Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 22:55   #436
BANNED

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Nice option joshguy, even i will be getting one for myself very shortly, but maybe i will stick to Matt black finish considering it matches by bike color,
All and all a very good buy, how much did it cost you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag47 View Post
I recently bought a Vega "Boolean" matt finish modular helmet for Rs. 1600 /-. It's the same model as shown in the pic by joshguy, and I'm quite happy with it!

Anurag
@ sridhar - I too have a matt black vega with me,but my bro started using it so am buying another one,and for a difference i went in for white.Guess it will bring down the chennai heat down a bit

@ anurag - i dont think mine is a good buy as far as the price is considered.the sales person never reduced even 1 rupee on the price quoted and no value addition too.i got it for 1700 and plain without stickers was 1460.the moment he showed me the helmet i liked it.

Anyway i dont use bike for more that 50km a month so i think i can maintain the white as white atleast for few years

Last edited by joshguy : 7th March 2011 at 22:57.
Old 11th March 2011, 17:10   #437
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a helmet for my wife - she is getting a new Suzuki Access.
What kind of helmet should we go for?
Ideally I would look for something less than 2000 rupees- white in colour to match the scooter, light weight and which can be suitable to both the sexes.
Any suggestions?
Old 11th March 2011, 18:17   #438
BHPian

Go for a Vega open face helmet, will easily come within your budget and advantage of an open face helmet is that it has a unisex design but i have one question, head sizes generally wont be the same so that can be a concern as helmet must be a perfect fit for safety reasons
So consider as per your choice but do not compromise on safety and fit of the helmet
Old 11th March 2011, 22:57   #439
Senior - BHPian

^Thanks Shridhar. Will keep that in mind.
BTW: Can you recommend some place in Pune where I could get Vega helmets?
Old 11th March 2011, 23:24   #440
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tips To Buy A Good Helmet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Err, I have to decided to up my budget by a bit and go for RJays.

I checked their web-site and found a couple within 5K with good quality. (padding vents etc)

Got myself an LS2 Dragon in red/black. Though it tries to ape bigger helmets in fit & construction, it falls behind.

Still I would rate it a deserving 5 star for being sheer VFM.
Old 11th March 2011, 23:39   #441
BHPian

For me, I feel that the open face helmets are just complete hogwash. You might save your head, but may end up breaking your jaw or a pair of your front teeth. I wouldn't want to see myself end up with that or hit the chin on the tarmac at 60kmph by taking a half-face helmet when I can afford a full-face one. I don't know, but I never found those half-faced ones reliable, once I wore my friend's half-face just for experimenting and within a kilometer, switched back to my full-faced shell!

Back to the topic, you can get many full-faced helmets in that range too. Check out Vega's boolean range, I guess that can be converted into a half-face when needed (not sure, just heard about it). Are you searching for a helmet which fits in the storage space below the seat?

Quote:
Got myself an LS2 Dragon in red/black. Though it tries to ape bigger helmets in fit & construction, it falls behind.

Still I would rate it a deserving 5 star for being sheer VFM.
What size did you get it in? And how many air-vents does it have? One of my friend has the same but he got a dark visor with it, which he says is a pain while using at night.

Last edited by prateekm : 11th March 2011 at 23:43.
Old 12th March 2011, 13:43   #442
BHPian

@preetamk: I agree, open face helmets are not as safe as full face helmets, but when you are driving in city conditions ona casual day but in summer, full face helmets make u feel very irritated, IMHO it is always better to have both
Old 12th March 2011, 21:16   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Are you searching for a helmet which fits in the storage space below the seat?
Yes. Storing it in the space below the seat is also another aspect that we need to consider. Will search for the Vega helmets here.
Old 13th March 2011, 09:13   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What size did you get it in? And how many air-vents does it have? One of my friend has the same but he got a dark visor with it, which he says is a pain while using at night.
I got the size L and its larger for me. (someone brought it along despite saying multiple times that my head size is 54 cms which equals to size S but the shop keeper was adamant saying that its the smallest they have in stock ) Wearing it with a skull-cap or balaclava helps.
Its for my daily commutes and I got another nice good helmet for long rides.

Please ask him to buy a clear visor and keep it in his bag. Its a tool-less removal and he can interchange them in a minute.

As a rule I carry both. ALWAYS. Iridium or mercury visors provide the best of both worlds in an emergency.
Old 13th March 2011, 09:23   #445
BHPian

Quote:
I got the size L and its larger for me. (someone brought it along despite saying multiple times that my head size is 54 cms which equals to size S but the shop keeper was adamant saying that its the smallest they have in stock ) Wearing it with a skull-cap or balaclava helps.
Its for my daily commutes and I got another nice good helmet for long rides.

Please ask him to buy a clear visor and keep it in his bag. Its a tool-less removal and he can interchange them in a minute.

As a rule I carry both. ALWAYS. Iridium or mercury visors provide the best of both worlds in an emergency.
Umm, a couple of questions.

1. Do you get a skull cap with the helmet or you need to purchase it? If so, what's the approx cost.

2. How much do you have to pay for an extra visor?

3. The strap mechanism I saw was pretty new, something unique as compared to the click mechanism I am using. I have never used a costly helmet, so no idea about it. Is this mechanism safe? And how much time does it take in strapping up?
Old 13th March 2011, 10:17   #446
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Do you get a skull cap with the helmet or you need to purchase it? If so, what's the approx cost.
Yes and No. The costly ones do not provide a skull cap, but do provide ear-plugs. The lesser ones provide a skull-cap. (specifically speaking about SparX and LS2)

Quote:
2. How much do you have to pay for an extra visor?
For SparX its pegged at Rs.800 (the simple ones dark/clear) and for LS2 its perhaps retailed at Rs.500

Quote:
3. The strap mechanism I saw was pretty new, something unique as compared to the click mechanism I am using. I have never used a costly helmet, so no idea about it. Is this mechanism safe? And how much time does it take in strapping up?
Those are called D-ring lock mechanism, absolutely safe and recommended. All helmets which are DOT/ECE/Snell approved come with the D ring mechanism. (All the highends Arai, Shoei, Suomy, Nolan, HJC, Bell, Shark etc)
It takes 7-8 seconds for me to strap it up or take it off. Watch a video on You Tube demonstrating the same, practice in-front of mirror and you shall get used to wearing it in seconds.
Old 13th March 2011, 22:32   #447
BHPian

This is a quick reply- After scouting around for helmets from ones made out of Bournvita cans, to Chinese ones to classic India ones, AND some that possibly Rossi wore...

I purchased a RJays from Bacchoo at Tardeo, Mumbai.

Apex model, the large size fit well, and though it seemed heavy in the hand the weight is distributed well across the entire top and sides, so it really doesnt feel as if a stone is sitting on your head.

The visibility is good and the ventilation is EXCELLENT.

Along with that I also picked up a straightforward (design wise, I mean) Octane jacket... which will make its outing one of the coming weekends.

KD
Old 14th March 2011, 12:46   #448
Senior - BHPian

If this can be of any help for chennai buyers:-

I just picked up a LS2 Rage FF301 helmet for 1750 rs. I picked this up from the Pioneer show room near 1000 lights.

The helmet came with the LS2 box, the carry bag and the usual booklet, stickers and papers. There is no warranty for the helmet (probably the reason why the price is relatively low).

Do get it touch with me if you want to know the exact place.

Note:- The visor is tinted mildly which can be used at night if you have good lights and the fit is very snuggly.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ls2bd2.jpg  

Last edited by VW2010 : 14th March 2011 at 12:47.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:22   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If this can be of any help for chennai buyers:-

I just picked up a LS2 Rage FF301 helmet for 1750 rs. I picked this up from the Pioneer show room near 1000 lights.

The helmet came with the LS2 box, the carry bag and the usual booklet, stickers and papers. There is no warranty for the helmet (probably the reason why the price is relatively low).

Do get it touch with me if you want to know the exact place.

Note:- The visor is tinted mildly which can be used at night if you have good lights and the fit is very snuggly.

Thats a nice helmet. would definitely like to know the place where it is bought as i may be visiting in a couple of weeks.

Btw are there any stores in Hyderabad where we can find the Ls2 or Mpa Agv helmets etc? Please do let me know.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:51   #450
Senior - BHPian

Vega helmet: white, open-faced with ventilation is around Rs. 1600 at Nana Peth.
AGM helmet: (non open-faced) is around Rs. 650 (this is an Indian brand). This was a better fit for my wife, but in terms of looks, Vega was better.
Will go to the shops myself this weekend to explore further.

As far as seat height adjustment is concerned, will post that in another thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks