Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 19:06   #3271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Vento is definitely one up over the city in terms of handling, ride/build quality and GC.

City fights back in terms of FE, power, Acceleration, Perceived reliability vis-a-vis the german.

Its pretty even on other parameters.

VW service costs are still a grey area and clear picture is yet to emerge. I would assume what you spend on a honda on 3 different service intervals (5k kms) will be equivalent/marginally lesser to the 15k service charges for the vento. VW pre-sales is nothing to write home about and customer care is almost non-existant.

I beleive honda is offering huge discounts (around 75k) on the city and you may get the V-MT for the same price range as the VW HL. I can see only ACC/rear parking sensors in the vento over and above the V-MT, Am I missing anything else? Test drive both, prioritize your requirements and take a pick. If I were in your shoes, I would be slightly inclined towards the city considering the overall package that it is. TDI is a completely different ball game altogether and hence you see more of diesels on the forum compared to the petrols!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I am interested to know about it's handling, FE, pull, power, etc. Most of the ownership threads are also about the Vento TDI, and I found only one (Chet's thread) on the Vento petrol MT (apart from Noops' AT one).
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 22:58   #3272
BHPian

Just received a call from the dealer today that my car will be delayed by 2 weeks. He said that Volkswagen has mailed them to inform customers that because a 5 day holiday in plant on Diwali there will be delay.

What I don't understand is that he said 3 days ago that the car has been allotted and it just needs to start from the plant. Today he is saying that the car is manufactured and it is yet to start from the plant and he does not know why Volkswagen is not dispatching cars. And as is reported the problem is with the blue color only. Rest all colors are available. If I change my choice to White or silver he can deliver the car anytime.

I am not sure what is Volkswagen's problem with this color.

Earlier the timeline were around Dhanteras, yesterday he said he would not be able to Dhanteras and said would try for 30th and today he said around 12 Nov.

I am planning to call the Gurgaon dealer tomorrow to check what is the status with him for Blue Color. I am really dissapointed today.
Old 18th October 2011, 23:06   #3273
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't the HU of the pre facelift vento play mp3 songs burnt on a DVD? Tried today but no luck.
Old 18th October 2011, 23:34   #3274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Doesn't the HU of the pre facelift vento play mp3 songs burnt on a DVD? Tried today but no luck.
Its not a DVD player right? I think it only reads regular cd s

Last edited by ventolute : 18th October 2011 at 23:35.
Old 19th October 2011, 19:46   #3275
Senior - BHPian

I thought I read in the forum that it recognises the file format as long as it is mp3. I may be mistaken though.

I thought it may be a good substitute to burning 10 different CD's but alas, I have no other choice now! Starting to hate this HU (and speakers) with every passing day.

Me thinks, It wont be too soon before I throw the aesthetics in the trash and go for a HU and speakers upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Its not a DVD player right? I think it only reads regular cd s
Old 19th October 2011, 20:01   #3276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I thought I read in the forum that it recognises the file format as long as it is mp3. I may be mistaken though.

I thought it may be a good substitute to burning 10 different CD's but alas, I have no other choice now! Starting to hate this HU (and speakers) with every passing day.

Me thinks, It wont be too soon before I throw the aesthetics in the trash and go for a HU and speakers upgrade.
I remember having read that as well.But i guess it was on some one's thread who had upgraded to a different HU. Me , got tired of hunting around for Cd,s as well in the car and just went ahead and upgraded Hu and speakers.Though i didnt go in for any high end unit, but the VFM Witson and a good set of speakers and amps.
Old 20th October 2011, 14:53   #3277

Hi Friends,

This is my first post on T-BHP, although I had been a silent reader and benefited from all of you quite a lot. I would be getting a Vento Trendline TDI in a week from now and had some questions on the upgrades I am planning to do:

1) As you might already be aware, the Trendline does not have ABS or Alloys and comes with puny 14 inchers. What are my options to upgrade to better quality rubber (read: Yoko/Michelin) on the stock steel rims? Will it support 15 inch tyres without me having to upgrade to alloys? My priorities are better gripping and braking without too much compromise on ride quality. Total budget is less than 15k.

2) There is a Breeze Edition currently on offer on the Trendline with which I get a touchscreen HU with BT, GPS, video player and a few more bells and whistles that fits perfectly on the console. The sound quality on the stock speakers was above average and will mostly likely need a speaker upgrade to sound better.
If I do not opt for the Breeze edition, I get an Insurance fee waiver that would have costed me approx. 32K. Will I be able to get a much better ICE done for under 35k or should I just opt for the stock HU with Pioneer speakers? I am very keen on sound quality more than aesthetic appeal and do not mind not having a DVD player, however, the fit should be clean without any panel gaps.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!
Old 20th October 2011, 16:24   #3278
BHPian

Quote:
I remember having read that as well.But i guess it was on some one's thread who had upgraded to a different HU. Me , got tired of hunting around for Cd,s as well in the car and just went ahead and upgraded Hu and speakers.Though i didnt go in for any high end unit, but the VFM Witson and a good set of speakers and amps.
@ventolute: Could you add some pics of the HU in the car?. Also is could you provide the details of speaker including the cost of total package?
Old 20th October 2011, 17:14   #3279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technocratroy View Post
1) As you might already be aware, the Trendline does not have ABS or Alloys and comes with puny 14 inchers. What are my options to upgrade to better quality rubber (read: Yoko/Michelin) on the stock steel rims? Will it support 15 inch tyres without me having to upgrade to alloys? My priorities are better gripping and braking without too much compromise on ride quality. Total budget is less than 15k.

2) There is a Breeze Edition currently on offer on the Trendline with which I get a touchscreen HU with BT, GPS, video player and a few more bells and whistles that fits perfectly on the console. The sound quality on the stock speakers was above average and will mostly likely need a speaker upgrade to sound better.
Welcome aboard.

First thing I would advice you to go for High Line model if you can stretch your budget a little bit. It is worth every penny you pay and you need not worry sprucing it up as it comes with all the safety features & other Gizmos. Anyway, its your call.

Leaving aside all these, yes, you can upgrade to a better 15" tires on the same rims without any problem, however, that is no match in having ABS. You can go for Yoko's C-drive which are VFM and Michelin will set you back on a higher side.

As far as Insurance is concerned, try getting insurance from out side than in showroom as the price they are quoting is very steep.
I did the same and there was difference of 9K. If they are going to waiver the insurance, that is a different story again.

HU on the Breeze is good. You can get a Double-din touch screen with BT, GPS etc HU out side for 25K from JVC & Pioneer with good SQ. For a better fit & finish, there are couple of guys in B'lore who does it.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 20th October 2011 at 17:26.
Old 20th October 2011, 17:51   #3280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
@ventolute: Could you add some pics of the HU in the car?. Also is could you provide the details of speaker including the cost of total package?
Yup topspeeder, its been done quite some time ago. Its up on noopsters ICE for my vento thread
here is the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...w-vento-4.html
Old 20th October 2011, 18:09   #3281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Welcome aboard.

First thing I would advice you to go for High Line model if you can stretch your budget a little bit. It is worth every penny you pay and you need not worry sprucing it up as it comes with all the safety features & other Gizmos. Anyway, its your call.

Leaving aside all these, yes, you can upgrade to a better 15" tires on the same rims without any problem, however, that is no match in having ABS. You can go for Yoko's C-drive which are VFM and Michelin will set you back on a higher side.

As far as Insurance is concerned, try getting insurance from out side than in showroom as the price they are quoting is very steep.
I did the same and there was difference of 9K. If they are going to waiver the insurance, that is a different story again.

HU on the Breeze is good. You can get a Double-din touch screen with BT, GPS etc HU out side for 25K from JVC & Pioneer with good SQ. For a better fit & finish, there are couple of guys in B'lore who does it.
@Ramsagar Thanks for the suggestions. Appreciate it. Unfortunately, I would not be able to stretch my budget any further. I had booked the Swift ZDI and due to the unexpected delay ( I was expecting to get my car before a month. Still no signs of it even getting produced ) I looked for options from a segment higher and fell in love with the Vento TDI and got bitten by the torque bug! So my current choice itself is a 2lac stretch from what I had planned.

I was concerned that the Yoko 15 inchers may not fit on the steel rims. I am much relieved now! I was also planning on the Yoko C drive which seems to fit my requirements more than the other Yokos. Your suggestion is very reassuring. Any inputs on the size you think would be perfect and approx cost after ex-changing the stock would be great! All said and done, I second your opinion on the ABS. Upgrading to better rubber is no match for ABS and that is a huge compromise that I am making . Feel VW should have had ABS optional at least.

As far as the insurance is concerned, I get a full waiver on the Insurance (dealer quotes 32k for it) or I get the Breeze kit which comes with the HU and Kenwood speakers (incorrectly mentioned by me as Pioneer above). I spoke to the dealer today and mentioned that I would get the insurance waived off instead of the Breeze Kit. I believe it is a better decision to take since you indicate there are better after market options that provide good/better sound quality. Besides I will have some extra cash to go with components at the front and co-axials at the rear even after spending on the HU. A 4 channel amp and sub are later ad-ons once I get some spare cash Also, could you please PM me the installer's number if you have it handy? Thanks again!
Old 20th October 2011, 18:50   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Upgrade to better quality rubber on stock 14 inch steel rims. What's the stock size on 14 inchers? Is it 175/70/R14? You can go through the following link which will give you all the information you will require.

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 4 of 4

You can upgrade within the same rim dia to either 185/195 section tyres within the allowable tolerance level to improve both grip as well as braking.

Quote:

If SQ is the priority, go for aftermarket units like pioneer, JVC, Kenwood etc. You can go for a standard 2 DIN size and install it with a facia adapter without any visible panel gaps. 35k is good enough budget to go for a more than decent set-up. Do browse around the ICE section of this forum and you will see lots of recommendations.

All the best to you.

Quote:
If I do not opt for the Breeze edition, I get an Insurance fee waiver that would have costed me approx. 32K. Will I be able to get a much better ICE done for under 35k or should I just opt for the stock HU with Pioneer speakers? I am very keen on sound quality more than aesthetic appeal and do not mind not having a DVD player, however, the fit should be clean without any panel gaps.

One small correction. Stock rim size for trendline is 14 inchers and not 15.

Quote:
Leaving aside all these, yes, you can upgrade to a better 15" tires on the same rims without any problem,

Last edited by bala80 : 20th October 2011 at 18:52.
Old 21st October 2011, 06:57   #3283
BHPian

Quote:
Yup topspeeder, its been done quite some time ago. Its up on noopsters ICE for my vento thread
here is the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...w-vento-4.html
Thanks for the link, Did you see any issues so far?. Did you tried fitting different reverse camera?
Old 21st October 2011, 11:05   #3284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

This is my first post on T-BHP, although I had been a silent reader and benefited from all of you quite a lot. I would be getting a Vento Trendline TDI in a week from now and had some questions on the upgrades I am planning to do:

If I do not opt for the Breeze edition, I get an Insurance fee waiver that would have costed me approx. 32K. Will I be able to get a much better ICE done for under 35k or should I just opt for the stock HU with Pioneer speakers? I

Welcome to TeamBHP!

First of all, congrats! That was a wise decision. I agree that TL variants has few important features missing, but IMO the TDI engine on the Vento is simply outstanding and the best in the segment. So the heart is very strong already. Plus the build quality is also top-notch. Do you drive more on highways? Do you love to drive at high speeds(100+)? If yes, then you better buy a car with ABS. If you are going to use this car in the city 70-80% of the times, then its OK not to have ABS on your car. I have been driving a car without ABS for last 22,000 KMs and since I am a sedate driver, never really felt the absence of ABS. IMHO, ABS is a great to have safety feature. Since, you can't stretch your budget at all, you can go ahead with TL variant.

Re ICE, in 35k you can get a very good setup from outside. There is a member called mikon, who bought a TL variant and modded it as per his likings, alloys, ICE and everything. Talk to him and find out more details. This is his thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ce-report.html .

All the best!

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 21st October 2011 at 11:06.
Old 21st October 2011, 11:40   #3285
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

Leaving aside all these, yes, you can upgrade to a better 15" tires on the same rims without any problem, however, that is no match in having ABS.
Ramsagar, Are you sure you can do it? 15" on 14" rims?

@technocratroy, No you wont be able to "physically" fit a 15" on a 14" rims. You would have to upgrade that too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks