Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 13:35   #271
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Nikhil Bhai...you made my day..Indeed Im very happy for you and Its a big YES from HCSC. You will most definitly be inducted as a member at the next meet with a surprise.
Thanks a Ton Ram Bhai for the warm welcome. I shall surely be there at the HCSC Meet. This bug bit me, when I was designing that HCSC Logo. It was something that made me eager to lay my hands on this.

Quote:
Do post some pictures of the Bajaj Super..which is a classic in its own world.
I always thought only Vespa's are considered in this category. Thanks for inducting a Bajaj Super too. Pictures coming up after a brief about my SuperStar

Here's how this 26 year old SuperStar landed in my lap. I rechristen my Bajaj Super as SuperStar

One of my Mom's Uncle owned this scooter and had been using it for the past 26 years. About a year and half back, he had an operation and adviced to avoid driving the scotter and shift to a gear less scooter to avoid extra strain.

Due to this, his scooter's been lying idle for good 6 months, when one of his friends took it from him to use it. A mere day or two of usage, his friend too dumped it for good in his garage. Been lying in vegitative state from the past 1.5 years.

Had a casual word with my grand-father (as he is my mom's uncle, that means he is my grand father ) about the scooter about 2 months back. The moment I mentioned him about the scooter, the was more than happy to hand it over to him as he wanted to see it running and not lying somewhere in the junk. Who better to hand it over to than his own Grand Son, that was me. All he said was, "Nikhil, I am not willing to sell this. I want to give it to someone, who would value it and use it. Rather than letting it rot, I would love to see someone use it".

Atlast, yesterday I made up my mind to bring home the "SuperStar". Landed at my grandfather's friends place to get the scooter back.

The mere sight of the scooter was disheartening as it was all under mud and muck. The SuperStar has turned into a housing complex for spiders with thick spider webs spun around the scooter at every possible place. Wish I could take some pics of the same :(

Got the Security Guy to clean up the mess and that was the moment, I had a gleam in my eyes. Seeing the scooter back in its original color.

Been lying idle for more than a year, any one would expect the air pressure in the tyres to be reduced to bare minimum. Where as this was not the case here, there was no drop in air pressure and the scooter was standing on its two legs once off the stand. That was a good sign that the tyres were doing great.

Now comes the fuel part, more than 1 year its been used and the petrol would obviously have dried up. The first thing that comes to mind is "Will this start even after pouring the fuel?". I had no apprehensions of this sort as I always knew how this scooter was maintained earlier.

Opened the fuel lid and poured 1 liter petrol into its hungry stomach, gave it the much needed Bajaj 45° bend and then a single kick and engine scream to life.

It was a moment, we all have been waiting for, especially myself and my grandfather. The spark in his eyes and the smile on his face was a million dollar moment. He was happiest of all that his scooter even after being idle for more than a year has sprung back to life with just a kick.

His friend said "When I used it for a day or two, i had to kick atleast 4-5 times to start this, where as your grandson has started this in one single kick". My grand father said in Hindi "Jiski ghodi uski laat se sunti (The horse pays heed to only the owner)"

Drove this SuperStar for about 40 kms yesterday and mentally made a note of things, which need to be addressed at the earliest. The other non so important things can wait for now.

Things to be addressed to at the earliest:
1. No Brakes at all. Need to get the brakes done.
2. Clutch & Gear Adjustment. 4th gear takes it to almost perpendicular angle. The Clutch Rod touches my knees, when in 4th gear.
3. Front Seat Repair
4. Replace the Foot Rest
5. A good water wash to remove muck, especially around the petrol tank area

Next to do list:
1. Change the Floor Mat
2. Stick all the missing monograms
3. Remove the stepney tyre with its assembly
4. Remove the front dickey

Did not really think about repainting this scooter as of now. How much do you think it would cost to repaint it? In case you guys notice any thing, please do let me know.

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-superstar.jpg

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-superstar-1.jpg

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-superstar-2.jpg

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-superstar-3.jpg
Old 4th July 2011, 14:03   #272
Senior - BHPian

That was a wonderful account you have given to introduce us to Superstar Nikhil.it definitly looks good.But a restoration is needed to bring it back to full glory.I will speak to you as soon as I'm back in Hyderabad.I have few suggestions.
Old 4th July 2011, 14:43   #273
BHPian

Thanks Ram Bhai, I knew that there would be some really worthwhile suggestions coming in from your side for this. I shall eagerly await for your suggestions once you are back. In the meantime, I would be getting the seat and brakes repaired to make sure that I enjoy the ride even more.
Old 4th July 2011, 14:45   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I have finally acquired a Bajaj Super 1985 Model.
Welcome to the club Nikhil!! Now my 1982 Bajaj Super has company!!

Quote:
@Rahul..HCSC Anniversary falls on August 15th which gives us time to plan and execute a better quality meet.
I suggested 21st August 2011 for the meet as there will be a DHAA event on 15th August 2011. I am open for both the dates. Anyway lets meet up once you are back.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 4th July 2011, 16:06   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Here's how this 26 year old SuperStar landed in my lap. I rechristen my Bajaj Super as SuperStar
Nice narrative Nikhil and congratulations. This is going to be my inspiration to start working on my father's 24 year old bajaj super. I was lucky enough to save atleast that one of my family vehicles from being sold. Here are a couple of pics.

Priyadarshan
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-dscn7935-large.jpg  

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-dscn7936-large.jpg  

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-dscn7937-large.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 4th July 2011 at 16:51. Reason: Removing unneccesary entire quote.
Old 4th July 2011, 16:39   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Welcome to the club Nikhil!! Now my 1982 Bajaj Super has company!!
Thanks Rahul and yes, your 1982 does for sure have company of its younger 1985 sibling. Who knows, your 118 might also get a sibling one fine day. Keeping fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Nice narrative Nikhil and congratulations. This is going to be my inspiration to start working on my father's 24 year old bajaj super. I was lucky enough to save atleast that one of my family vehicles from being sold. Here are a couple of pics.
Thanks Priyadarshan. It was because of this thread that I had that itch to lay my hands on this. If not for this thread, this would not have been possible.

Special thanks to Hillram, who was the one instrumental behind me getting this. Once he just casually said, "Nikhil I think you should also have one of these scooters".
Old 5th July 2011, 00:20   #277
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Nikhil to the club, a club where passion matters. No matter which scooter you have if it is pre 80's then you matter a lot to us .

You's scooter is a Bajaj super and it's indeed a super STAR as you call it, I still remember a green scooter which one of my favorite mechanic did in those days, this scooter has a beautiful body line which makes them eye catchy, a perfect example you can see is Rahul's scooter.

For now change the break liners, inner cables, tighten or change the inner cables for clutch, gears (both), oiling the acceleration cable clean the carburattor, engine oil 20-40 grade. Check lights and all other electrical and it should be fine till you take a plunge into complete restoration.

As I read in your do list that you wanted to change the floor, you meant change the floor mat or entire floor panel if so, then you have to take up the complete restoration because changing of floor panel will burn the wiring, cable etc and the new floor has to be treated with paint if not it is very easy to catch rust and all the efforts would end up in vain. You can also opt for a LML front dickey if not the bajaj ones as they give good look and can serve the purpose ( keeping the documents, cloth and couple of spanners wound in the cloth) my persona observation Bajaj super with LML box look awesome, I can help you in any requirement and please feel free to approach me and hope to see you in next meet friend.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:31   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rahul and yes, your 1982 does for sure have company of its younger 1985 sibling. Who knows, your 118 might also get a sibling one fine day. Keeping fingers crossed.
Great to hear that the classic scooter and classic car virus is spreading! May our tribe increase! My 1982 Bajaj Super originally had a handle bar with rectangular head lamp. When I got it painted red, I had exchanged the handle bar and got one having a round head lamp. The focus of the rectangular one was very bad. Since I was using the scooter daily, I did not want to compromise on safety. Now I miss the looks of the rectangular head lamp handle bar. Keep an eye out if you happen to find a handle bar with a rectangular head lamp. Although the focus might be poor but it does give a different/unique look to the scooter.

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:47   #279
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil I know a guy in Bazarghat who owns a Bajaj 150 with rectangular headlight...perhaps we can strike a deal with him.IMHO rectangulat headlight will give it a retro look.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 15:14   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
My 1982 Bajaj Super originally had a handle bar with rectangular head lamp. When I got it painted red, I had exchanged the handle bar and got one having a round head lamp.
Now I miss the looks of the rectangular head lamp handle bar. Keep an eye out if you happen to find a handle bar with a rectangular head lamp. Although the focus might be poor but it does give a different/unique look to the scooter.
Congrats nikhil!

I'm not much a Bajaj fan but I did like the older trapezoid headlights on the early Chetaks and Supers.

Rahul: I had a 1987 Super for a while at Vizag. And it of course had the round headlamp but I did to it quite the opposite of what you did to your super- I actually wanted an older trapezoid headlight model but there were none I could find around there at the time. So the mech. there got me a brand NEW (maybe NOS) trapezoid headlamp handlebar with headlamp and I had it fitted to my scooter.

I got the scoot done up soon after buying it, painted it ORANGE to make it look different. It sure stood out in a place like Vizag especially!

I used it for barely for 6 months though, had some issues with it that couldnt be rectified. Sold it to the same mech. while moving back to hyd. in 2006.

I hope you find the original handlebar for your scooter. For your interest, here's one in quite original condition I spotted the other day at Secunderabad.

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-img_9034.jpg
Old 5th July 2011, 15:32   #281
BHPian

Bala Bhai, Ram Bhai & Rahul, you would be surprised how meticulously my grand father planned everything on this scooter, especially getting the "Fuel Tank Skirt" fixed on the rear seat. I know, there is nothing called as Fuel Tank Skirt, but I just got this name for that design element he added on the rear seat. This is a sort of an extension of the rear seat, which is used to cover the Fuel Tank, so that the leaking/spillage of oil doesnot spoil your clothes.

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-fueltankskirt.jpg
Old 5th July 2011, 15:58   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Congrats nikhil!

I'm not much a Bajaj fan but I did like the older trapezoid headlights on the early Chetaks and Supers.
I think it was available only on chetaks, I may be wrong also. My uncle used to have one in surf / blue powder blue color. The Speedo meter was also of triangular variety.

Between my father and my ulcle we had shared stuff like suvega, varios lamby's, fantabulous, vespa, bobby, rajdoot, bajaj, Landmaster, mark I to IV Amby's to name a few. Sadly all were replinished with new generation vehicles even before I had my senses. My father even had a ford for brief amount of time (3 months to be approx) .
Old 5th July 2011, 23:39   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I think it was available only on chetaks, I may be wrong also. My uncle used to have one in surf / blue powder blue color. The Speedo meter was also of triangular variety.

Between my father and my ulcle we had shared stuff like suvega, varios lamby's, fantabulous, vespa, bobby, rajdoot, bajaj, Landmaster, mark I to IV Amby's to name a few. Sadly all were replinished with new generation vehicles even before I had my senses. My father even had a ford for brief amount of time (3 months to be approx) .
The trapezoid handles were also there for bajaj super however was taken from early cheatak which had a similar speedo meter which continued till the end (the normal cheatak handle), round ones came first to Priya with a little lengthy suspension sprint and then carried till cub/cub electronic.

I can understand Manish how painful it to you loosing gems and if at least one two were there today you would have been felt a lucky man isn't it?

Quote:
Bala Bhai, Ram Bhai & Rahul, you would be surprised how meticulously my grand father planned everything on this scooter, especially getting the "Fuel Tank Skirt" fixed on the rear seat. I know, there is nothing called as Fuel Tank Skirt, but I just got this name for that design element he added on the rear seat. This is a sort of an extension of the rear seat, which is used to cover the Fuel Tank, so that the leaking/spillage of oil doesnot spoil your clothes.

Attachment 572656
The so called "Fuel Tank Skirt" was actually meant to stop water seeping into the tank in rainy days as there were few with lock facility wherein the key hole was an direct invitation for water to get mixed with petrol, yes the other goodness of the skirt could as you mentioned saving cloths from getting soiled.
Old 6th July 2011, 14:14   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Bala Bhai, Ram Bhai & Rahul, you would be surprised how meticulously my grand father planned everything on this scooter, especially getting the "Fuel Tank Skirt" fixed on the rear seat.
Nice innovative idea! As Bala pointed out, it will be useful during monsoons. Ensure to dry the cover in case you drive in the rain. Usually what happens is that on most of the scooters, the hole from where the petrol is filled does not have a rubber ring. This causes some petrol to spill out when the tank is filled causing the oil-dust layer to form on the top of the fuel tank. Ensure that you have a rubber ring fitted (use the one made by Senior) and also make sure that the fuel tank lid also has a rubber ring inside. So when you close the lid, both these rings give a proper sealing so that the petrol will not spill out and the formation of the oil-dust layer on top of the fuel tank will be greatly reduced.

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 6th July 2011, 22:21   #285
Senior - BHPian

LML Supremo

It has been my endevour to collect every Vespa / LML model in India since they were lauched post independance.Im happy to say that i already have 6 in my collection and its time to add the LML Supremo...7th one in line.
Currently stationed in Paris,the buying bug couldnt stop me from 6000kms odd,when my mechanic called and said that a pristine LML Adreno reached our Radar.
With out batting an eye lid,i went ahead and gave my GO AHEAD and today evening the Supremo reached my place.
The restoration will begin as soon as I reach back to India next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-img00114201107061834.jpg  

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-img00116201107061834.jpg  

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-img00118201107061835.jpg  

Hyderabad Classic Scooter Club (HCSC)-img00120201107061835.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks