Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 16:40   #4021
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

You know what, I had a broken alloy just a couple of months back. Have even posted the pictures in my ownership thread!

Remember what the tyre shop was telling me, VW OE alloys are in much demand in the market, may be because quite a lot are ending up with damages? He was ready to take my other normal alloys for 6k per piece immediately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The reason for exorbitant cost of WV alloys, may be the reason they bend and not crack out right. The alloys may be made of soft malleable compound, which has a slight "give" similar to steel wheels. Most other alloys would crack under excessive impact but remain intact on medium impacts.

O.T - @m-upreti - I own a scorp in my family too, I can tell you the alloys there are almost indestructible. Even in the 2.6 CRDE that we had earlier, its only the alloy center hub cap (protruding type) that gets damaged, but never the alloys themselves. They are made by local service providers (Hindalco???)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I am not an expert, but my Scorpio alloys do under go a lot of stress when I take the vehicle off the tarmac , that includes rocks and dividers, couldnt find any impact till date.
@F458 - Never ever trust the workshop guys to do car detailing right. Please check for a professional detailing center in your region and they can take care of all the complaints that you had mentioned, for half the price. The rates quoted here are on the higher side in VW.

Other charges look fairly reasonable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F458 View Post

Any suggestion are welcome.

Cheers !!!
Old 10th February 2012, 22:04   #4022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
You know what, I had a broken alloy just a couple of months back. Have even posted the pictures in my ownership thread!

Remember what the tyre shop was telling me, VW OE alloys are in much demand in the market, may be because quite a lot are ending up with damages? He was ready to take my other normal alloys for 6k per piece immediately!
I think this is a problem with the Jetta as well. A friend of mine has had 2 bent alloys in his 1.5 years of ownership of his Jetta and they cost him 28k each! .:O
Old 11th February 2012, 11:27   #4023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post

O.T - @m-upreti - I own a scorp in my family too, I can tell you the alloys there are almost indestructible. Even in the 2.6 CRDE that we had earlier, its only the alloy center hub cap (protruding type) that gets damaged, but never the alloys themselves. They are made by local service providers (Hindalco???).
Ypu are abosolutely right, I once managed to blow a tyre big time over a divider trying a foolish overtaking menovure and had to drive some way before I could actually come to the right and stop, not a scratch on the alloy
Old 11th February 2012, 13:02   #4024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F458 View Post
On a second note, my blinker problem is sorted, apparently if one of the signal lights is not working, the particular side starts blinking rapidly when used.
That is a common feature in all cars. If one of the three (or two) turn indicators do not work, the frequency of the flashing light (alongwith the "Tic-tic" sound) increases. That's a sure-shot way of knowing you have fused a bulb.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 13:28   #4025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
That is a common feature in all cars. If one of the three (or two) turn indicators do not work, the frequency of the flashing light (alongwith the "Tic-tic" sound) increases. That's a sure-shot way of knowing you have fused a bulb.
Infact I remember this in even the most basic cars which we used to own years ago, like the M800 and the 118NE. So nothing new about it
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 17:00   #4026
BHPian

Thanks, Ninja. Talked with SA. Will be taking the delivery tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Not the exact reason, but I was given a similar story when I asked for a PDI during my car delivery. However they did allow me to have a complete PDI at the workshop (the car was undergoing the cleaning & VAS setups); this was before the registration. I had made it quite clear to them that any major issues if found in the car, could lead to a change request or similar demands. They had agreed to the same (verbally).

Suggest you could work-out something similar at your end.
Old 11th February 2012, 17:37   #4027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Infact I remember this in even the most basic cars which we used to own years ago, like the M800 and the 118NE. So nothing new about it
Agree ! A bit OT but it was a learning for me . One of my colleagues used a cheap duplicate indicator bulb to replace the original bulb in his Accent and because of that the indicator blinking became noticeably quicker .
I was surprised that this happened even when there was no fused bulb.

I am curious to understand from Vento owners - how long do you think the brake pads would last ? The loads of brake dust on the alloys that gets deposited just makes me wonder
Old 11th February 2012, 17:48   #4028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I am curious to understand from Vento owners - how long do you think the brake pads would last ? The loads of brake dust on the alloys that gets deposited just makes me wonder
I guess if @mikon & @evilshantanu haven't faced any problems even after 25k+ kms, I guess it should hold good similar to other car brake pads. Even on the Polo thread, I haven't seen anyone raising any flags on this matter.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 17:49   #4029
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think its just Euro cars which tend to give off more brake dust, since the pads are a slight bit more performance oriented than the Jap ones which are just made to last long. Don't worry about it.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 18:55   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
Cleaning the brake dust becomes challenging, since this in black and won't go easily. This mainly happens in front wheels.

Now I use Mothers Wheel & Tire Cleaner, Life is easy with it .
Old 12th February 2012, 09:25   #4031
BHPian

I spoke to the SA about the brake pads. and he informed me that certain cars which have come in for the second service have usually got the brake pads replaced. I guess it all depends on the style of driving. i was informed that usually by about 35000 kms the pads are ready for replacement.
Another aspect to keep in mind is because of the long service interval compared to other cars you always tend to be over cautious. You would not want to replace the pads only when u hear the metal scrapping sound.

We can't forget the fact that most of these Service centres are in a race to increase your bills to the hilt.

Funny thing is sourav this is the first time after owning cars that a signal bulb has fused out!. Actually i am quite miffed at the fact that the bulb went out so early. The bulb is a dark yellow, and an import.

Cheers
F458 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 19:23   #4032
BHPian

Team,
Need some help here.

My brother had booked a Vento TDI Highline after confirming with the dealer that the 2012 models will be coming with leatherette upholstery. Today the vehicle has reached the dealership, but found that the upholstery is normal fabric only. As per the dealer, cars with leatherette upholstery will be released by March only. Is this true?

The only change added to 2012 model was leatherette upholstery, and 2011 model was given close to 40 K offer. For 2012 model the price is in fact increased by approx 25 K. Now missing that feature and paying close to 25K more sounds really absurd.

Thanks
HCP
Old 13th February 2012, 19:48   #4033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Team,
Need some help here.

My brother had booked a Vento TDI Highline after confirming with the dealer that the 2012 models will be coming with leatherette upholstery. Today the vehicle has reached the dealership, but found that the upholstery is normal fabric only. As per the dealer, cars with leatherette upholstery will be released by March only. Is this true?

The only change added to 2012 model was leatherette upholstery, and 2011 model was given close to 40 K offer. For 2012 model the price is in fact increased by approx 25 K. Now missing that feature and paying close to 25K more sounds really absurd.

Thanks
HCP
When i asked the Volkswagen sales guys 3 days ago they said that they have no info on the newer 2012 models with leatherette upholstery.I dont know if they have increased the ex-showroom price after Jan 2012 or not but the current OTR of the highline TDI (2012 models) in Goa is 10.9 lakhs,ex-showroom is 9.77 lakhs.

How much is the ex-showroom price currently??
Old 13th February 2012, 20:05   #4034
BHPian

Quote:
Team,
Need some help here.

Thanks
HCP

I saw an Ad of Polo and Vento in Times of India a couple of days back. It was mentioned High Quality Fabric upholstery in the ad. No Mention of Leatherette Upholstery. Well I agree one should not go with VW adds as I guess this is the first ad in which I noticed them mentioning about Steering Mounted Controls and Rear Parking sensors which were added like 3 months ago.

I am not sure why such a big Brand like VW can goof up so so much with their advertising with their bread and butter cars.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 22:54   #4035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you to ask the dealership if they could give you a 2011 model or Rs. 40000 off. You could later get leatherette seat covers from VW installed which would cost less than Rs. 10000. So in the end you save Rs. 40000 + additional 15000 by going with a 2011 model.
Paying Rs. 25000 just for the leatherette seats doesn't sound good, you could get Stanley pure leather seats done for Rs. 40000+ where the feel would be even better.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks