Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 12:41   #346

RJays Helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Rjays Striker Helmet - webBikeWorld

Review of the Rjay Striker. Seems to have gotten a thumbs-up from the reviewer. It was at a higher pricepoint (US$231) 2 years ago to what we are getting today(~INR7.5k). Unsure of the international price today.
Retail for the RJays Striker in Australia is still AUD 179.95, which is slightly higher than the official price of the helmet in India, which is Rs 7,499. And it is DOT, SNELL and AS1698 approved
Old 17th June 2010, 13:40   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello folks - Posting these pictures on behalf of 82Rawath as he was having issues uploading them.
Thankyou Mantrig for posting the pics of my Helmet

Last edited by 82rawath : 17th June 2010 at 13:40. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 20th June 2010, 00:12   #348
BHPian

Today I went helmet hunting and what an experience it was! First, scouted around Siddaiah Road, close to J.C.Road and found that most of them first want to show the customers their cheapest helmets. That's what customers want, don't they? Sheesh! Didn't find anything satisfying and found that the range were limited.

Moved to Lalbagh fort road and the first pitstop there was Balaji Helmet Palace. The place is teeming with people and found that this guy has a lot of variety. Since I quoted a price of 2k, he showed me a Vega a chin-up style full face helmet. This also has a secondary visor which acts like goggles. The price for the plain matte finish is Rs. 1700 and with stickers cost Rs.1750.

Went to couple of more shops and found that the price range is almost the same, more or less 50 bucks. One thing which I observed the sales guy doing is, they simply shove the helmet on your head when you least expect. I was sweating a lot and they didn't bother!! I don't want to soil new helmets and before I can speak, "Try saar" Whoosh! Thing is on your head and he's telling you to look into the mirror One more thing which was observed is that the helmets actually lack refinement. After seeing few pics here, I had a lot of expectations and I was kind of let down. The only helmet which really impressed me was the helmet with the Che Guevara which someone has.

Only for that helmet did he ask the other sales guy to hand him a sweat cap. The finish is good and a perfect fit!! But, too expensive for my pocket. Cost 8k! I was too confused and returned without buying any helmet.

The discussion here about which is real and which is fake makes me worry as to which brand exactly I should be going for.
Old 28th June 2010, 11:58   #349
Senior - BHPian

Have to get a new lid soon as the one I was using was too big for me. Tried out KBC at Orion Yamaha (Blore) and medium fit me fine. I've also narrowed down my search to 2 models and found them on ebay which costs me roughly around 7.8k INR each including shipping. Here are the pics of the helmets from KBC which I am interested in. Does anyone know where I can get a better deal like motorcycle closeout's etc.?

P.S. Need to buy urgently as I am without a lid and till it arrives the Ninja has to chill at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
Moved to Lalbagh fort road and the first pitstop there was Balaji Helmet Palace. The place is teeming with people and found that this guy has a lot of variety..... The only helmet which really impressed me was the helmet with the Che Guevara which someone has.
Balaji helmets and helmet paradise (next to MTR) is owned by the same guys. These people overquote their helmets a lot. Stand your ground and bargain hard. Walk out and they'll agree to your price. You'll realize later that the same lid will actually cost you even 1-2k lesser at other places.

I have decided to spend my money on the net though.

By the way that Che Guevara helmet is mostly a Sparx helmet and costs 7k or 7.5k. You can try Orion motors (yamaha outlet) in front of Forum (bannerghatta road). They stock imported and indian lid's at their store and have a decent collection of riding gear also.
Attached Images

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th June 2010 at 12:01.
Old 28th June 2010, 12:26   #350
BANNED

Apart from reguler full face helmets recently i ordered these open face helmets, looks quite nice so picked.
YAMAHA OPEN FACE HELMET 100% AUTHENTIC + NO GOGGLES !!: eBay Motors (item 250655578471 end time Jun-29-10 21:12:34 PDT)
and
GRATUIT visière vespa scooter retro casque moto neuf - eBay (item 180524528247 end time Jun-30-10 09:34:16 PDT)
Old 28th June 2010, 22:18   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
For people who can afford to import helmets or go for the premium brands/models, you can read the reviews here Motorcycle Helmets - webBikeWorld before ordering. They have few good reviews on YouTube as well.
Thanks for the link dude. I settled for the Sparx after reading the review's above. This model scored higher than the KBC's that I had shortlisted. Thanks again

So here is my newest helmet. Its the Sparx Hornet, bought from Orion Yamaha.

Comes with a gloss finish and its a very nice and tight fit. Should loosen up once the cheek pads break-in. Too early to comment on ventilation but i could feel the air sweeping into the lid from the eyebrow vents and from the front chin vent. Cost me around 8.5k.

Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hornet-1.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hornet-2.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hornet-3.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th June 2010 at 22:20.
Old 28th June 2010, 22:48   #352
BHPian

Lovely helmet aditya ! Do they have it in other colors & patterns ?

Did it score higher than the KBC ? I thought the Sparx is a step lower than KBC, more on the affordable side ?
Old 28th June 2010, 22:55   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Lovely helmet aditya ! Do they have it in other colors & patterns ? Did it score higher than the KBC ? I thought the Sparx is a step lower than KBC, more on the affordable side ?
Thanks Nirmal. Sparx has quite a few designs but this one comes in only one shade. Only a couple of Sparx helmets are glossy while most are matt finished.

I liked some designs in KBC but after reading a review here i decided to invest in Sparx as it scored higher than the KBC's that i had in mind.

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th June 2010 at 22:56.
Old 29th June 2010, 14:43   #354
Senior - BHPian

Edit - Got info that since this is a special edition helmet, it comes with 2 visors. A clear one and a smoked one. Since the lid had only the clear one, I called Orion yamaha where I picked it up yesterday and spoke to the staff. The sales guy did not know that I was supposed to get the extra smoked visor with the lid. Went again to Orion and picked up the smoked visor.

So anyone buying a SparX special edition helmet, please insist on 2 visors (clear and smoked). You also get a pair of ear plugs, 2 stickers, manual, a pair of eye brow vents in case the ones on the visor break.
Old 29th June 2010, 16:00   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I need a good quality open face helmet to replace my aging Ninja. I prefer something that has a visor and which can fit in the scooter's storage space. Any particular brands/model that I can look to.
Hmm, it is about time I bought one too---the only one I bought and wore for donkey's years was a Studds ABS Polymer of Sep 1984 vintage. The only thing I changed was the inner lining and cushion once a decade ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I got the Vega Eclipse, Suits my purpose and sits in the Access. Not very happy with the coloured visor, very cheap.
Can you please post a snap? How much did it cost you?
Old 30th June 2010, 19:15   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hmm, it is about time I bought one too---the only one I bought and wore for donkey's years was a Studds ABS Polymer of Sep 1984 vintage. The only thing I changed was the inner lining and cushion once a decade ago.
Can you please post a snap? How much did it cost you?
This is how it looks like. Mine is matt black. Has a smoked goggle like visor also which is ok, but cheap quality, works like a sunglass. Cost about 900Rs.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-vega_helmettransit.jpg  

Old 14th July 2010, 21:41   #357

Does anyone know of an authorized Cross showroom in B'lore, if any?

The shops in JC Road seems to have only 2/3 models, and that only specific sizes. I had liked an open face Cross (don't recall the exact model), but it was XXL and he didn't have any lower size.
Old 15th July 2010, 11:53   #358
Senior - BHPian

Spiderman

Didn't know where to post hence posting here. Spotted a guy wearing a similar helmet in Dadar yesterday. Kinda cool but I don't know how good such helmets are.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-spiderman-helmet.jpg  

Old 17th August 2010, 18:00   #359
BHPian

STUDDS makes some very good quality helmets but the designs are very old and not appealing to the youth . They are tied up with Honda but yet the design is very alien.
Guys if ur listening do something for college goers and the youth of india.
Also the dealers in bangalore and hyderabad say u dont send stocks to them plz look into ur supply management also.
Recently purchased a studds industrial helmet and a bravo devil for myself as the old one got stolen.
Guys is there any way we can customise our helmets .One way i have thought is put my name in sticker on it what ur take?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by bblost : 18th August 2010 at 07:16. Reason: Please Check the post. Thanks.
Old 27th September 2010, 19:48   #360
BHPian

I was looking for a helmet I could live with in the Bombay heat, now that the monsoon is over. My Sparx helmet gets a little warm to wear, especially towards mid-day. The little vents on it just don't give enough ventilation. And the thick padding makes for a sweaty experience.

I settled on the Givi X01 - some pics below. It's a pretty rare helmet. Only a few online stores have it. I ordered it from designerhelmets.com and was pretty impressed by how quickly they dispatched it.

The best feature of the helmet is its 'summer' chin guard which has huge vents that let in lots of air. The modular design lets you swap it for a cold weather chin guard that resembles a traditional helmet (not sure when I'll use this - maybe if I'm riding up North). Apparently its safety certified as a full-face helmet in both configurations. So it's the best of both worlds - protection and ventilation - in the heat.

The only downside is the customs import duty. The break up is as follows:-
Basic Customs Duty = 10%.
CVD (countervailing duty) 10% on Assessable value + Basic Customs duty = 11%.
3% Educational duty on CVD = 0.33%.
3% Higher Educational duty on Basic + CVD + Cess = 0.64%.
4% Additional Customs Duty on Assessable value + Basic + CVD + = 4.88%

That's a total of 26.85% - pretty steep if you ask me. Hopefully the cool breeze flowing through my new Givi will help soothe the pain [SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0794.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0796.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0797.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_0799.jpg
[SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks