Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 15:07   #3991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Thats what I thought though this is completely but whats the use then of this supposedly "Higher Grade" diesel the OMCs sell at a higher price if they are not actually low sulphur. I was browsing through the Audi India site and was looking at the A6 specs and they recommend using low sulphur diesel. I wonder how the A6 manages. On a different note if the Vento thrills with that 250 Nm @ 1500 RPM, man I wonder how that 3L TDI on the A6 with 500 Nm @ 1400 RPM would feel like.
Even though the A6 recommends low sulphur diesel , it can run on normal diesel - in India euro specs low sulphur diesel is not available. The 3 ltr TDi heart is a different cup of tea altogether . Once I tried to match up a 3 ltr Q5 on a nice highway ( Nashik - Mumbai) , the diff showed with A6 it would show up even more !
You should read up the thread on Polo cup on TBHP where they have modded a 1.6 ltr Polo to race specs and it has 250 Nm on tap from 0 rpm
Old 5th February 2012, 15:12   #3992
Senior - BHPian

Steer clear that SA hereafter

I haven't come across any manufacturer recommending hi speed diesel for CRDI engines and VW isnt any different. Its another story that the hi-speed diesel sold in our country doesnt have any difference of sulphur content, but just the normal diesel with some additivies. God only knows what those additives are though!

Quote:
Question to all Ventophiles owning the TDIs.

During my last visit to the service center the SA advised me to use the higher grade diesel and not the regular diesel. This is contrary to what was told to me by the guys at the dealer during delivery. AFAIK in this thread, owners have mentioned using the normal diesel and not the higher grade one, please correct me if I am wrong. What do you guys use? Should I be switching to the higher grade? Pointers would be very helpful.
Old 5th February 2012, 22:22   #3993
BHPian

Mine is three weeks old - vento TDI.
I already have below issues :
1) I hear door noise - both doors on the left. I think its the plastic noise.
2) Whenever i engage reverse & change back to neutral, i hear some "click" sound from the clutch.
3) I notice that ACC just alters the fan speed, but not the temperature. Not sure why..
4) Once in a while i hear some suspension noise from the front left wheel - 'hush' noise. It continues even on normal rounds. I believe the movement of wheels create the noise. After sometime its not there. I also noticed a yellow fluid that got leaked from the bonnet through some hole ( running close to the suspension set). I checked with the VW service guy who said its the grease. Not sure on whether its true.
5) the pinch protection is not working - Is there a better way to check it.
6) After i switch of the engine, i hear some click click noise for 2-3 seconds.. I heard similar sounds in my previous petrol cars, but not sure on why they come up.

Need to go to the service center again to fix these problems, but just to take the experts advise since I'm worried if these are something serious.
Old 5th February 2012, 23:18   #3994
Senior - BHPian

Nothing serious at all, from your description your car its perfectly normal, may be you are just being a little paranoid.

For checking pinch protection, check if one touch up/down is working. If so keep some obstacle when the window is rolling up, it will hit the frame with a thud and then roll down. If your one touch up/down isn't working, check your owner manual on how to activate it.

ACC is supposed to alter only the fan speed to get to the desired temperature. Why should it alter anything else?

Everything else you have mentioned is perfectly normal. No problem with your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm
Mine is three weeks old - vento TDI.
I already have below issues :
1) I hear door noise - both doors on the left. I think its the plastic noise.
2) Whenever i engage reverse & change back to neutral, i hear some "click" sound from the clutch.
3) I notice that ACC just alters the fan speed, but not the temperature. Not sure why..
4) Once in a while i hear some suspension noise from the front left wheel - 'hush' noise. It continues even on normal rounds. I believe the movement of wheels create the noise. After sometime its not there. I also noticed a yellow fluid that got leaked from the bonnet through some hole ( running close to the suspension set). I checked with the VW service guy who said its the grease. Not sure on whether its true.
5) the pinch protection is not working - Is there a better way to check it.
6) After i switch of the engine, i hear some click click noise for 2-3 seconds.. I heard similar sounds in my previous petrol cars, but not sure on why they come up.
Old 6th February 2012, 10:51   #3995
BHPian

Guys can somebody tell me what are the new additions to the 2012 Vento??I heard the price increase is by a lakh and leatherette seats and reverse camera are additions??Can somebody clarify please
Old 6th February 2012, 15:42   #3996
BHPian

Friends!

Need some advice. My car insurance (Bajaj Allianz) is due for renewal in a month's time (yeah!! Shadowfax is turning one!), initially I did not buy a "drive assure" policy from Bajaj Allianz. Does it make sense to buy it in the second year ? there would be an additional premium amount of 7K.

Noopster, did you go for it in the policy renewal ?
Old 6th February 2012, 16:36   #3997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Friends!

Need some advice. My car insurance (Bajaj Allianz) is due for renewal in a month's time (yeah!! Shadowfax is turning one!), initially I did not buy a "drive assure" policy from Bajaj Allianz. Does it make sense to buy it in the second year ? there would be an additional premium amount of 7K.

Without any doubt yes.

Having said that, 7k is too high for the Zero dep part. Mine was close to 6k odd, that too for the figure of 9lakhs (95% of exshowroom price). Zero Dep part for 1 year old car should be atmost 5k odd, if not lesser (assuming you are getting NCB too). What quote are you getting from Tata AIG?

Answering on Noop's behalf - I believe he went for it.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 6th February 2012 at 16:43.
Old 6th February 2012, 16:58   #3998
Senior - BHPian

Only leatherette seats as per one of the posts in this thread earlier.

Yes, the OTR price increase in chennai will be close to a lakh, due to 15% road tax for vehicles costing over 10 lakhs and proportionate increase in your insurance premium.

Someone posted the ex-showroom price list in (delhi?) couple of pages earlier, please do check. TDI HL was quoted at around 10.24 ex-showroom delhi if I could remember it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Guys can somebody tell me what are the new additions to the 2012 Vento??I heard the price increase is by a lakh and leatherette seats and reverse camera are additions??Can somebody clarify please
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 19:24   #3999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Only leatherette seats as per one of the posts in this thread earlier.

Someone posted the ex-showroom price list in (delhi?) couple of pages earlier, please do check. TDI HL was quoted at around 10.24 ex-showroom delhi if I could remember it right.
The Ex-Showroom price for Delhi is - 10,02,500.00
RTO - 92,383.00
Miscl ~ 6,000.00 (number plate, polish etc)

The Insurance calculation
95% of ex-showroom
1200(or 1500 not sure) for third party
Rate -
1600cc - 3.44% Zero Dep
1600cc - 2.7% normal

My agent gives 20% discount on premium, so the calculation is

EXSHOWROOM x 0.95 x RATE x 0.80 approx 27K for High Line

for renewal you get
10% NCB
10-20% drop in value per year
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 02:23   #4000
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply, have been preoccupied with other work. First thing I have done is bought a foam based fire extinguisher, hammer and now will buy a knife too. I have started facing another issue now. The seatbelt pretensioners seem to randomly activate and not deactivate when stationary. There's a possibility that they got activated because of considerably fast but not sudden deceleration due to braking but shouldn't they deactivate when the car is stationary? Just today I had stopped at a redlight and saw the fire extinguishers roll out from below the passenger seat, I tried to lean down to pick it up and put it in the dash but found myself unable to move even one inch due to the pretensioners. It took some struggle for 5-10 seconds to loosen the belt. Next time it happens I'll be sure to try unlocking the belt to see if it gets completely stuck when pretensioners are on. Incidents like these happening right after the pune incidents are really starting to freak me out. If someone from VW is reading this post (which I'm sure they are) I'd like them to contact me at abhinav.daos(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote:
Sounds way more than serious. Sorry to hear about your unhappy experience. In my opinion your car does look like it has some inherent issues which need to be fixed end to end before they manifest in some bigger way. You probably got a lucky escape this time around. I guess its very unsafe to carry on driving the car specially when it starts misbehaving like this on little anomalies. The AC could be running for 30 minutes or more when the car is at a standstill. That should not cause such serious issues. Please do get in touch with VW immediately instead of waiting for any other mishap to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Looks like the entire electrical system needs to be checked here. Do you have any after market components installed?

Also, I have read earlier spraying water on the radiator to cool down an overheated engine is not recommended, I'm unable to find it now, but doesnt sound like a good idea to me.
I don't have any aftermarket electricals installed, except parking sensors from VW (which hardly ever work). I have no idea if spraying water on the radiator is bad for the car but the mechanic reccomended it and it worked instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingolphie View Post
The temp gauge is sorely missed. Its usually one of the first things I check for knowing how my engine is doing during long drives and I miss it in the Vento.

Very sorry to hear of your bad experience. Do let us know how you get on and what is wrong?
A couple of weeks before the incident I had a problem with the car not starting, I had called the all india assistance, though the car started 5 minutes before he arrived. When he came he switched the fuses in the battery and I am guessing he put the faulty fuse in the cooling system slot which finally failed under pressure. Tomorrow I am going to check all fuses myself and match the wattage, does anyone know if information regarding that is in the manual?

I asked the workshop to check all the electricals, ecu and fuses and they claimed to do that, though I am not satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quite serious indeed! I will suggest you to get a satisfactory fix on this issue and then take the car out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F458 View Post
Hi abhinav

What has happened to you is quite scary, i think you have to take this problem up rather seriously, as you could have damaged the head, with the overheating of the car.

On a second note, if the radiator fan had stopped functioning, why did it not show up as a warning light, i believe the vento has 2 warning systems for various functions.

Please do a detailed study, and let us know the outcome of the research

Cheers and happy driving
Vento flashes a warning when it detects a fault in the cooling system, I don't know if it's when it detects a break in the circuit/malfunctioning or when the engine simply overheats. In my case I think it was the second case as the fuse would have blown way before the coolant started boiling, overflowing and smoking up. The manual recommends to stop immediately if the warning flashes or you risk serious damage and possibly a fire. So I'd recommend everyone stops within 10 seconds of the warning (there's an audible beep too, can't hear with music system on)

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
To turn the screws on VW , I think for starters a FIR should be lodged with the local police . Its mentioned that the car is in the possession of VW , is it correct? Ideally it should be the police who should impound the car pending further investigation - given the most unfortunate demise, police should have got involved and any investigation by the company should have been under the police's supervision to prevent any hush up !
I don't understand how VW could take the possession of the vehicle when they very well might be at fault. Its like asking the suspect to investigate the robbery!

Anyways my petrol vento servicing bill came to 7700 out of which 2200 was for 3M lubrication, shampooing and UV treatment. I had asked them to reomve some minor scratches by rubbing and they did all that and charged me.

Engine oil was billed at 3000 for 1 liter and paid service labor was 1400 only. Are these rates fine?
Abhinav.Daos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 06:29   #4001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
I tried to lean down to pick it up and put it in the dash but found myself unable to move even one inch due to the pretensioners. It took some struggle for 5-10 seconds to loosen the belt.
From my experience trying to move suddenly in jerks cause the pretensioners to activate and prevent such movement. Did you try leaning down in a quick motion or was it gradual? Though extreme body movements with the seat belts on is not a good idea always. Pretensioners is a safety feature going further to minimize any risk to bodily injury in the event of a frontal collision.

Quote:
I don't have any aftermarket electricals installed, except parking sensors from VW (which hardly ever work).
Thats strange. This is the first time I have ever heard about this issue. In fact some folks in the Verna forum made a complaint like this but never a Vento owner here. I hope your dealer didnt peddle you a lemon knowingly without VW having much of an idea. Its good if you can take up a separate discussion with VW directly to discuss the condition of your car and its multiple issues.

Quote:
Engine oil was billed at 3000 for 1 liter and paid service labor was 1400 only. Are these rates fine?
1 liter at Rs 3000 . Thats utter nonsense. All workshops reported here on TBHP sell it for Rs 985 with is above Rs 200 about its MRP. Which brand did they use? You seriously should start challenging your dealer/workshop. They are fleecing you.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 7th February 2012 at 06:31.
Old 7th February 2012, 10:04   #4002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Of course it can, the pre tensioners can pull really hard on the person and get stuck in that position if some electronics are affected.
The problem in this case was just a faulty sensor.
Pre tensioners are sensor driven meant to act before a person is hurled forward thus any problem in any of the sensors would prompt it to tighten erroneously BUT a sensor problem or problem with the pretensioner would not prevent someone from unbuckling the seat belt since the point of fixing the 3 point seat belt is spring loaded mechanical lock .

Quote:
Anyways my petrol vento servicing bill came to 7700 out of which 2200 was for 3M lubrication, shampooing and UV treatment. I had asked them to reomve some minor scratches by rubbing and they did all that and charged me.

While your service bill is in the range ( I think Noops who owns an automatic had similar bill amount) , as pointed out by Samarjit the Rs 3000 a litre for engine oil is a rip off ! Can you scan your bill please ? In fact 7700 including 2200 for the royal treatment and 3000 for oil actually seems quite less since your servicing actually cost you 2500 when both these are removed
BTW whats UV treatment ?
Old 8th February 2012, 10:29   #4003
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

All posts on the Vento Fire incident have been moved to a new independent thread. Yes, we do have a common thread on "vehicles catching fire in India", but here, the owner has unfortunately passed away. God bless his soul and give his family the strength to see through these trying times.

I strongly recommend that the Police conduct an independent inquiry in this case using the help of forensic experts. The fault needs to be brought to the public's notice, whether its of VW, the car or an after-market accessory.

The discussion may continue on the dedicated thread on this incident
Old 8th February 2012, 10:39   #4004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
initially I did not buy a "drive assure" policy from Bajaj Allianz. Does it make sense to buy it in the second year ? there would be an additional premium amount of 7K.

Yup, did it couple of weeks ago when Fraulein turned one. I have no idea what "drive assure" is but I opted for a zero depreciation cover and the premium was 5000 more than the comprehensive I had opted for last year.

Funnily enough my base premium (like to like) was actually the same as last year, despite the no claims bonus. The agent (whom I trust) informed me that Vento premiums have gone up, so the discount I got on base premium last year was not passed on this year. In the end, I am in the piquant situation of paying MORE premium in the second year than the first (25K including 5K zero-dep versus 19.8K last year). Consoling myself with the thought that I saved 16K last year by opting out of the dealer's insurance package, which was a ripoff!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 18:22   #4005
BHPian

Quote:
Friends!

Take my advise go for the drive assure. I just got a call from the service center that my car is ready. Final bill came to around 85 (pretty expensive considering that there was no major repairs and it was just body panels + radiator) and it seems I have to shell out 25 from my pocket. Since am traveling I wont be picking up my car until Friday. Had it been drive assure i wouldn't have had to spend a penny.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks