Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2014, 11:42   #7021
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

This happens when the felt material on the door sill absorbs water and retains it. When you roll down the window and then back up the glass squeezes the lining and thereby the accumulated water which then shows up as streaks.

There is nothing that you can do about it, it is just something you will have to live with. My Mitsubishi also has the same issue while my Fiat & Suzuki do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
hi

I’ve been noticing that the windows on my vento show a lot of streaks sometimes and it really is very annoying especially when it crops up just after a toll booth ; that too during the night.
I have never noticed so many streaks on the windows on my i10 and i do take a lot of effort to clean both the cars.
Not sure if I am missing something .
I even asked the 3M guys as to why it was happening and they said most VW cars are like that. I don’t know how true that is .
Can someone let me know if I need to do something different .
Old 10th May 2014, 19:52   #7022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
This happens when the felt material on the door sill absorbs water and retains it. When you roll down the window and then back up the glass squeezes the lining and thereby the accumulated water which then shows up as streaks.

There is nothing that you can do about it, it is just something you will have to live with. My Mitsubishi also has the same issue while my Fiat & Suzuki do not.

hi

Thanks !

May I ask how you are dealing with it ?
Taking care as to drying up of the felt lining before operation of the windows would be one; but won’t this “on and off " damp condition spoil the felt lining ? Is there an easier way to live with it ?
Old 11th May 2014, 10:09   #7023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
You must weigh the features/performance/quality/whatever disappointed you against the price you are paying for it. Being a German car doesn't warrant it to endow every trait of a German car for the competent price it has been offered at. What were those two German cars you've driven if I may ask?

If you are after bells and whistles Verna is your best bet. There's no match for the levels of equipment it comes with, in the segment.
I have driven a Bimmer 530i and a Merc SUV in the US as well as the Opel Astra in India. They delivered much better value for money than did the Vento. And that's also why I made a reference to the Indica.

The "features/performance/quality/whatever disappointed you against the price" is certainly a good objective exercise to undertake in absolute terms, but when I compare that with its peers, I didn't find the Vento standing out much. The Bimmer and the Merc as well as the Opel stood out strikingly. I didn't see the Vento doing that.

Quote:
I haven't come across such problem with vento on the forum so far. Anyways, the vehicle can't be held accountable unless proved so. Excessive oil consumption can happen if you lug the engine too much or use adulterated fuel. If mechanical damage was the culprit you could've noticed easily.
I guess I only classified it as a "mechanical" issue to distinguish from "non-mechanical" issues. There are three other cars in the family fuelling up at the same fuel pump and none of them - not even the Vento - has shown any signs of having adulterated fuel. It is certainly possible that there is a one-off problem with the car I own and is a not a general problem with the Vento (but I have already mentioned that in my post).

As for the lugging the engine, I think would be difficult to do that with the Vento. In fact, as compared to what the the gear-change indicator suggests I usually end up driving in a higher gear given that I am used to other cars. So thanks for the pointers, but no, I don't think lugging or the fuel quality is the reason for the oil consumption I am seeing.

Quote:

P.S:
No hard feelings and welcome to Team-BHP mate
Thanks, Pferdestarke, and no, no hard feelings. Like I said in my concluding remark, the Vento is an excellent car, but I would look at options before buying one. Both those opinions stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
@ Suhasm
You are right, in the 80's, while working in the UK, I had a Polo and a Passat diesel. These two cars were just brilliant, gave absolutely no trouble during the ownership. Even in the 80's, there was a 6 year anti corrosion warranty and a 3 year paint warranty. I drive a Vento diesel now and even though I am happier than you are, that quality is lacking now and I agree that we are being taken for granted.
I never had the problem with oil consumption. Even though I check the oil level periodically, I never had to top up the oil. The car has done 29 k. Your oil consumption figures would have me worried and I feel it should be looked into.
In spite of everything, it is a good car with excellent torque and power with good driving dynamics.
Thanks, premc44. The car is up for servicing now and this will certainly be on my list of things to have checked. I do believe though, VW has learnt the lesson and they have spiffed up the Vento.
suhasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 11:11   #7024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasm View Post
I didn't find the Vento standing out much. The Bimmer and the Merc as well as the Opel stood out strikingly. I didn't see the Vento doing that.
I can finally perceive your point here. Driving a Vento after having driven a 5-series and a Merc wouldn't impress you up to par anyway. On a relevant note, you must recognize the fact that there's quite a variance between German cars sold in India and elsewhere, owing to outrageous import duties and taxes. But differences are mostly confined to utility/luxury features without any any undermining in the build quality and safety, unlike their competitors.(No offense to the car owners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasm View Post
In fact, as compared to what the the gear-change indicator suggests I usually end up driving in a higher gear given that I am used to other cars
Did you mean that you usually up shift early even before the indicator shows up? AFAIK, the gear shift indicators are programmed for frugality not for performance (means the indicator shows up early) and if you're shifting even before that, would obviously stress out the engine.
Old 11th May 2014, 20:26   #7025
BHPian

Here is my take on on vento. Just back from Bangalore --> Ramanathapuram --> Ramanathapuram (also visit to Rameshwaram) --> Bangalore trip, in my 7500 km completed Vento.
After 6 months and 7,500kms I am a happy customer of VW Vento. This is my 4th personal car and 5th in the family. After 16 years of driving and nearly half a million KMs of driving in various cars(both in and outside the country), my take is Vento is more value for the money I paid ( I am yet to visit service station, so this may be very early feedback). I am comparing with other cars/muvs below C+ segment.

Yes the oil consumption is on bit higher side. My car has taken nearly 700 ml of oil for first 7,500kms. I ensure that engine oil is just above the mid point in the oil level checker rod.

Another note :
This was my first late night highway driving, and even with philips EV, the headlights are a big let off, my previous Sumo, Indica, Swift (both new and old models) had far better spread and visibility than my vento. I am not sure whether it is focus issue or the design issue :-(

Any comments.

Last edited by manjubp : 11th May 2014 at 20:41.
Old 15th May 2014, 13:36   #7026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Here is my take on on vento. Just back from Bangalore --> Ramanathapuram --> Ramanathapuram (also visit to Rameshwaram) --> Bangalore trip, in my 7500 km completed Vento.
After 6 months and 7,500kms I am a happy customer of VW Vento. This is my 4th personal car and 5th in the family. After 16 years of driving and nearly half a million KMs of driving in various cars(both in and outside the country), my take is Vento is more value for the money I paid ( I am yet to visit service station, so this may be very early feedback). I am comparing with other cars/muvs below C+ segment.

Yes the oil consumption is on bit higher side. My car has taken nearly 700 ml of oil for first 7,500kms. I ensure that engine oil is just above the mid point in the oil level checker rod.

Another note :
This was my first late night highway driving, and even with philips EV, the headlights are a big let off, my previous Sumo, Indica, Swift (both new and old models) had far better spread and visibility than my vento. I am not sure whether it is focus issue or the design issue :-(

Any comments.
More than agree that me too is a happy customer of VW Vento and it is certainly VFM.

About the oil consumption: I just had the 'complimentary' check-up and oil top-up was not required. Oil level is still within the prescribed limits on the level check rod.

On headlights: Again I have to agree. I changed stock bulbs to Philips Extreme Vision but there is still huge scope for improvement.

I'm waiting for VW to come-up with projector lamps like what they have done in Skoda Rapid, so that I can change the entire set and have my night drives peacefully.
Old 15th May 2014, 13:57   #7027
BHPian

Quote:
This was my first late night highway driving, and even with philips EV, the headlights are a big let off
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
On headlights: Again I have to agree. I changed stock bulbs to Philips Extreme Vision but there is still huge scope for improvement.
I hear this from Vento owners quite a lot and yes the headlamps are really abysmal. Guys, why don't you consider an after market projector lamp installation from a well reputed mods expert? Also check out these imported assembly units.

P.S: I am in no way related to the retailer in the above mentioned link nor I am promoting his products. I've posted this only in the interest of fellow members.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 15th May 2014 at 13:58.
Pferdestarke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 18:25   #7028
BHPian

Gentlemen,

My apollos are on their last legs. Any suggestion on the tyres to be changed to?

Will be putting up my 30k review shortly

Sid
Old 20th May 2014, 00:22   #7029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
Any suggestion on the tyres to be changed to?
Either of them.
  • Michelin P3ST 195 60 R15
  • Continental CPC2 195 60 R15
  • Yokohama S Drive 205 55 R15
  • MRF Zlo 205 55 R15

Do check out Snapdeal as they were giving very good price for tyres. Pick your poison.
Old 20th May 2014, 00:26   #7030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Either of them.
  • Michelin P3ST 195 60 R15
  • Continental CPC2 195 60 R15
  • Yokohama S Drive 205 55 R15
  • MRF Zlo 205 55 R15

Do check out Snapdeal as they were giving very good price for tyres. Pick your poison.

I will stick to 195/65 size only, don't want to ruin the ride quality. I also have the Yoko S drives too on my radar.

Thanks for the list

Sid
Old 20th May 2014, 00:48   #7031
Senior - BHPian

With a hard compound tire like the Yokohama S drive there won't be much left of ride quality. The S are sporty tires more suited for the dragster style of driving compared to the others in your list which are more of all rounders and will give much better ride quality. The correct option from Yokohama would be the AVS dB series.

Quote:
I will stick to 195/65 size only, don't want to ruin the ride quality. I also have the Yoko S drives too on my radar.

Thanks for the list

Sid
Old 20th May 2014, 22:39   #7032
BHPian

Quote:
I hear this from Vento owners quite a lot and yes the headlamps are really abysmal. Guys, why don't you consider an after market projector lamp installation from a well reputed mods expert? Also check out these imported assembly units.

P.S: I am in no way related to the retailer in the above mentioned link nor I am promoting his products. I've posted this only in the interest of fellow members.
Thanks. Concern is with warranty. VW doesn't does not accept the changes in electricals. I am not sure if they are hot pluggable, without any wire cut. Let me talk to the sales persons and get more info
Old 21st May 2014, 14:53   #7033
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Concern is with warranty. VW doesn't does not accept the changes in electricals. I am not sure if they are hot pluggable, without any wire cut. Let me talk to the sales persons and get more info
Everything you need to know about 3rd party projector installation is here. Many members on our forum got installation done from the same person.

Hope this helps!
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:13   #7034
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen,

My apollos are on their last legs. Any suggestion on the tyres to be changed to?

Will be putting up my 30k review shortly

Sid
Michellin p3ST 195/60/15. Best combination of grip and comfort and are super quite too. Bargain hard - you might get for 5500-5700 a piece.
Old 22nd May 2014, 19:25   #7035
Senior - BHPian

Well to answer your last query first, the easier or rather the only way to deal with this is to ignore it and if possible then not to roll the window glass unless absolutely necessary. As for the felt lining it is designed to sustain both dry and wet conditions so that is not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
hi

Thanks !

May I ask how you are dealing with it ?
Taking care as to drying up of the felt lining before operation of the windows would be one; but won’t this “on and off " damp condition spoil the felt lining ? Is there an easier way to live with it ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks