Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 19:22   #421
Senior - BHPian

Myself and Shiva made a detailed inspection the car this evening.We found out that:
- Car is a 1993 Make Premier Padmini BE
- It seems to have S1 head
- Carburattor is Piersburg (as rightly pointed by Behram sir)
- Floor gear box could be Nissan,but we are not sure of this.

Manish,I was told that the air vents were not only restricted to S1 and few models of Padmini did come with them.Anyway that doesnt reduce the confusion.
IMHO the car is only 50% original from my standards.
Indeed now its a difficult decision to acquire the car or not.
Old 10th April 2010, 20:33   #422
BHPian

Dear all- if its 1993, then its not an S1, 1995 was the year s1 was launched till 1997. i have seen the cars of all three years. some difference in the seat material otherwise more or less same.

If theres still is the confusion. Please look out for the radiator, if its in the extreme right corner nor centre with a electric fan. its an S1 Thats what i had done when i got my car, just like its a boy ad of pulsar.
Even the exhaust manifold will have two instead of one pipe from the manifold.

As you said the head is of S1, what was the benefit of S1 head over regular heads ? can it be fitted ?
Behram your views please.
Old 10th April 2010, 21:05   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
To clear few things:
- This car is a 1993 Deluxe BE as per the RC book.
- Weber carburattor is fitted as I have removed the air filter and seen it myself.
- AC is an after fitment and not company fitted.
- am not sure of the NE gear box,but will have it checked soon.Though the gear shifts have been extremely smooth,which is possible with only a NE gear box.
All this is very much possible. Atleast from the photographs the car is clearly an S1. Apart from the obvious differences like the cooling system, even the small details (like the distinguished brake oil reservoir) point towards the car being an S1. Conversion would have been a possibility, but the detail to which the car has S1 nitigrities, that possibility has also been ruled out. Please check if the groves near the sparkplug are like Padmini ones or fully filled with metal. All S1 cylinder heads had these groves filled with metal. However the non-existence of S1 in 1993 is also true. The only acceptable explanation I could think of would be that the chassis plate has been changed for whatsoever reasons. Believe me, this is very much possible, can be done and is done regularly.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 10th April 2010, 21:35   #424
BHPian

Ok point taken, but the mechanic clearly says that they have modified the cooling system to that of a S1 which initially was like the old PP. Another interesting point here is about the head itself it has the manifold heating pod (pipe channeled from the radiator to the intake manifold -- like the one's present in the original 1100's from fiat) which tends me to believe that its a s1 head. So if one needs to believe that the chassis plate has been modified then the theory of mechanic strongly saying about the conversion of the cooling system and the car indeed being a 93 Be will not be correct. I have checked the plate where the eng / chassis number is present and it says H93 I should have compared the chassis number embosed on the chassis with the one on the plate.
Old 11th April 2010, 00:19   #425
Senior - BHPian

So its a 1993 PP Deluxe BE which is fitted with S1 head and cooling system. Gearbox might be of Nissan.

Hillram: Have you purchased the car already?
Old 11th April 2010, 01:38   #426
Senior - BHPian

@Arun..I havent purchased yet.Im a little hesitant with the gear box as i wanted a Nissan Gearbox.We are unable to tell this.
another worry is the presence of Piersburg carburrator,which according to Behram sir,were not good in performence.I was under the impression it has Weber carb.
Inspite of this, it seems to be a good car and Shiva also vouched for it.
I will decide in a day or two.

Last edited by hillram : 11th April 2010 at 01:44.
Old 11th April 2010, 01:50   #427
Senior - BHPian

Ram: You already have two lovely Fiats.

I feel your next Fiat/Padmini should be a similar one rather than a mix and match car.

Some pics of a immaculately maintained S1 in Bengaluru. A real treat to our eyes!

Samsag: Your S1 is same variant as this S1.? But the meter doesn't seem to have the hand brake warning light.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc09742.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc09746.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc09748.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc09750.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc09752.jpg  

Last edited by arun1100 : 11th April 2010 at 01:53.
Old 11th April 2010, 02:01   #428
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Ram: You already have two lovely Fiats.

I feel your next Fiat/Padmini should be a similar one rather than a mix and match car.

Some pics of a immaculately maintained S1 in Bengaluru. A real treat to our eyes!

Samsag: Your S1 is same variant as this S1.? But the meter doesn't seem to have the hand brake warning light.
OH this is Rs. 1,00,000 car right?
Old 11th April 2010, 03:17   #429
Senior - BHPian

Indeed Arun..this is a immaculate S1.
You have understood me correctly.I dont want to go for a Fiat which has been blended with various non-orginal parts,though the performence of the car is good.
Old 11th April 2010, 07:19   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Indeed Arun..this is a immaculate S1.
You have understood me correctly.I dont want to go for a Fiat which has been blended with various non-orginal parts,though the performence of the car is good.
Ram, a noteworthy point here the chassis number AFAIK should have BE stamped on it if it is a BE car. I dont know whether it is a mandate or not. Attaching the picture of my engine bay
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-img_3239.jpg  

Old 11th April 2010, 09:21   #431
Senior - BHPian

In my recent posts i stated that it must be a mix and match car(deluxe BE). And it indeed is. Anyways IMHO Ram bhai don't pick it up unless you get it for 5K bucks Its useless to buy it and get it in original shape. Will cost you a lot to bring back its originality. So leave it for someone else.
@arun1100 Arun bhai the pics of white S1 you posted seems in immaculate condition. The owner must be very passionate about his car. Yes sir my S1 is the same variant S1 as this one. It had the same rexine door pads, upholstery etc and other things but due to wear and tear they have been replaced. Attached is the pic of the different variants of S1 offered during its launch.
NOTE the BU stated version.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-scan0007.jpg  

Old 11th April 2010, 11:42   #432
Senior - BHPian

Ram: I think your next Fiat should be either a -
Premier President
or
Safari
or
S1.

Parts for President are difficult to source. Now is the right time to buy one and restore to originality.
Old 11th April 2010, 11:54   #433
Senior - BHPian

Arun, the white S1 looks in immaculate condition. Just saw the engine compartment, not even a speck of dust on it

Spike
Old 11th April 2010, 12:04   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Arun, the white S1 looks in immaculate condition. Just saw the engine compartment, not even a speck of dust on it

Spike
Yeah Spike.. It belongs to a Doctor. He is seen in one of the pics. This S1 is his 8th Fiat, his first car being a 1954 Fiat 1100! I just couldn't believe it.

We initially thought the car was for sale. But it is not.

P.S: Hope you too will buy a Fiat 1100 sometime and start a Fiat Club in Kerala!

Last edited by arun1100 : 11th April 2010 at 12:08.
Old 11th April 2010, 12:14   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Yeah Spike.. It belongs to a Doctor. He is seen in one of the pics. This S1 is his 8th Fiat, his first car being a 1954 Fiat 1100! I just couldn't believe it.

We initially thought the car was for sale. But it is not.
Does he still retain all the cars

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks