Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 09:52   #9331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
When I returned however (10 mins hence), the car had become significantly warmer and the aircon was throwing warm air in spite of being turned Low. We switched the car off but it refused to start. After waiting for only 15 mins however, the car turned on and the moment we started moving, the aircon became impressively cool again! The ASS seem to have no clue!

As the service center diagnosed , it is usually a case of radiator fans not working that causes the AC to die when idle. I have faced the same issue in one of my earlier cars and it was corrected once the fan was replaced. After the fan was replaced , do you see the radiator fans spinning ? Best way would be to find an FNG to solve this problem, since the ASS seems irresponsible. A 40 km drive is not a good test of the solution , since when the car is running , air rushing through the grill will help the engine even if the fan is not working. Service center has to confirm AC is working while the car is idle. In my earlier car , the AC would come back on every time I crossed 60 kmph.
Old 16th May 2019, 12:50   #9332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The trouble started about 4 months back. The car was running fine and I had had a long drive back in Mumbai's bumper to bumper traffic. The air-conditioning suddenly switched off. I had read that this happens if the engine is overheating. However no warning light came on and home wasn't too far so I simply rolled down the windows and came home, with a plan to go to the ASS in the morning. However, the air-conditioning was working fine in the morning. In fact, through the drive that day and several subsequent drives the car gave no trouble.
I get the feeling that the ASS just did a basic part replacement without really understanding the issue with your car. What I would suggest is a proper diagnosis of the actual issue from a FNG who has a good understanding of VAG cars and can hook up to the system to do a proper diagnosis.

To keep it short seems like the compressor is getting cut-off on the power supply and hence the AC stops doing it's job; but comes back on once you switch off and switch on the car after a short time-break. Clearly, the parts that have been replaced are not the cause of the issue.

From a personal experience basis, I'd recommend SK Karzone in Panvel; excellent workshop run by a bhpian (not very active though). Can PM you his details if you require that. Else there are good FNGs within the city too; although they might be a lil more expensive (again from past experience).
Old 16th May 2019, 12:53   #9333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
From a personal experience basis, I'd recommend SK Karzone in Panvel; excellent workshop run by a bhpian (not very active though). Can PM you his details if you require that. Else there are good FNGs within the city too; although they might be a lil more expensive (again from past experience).
Thanks. I've used Karzone before. However it's a tad difficult to reach now given my location. Don't mind spending a bit more. Any recommendations in the city?
Old 16th May 2019, 14:16   #9334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is an SOS call. I have a Vento TDi, HL, 2012. The car has been a dream to own, in spite of several struggles with various ASS and multiple instances of car coming back with nicks and scars from the workshop. The 1.6 engine fills me with joy even now, every time I am behind the wheel. However I'm not sure this can go on any longer!

g, the aircon became impressively cool again! The ASS seem to have no clue!

I really like the car and have recently upgraded the suspension and spent another 50K on service and spares, because I just can't find another car which gives me as much joy. But can't live with this unreliability obviously. Was hoping the experts here would have some insight.
I had an issue with my Fan, its bearings were jammed and itself was moving front and back and was hitting the frame. It used to stop turning after sometime. This resulted in AC turning off with engine temperature rising (checked with OBDII data and it was very high). Got the fan replaced at FNG and although the fan works fine (with more noise for some reason), AC still turns itself OFF in heavy traffic. Even I need to get it checked with the same friendly FNG. Not sure what else could be wrong.

Its really bad when AC goes off on ORR here since that's where my office is. Going back in the evening is fine and so are drives to Mysuru etc. Too many issues on the car cropping up. Planning to put OBDII scanner and see the temperature today evening and see.
Old 16th May 2019, 18:49   #9335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I've used Karzone before. However it's a tad difficult to reach now given my location. Don't mind spending a bit more. Any recommendations in the city?
Below are some recos from Mumbai based mods when I put up a similar Q some time back

Quote:
Would suggest searching through the Team-BHP directory. Lots of recommendations there. My cars go to Sunil Shanbagh @ Select Auto. He is slow though.
Quote:
Shreyas Hegde @ United AutoTech (Malad West)
http://www.unitedautotech.in/

Good guy, and their work is good & reasonably priced.

7 out of 8 times I've had a good experience with them.

Speak to him about the VAG setup you want, as I'm not sure.
Quote:
Pai Auto
Address: 3, New Hari Nivas, Linking Road Extension,
Santacruz West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400054
Tel: 022 2661 4798

Apart from having the relevant diagnostic tools, they have been working on imported cars since forever, so the VAG cars will mostly be a walk in the park. Highly recommended.
Old 26th May 2019, 12:55   #9336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I need the fellow Ventopians help on two queries I have.
  1. Between 1100 to 1300 rpm the engine sound is harsh, particularly when I drive in the 4th gear. This is after the emission fix that had been done in 2017. Lived with it, till beginning of this year as the felt material covering below the engine kept the noise low. However I lost that in an incident when I went to Munnar and now the noise is audible enough to be annoying. Did anyone experienced the same issue? If so, how did you fix it?
  2. Where can I get the felt material engine covering and how much does it cost?
Planning for a trip in next couple of weeks. Any response before that would be of great help.

Sorry to poke again. Haven't seen any response on this. Can somebody help?
Also, seeing an additional problem. The fuel lid is not locking when I lock the car. Previously, only if I unlock the car, the fuel lid can be opened. Now it opens by just pushing it any time, whether locked or unlocked. How do I get this resolved.

Last edited by Crank : 26th May 2019 at 12:57. Reason: Additional query
Old 27th May 2019, 08:45   #9337
BHPian

Quote:
The fuel lid is not locking when I lock the car.
The fuel door actuator needs to be serviced or replaced.

Here is how you can do it yourself

Else you can buy it in the service center or Aliexpress.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bYBx3GE4

Last edited by thenomad : 27th May 2019 at 08:46.
thenomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 09:00   #9338
BHPian

Quote:
The fuel lid is not locking when I lock the car. Previously, only if I unlock the car, the fuel lid can be opened. Now it opens by just pushing it any time, whether locked or unlocked. How do I get this resolved.
You will have to replace the fuel lid actuator. It will cost around Rs.1800 at the service center. I had to replace mine after the fuel lid stopped locking
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 13:54   #9339
BHPian

Hello All. I am currently in the lookout of a car for my office commute (about 20kms a day) and occasional highway drives. I don't have any fixed budget or type of car to buy. So I was just doing some window shopping and visited a Volkswagen dealership here in Guwahati. Enquired about the Vento.

The top end Highline 1.6 Petrol (Manual) is being offered at about 11L on road (can be reduced further to 10.75L after some bargaining). The price point at which it is being offered is tempting to me. I also checked out the Honda City Zx i-vtec (Manual) and it was being offered at 13.5L on road.

While I'm still impressed with the dated looks of the car and okay with the limited accessories it provides, what I'm only concerned is the after sales service of Volkswagen after reading a lot of horror stories. Added to the fact that this is a new dealership. The previous dealership of Volkswagen in Guwahati was shut down and the city was without a VW dealership for couple of years.

Is the price point good enough for me to take the plunge? What other considerations do I need to have before buying a Vento?

Last edited by TD_GHY : 27th May 2019 at 13:56.
Old 27th May 2019, 18:05   #9340
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
You will have to replace the fuel lid actuator. It will cost around Rs.1800 at the service center. I had to replace mine after the fuel lid stopped locking
Isn't it made of plastic ? just a relay with some plastic shroud ? 1800 is ridiculous. How much does a vento strut cost ? 3600 (guessing) ? then the actuator costs half as much as a strut.
Old 30th May 2019, 18:32   #9341
BHPian

Hey everyone! I've booked a Vento TSI and the SA just called to inform that the vehicle has arrived at the stockyard directly from the plant and I can do the PDI tomorrow. Now, this is my first car and I'm getting jitters right now I'm counting on replies to this post for the right thing to do!

SA says that he will get the car to the showroom from the stockyard so I can do the PDI at the showroom itself. The stockyard is in the outskirts of Bangalore, about 25 kms away from the showroom, and I'm getting very paranoid about some random driver driving my soon-to-be car till the showroom.

I told him that I wanted to do the PDI at the stockyard itself but he said that it's not allowed for the customers to go to the stockyard but he assured me that the car will be driven very sedately to the showroom - since it's not registered yet they will take extra care during the transfer. I've also conveyed that the ODO reading should not be more than 25 kms - he agreed.

Now, it's a well-reputed Volkswagen dealership in Bangalore and the SA has been very nice and compliant to my requests till now so I don't suspect any monkey business here - I've also verified the VIN details and will be very cautious during the PDI - but should I insist on visiting the stockyard for PDI or is it fine for them to get the car to the showroom, it's only 25 km after all - what's the right level of paranoia during the process?

Last edited by kubectl : 30th May 2019 at 18:34.
Old 30th May 2019, 19:00   #9342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
Now, it's a well-reputed Volkswagen dealership in Bangalore and the SA has been very nice and compliant to my requests till now so I don't suspect any monkey business here - I've also verified the VIN details and will be very cautious during the PDI - but should I insist on visiting the stockyard for PDI or is it fine for them to get the car to the showroom, it's only 25 km after all - what's the right level of paranoia during the process?
Don't worry too much about it. Let them bring the car to the showroom, do the PDI and then pay them the remaining amount once you're satisfied. I have never been to the stockyard - the first time I saw our Polo was in the showroom.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 19:14   #9343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Don't worry too much about it. Let them bring the car to the showroom, do the PDI and then pay them the remaining amount once you're satisfied. I have never been to the stockyard - the first time I saw our Polo was in the showroom.
Phew! Thanks for this, I can sleep in peace tonight
Old 30th May 2019, 19:24   #9344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubectl View Post
Hey everyone! I've booked a Vento TSI..

SA says that he will get the car to the showroom from the stockyard so I can do the PDI at the showroom itself. The stockyard is in the outskirts of Bangalore, about 25 kms away from the showroom, and I'm getting very paranoid about some random driver driving my soon-to-be car till the showroom.
Firstly, a hearty congratulations on your beauty, wishing you tons and tons of happy miles with the car. Secondly, there is no such thing as buyers who's cars have arrived aren't allowed to check them out at the stockyard, so you definitely are allowed. Also, if they still insist that you can't check the car out there, then please don't let any of their drivers drive the car down to the showroom. Either take a taxi to the stockyard and sit with the driver on the return journey in your car. Or drive it yourself with the driver's permission/showroom's permission. I've seen too many brand new customer cars being driven rashly with the odo disconnected and feel bad every time for the buyer not knowing what his car is going through. Hope you figure out a solution, wish you were here in Gurgaon, I would've helped you out with this as I have good ties with the dealer here. A hearty congratulations nonetheless, wish you a happy ownership
CarLoverJosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 19:58   #9345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Firstly, a hearty congratulations on your beauty, wishing you tons and tons of happy miles with the car. Secondly, there is no such thing as buyers who's cars have arrived aren't allowed to check them out at the stockyard, so you definitely are allowed. Also, if they still insist that you can't check the car out there, then please don't let any of their drivers drive the car down to the showroom. Either take a taxi to the stockyard and sit with the driver on the return journey in your car. Or drive it yourself with the driver's permission/showroom's permission. I've seen too many brand new customer cars being driven rashly with the odo disconnected and feel bad every time for the buyer not knowing what his car is going through. Hope you figure out a solution, wish you were here in Gurgaon, I would've helped you out with this as I have good ties with the dealer here. A hearty congratulations nonetheless, wish you a happy ownership
Yikes! Guess I'm not sleeping again, haha! Thanks a lot for the wishes

I tried pushing a bit to visit the stockyard and/or driving the car from stockyard to showroom and/or accompanying the driver in the car but the SA didn't budge. To be honest, I didn't push that hard because I was half-convinced of his reasons that if anything happens to the car before registration, then it's their responsibility - and now that I'm thinking about it 25 km on the odo is not a big deal.

I have not and will not budge on other fronts, like in-person PDI, VIN details, Form 22, written communication, etc - but as for these 25 kms, I'll swallow it down with a lump in my throat I guess.

As for my next Volkswagen car, I'll make sure I get it in Gurgaon and drive all the way to Bangalore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks