Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 22:53   #3961
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Last Saturday my car almost caught fire too, I had waited in the car with the Ac turned on for 30 minutes, after driving for a kilometer after that a thermometer sign lights up. I was in stop and go traffic on a narrow road so I stop at a petrol pump within 2 minutes. When I popped open the bonnet I saw a LOT of smoke coming out of it. After waiting a few minutes I opened the bonnet and the coolant was boiling and leaking from the airtight plastic container. Apparently a fuse in the battery had blown which caused the fan to stop working. Hence the coolant wasn't getting cooled in the radiator and returning to the container boiling hot..
The temp gauge is sorely missed. Its usually one of the first things I check for knowing how my engine is doing during long drives and I miss it in the Vento.

Very sorry to hear of your bad experience. Do let us know how you get on and what is wrong?
Old 1st February 2012, 23:18   #3962
BHPian

Quote:
This is a serious matter.
Sounds way more than serious. Sorry to hear about your unhappy experience. In my opinion your car does look like it has some inherent issues which need to be fixed end to end before they manifest in some bigger way. You probably got a lucky escape this time around. I guess its very unsafe to carry on driving the car specially when it starts misbehaving like this on little anomalies. The AC could be running for 30 minutes or more when the car is at a standstill. That should not cause such serious issues. Please do get in touch with VW immediately instead of waiting for any other mishap to happen.
Old 2nd February 2012, 07:52   #3963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Last Saturday my car almost caught fire too…
… Right now the car is fine but If it happens again I am contacting VW directly. This is a serious matter.
Quite serious indeed! I will suggest you to get a satisfactory fix on this issue and then take the car out.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:51   #3964
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the entire electrical system needs to be checked here. Do you have any after market components installed?

Also, I have read earlier spraying water on the radiator to cool down an overheated engine is not recommended, I'm unable to find it now, but doesnt sound like a good idea to me.

Quote:
As mentioned in my previous posts I have had continuous problems with my car battery with the car not starting sometime, fuses going off, power windows not working et al. Right now the car is fine but If it happens again I am contacting VW directly. This is a serious matter.
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:31   #3965
Senior - BHPian

One of the long standing clarifications I was looking for is whether the turbo charger in the vento is a fixed or a variable vane type. I couldnt find this information in any of the owner/maintanence manuals and thanks to our fellow member kryptonite for digging this document from the internet. Good thing is - all the technical self study docs for VW are available for download from the internet, you just need to know the right document name. Very useful when you are looking for that quick clarification.

The vento sports a VGT turbo which is the reason behind the torque which starts as early as 1500 RPM, resulting in the awesome acceleration which is probably the USP of the 1.6 TDI engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post

The docs refer to the turbo in the 1.6 TDI as an ‘adjustable turbocharger’.

Once of the docs reference this:
Useful information about individual assembly groups can also be found in previous self-study programmes:
no. 447 "The Polo 2011", no. 190 "Adjustable turbocharger", no. 237 "Manual gearbox 02T", no. 238 "Data
exchange on the CAN bus I", no. 260 "The 1.2 ltr. 3-cylinder engines", no. 269 "Data exchange on the CAN
databus II", no. 296 "The 1.4 ltr. and 1.6 ltr. FSI engine with timing chain", no. 309 "6-speed automatic gearbox
09G/09K/09M" and no. 442 "The 1.6 ltr. TDI engine with common rail injection system".

So, I googled no. 190 Adjustable turbocharger, and hit these documents on the web:
http://pierro777.free.fr/DOCVAG/ssp1...rbocharger.pdf
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/VW/Misc...rboCharger.pdf

-which does explain that the adjustable turbocharger means adjustable vanes. I think this means it’s a VGT, right?

@mustang.101 - Vento has only ABS and no EBD. Can you please explain why you think ABS without EBD is useless. My experience with the scorpio (3 channel ABS without EBD) makes me feel otherwise.

I however dont deny the fact that EBD would have made the system all the more effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Vento only has ABS and no EBD?

As far as my experience goes, ABS without EBD is pretty much useless.

I think the vento would have EBD along with ABS. Are you sure about this?
P.S - Unable to edit my old post now - hence creating new post, Please excuse for back to back posts.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:41   #3966
BHPian

Hi,

I am getting my Candy White Vento HL TDi tomorrow and I am bit worried about lack of temperature gauge in the car.

Would the car alert the driver in case temperature exceeds certain preset limit and does anyone know what is the threshold ? In case that threshold is set too high then every time there is a malfunctioning in car's cooling system then one would have to deal with such overflow of coolant from the storage tank which doesn't sound too good to me for a premium sedan like Vento.

I just hope this is not exactly true , can someone please throw some light here ???

I am taking the car with just VW essential kit and VW door steps. Any suggestions for 3M sun film would help too ? I am based in B'lore around HSR layout.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:58   #3967
BHPian

Quote:
Last Saturday my car almost caught fire too, I had waited in the car with the Ac turned on for 30 minutes, after driving for a kilometer after that a thermometer sign lights up. I was in stop and go traffic on a narrow road so I stop at a petrol pump within 2 minutes. When I popped open the bonnet I saw a LOT of smoke coming out of it. After waiting a few minutes I opened the bonnet and the coolant was boiling and leaking from the airtight plastic container. Apparently a fuse in the battery had blown which caused the fan to stop working. Hence the coolant wasn't getting cooled in the radiator and returning to the container boiling hot. I had a feeling it would have caught fire if I had driven on for just a couple of more minutes. I got the fuse changed at the petrol pump and they cooled down the engine by spraying pressurized water on the radiator....and the fuse went of again. They changed it again, topped up the coolant with almost 5 liters of water. Drove the car straight to the service station to get it checked and serviced. The SA wasn't knowledgeable at all and gave me some crap about there being some error in the battery software which they deleted and re-installed which I don't believe at all. As mentioned in my previous posts I have had continuous problems with my car battery with the car not starting sometime, fuses going off, power windows not working et al. Right now the car is fine but If it happens again I am contacting VW directly. This is a serious matter.
Hi abhinav

What has happened to you is quite scary, i think you have to take this problem up rather seriously, as you could have damaged the head, with the overheating of the car.

On a second note, if the radiator fan had stopped functioning, why did it not show up as a warning light, i believe the vento has 2 warning systems for various functions.

Please do a detailed study, and let us know the outcome of the research

Cheers and happy driving
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:59   #3968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoolsam View Post
Hi,

I am getting my Candy White Vento HL TDi tomorrow and I am bit worried about lack of temperature gauge in the car.

Would the car alert the driver in case temperature exceeds certain preset limit and does anyone know what is the threshold ? In case that threshold is set too high then every time there is a malfunctioning in car's cooling system then one would have to deal with such overflow of coolant from the storage tank which doesn't sound too good to me for a premium sedan like Vento.

I just hope this is not exactly true , can someone please throw some light here ???
@icecoolsam - this has been so far seen only in Abhinav's case, and not anybody else, so I would suggest you to take it easy and go ahead with your purchase without tension. There are people with close to 30k on the odometer, and they haven't face such a problem yet.

However if you still feel uneasy, get in touch with the workshop engineers at the VW dealer and put up this query to them. If they are knowledgeable (not necessarily you might get a proper answer), they should give the exact answer, in terms of the threshold values and other details.

Quote:
I am taking the car with just VW essential kit and VW door steps. Any suggestions for 3M sun film would help too ? I am based in B'lore around HSR layout.

Cheers,
Sameer
The most opted-for option is 3M RE50 on sides & back, and CR70 on the front. Even I have gone for the same and found it more than sufficient. However there is a cheaper CS series available with 3M, also Garware sun films are a bit cheaper (while VKool is costlier) than 3M series. There are several TBhpians using either of them, and find them good enough. Check up on the sunfilm thread for more detailed info.

All the best for tomorrow and I hope you have done a good PDI of your car in advance. Do put up a ownership thread once you get the delivery.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 3rd February 2012 at 00:03.
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:21   #3969
BHPian

Hi Everyone

i probably am one of the oldest owners of a vento, but unfortunately being a new member, i am not allowed to start a thread, but will do so when the admin permits.

A new problem has cropped up, where the left signal starts blinking really fast, just randomly. I took the car to volkswagen goa, and they informed me the entire switch stalk has to be replaced. I was just wondering once the warranty expires, what happens then? These parts are not cheap by any standards, as the stalk is fully imported.

I still remember the time something similar had happened on my M800 just a small part attached to the stalk was replaced costing 150 rs.

Anyway i will come to know on the 8th what is the bill is like.

Cheers
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:21   #3970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F458 View Post
Hi Everyone

i probably am one of the oldest owners of a vento, but unfortunately being a new member, i am not allowed to start a thread, but will do so when the admin permits.

A new problem has cropped up, where the left signal starts blinking really fast, just randomly. I took the car to volkswagen goa, and they informed me the entire switch stalk has to be replaced. I was just wondering once the warranty expires, what happens then? These parts are not cheap by any standards, as the stalk is fully imported.

I still remember the time something similar had happened on my M800 just a small part attached to the stalk was replaced costing 150 rs.

Anyway i will come to know on the 8th what is the bill is like.

Cheers
As far as my experience goes , the parts are not that expensive ( save the alloy wheels I suppose ) - only the labour is costly (billed in Euro I suppose !!) Your car's problem is a bit weird but I am not too sure that it needs a full replacement , IMO its a case of simple short circuit . Why don't you go to a local good non VW mechanic and ask him , not necessary to let him take anything down ? I would suggest that you try out a mechanic who does Skoda jobs . In case he says that replacement is not required , please confront the VW workshop guys .
There is often a tendency to get parts replaced for the obvious moolah
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:55   #3971
BHPian

Fortunately souravc, the car is under warranty, so the headache is theirs and not mine, as far as parts are concerned they are on the steeper side, in comparison with the asian rivals. For example the rear left panel was replaced after a minor accident, it was billed at 56000 rupees. Fortunately the insurance took care of it. Funny thing is VW sends a panel which includes the upper roof runner , so as to explain the cost. The VW guys then cut the rear pillar and attach the new part. Its sad that you have to buy the whole thing.

As far as my signal problem goes, it is definitely a weird problem, usually occurs in cheap blinkers. I did not expect it to occur in this car.

Cheers
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:00   #3972
Senior - BHPian

Making another post since the topic deserves separate undivided attention

Re - Recent News about Vento TDi catching fire in Pune

I am thinking aloud here - a few BHP-ians have mentioned that fuel filter was replaced under warranty due to leaking fuel ( I hope I am correct here ) Now the way the fire in Pune is described where the flames spread very fast , I am wondering if there was a case of a short + fuel leak !
Is it time to put together a pressure group to know the truth ( facebook / twitter ) ? Any idea whether an FIR has been lodged ? VW has packed up the car , hope they would present the truth too

The things that I do not believe from the report are :-
  • Seat belts jamming
  • Doors getting locked - we have debated, discussed and cribbed for N number of hours how the doors never lock from inside. Its hard to believe that due to a fire the doors get locked from inside too .
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:11   #3973
Senior - BHPian

I think everyone who is required to and eligible to get the fuel filter replaced should get it done early. VW would usually do it during the first service, but one will have to wait for that.
Its interesting why they would not recall to get it done. Is it not such a safety issue?
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:13   #3974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F458 View Post
F458, every registered member may certainly start a thread on Team-BHP: just that, as long as you are in "newbie" status, it will be subject to moderation.

Quote:
You are right- the Polo/Vento production is still not 100% localised. However this is the only instance I have come across on the forums so far of a faulty blinker on this car- perhaps it is just a statistical thing that it happened in your car and I don't think you need to worry overmuch about it recurring after warranty.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:17   #3975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Re - Recent News about Vento TDi catching fire in Pune

Is it time to put together a pressure group to know the truth ( facebook / twitter ) ? VW has packed up the car , hope they would present the truth too
I second the above.
Some of my open questions. (9yr Indica V2 owner - eyeing Vento as next car)
How does a Vento owner get to know that the engine is overheating ? Did the Pune driver overlook the warnings ? The complex German Electronics should have shut down the engine ?
Regards, D

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks