from going to i10 is the price difference of ~70K.
Old 30th December 2011, 18:56   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramharis View Post
My dad wants an automatic car just for city driving (no highways what so ever) and currently only 2 A/Ts in market i10 and A-Star and he wants to buy within in a weeks time.

Few things i need advice/clarification on,
1. How high are the front seats, i believe i10 has a high seating position that A*Star correct ?
2. How good is the resale value for A-star A/T, since i dont see many A-Stars around chennai. i10 is a frequent sight.
3. Which steering (i10 or A-Star) is better and needs less input to drive. Dad liked the honda city's steering very much, how harder is the steering compared to city's ?
4. Maruti's after sales service is good. How good is Hyundai's after sales service (never owned a hyundai so dont know)?
5. Which has a better AC, review said A-Star's AC is not that effective. How is i10's ?

Iam trying to convince dad to buy i10 because its better looking, better space and better resale value (i guessing that because i see a lot of i10 around). The only thing thats stopping him from going to i10 is the price difference of ~70K.
I have the A* for more than 6 months now and I can tell you that an automatic in the city is a great choice. Now that said I had to wait 6 weeks from date of booking to get my A*. I dont know the current wait time for i10Auto but I guess it might be shorter. Folks who own one might be able to comment. If the wait time is a deal breaker for you then i10 it is.

The A* seating is nice and high and provides a good view of the road. Its easy to make out the edges of the car while driving.

Not sure of the resale value. However, as a rule of thumb most Maruti models provide the highest resale value.

The A* steering is pretty good but not very soft. Especially near the extremes the steering is a little hard on the a*. Not sure about i10.

My other car is a Hyundai accent. Service is good but no comparison to Maruti. I would rate Maruti a 9 so far and Hyundai about 6. In general Hyundai cars are almost twice as expensive as Maruti to maintain.

I stay in Bangalore so the A/C hardly gets used. My car has not seen a summer yet so I am not sure how good it really is. Whenever I have used it, my wife has asked me to turn the "damn" thing off. So it must therefore be at least average to good!!

One more point is mileage. I have never got < 10 and get a regular FE of 11kmpl. i10 might struggle to give anything > 9.

Whatever you decide, your dad will enjoy the AT
Old 30th December 2011, 20:46   #326
BHPian

Thanks Ash,
There is one White A-Star currently available in chennai. Have asked both Hyundai and Maruti to bring the car for Test Drive. So dad can have a back to back test drive and feel both the cars, I going to let him decide which car he wants and we will take it from there.
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:46   #327
BHPian

Quote:

• Engine & power.
  • Comfort.
  • Fuel Efficiency.
It all depends on the parameters that you are looking at if it is power and space then go for I 0 , i have an A star At , the FE is good gives me about 11 to 12 on city roads with heavy traffic .
quite smooth to handle.Rear Space is bad, ideally for kids

But overall it is a good car and i would recommend A star At anytime to I 10
Old 9th January 2012, 22:17   #328
BHPian

Got a quote from 2 dealers in Pune.
They are quoting 4,70,000 on road price after 30k discount. Nothing extra apart from 30k. Not even mud flaps.

Will most probably book it for my wife.
Old 20th January 2012, 17:42   #329
BHPian

Me too thinking of booking one for my wife. Had a question though.

Haven't ever come across this, can this car (any AT for that matter) be fitted with a CNG/LPG kit? (Please ignore my ignorance if this is a stupid question!)
Old 20th January 2012, 17:46   #330
Senior - BHPian

No question is stupid - we are all here to learn.
AFAIK, the type of fuel (petrol vs CNG/LPG) does not have anything to do with the transmission being MT or AT - so yes, AT cars can be fitted with alternate fuels.

That said, most of the boot space would be gone if you go that way. Infact with the i10, you would still have some space left - with the A-Star it is a complete TaTa to boot-space.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks