Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2014, 19:20   #286
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Answering my own questions for others benefit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Lets say I stay in jurisdiction of RTO A and have bought a car, whose life time tax has been paid, which is registered in jurisdiction of RTO B within Bangalore.

1. Is it necessary to apply for transfer of ownership a RTO A only? In which case I would require to apply for NOC in RTO B
RJT : Yes I can apply at RTO A only. NOC is required only for inter-state transfer. However, Clearence Certificate (CC) is to be obtained from RTO B prior to approaching RTO A.

2. Can I apply for transfer of ownership at RTO B itself? Lets say the RTO B is close enough to my house and I am ok with visiting RTO B, should the need arise, at any time during the ownership.
RJT : No. Cannot be applied at RTO B.

3. Does there have to be a correlation between residence address and RTO within the same city?
RJT: For used cars, yes. For new cars in Blore, no.

I am asking this as I have met and spoken to several people whose vehicles have been registered in RTO's which does not have jurisdiction in the area of owners residence.

This question is w.r.t Bangalore only.
Old 8th July 2014, 20:01   #287
BHPian

I have a quick question to ask. I did find one earlier similar question but wanted to be more specific:
I am planning to sell my car to an individual in Bangalore who is almost like a taxi driver. ( Though he is buying for himself, all his friends who came to inspect car were taxi drivers.)
In addition to the documentation mentioned in the GTO's opening mail, is there any specific precaution that I need to take while dealing with him? Is there a risk involved that I might be overlooking ?He is planning to pay by cash. Please guide.
Thanks in advance.
Old 16th July 2014, 11:20   #288
BHPian

Some of the RTOs only accept forms purchased only from their office. For example the Goa RTO(Vasco) only accept the form purchased from their office. This I feel is only for revenue and in principle all government forms should be accessible for citizens freely. So please confirm it with a agent or RTO before filling the form. They collected Rs. 60 for vehicle transfer forms from me.
Old 27th July 2014, 13:51   #289
BHPian

An opinion on internet portals for selling used cars

I just sold my car and thought I would share my personal experience of using various internet portals for listing the car sale ad. I was clear that I did not want to sell to a used car dealer as (a) I would rather sell the car to a "good home" and I would have no control over who a dealer would sell to (b) I was uncomfortable with the car not being transferred formally for a month or two and (c) better price

Carwale.com - Had a very good response rate. A number of enquiries came both from used car dealers as well as individuals seeking to buy for themselves

Cardekho.com - Very few enquiries and in retrospect not worth listing

Cartrade.com - Complete waste of time; not a single enquiry

Zigwheels.com - Useless; the ad didn't even get listed as their "verification process" didn't happen !

Team-BHP.com - Interestingly only one enquiry, and that too non serious, from here. On hindsight, I am not surprised. I was trying to sell an i10 and I suppose TBHP is better suited to selling Lamborghinis

Quikr.com - Surprisingly best response rate of all and almost all enquiries were from individuals seeking to buy for themselves as opposed to used car dealers. Finally I sold my car to somebody who responded to the Quikr ad. He mentioned why they preferred Quikr to search for cars - apparently in the dedicated car portals, the buyer making the enquiry is required to give his telephone number. My buyer mentioned that when they did that, they got bombarded with so many calls from used car dealers, that they stopped looking at car portals !

A few other experiences to share on selling the car through an online forum
  • Used car dealers are prowling around the car portals, especially Carwale. They seem to have some auto tracker ; some 30 seconds after I posted my ad, the phone started ringing ! Since I was very clear I was not going to sell to a dealer, it was easy to deal with them, even if a bit annoying
  • I learnt to get patient with people asking me basic questions like age of the car or kilometres done, when it was all listed in the ad. Frequently, people are responding to many ads and forget specifically the details of each one. Even serious buyers asked for details that were all in the ad and I learnt not to get irritated at it.
  • It is better to pay and list your ad as a Premium Ad - almost all portals offer this. In most portals, the free ad starts in Page 3 or so and in a day or two your listing will descend to Page 25. You dramatically increase your chances of attracting more buyers by being on Page 1 - same logic as in Google Search.
  • Every three days or so, it would be good to alter your ad and drop price by a token amount - say Rs 5000. This ensures that your ad is always "recent" - most portals treat the date of the amendment as the date of the ad !
  • Most portals have a "Know your value" functionality where you can estimate what price your car will go for. They are all inflated to make you feel good I suppose. Only TBHP's valuer gave me the true price - the car got sold near the top of the range that the TBHP valuer said.
  • It is good to remove your ads as soon as you have struck a deal. The phone stops ringing !!
Secretariat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 08:19   #290
Senior - BHPian

Is it safe to sell a car to the foreigners (working in their embassy or on a UN project in India for a couple of years) ?

What documents should be asked ?
Old 7th August 2014, 13:17   #291
BHPian

Here is my situation:

1) We had given our firm's (partnership firm) car to the car dealer (Fiat-Tata dealer, but now only selling Tata cars) when I purchased my new car (Linea) in exchange offer in 2012.

2) At that time, we had signed the forms 29,30. And got a delivery note from the dealer where they have declared that from hereon they are responsible for the further sale, etc.

3) The exchange value of the old car has been mentioned in the invoice of the new car.

4) I did not hear from anyone till a month back when someone or the other calls up. Either they say they are from "RTO" or the dealers, stating that we need to go to the RTO office to sign as the dealer is now selling the car.

Question:

What is the rule in such cases? Is it compulsory for the seller (firm, in the case) to go to the RTO office to effect this sale?

What should be done guys?
Old 12th August 2014, 12:16   #292
BHPian

Hi, I am in an unique Situation. My Merc was declared as total Loss and was sold to Salvage Buyer from Bajaj Alliance General Insurance (BAGIC). As stated by BAGIC rep Mr Ejaz Ahemad, I was asked to sign on a Sale agreement between me and Salvage Vendor Mr. Dawood.
It is more than a month now I dont have any clue what happened to my Old car and the Salvage Buyer is not responding to my Call nor the insurance guys.

Once the car is treated as total loss can It be sold after repair? What should be done from the seller in this Situation.
Old 12th August 2014, 13:07   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiw View Post
Hi, I am in an unique Situation. My Merc was declared as total Loss and was sold to Salvage Buyer from Bajaj Alliance General Insurance (BAGIC). As stated by BAGIC rep Mr Ejaz Ahemad, I was asked to sign on a Sale agreement between me and Salvage Vendor Mr. Dawood.
It is more than a month now I dont have any clue what happened to my Old car and the Salvage Buyer is not responding to my Call nor the insurance guys.

Once the car is treated as total loss can It be sold after repair? What should be done from the seller in this Situation.
Yes ,even if the car is declared as total loss ,the car can be repaired and sold. That is why you are signing a sale letter. Have you signed it? Is your claim settled? Keep a copy of the sale letter with you so that it doesn't affect you in the future.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 20:48   #294
BHPian

I am not sure if this thread is still alive however i am in desperate need of help and hence reaching out

I recently sold my 7 year old wagonR duo (LPG+Petrol) and in process of getting it transferred to the new owner. The agent who is trying to help with the transfer formalities has come back and asked for a LPG certificate.

Apparently the original certificate was applicable for a period of 5 years and has expired in 2012. I couldn't find any procedure on any of the RTO sites for re-certification. Hence looking for pointers to resolve the matter
Old 13th August 2014, 23:45   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
I am not sure if this thread is still alive however i am in desperate need of help and hence reaching out

I recently sold my 7 year old wagonR duo (LPG+Petrol) and in process of getting it transferred to the new owner. The agent who is trying to help with the transfer formalities has come back and asked for a LPG certificate.

Apparently the original certificate was applicable for a period of 5 years and has expired in 2012. I couldn't find any procedure on any of the RTO sites for re-certification. Hence looking for pointers to resolve the matter
Was the LPG kit installed later on the WagonR? Did you get the LPG-installation endorsed on the RC after installation (it's an RTO process) - perhaps that's what the buyer is asking for?
Old 14th August 2014, 08:24   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Was the LPG kit installed later on the WagonR? Did you get the LPG-installation endorsed on the RC after installation (it's an RTO process) - perhaps that's what the buyer is asking for?
It was factory fitted and is already endorsed on the RC
Old 21st October 2014, 17:20   #297
BHPian

Hello GTO
Thanks very much for the wonderful write up & attachments.
Due to this restoration craze, I had purchased about 8 two wheelers. Except one I have transferred everything in my name now, thanks for your detailing.

If you could, kindly help on the following queries -

1. The form "Delivery note" talks about transfer of Risk from Seller to buyer. Doesn't this hold good with respect to non Transfer. What is the significance of this Delivery note
2. When the owner gets notices, can he not refer the Delivery note date upon which the risk was transferred - Does this Document hold good legally
3. FC - Fitness Certificate - If a vehicle's FC is expired, can the buyer get the ownership transferred or the FC has to be done by the Seller only.
4. ON FC - If the vehicle is say about 25+ years there should have been 2 endorsements 15 Years, 20, years . In this case, can the FC be done in one go.
5. Without the FC can the Insurance be done.
6. I got the Vehicles transferred belonging to Mangalore in Mysore without any issues - I am sure the agent I gave money took care of this. Need to know generally within Karnataka RTOs is obtaining Cc is enough ? what is the procedure for obtaining this.

Sorry too many questions, could not find answers on websites hence getting back to you.

Ananth

Ananth
Old 23rd October 2014, 17:51   #298

Finally closed the deal on the sale of my 2 year old Wagon-R VXi today. I laid the condition that for the car to be delivered, I will need to get the clearance certificate from the RTO, only then, can they take the car out of my parking area.

The RTO website should have its content corrected. While it states that the clearance certificate can be collected the next evening from the date of submitting the documents.

The deal was inked at the start of the holiday season, hence upon applying to the RTO on 20-Sep; there was no response or interest shown upon by the RTO counters.

We did not expect that this would take 30 days. Things started to get messy towards the end of the 30 day period with the buyers. So, had to visit the RTO, where a senior person empathized on the delay, and handed over the CC and RC smart card after correcting it. It was long pending.

While it is sad to see the first car exchange hands, I am consoled by the arrival of the Fiat Linea T-Jer! The 50 BHP upgrade is definitely helping me.
Old 12th December 2014, 01:01   #299
BHPian

I am planning to buy an used civic which the price is agreed with the seller as 4 lacs. The car is under hypothecation for an amount of 3 lacs. Now seller wants to foreclose this loan with the money that I give and is unwilling to part with his money to foreclose.

Is this procedure of giving him the entire amount without NOC document from financer acceptable ? He is willing to give me the car and other documents like RC book, insurance , RTO forms etc once I hand over the money in full; but the NOC document from the finance company will be given only after a week after the formalities are completed.

Do you think it is safe for me to hand over the 4 lacs to him , take delivery of the car and just "hope" that he will be true to his word and revert with the NOC from the financer within a week or do I stick to the stand of paying him after he gives me the NOC ?
the other option seller gave me is to pay 3 lacs directly to bank n pay him only differance.
Old 12th December 2014, 02:31   #300
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
Is this procedure of giving him the entire amount without NOC document from financer acceptable ? He is willing to give me the car and other documents like RC book, insurance , RTO forms etc once I hand over the money in full; but the NOC document from the finance company will be given only after a week after the formalities are completed.

Do you think it is safe for me to hand over the 4 lacs to him , take delivery of the car and just "hope" that he will be true to his word and revert with the NOC from the financer within a week or do I stick to the stand of paying him after he gives me the NOC ?
the other option seller gave me is to pay 3 lacs directly to bank n pay him only differance.
HDFC Bank provides NOC immediately (or latest in an hour) if a car loan is pre-closed using HDFC Bank cheque.

You may check directly with the seller's financier about the procedure and timeline. If they can provide NOC immediately, you may go to the financier along with seller, pay by cheque and collect the NOC. Win-Win situation for both of you!

Since he agreed to provide you the vehicle and all the forms signed along with the original RC and keys, he is at a greater risk if you don't transfer the RC & Insurance to your name. So practically, I see no reason he would not provide you the NOC a week later as promised.
D C is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks