Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2012, 20:34   #3931
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Guys, any idea about the onroad price for Vento in Kochi? Is there a way to find the prices from volkswagen site??
Check this post below. This will give a bit of an idea.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2659315
Old 30th January 2012, 20:01   #3932
Senior - BHPian

Did a test drive of Vento High Line. Here are my impressions vis a vis SX4 ZDi

. Engine excellent, but SX4 does not lag much
. Ride a bit harsh
. Low end torque very good, SX4 is marginally less, but not easily noticeable.
. Second to Third gear shift a bit iffy every time, have to get used to it. SX4 much better
. Rear Leg room nearly same
. Both cars rev freely till 5000 RPM, and down shift smoothly

Where the Vento scores
. Better engine and more torque resulting in slightly better acceleration
. Sturdier build (reportedly higher grade steel used), but SX4 is not far behind
. Longer service Interval.
. Better warranty - 4 years unlimited milage with extended warranty
. Reported better high speed drivability, but I could not test it beyond 100.

Where the SX4 scores
. 5 Alloys with full sized tyres, not a skimpy 14" steel spare (and there is no space to store the 15: Alloy! This means that the spare will be used only in case of puncture and replaced ASAP.
. Softer ride, resulting better ride over broken ground
. More ground clearance, which coupled with shorter wheel base will ease driving on bad roads.
. Lower maintenance costs
. EBD with ABS, Vento has only ABS. Useful feature if you are skidding
. Realistic Insurance. Considering that both cars are priced similarly, a markup of 80% in Vento is not warranted. Any way I get my own insurance, but others beware.

Of course people used to Japanese/Korean cars, the Light/Wiper stalks are inter changed, gets some to to get used to. I invariably got the wiper working instead of the turn indicator!

On the whole, both the cars are similar with a few distinctive pluses on either side. So it you want more power and (hopefully) sturdy long lasting machine go for Vento. In case you want more GC, better bad road performance and lower maintenance costs go for SX4.
Old 30th January 2012, 20:33   #3933
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy
. EBD with ABS, Vento has only ABS. Useful feature if you are skidding
Vento only has ABS and no EBD?

As far as my experience goes, ABS without EBD is pretty much useless.

I think the vento would have EBD along with ABS. Are you sure about this?
Old 30th January 2012, 20:46   #3934
Distinguished - BHPian

Err. I didn't find the reasoning behind this post. Or was it just you got your hands on a Vento and came up with the comparison?

Btw one aspect where you missed out the biggest difference between both the cars -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I could not test it beyond 100.
I could do that on both the cars when I was planning my purchase. And after those TDs I did a complete u-turn on my decision, which was almost fixed on SX4, right towards the Vento.

IMHO, i feel a lot of your opinions might be a bit flawed, maybe because it was a TD car. But then that's the reason they are called opinions, right. IMO, the Swift is a far better option than the SX4.

Edit : Re-reading my post, seems to be a bit rude. Apologies if it seems so.

@Mustang.101, as per the manual, the Vento only has ABS, no EBD.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 30th January 2012 at 21:01.
Old 30th January 2012, 21:18   #3935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Err. I didn't find the reasoning behind this post. Or was it just you got your hands on a Vento and came up with the comparison?
@Aroy was considering these two shortlisted options for his next car. He has already driven SX4 and was comparing the Vento TD with it.

Quote:
IMHO, i feel a lot of your opinions might be a bit flawed, maybe because it was a TD car. But then that's the reason they are called opinions, right...

It would have been good if you actually put down your findings [or a pointer] on the Vento-SX4 comparo. Sure we all have our opinions, but detailed replies do help a lot more readers. And it will justify the opinions as well than making the posts feel rude!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th January 2012 at 21:20.
Old 30th January 2012, 21:25   #3936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
@Aroy was considering these two shortlisted options for his next car. He has already driven SX4 and was comparing the Vento TD with it.

It would have been good if you actually put down your findings [or a pointer] on the Vento-SX4 comparo. Sure we all have our opinions, but detailed replies do help a lot more readers. And it will justify the opinions as well than making the posts feel rude!
Point noted. But it's been some time since I rode the SX4. Will try to get my hands on a SX4 diesel and give an honest opinion. Last year in April, I had the SX4 and Swift diesels readily available with me. Could easily figure out the hatch gave more value for the buck than the sedan. Hence the opinion.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 09:55   #3937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Vento only has ABS and no EBD?

As far as my experience goes, ABS without EBD is pretty much useless.

I think the vento would have EBD along with ABS. Are you sure about this?
I checked it has no EBD. That may be the reason why in Autocar brake test SX4 did the best (shortest distance)

Quote:

Btw one aspect where you missed out the biggest difference between both the cars -

I could do that on both the cars when I was planning my purchase. And after those TDs I did a complete u-turn on my decision, which was almost fixed on SX4, right towards the Vento.

IMHO, i feel a lot of your opinions might be a bit flawed, maybe because it was a TD car. But then that's the reason they are called opinions, right. IMO, the Swift is a far better option than the SX4.

@Mustang.101, as per the manual, the Vento only has ABS, no EBD.
The reason was to highlight what a close competitor was offering.

100+ plus was not possible. For that I would need to take it to either the Noida Expressway or the new Gurgaon-Faridabad road.

In my perception the TD car was perfect. I ripped it and it behaved like Petrol - running each gear till 5K RPM, downshifting from 80 in fourth to third and second rapidly. Starting in second and then starting in third.

The current diesel in SX4 is tuned differently from Swift and has a variable vane turbo, both contributing to better performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Well it was my opinion, based on what I perceive as my requirement, in no way impinges on what others may want.

Quote:
Point noted. But it's been some time since I rode the SX4. Will try to get my hands on a SX4 diesel and give an honest opinion. Last year in April, I had the SX4 and Swift diesels readily available with me. Could easily figure out the hatch gave more value for the buck than the sedan. Hence the opinion.
You will be surprised by the current SX4 diesel.
Old 31st January 2012, 10:32   #3938
BHPian

Since I have both the SX4 and the Vento, I think I should be able to give an honest opinion on both. Note the SX4 is 2008 petrol model with 1L kms on the ODO. The Vento is just 2 months old with 5K Kms on the ODO. Also I have had enough miles on the SX4 diesel which my cousin has

SX4 Positives
  • Gear shift is good
  • Ground Clearance
  • Lower cost of maintenance (trust me with 1L KM I know this for a fact)
  • Service networks
  • Awesome engine and easy handling in city (both petrol and diesel)
SX4 Negatives
  • Drive quality is OK
  • Interior quality deteriorates over time (cant say if the same will happen with Vento cause its new yet)
  • Ride is bouncy with low weight (with 4 people and luggage it flattens out a lot)
  • Bad blind spot in A Pillar. You might hear people say that you will get used to it. Honestly you wont, there are many a times it comes across as very annoying.
  • Build quality is typical Japanese.
Vento Positives
  • Amazing engine - Especially on the highway
  • Good Quality interiors & great build
  • Great gear shift
  • Fantastic highway ride quality (but a bit trashy in the city)
  • Best in class handling only matched or neared by the Fiat or the Ford.
Vento Negatives
  • City drivebility is OK OK cause of the heavy clutch(The SX4 is useful here)
  • Service network is quiet flimsy - specially in remote areas
  • Cost of maintenance is definitely on the steeper side specially for accident jobs (This and the previous point is something I have personal experience on )
In jist both have their pro's and cons' and have relatively same mileage figures. Do not consider the only the difference in the horses or the engine size. You need to settle on your driving pattern first and the moolah you want to spend.

If your needs are more city oriented with occasional highway drives (like once a month) my honest opinion would be to get the SX4 with all the bells and whistles rather than the basic Vento. You never know when the ABS and the airbags will come in handy and safe your life that one time. No matter what people say, these are must ! The 1.3L engine in SX4 doesn't show any power lag until you hit the 100 mark in the Speedo. Its only beyond that the Vento turns into a truly different beast. Additionally when both cars are loaded to the brim, the 1.6L TDI engine clearly shows who is the boss.

SX4 is awesome in the City and is much better than the Vento. But its takes a car from a different segment to match the Vento on the Highway. I like both cars but the Vento is my favorite highway companion until my next upgrade.

Note : My last highway drive with my cousins SX4 for company was sometime in December from Chennai to Bangalore. Bother cars had 4 people on it and loaded with luggage. There is definitely some difference but not something to worry you. It is hardly a matter of 15 - 20 mins and of course the feel of doing an 60 in Vento while the Car shows 120 (people who drive the vento will know what I am talking about) while at 120 mark the SX4 feels out of breath.

Last edited by SR-71 : 31st January 2012 at 10:54.
SR-71 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 13:08   #3939
BHPian

Hi,

I am taking delivery of my Vento HL TDi Candy White in a day or two from Palace cross Bangalore. The car as per the dealer is from Dec 2011 stock and the VIN number allotted to me is something like WVW M11607CTxxxxx

Now the 4th character M denotes Dec as month of production but the tenth character C indicates 2012 and that is baffling me. Shouldn't this be "B" for 2011 manufactured cars ???

Can someone here guide me if this VIN number is accurate as I have checked for it twice with the dealer and he says its Dec 2011 manufactured car.

Thanks,
Sameer
Old 31st January 2012, 13:21   #3940
BHPian

Lovely comparo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
SX4 is awesome in the City and is much better than the Vento. But its takes a car from a different segment to match the Vento on the Highway. I like both cars but the Vento is my favorite highway companion until my next upgrade.
Yeah the Vento does feel a little more stiff while driving inside the city with average roads. I cannot comment on the SX4 since I didnt TD it but the Vento does match up pretty well in back to back slow moving traffic with occasional bursts of speeds needed for overtaking. I never ever missed my zippy Zen in the city after it was replaced by the Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
It is hardly a matter of 15 - 20 mins and of course the feel of doing an 60 in Vento while the Car shows 120 (people who drive the vento will know what I am talking about) while at 120 mark the SX4 feels out of breath.
Yup we know what you are talking about here . It just doesnt let you feel any of the speed that you have built up nor do passengers inside feel any discomfort. My aged parents felt just as relaxed while I did some dizzying speeds on the highways. Put a Cruze and a Civic to shame during my recent drive. Of course as long as the roads are good and driveable.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:22   #3941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoolsam View Post
Hi,

I am taking delivery of my Vento HL TDi Candy White in a day or two from Palace cross Bangalore. The car as per the dealer is from Dec 2011 stock and the VIN number allotted to me is something like WVW M11607CTxxxxx

Now the 4th character M denotes Dec as month of production but the tenth character C indicates 2012 and that is baffling me. Shouldn't this be "B" for 2011 manufactured cars ???

Can someone here guide me if this VIN number is accurate as I have checked for it twice with the dealer and he says its Dec 2011 manufactured car.

Thanks,
Sameer
I have an Oct 2011 manufactured Vento TDI and my VIN number's 10th character is also C. The month/year of manufacture per the paperwork was Oct 2011.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:26   #3942
BHPian

The Shadowfax has completed 27878 km on the ODO as of this morning. I guess its time I should change the title of my review thread to "long term ownership" thread.

Here is a little breakup of things

Total Km 27878 KM
Aaverage Mileage recd 15 kmpl
Total Diesel burnt 1859 lit
Total damages @ 46 Rs/lit: Rs 85493
First Service: Rs 8800/-
Cost per KM Rs 3.38

More details will update on the thread

Last edited by evilshantanu : 31st January 2012 at 14:29.
evilshantanu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 15:26   #3943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You will be surprised by the current SX4 diesel.
I did test the new SX4 diesel in detail, within a few months after it was launched. As I did say earlier, it is too long a period for me to exactly remember and compare the pros & cons of this car with the Vento to really comment on a feature by feature basis till I get to ride it again. Will do it in the earliest and revert on it.

However SR-71's review covers quite a few grounds on the Vento, especially on aspects which I felt were a bit wrongly understood (about Vento) in your TD comparision and hence my initial post.

Overall, the SX4 makes a fantastic package, mainly because of the fact that it comes from the Maruti stable and with all the assurances of their network, which the Vento can't provide. As a product to product comparison, I still would stick to the point - the Vento is a much better product, however I would never exclude the SX4 as a worthy competitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoolsam View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
Sameer
The VIN decoding format for VW on TBHP is somehow not accurate. Post your VIN on his thread to get an accurate & detailed report. Or you could use links available on the net to get the basic details for your date of manufacture.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 31st January 2012 at 15:27.
Old 31st January 2012, 15:28   #3944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
According to the user manual it is 1000 kms and one shouldn't exceed 2/3rd of the top speed of the car during run in period which translates into 124 Kmph keeping in mind top speed of 186 Kmph.
Are you serious...so I can drive at upto 124...during the run in
and correct me...but isn't run in more to do with the the rpm??
Old 31st January 2012, 15:41   #3945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatiagagan View Post
Are you serious...so I can drive at upto 124...during the run in
and correct me...but isn't run in more to do with the the rpm??
I considered a run-in period of 2500 KM and so did Noop, Nilesh and Topspeeder. Quoting again, the entire idea of the run-in is to get the engine used to wide range of RPMs, I did occasionally go to 120 km/hr, but not for long. For a majority of the run-in period I kept the maximum speed to 100 km/hr. Though with the amazing torque its quite tough to do that

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks