Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2010, 13:00   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

VW had a very high reputation for quality. Of buying a second-hand VW, people would say that, yes, the parts are expensive, but don't worry, you won't need many.

Whilst certain cars such as the Golf, especially the GTI, were always "aspirational" cars, I don't think that VW is regarded as more "premium" than Honda in my mother country. They are certainly not regarded as being in the same bracket as BMW or Merc. Just being German is not enough!
Old 28th August 2010, 13:14   #407
BHPian

i have been waiting for details of the vento since it was announced. and i feel it's a mixed bag.
while it's spot-on as far as the pricing goes, it has got features that almost amount to a full list. throw in the tank-like build of the VWs, and service stuff like a 15k interval and emergency on road assistance- it makes for a great package at first glance.

but when i looked at it closely, i realised two things- first they've presented an all-or-none option. either you take the completely stripped down model or you take the one with everything in it. and since the stripped down really doesn't have anything... you'll end up choosing the highline.

secondly, if i were to buy the vento, inspite of paying close to 10L for it, i would still somehow get the feeling that i'm being shortchanged. agreed they're giving it cheaper, but in return there are some really surprising omissions and deviations from what would be expected.
-such as the 14" stepney, that ends up being about 1.5cm smaller than the other 4 tyres. what kind of a cost cutting measure is that?
-then there's the music system without usb, aux and steering mounted remote.
-throw in a wierdly designed central locking system.
-and lasty there's the limited color options.

hopefully some of these shall be corrected in the near future, but they really need to introduce a comfortline variant. they also need to offer the abs/airbags as an optional pack across all variants. and correct the tyre and music system. now that will make the car a true winner!
Old 28th August 2010, 19:49   #408
BHPian

14" spare wheel have tyre to match the dia of the ones on the 15" alloy, the spare wheel doesnt really require an alloy, how often do you use them anyways?

I agree to your music system comment, but the thought seems like many upgrade the OE unit to the one with GPS

central locking system should be corrected by a firmware upgrade

limited color to differentiate the taxi market

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
-such as the 14" stepney, that ends up being about 1.5cm smaller than the other 4 tyres. what kind of a cost cutting measure is that?

hopefully some of these shall be corrected in the near future, but they really need to introduce a comfortline variant. they also need to offer the abs/airbags as an optional pack across all variants. and correct the tyre and music system. now that will make the car a true winner!
Old 28th August 2010, 19:53   #409
BHPian

Quote:
first they've presented an all-or-none option. either you take the completely stripped down model or you take the one with everything in it. and since the stripped down really doesn't have anything... you'll end up choosing the highline.
Perhaps its there way of regulating the demand. They might not want to have the same waiting list issue as with Polo.

Quote:
Dear, there are few vehicles in India that offer same size alloys as spare. If its not an alloy it does not matter whether its 14 of 15 inch (remember the external diameter remains the same for 14" and 15"); its simply a temporary solution. With 14 inch we will save a little of our hard earned moolah too.

I agree with your other two issues. But is it a deal breaker? In fact, the fact that these are the only issues that you found shows how good a car Vento is for the price they offer!

Cheers .
Old 28th August 2010, 20:22   #410
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Very nice review GTO, I am sure the diesel Vento would pick sales from Jetta and Laura diesel sales.
100% agreed! People are already calling the Vento a mini-Jetta. Just as the City takes away a good number of potential Civic owners, so will the Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Volkswagen plans Russian tyres for its vento?
That's terrible news! I honestly don't see the sense in this move. India has a strong OEM tyre base and I doubt sourcing tyres from Russia would work out much cheaper. Either ways, Indian or Russian rubber....BHPians would do well in upgrading the tyres right from the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Just a question, GTO. Is there a particular reason why you have excluded the Ford Fiesta 1.6 in the direct comparison between all the models in the same price range???
The Fiesta, in price and size, has now moved a segment lower. It's cabin space is comparable to a Swift Dzire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
VW had a very high reputation for quality.
You bet. The last couple of years in particular, VW has suffered a shoddy reputation in terms of reliability. I remember the nightmares that early Passats owners (in India) had to go through.
Old 28th August 2010, 21:31   #411

@Delhites

The VW-Vento has arrived in the showrooms today and I could see it in detail at Bhasin Moters at South extension -1 showroom this morning.

My findings:
- No major observations other than what discussed in this thread.
- No nonsense europian design as always.
- Hump at rear seems to be very high
- Did not give me a WoW feeling and front is very similar to POLO
- Looks very sturdy and feel of a real german car

Now if BHPans can help me on choosing between Diesel Trendline(On Road@9,01,517) and Diesel Highline (Onroad@10,39,219) - Difference here is 1,38,000.

HERE IS THE GIST OF CONFUSION IN CHOSING HL OR TL(SAVE 138K):

I WILL SURELY MISS(NEED INPUTS):
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
- Dual airbags, driver and co-driver side
- Anti-theft system with interior surveillance and back-up alarm
- 4 power windows (with one-touch up and down only on driver’s side)
- Electrically adjustable outside rear view mirrors
- Multi-function display includes digital speed display, fuel effi ciency, distance till empty and service reminder
I NEVER WANTED (MAY BE I WILL BE HAPPY WITHOUT)
- Co-driver’s seat adjustment from rear seat for additional legroom
I THINK I SHOULD MANAGE WITHOUT
- 15inch Alloy in HL (TL with 14 inch steel wheels)
- Body-coloured exterior door handles and mirrors
- Rear centre armrest
- Storage pockets on front seat backs
- Leather wrapped steering wheel, gearshift knob & handbrake lever
- Interior chrome package (light, AC vents,handbrake knob & gearshift)
- Remote opening of boot lid with key remote
- Climatronic’ automatic AC with rear vents, dust/pollen filter
- Remote opening and closing of windows with key remote
- Chrome finish on front air dam, trunk and fog light surrounds
- Metallic/Pearl effect paint
- Pinch-guard safety for all 4 power windows
- Height-adjustable driver’s seat
I CAN GET ALTERNATIVES TO MANAGE (COULD BE BETTER) FOR ABOUT 20K
- Superior ‘Livon’ fabric upholstery with modified stitches
- Fog lights, front and rear
- Radio with CD-MP3 / WMA player and 4 speakers includes roof antenna
- Remote control for central locking, with 2 foldable keys for ease of carrying in the pocket
I DONT SEE IN EITHER OF THEM
- A lower hump or plain at rear

Quote:
all-or-none option.
either you take the completely stripped down model or you take the one with everything in it.

-14" stepney, that ends up being about 1.5cm smaller?
-Music system without usb, aux & steering mounted control.
COMPLETETLY AGREE
Old 28th August 2010, 22:25   #412
Senior - BHPian

Acceleration figures

I don't know if someone has posted this- Auto Bild Magazine has carried a review/test and these are the estimated acceleration figures:
Diesel Vento: 0-100 kmph=13.5 secs
Petrol Vento (Manual):0-100 kmph=14.5 secs

To give a relative comparison, here are the figures from the same magazine on ANHC:
ANHC:0-100 kmph=10 secs.

Last edited by Guna : 28th August 2010 at 22:29.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:21   #413
Senior - BHPian

Something wrong with the figure here,the kerb weights of the City and the Vento are almost same(1100 kg i think).So with just a 10 bhp in power difference how can there be a 4.s difference in time?
Also highly doubt City can do 0-100 in 10s.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:22   #414
Senior - BHPian

Could not help rating this thread 5 stars.
How would you compare Vento diesel with Laura 1.8Tsi from driver's perspective.

What I would really want is POLO with that diesel engine.

Last edited by oxyzen : 28th August 2010 at 23:23.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:44   #415
Senior - BHPian

Differences in interior between Polo HL and Vento HL are
  • Decorative chrome fitting on steering
  • Climate control
Anything else?
Old 28th August 2010, 23:55   #416
Senior - BHPian

I raised this earlier since i didnt get a response, posting once again.

- Is it ABS+EBD or standalone ABS? If it is standalone, is it a 4 channel one?
- 2-Din System - is it a standard 2 DIN size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Differences in interior between Polo HL and Vento HL are
  • Decorative chrome fitting on steering
  • Climate control
Anything else?
You can add internally adjustable OVRM to this list.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:55   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Something wrong with the figure here,the kerb weights of the City and the Vento are almost same(1100 kg i think).So with just a 10 bhp in power difference how can there be a 4.s difference in time?
Also highly doubt City can do 0-100 in 10s.
Only later I realized these (Ventos) are 'estimated' figures. But the real figures are not likely to be off by more then 1 sec.
Also, I trust the ACI's figure of 10.5 secs for ANHC.
Old 29th August 2010, 00:03   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
VW had a very high reputation for quality. Of buying a second-hand VW, people would say that, yes, the parts are expensive, but don't worry, you won't need many.

Whilst certain cars such as the Golf, especially the GTI, were always "aspirational" cars, I don't think that VW is regarded as more "premium" than Honda in my mother country. They are certainly not regarded as being in the same bracket as BMW or Merc. Just being German is not enough!
I agree, I hope we wouldn't have to say the parts are expensive!

I was in the U.K a couple of months ago and had the privilege of driving the the Civic Type R. The feel that you get driving the Honda is something that you have to experience yourself and wouldn't mind paying extra just for the drivetrain. If you add how reliable they are, you would wonder whats so special about others.

Honda and the other Japs don't value some features. I remember Jetta which had the heated seats (in 2000) when no other Japs had the same thing. Are features superficial to real auto enthusiasts? Other than climate control I dont find anything that Vento has vs City that important.

(confession: I have owned lots of Hondas, one BMW and one Lexus IS. I am in the process of buying the Vento because Honda doesn't have one in diesel. What does it take Honda to introduce one?)
Old 29th August 2010, 11:00   #419
Senior - BHPian

Dear Gto

Wonderful review as usual. My boss was looking forward to replace his city vtec with vento. the launch date is 7th sept.
Old 29th August 2010, 11:02   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post

@noopster

You are right, "paying through their noses" is indeed a strong statement (even extreme). Just to make my stance clearer on this, let me say that the original statement was made based on the variants of the Vento itself and not compared to the City. As you know, the difference in on-road price of the Trendline and Highline is a whopping 1.5L. This is such a stereotypical case of a company following the marketing guidebook of the $.99 sale. Lure people in with the base variant's pricing, then tell them they can't have the car in the colour of their choice and with the features they want. Feed them spiel about VW's Germanic qualities and they are hooked.
Agreed. The "trendline" is a bit of a joke. I don't see much appeal in it for the retail consumer at all, maybe taxi fleets would leap at it.

Quote:
As far as the City is concerned, I'd be the first to agree that its overpriced, and that the Vento's pricing set the cat among the pigeons.
Seriously, if they matched Vento's pricing today, I'd probably got for it. But the dealer dude seemed quite firm that 15k was the max discount I could hope for.

Quote:
A quick correction, Honda's brand value in India is not based on the 100cc motorbikes (although now that too is a factor), it harks back to the times of license Raj, when the options available to Indian customers was limited to very few cars. Then, some people brought back their Accords and Corollas (humble cars in the west) - despite the high import duties - that were seen as being the cars to aspire for.
I was barely driveable age back then (oh well at least not car-affordable age!) so the OHC always seems wildly overpriced to me

Quote:
I've not test driven the Vento, so I'd reserve my judgment on it. Let us know what you think of it vis-a-vis the City.
No doubt about that at all. I am actually surpised that people are booking these babies without even sitting at the wheel first. But not my place to judge eh?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks